Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a "DSL" cable for my eir router. Are they all the same?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I got an ethernet cable so I could move my router to a different part of the room, but it turns out it's a smaller version of a cable the router needs - DSL.

So, I had a quick look on Amazon and there's a lot of "Premium Quality" and "Top Speeds Maximum Speed" etc

Are they all the same or is there some sort of spec I should be looking for?

My max broadband speed is 100mb.

Can I just buy any of them? For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-Telephone-Modular-Connector-Internet-White/dp/B08BHT7N7X/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=dsl+cable&qid=1605898710&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sr=8-7

Check if you have an old phone in the house - it's the same standard cable with an RJ11 connector. I'm fairly sure places like Dealz and Euro Giant sell them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got an ethernet cable so I could move my router to a different part of the room, but it turns out it's a smaller version of a cable the router needs - DSL.

So, I had a quick look on Amazon and there's a lot of "Premium Quality" and "Top Speeds Maximum Speed" etc

Are they all the same or is there some sort of spec I should be looking for?

My max broadband speed is 100mb.

Can I just buy any of them? For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-Telephone-Modular-Connector-Internet-White/dp/B08BHT7N7X/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=dsl+cable&qid=1605898710&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sr=8-7

Are you sure your internet is provided by DSL in this day and age? Who's your provider and how does your current connection from the road come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Inquitus wrote: »
    Are you sure your internet is provided by DSL in this day and age? Who's your provider and how does your current connection from the road come in?

I think it would still be common for a modem to be connected to the phone socket.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think it would still be common for a modem to be connected to the phone socket.

Maybe if you live in ballyfekinnowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I live just outside it.

Seriously though I think ‘up to 100mb’ products would still be common enough even up in the big smoke.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I live just outside it.

Seriously though I think ‘up to 100mb’ products would still be common enough even up in the big smoke.

But the "up to" is a massive lie, you need to be literally next to the exchange to have any hope of getting those speeds, most people are lucky to get a fraction of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

No idea how it comes in from the road. I'm just outside cork city.

But it's eir, got it installed a month ago. The wire is coming out of one of those little white phone box things attached to the wall and into the back of the router.

The speed is up to 100mb and I'm getting about 85mb on WiFi so not too bad.

Anyway are all these wires the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's VDSL. 90% of the country is served by it :rolleyes:

Don't buy a sh1t flat cable. What works for a phone can be crap for xDSL. You need something that's twisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

But the "up to" is a massive lie, you need to be literally next to the exchange to have any hope of getting those speeds, most people are lucky to get a fraction of that.

I live 200m from the exchange and get 90/20mbit. There are great speeds available up to 600m

ED E wrote: »
    It's VDSL. 90% of the country is served by it :rolleyes:

Don't buy a sh1t flat cable. What works for a phone can be crap for xDSL. You need something that's twisted.

Got a link for a proper cable? What am I searching for? Twisted DSL? One of these? https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computer-accessories/cables/silver-12ft-irish-telephone-handset-cord-black.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Got a link for a proper cable? What am I searching for? Twisted DSL? One of these? https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computer-accessories/cables/silver-12ft-irish-telephone-handset-cord-black.html

No, that's coiled handset cable and the plugs on it aren't RJ11.

An electrical wholesalers (most have retail outlets) have it and they might crimp on the RJ11 plugs for you if they don't have preterminated cable.

Example of what you need...
    https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/search?controller=search&search_query=ADSL+2%2B+High+Speed+Broadband+Modem+Cable+RJ11+to+RJ11

Other option is to get a pair of RJ11 plug to RJ45 socket adapters and use the Ethernet cable you have...

https://cpcireland.farnell.com/kauden/bk4509/line-adaptor-rj11-plug-rj45-socket/dp/CS31561

That's a flat cable. Good luck with having any speed left if you use that. Get an Ethernet cable and get rj11 to rj45 adapters on Amazon

That's a flat cable. Good luck with having any speed left if you use that. Get an Ethernet cable and get rj11 to rj45 adapters on Amazon

I'm already using a 1 meter version of this flat cable and speeds are 85mb when I'm paying for "up to 100mb".

Just need something a bit longer.

I'm already using a 1 meter version of this flat cable and speeds are 85mb when I'm paying for "up to 100mb".

Yes it's not recommended to use longer than 1m unless you use a proper twisted pair cable, like the dropwire that delivers it to your house. You can also move the master socket using cat5e to extend the dropwire. Extending with a flat cable without twists will drastically cut your speed. You are within 200m from the cabinet/exchange on a perfect line if your getting 85mbit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Flat cable will work but speeds might drop a bit over longer cable...probably not as big an issue at 80Mbps than if you were only getting 10Mbps normally. There's no harm using it but you should probably try to get the twisted pair phone cable or RJ11 adaptors for the Ethernet cable if speed drops too much over flat cable.

Ok fair enough, thanks for the help folks. Will pick up one of the cables from that Kenable website.

Advertisement