Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SuperWheel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

energy is always conserved, it cannot be created or destroyed

The what?

The concept reminds me of the old perpetuum mobile idea: https://www.wienerzeitung.at/_em_daten/_cache/image/1xgKsc-DerrZZelomISkx3Cas1_RvRXGAflxQf_LzhJCapELaoQMJ04E8bSgyZ4IXkC6sULXljqlSIxbG3uxTXcSf5TeSYq_TZVQ4vdDKER3TtCjb5-JzO1w/200828-1123-948-0900-287327-perpetuum-mobile.jpg

Not being an engineer myself, but it seems that the torque generated by a momentary application of weight will be followed by reaction from the springs when the wheel is unweighted - therefore the same torque will be generated in an opposite direction, effectively slowing the bike down +/- the same amount it has accelerated. Equilibrium etc.

Smells like scam to me.
    energy is always conserved

Yeah, sure. Did they ever hear of entropy?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Damn it’s ugly! Makes disc brakes look cool!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'an efficiency improvement of over 30 per cent compared to a standard wheel.' - what does this actually mean? on a bike, the efficiency is not affected much at all by the wheels. even if they did somehow make the *wheel* more efficient, it's such a small part of the equation that i can't see much benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It did strike me as highly unlikely to make much difference, but I don't really follow how it's supposed to make much difference anyway.

It did remind me of this, to follow on the comparison of the perpetual motion machine already made (a comparison that was put to them and rejected already):
    533634.jpeg

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »

Not being an engineer myself, but it seems that the torque generated by a momentary application of weight will be followed by reaction from the springs when the wheel is unweighted - therefore the same torque will be generated in an opposite direction, effectively slowing the bike down +/- the same amount it has accelerated. Equilibrium etc.

I assume so too.

Alek wrote: »
    Yeah, sure. Did they ever hear of entropy?

I think entropy doesn't entail so much the loss of energy, as much as the loss of energy that can do work. Which is relevant to this sort of application, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think entropy doesn't entail so much the loss of energy, as much as the loss of energy that can do work. Which is relevant to this sort of application, of course.

The unavailability of energy to do work, as opposed to loss of that energy.

cletus wrote: »
    The unavailability of energy to do work, as opposed to loss of that energy.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the conversion of energy that can do work into energy that can't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is this supposed to work like a clockwork toy, that winds itself up on downhills and then you can release the energy, whenever you want?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't see any method for that energy storage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm dying to see how the extra 10 kg will make me climb faster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm dying to see how the extra 10 kg will make me climb faster

It's a SuperWheel. Like Superman but a wheel. It can do super stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I don't see any method for that energy storage though.

I doubt this is how the wheel is built, but Williams F1 built a very interesting purely mechanical KERS system. I believe it is in use in larger vehicles like busses.

"Williams F1 KERS explained - Racecar Engineering" https://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/williams-f1-kers-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blackmadra

Well they based out of Dundalk IT...Irelands answer to Harvard. Lets hope there is no tax payer money spent invested into this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

blackmadra wrote: »
    Lets hope there is no tax payer money spent invested into this
    Too late:
    According to the Technological Higher Education Association (THEA), Chan received Enterprise Ireland Innovation Voucher funding to support his work on prototype development, plus additional support from Dundalk Institute of Technology – where Chan’s company is now based.

Advertisement