Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

anewme wrote: »
    Keep it simple.

If apartment 7 can have a pet, but apartment 8 cant because they are a social tenant, that is clear discrimination.

You can't stop apartment owners having pets, the social housing units aren't allowed pets because their landlords have decided not to allow pets. It's fairly simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anewme wrote: »
    Keep it simple.

If apartment 7 can have a pet, but apartment 8 cant because they are a social tenant, that is clear discrimination.

Apartment 7 own their floors and furniture. A housing association supply and maintain everything in apartment 8 , shocking that they may have more of a financial interest in a couch not being ripped apart by a dog

Im a fan of pets but the defense social tenants get for owning them against the rules or their treatment like owning one is a human right is insane

edit : fold Ireland who are the housing association gave an comment to breaking news 'Fold has a strict no-pets policy' . Done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Piece today on this in on Gript. Surely this case warrants investigation at this stage by a number of government departments? As usual stuff like this will hurt the genuine cases....

https://gript.ie/the-extraordinary-case-of-tenia-karim/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Selik wrote: »
    Piece today on this in on Gript. Surely this case warrants investigation at this stage by a number of government departments? As usual stuff like this will hurt the genuine cases....

https://gript.ie/the-extraordinary-case-of-tenia-karim/
    Christ I am agreeing with John McGuirk....this is what it has come to!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Wonder what an FOI request might reveal here.

Seems extraordinary that someone seemingly well short of even meeting eligibility criteria has managed to jump the queue to such an extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Yamanoto wrote: »

Seems extraordinary that someone seemingly well short of even meeting eligibility criteria has managed to jump the queue to such an extent.

Maybe he has a big family on the way from the homeland, and a 3 bed penthouse earmarked for them all from the same housing agency or council. Would it really be that surprising? ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think we're getting a glimpse behind the curtain of how things are working for some and it makes for unpleasant viewing. Guy "flees" Somewhereistan. Well I suppose he couldn't pull the racism card there. Ends up in Canada, ends up "fleeing" there over racism, rocks up in our country and within a shabbily sort period of time is in a very nice apartment as part of social housing. Then this prick has the neck like a jockey's bollocks to claim further "discrimination" because he can't go to the gym in the place, which was part of the agreement he signed for getting a massively subsidised by the Irish taxpayer roof over his head? Then has the neck defying any current scale of hardness to go public about it, aided and abetted by the usual useful idiot utterly tone deaf "progressive" type who puts him front and centre. One might suppose if one were going for the heartstrings angle she would have put that poor Irish couple in the piece who have tragically buried two of their children up front, but no... because "diversity is our strength" and "white faces won't get as many virtue points" and "dark faces tend to shut down debate".

The thing is I don't actually blame this muppet. I do blame the authorities who encourage this. I do blame some in authority who want to open the anchor baby floodgates again. I do blame whatever civil servants that rubberstamped this. I do blame the NGO's and media muppets living in cloud cuckoo land and/or making money from this. The same bunch of quislings that are so blatant and cocksure of their nonsense. They're the ones who should be hung by their heels. Scammers can only operate where the framework for scamming is present.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The whole thing seems really strange. Given it is a Kitty Holland article I would not be surprised if the whole thing is staged, are they actually even living there?

Selik wrote: »
    ............. Surely this case warrants investigation at this stage by a number of government departments?................

A fair few folk didn't do their job properly I expect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Augeo wrote: »
    A fair few folk didn't do their job properly I expect.
    or more worryingly A are doing their jobs, or what they perceive them to be.
    I suspect GDRP and rights to privacy would be pulled on this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wibbs wrote: »

The thing is I don't actually blame this muppet. I do blame the authorities who encourage this. I do blame some in authority who want to open the anchor baby floodgates again. I do blame whatever civil servants that rubberstamped this. I do blame the NGO's and media muppets living in cloud cuckoo land and/or making money from this. The same bunch of quislings that are so blatant and cocksure of their nonsense. They're the ones who should be hung by their heels. Scammers can only operate where the framework for scamming is present.

Yes, I don't blame the thousands of bogus AS.

If I was living in the Congo, I might also want to leave.

I blame the Irish legal system, the Judges, etc. who make money from this.

I blame the Irish landlords, and FG who support them, who want the State to pay them to put bogus AS in their rural hotel, etc.

I tend to be centre-right, and FG should make it easy to support them, but they don't.

They seem to favour the employers and landlords who want excessive immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Geuze wrote: »

I blame the Irish landlords, and FG who support them, who want the State to pay them to put bogus AS in their rural hotel, etc.

I tend to be centre-right, and FG should make it easy to support them, but they don't.

there is no non bible thumper party in this land that oppose mass migration. Peter Casey was the last non 'holy Joe' politician to stand up to abuse and look at how well he was voted for.

This clown should be deported back to Justin, he can't be an asylum seeker.

Geuze wrote: »

Somewhere along the way FG seems to have taken a slightly left path in some policy areas.

(Or its just rubbing the hand that feeds it with moisturising cream, and giving it a manicure)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Just heard about this story on the radio.

I'd compare it to me buying an economy fare for €20 on a flight and then kicking up a stink that I'm not entitled access to the first class lounge and it's creating a divide and an us and them situation. I have to eat a lower quality meal too. I'm being treated as a second class citizen!

I'm sorry but this is not how the real world works. The purpose of social housing is to prevent you from being homeless. It isn't there to provide luxury extras. The vast majority of social housing units wouldnt have these facilities on site anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

A good few posters here ought to consider becoming Freelance journalists, many of you deserve a fair amount of credit for delving into this and getting eyeballs on a story that so far seems to have only scratched the surface of something far worse going on. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Just heard about this story on the radio.

I'd compare it to me buying an economy fare for €20 on a flight and then kicking up a stink that I'm not entitled access to the first class lounge and it's creating a divide and an us and them situation. I have to eat a lower quality meal too. I'm being treated as a second class citizen!

I'm sorry but this is not how the real world works. The purpose of social housing is to prevent you from being homeless. It isn't there to provide luxury extras. The vast majority of social housing units wouldnt have these facilities on site anyway.

What radio station was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭bureau2009

This case raises a lot of questions as to how:
    • Refugee status is granted
    • Local Authorities allocate properties
    • How Housing Associations operate

A great many people are awaiting answers...…...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I heard it on Newstalk at 12, Mannix Flynn was giving out about it. If I lived in an area Mannix represented and was on a housing list for years and hes going on about how what an injustice that this lad who wandered into Ireland last year, given a luxury apartment and complains he can't use the gym.I'd be knocking on Flynns door. I come from a generation whose parents worked hard to provide everything for their family as compared to the likes of this chancer, Mags Cash etc who expect to be provided with everything, encouraged by the likes of Paul Murphy.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    A good few posters here ought to consider becoming Freelance journalists, many of you deserve a fair amount of credit for delving into this and getting eyeballs on a story that so far seems to have only scratched the surface of something far worse going on. Well done.

I'll admit I shared it with a few...
    The gript took it pretty quick..
    I'd say I wasn't the only one to share it.
    I'm delighted to read the article on the gript.
    Nothing will happen as per usual, but there's a nice satisfaction in knowing that a few blinkers might be open because of it.

• Advertisement

I heard it on Newstalk at 12, Mannix Flynn was giving out about it. If I lived in an area Mannix represented and was on a housing list for years and hes going on about how what an injustice that this lad who wandered into Ireland last year, given a luxury apartment and complains he can't use the gym.I'd be knocking on Flynns door. I come from a generation whose parents worked hard to provide everything for their family as compared to the likes of this chancer, Mags Cash etc who expect to be provided with everything, encouraged by the likes of Paul Murphy.

Agree.
    What was he giving out about?
    Discrimination against this poor soul that came from Canada.
    Or the injustice of said soul receiving the luxury home above others?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A good few posters here ought to consider becoming Freelance journalists, many of you deserve a fair amount of credit for delving into this

There's hope for me yet

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

A good few posters here ought to consider becoming Freelance journalists

None of them would get jobs with "the paper of record" however

Not the first time this rag has published sob first check facts later utter nonsense from Kitty (among others)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Agree.
    What was he giving out about?
    Discrimination against this poor soul that came from Canada.
    Or the injustice of said soul receiving the luxury home above others?

Discrimination against the poor soul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I'd prefer Trumps America compared to how we are living in this country now like bloody idiots. You get the impression anyone earning 30-50k saving up like a loon is a bloody idiot, meanwhile someone sitting on their hole since they left school before junior cert because their arsehole waster father and his waster scum father before him has accommodation handed to them that would be €1k plus a month for a productive person to live in.
    That would be Trump's America where you pay the equivalent of a month's rent for health insurance, after you've paid your rent/mortgage/grub/car/living costs....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

bureau2009 wrote: »
    This case raises a lot of questions as to how:
    • Refugee status is granted
    • Local Authorities allocate properties
    • How Housing Associations operate

A great many people are awaiting answers...…...

Good luck with finding the answers. There is a whole industry out there to protect these "poor angels from war torn nations".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

most decent jobs in the states have medical insurance included in the package -
    along with 412k pension matching scheme, possibly shares, performance bonus etc. Its called
    being rewarded for
    your work.

Unlike here where you are now rewarded more not to work. And people are now so self entitled they think its some working poor sods job to provide them with a gym as well as subsidise their family and rent as well as the discarded ‘no father’ paying properly for the upkeep of their own children ‘homeless’ brigade.

A bit of wake up kick in the hole get a job and pay your way Trumpism would do a lot of them a world of good.

And certainly do a lot of good to the working poor taxpayer and exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's not even that people here are doing an amazing job. It's the simple fact that modern "journalists" are more akin to fictional novelists, so they refuse to do one bit of research, and will gladly present a victim story regardless of its credibility. They have no regard for the fundamentals of good journalism, and care more about their agendas than the truth. You'll see very few journalism lecturers, or anyone at the head of the club, coming out to call out their own, which is very telling. It's a absolutely rotten industry, full of ideologues.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's not even that people here are doing an amazing job. It's the simple fact that modern "journalists" are more akin to fictional novelists, so they refuse to do one bit of research, and will gladly present a victim story regardless of its credibility. They have no regard for the fundamentals of good journalism, and care more about their agendas than the truth. You'll see very few journalism lecturers, or anyone at the head of the club, coming out to call out their own, which is very telling. It's a absolutely rotten industry, full of ideologues.

Our college's are stuffed full of left leaning lecturers. You are not allowed go against that group think and then people wonder why all journalists think the same.

Advertisement