Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

stoneill wrote: »

Too right considering the cost of the concierge and doormen on the main one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Am I right in thinking he could have gym membership if he paid for it?

Don’t the apartment owners also have to pay for the gym as part of their hefty management fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Caquas wrote: »

No it's not a public gym

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

CarProblem wrote: »
    None of them would get jobs with "the paper of record" however

Not the first time this rag has published sob first check facts later utter nonsense from Kitty (among others)

Not to get too far afield, but this is what struck me whilst reading through the thread: they do not need "official" sanction from those who deem themselves professionals. As this case has painfully demonstrated, big money/entitled types (ala Kitty Holland) , are clearly not capable of doing real work. Or rather they don't bother due to the pay rolling in regardless. This kind of lazy, slanted story might have gone on without challenge were it not for a few interested parties having the bright idea to check Tenia's social media. And what a goldmine of info it has proven to be. Would've taken all of 5 minutes for Holland to do that, she just couldn't be arsed.

With the Internet has come opportunity to bypass them altogether, despite their continued seeming domination of the publics attention. I know I look less and less to official outlets for any "real" journalism as the story has usually appeared online somewhere before they get to it anyways.

Anyone with a phone and online access can now produce local journalism, and if it rises to a fairly reliable and consistent standard, has the potential to be rewarded through Patreon, subscribe Star or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

His old gym was about a 10 minute walk away, why didn't he go back there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He wanted a free one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

he couldn't go for a walk as he wasn't allowed have a dog

If thers one silver lining to this chap's jerimiad at least he doesn't have to pick up dogsh1t3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Caquas wrote: »

Don’t the apartment owners also have to pay for the gym as part of their hefty management fees?

No, he offered to pay for it, and thought he could use it if he did. That's his main issue.
    What he doesn't seem to understand is, that it is not discrimination, or it is, and it includes everyone that didn't buy one of the luxury apartments.
    They are the only people that can use that gym. He thought because the apartment he has been housed in, was in the overall complex that he could use the gym once he paid for it, even though he was told before he moved in that he wouldn't be able to have pets, use the roof decking area or use the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Suckit wrote: »
    No, he offered to pay for it, and thought he could use it if he did. That's his main issue.
    What he doesn't seem to understand is, that it is not discrimination, or it is, and it includes everyone that didn't buy one of the luxury apartments.
    They are the only people that can use that gym. He thought because the apartment he has been housed in, was in the overall complex that he could use the gym once he paid for it, even though he was told before he moved in that he wouldn't be able to have pets, use the roof decking area or use the gym.
    Good God, all of this hassle may cause the poor man to flee our discriminatory country and head back to Canada where he initially fled from. I would be very embarrassed to try and explain this man's situation to anyone outside of Ireland. It's very odd that it is almost accepted as just another migrant con in Ireland, but being housed for free by the Irish in a luxury appartment valued at between €700,000 and €950,000, and yet he complains about the gym? We are in a sad state/State.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    he couldn't go for a walk as he wasn't allowed have a dog

now, this is funny.

as it happens, i live near a mid-range area; and the place in coming-down in dog-walkers. yes, dogs are wonderful and fun. But so many of these people have secure, big, houses. Why do they not have another child? Surely it's better to walk with a little-one ?

now, this is funny.

as it happens, i live near a mid-range area; and the place in coming-down in dog-walkers. yes, dogs are wonderful and fun. But so many of these people have secure, big, houses. Why do they not have another child? Surely it's better to walk with a little-one ?

Jasis, I don't know...

Sometimes I think if the right dog was offered in exchange, I might swop for one of mine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jasis, I don't know...

Sometimes I think if the right dog was offered in exchange, I might swop for one of mine
    :D:D:D:pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Niall Boylan is talking about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Looking forward to this guy giving another interview about the horrible "racist" treatment he's receiving in the wake of this story.

He'll be upgraded to a 8 bedroom mansion in Torquay Road in Foxrock before Christmas.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

nullzero wrote: »
    Looking forward to this guy giving another interview about the horrible "racist" treatment he's receiving in the wake of this story.

He'll be upgraded to a 8 bedroom mansion in Torquay Road in Foxrock before Christmas.

with its own private gym.
    and four dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Jasis, I don't know...

You could be on to something there.........:cool::cool::cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This story will disappear off the radar. Kitty Holland needs to stay off the immigrant/traveller sauce stat without any research or backup Danno.

Mr Canada will not be allowed dogs or use of the gym under the rules of the Housing Association. Good.

The rest of us will be paying our mortgage. And his rent lol.

Those who pay for all this largesse will never rise up, far too much dignity, and that is what the SJW's are relying upon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Rewarding the early risers? The early risers are seen by fg as a cash cow here to feed wasters. This should be made an election issue, the lpt should be scrapped and councils can make up the lost revenue by actually collecting the rent and charging proper rents, not a token gesture optional farce! If they were charged a euro a week here, you would have the usual idiots saying " its not free" ...

Ive a mate living near the social apartments in dundrum, who has now felt the need to go to the expense of having cctv and electronic gates installed! Taxes thieved to fund luxury apartment lunacy and then shelling out a wedge, to feel a bit more safe in your own home :rolleyes::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

In 2019, the year Mr. Karim received his apartment, there were 5,643 ‘qualified households’ in Dublin city who had been on the housing list for more than seven years. Another 3,663 had been on the waiting list for 4-7 years.'

https://gript.ie/the-extraordinary-case-of-tenia-karim/

How can a single man, living in Canada, rock up to Ireland in 2019 and be fitted up with a free 700,000 euro luxury apartment by the end of 2020? Is it any wonder that we have a housing crisis?

Very serious questions have to be asked of those who allowed this to happen.

DelaneyIn wrote: »

How can a single man, living in Canada, rock up to Ireland in 2019 and be fitted up with a free 700,000 euro luxury apartment by the end of 2020? Is it any wonder that we have a housing crisis?

A housng and financial crisis! In a country that talks about nothing but "fainrness" tell me how free luxury housing for wasters v hovels at extortionate rents for workers is accetable? All my mates have abandoned voting for the party of lies and supporter of the all day pyjama brigade...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    All my mates have abandoned voting for the party of lies and supporter of the all day pyjama brigade...
    This political message was brought to you by the political party that dare not speak its name.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

10% of any build's are for social housing. The problem is the GOV can't be arsed to build its own housing, so its gets the 10% scraps that would build atleast twice many houses for the same price. Gov controls the finances and has infinate land. Sort it out ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's not even that people here are doing an amazing job. It's the simple fact that modern "journalists" are more akin to fictional novelists, so they refuse to do one bit of research, and will gladly present a victim story regardless of its credibility. They have no regard for the fundamentals of good journalism, and care more about their agendas than the truth. You'll see very few journalism lecturers, or anyone at the head of the club, coming out to call out their own, which is very telling. It's a absolutely rotten industry, full of ideologues.

This is why I stopped buying newspapers years ago. They stopped being newspapers and became opinion-papers.
    Journalism today seems to consist of spending all day on twitter and then remembering that you have 800 words due for your editor at noon, so you just write about whatever you've been sperging about on twitter all morning and call it a story.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    A housng and financial crisis! In a country that talks about nothing but "fainrness" tell me how free luxury housing for wasters v hovels at extortionate rents for workers is accetable? All my mates have abandoned voting for the party of lies and supporter of the all day pyjama brigade...

Well the problem lies with the party that implements these policies. What's it been FFG for the last 100 year's? Wasters will waste, if you let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

mfceiling wrote: »
    Btw they are luxury apartments. They are in a very nice suburb which is close to the city centre and cost considerably more than an equivalent apartment in kimmage, perrystown, Crumlin or any other suburb which is relatively close to Rathgar.

I think it is great that less well off people can be housed in nice areas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

mike kelly wrote: »
    I think it is great that less well off people can be housed in nice areas

Sure let the people actually working commute in from the shitholes

DelaneyIn wrote: »

I've said it several times, we don't have a housing crisis, we have a waster crisis. A huge amount of those on the housing list are there by choice and a huge proportion of RA and social housing has been given to similar minded folk.

• Advertisement

They dont even pay for their own bins etc! I dont believe the luxury housing for a pttance rent should be tolerated any more. Single people can go into co living or studios. Two bed plus properties build cost should be reduced, they can be single aspect, reduce lift count etc all things that significantly increase construction costs.

700k could have bought 3 one bed properties in other areas of dublin!

The councils block as much develoomemt as they can, inflating property and land prices. They then compete against private buyers, pushing up prices further, its a moral disgrace!

Advertisement