Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If a person says do you want a 700k house or a 30k flat in the some ****e hole you would take the 700k one. If you don't agree with that your lying.

Its about choices. And the government gives you choices.

Person: Got a job. Gov: Ok no 700k home.

Person: Got married/co hab with a working person. Gov: Ok no 700k home.

Person: **** that im staying single on the dole. Gov: Hello there's a 700k home, do ya need fuel allowance with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

It really is a bit of a ridiculous situation.

I don't necessairly think the 10% rule is bad. Large council estates aren't the way to go it is better that social housing gets spread around and you can't really put a limit on it to say if the price is over a certain amount the developer shouldn't have to give over 10%.
    But I would have thought and hoped there would be better allocation of properties, so for example a fancy apartment like this should be given to someone who is disabled and would struggle to find employment as opposed to someone who is fully able to work but isn't. Or maybe downsize an older couple who have been good tenants all along who are in a 3 bed and reallocate that to a family.

But to have the audacity to complain when you seem to have somehow skipped up the queue for social housing and completly lucked out in getting an amazing property is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

No gym, not allowed to keep a pony, no space for the trampoline. How does the gov get away with offering the layabouts such shoddy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

cruizer101 wrote: »
    It really is a bit of a ridiculous situation.

I don't necessairly think the 10% rule is bad. Large council estates aren't the way to go it is better that social housing gets spread around and you can't really put a limit on it to say if the price is over a certain amount the developer shouldn't have to give over 10%.
    But I would have thought and hoped there would be better allocation of properties, so for example a fancy apartment like this should be given to someone who is disabled and would struggle to find employment as opposed to someone who is fully able to work but isn't. Or maybe downsize an older couple who have been good tenants all along who are in a 3 bed and reallocate that to a family.

But to have the audacity to complain when you seem to have somehow skipped up the queue for social housing and completly lucked out in getting an amazing property is crazy.

That would be a good idea actually.

The 10% isn't the issue, the issue now is that they buy up in older estates and also the housing agencies. They will take whatever they can get. Minimum they want is 29 houses. So that 10% is soon much more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cruizer101 wrote: »
    This. I have no particular issue with social housing, in fact I support the idea, it's the implementation I have serious problems with. That goes for many areas of the social services in this country.

In this case some foreign chancer shows up and jumps a queue that has other Irish people on it for years and then has the sheer fcuking nerve to complain he can't go to the gym in the complex, when he can go to another gym and apparently has enough spare disposable to pay for that* and then pulls the discrimination line? A line that seems to be his entire MO if his twitter is anything to go by. He should be thrown out of this country with all possible haste and those who OK'd this should be sacked. No ifs buts or maybes.

*I personally know a few people who work hard are raising families with a mortgage, who don't spend on fripperies that because of this bloody virus are pretty hard hit with an uncertain future ahead and his 500 quid fee for a gym membership would be grabbed with both hands in the run up to Christmas.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Augeo wrote: »
    I've said it several times, we don't have a housing crisis, we have a waster crisis. A huge amount of those on the housing list are there by choice and a huge proportion of RA and social housing has been given to similar minded folk.
    I often disagree fervently with you but you've got the nail on the head here. I've been saying this for years too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Wibbs wrote: »
    This. I have no particular issue with social housing, in fact I support the idea, it's the implementation I have serious problems with. That goes for many areas of the social services in this country.

In this case some foreign chancer shows up and jumps a queue that has other Irish people on it for years and then has the sheer fcuking nerve to complain he can't go to the gym in the complex, when he can go to another gym and apparently has enough spare disposable to pay for that* and then pulls the discrimination line? A line that seems to be his entire MO if his twitter is anything to go by. He should be thrown out of this country with all possible haste and those who OK'd this should be sacked. No ifs buts or maybes.

*I personally know a few people who work hard are raising families with a mortgage, who don't spend on fripperies that because of this bloody virus are pretty hard hit with an uncertain future ahead and his 500 quid fee for a gym membership would be grabbed with both hands in the run up to Christmas.

You see this "foreign chancer" as you say is giving these offerings from the government. They align with the EU, they join what ever convention is about. The chancer is merely picking the better option of what's on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

mike kelly wrote: »
    I think it is great that less well off people can be housed in nice areas

Do you think it's great that the people paying for their own housing and the housing of others are left in less desirable areas with long commutes?

Do you think it's great that many people are better off on welfare than working?

Do you think it's great that successive budgets give dole recipients more back than someone on the average working wage?

etc etc

ELM327 wrote: »
    I often disagree fervently with you but you've got the nail on the head here. I've been saying this for years too.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

CarProblem wrote: »
    Do you think it's great that the people paying for their own housing and the housing of others are left in less desirable areas with long commutes?

Do you think it's great that many people are better off on welfare than working?

Do you think it's great that successive budgets give dole recipients more back than someone on the average working wage?

etc etc

Leftys gonna left and wasters gonna waste.

Free houses should come with vaccine testing requirements. Test a vaccine, heres a free house for a year. Otherwise pay up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Limpy wrote: »
    You see this "foreign chancer" as you say is giving these offerings from the government. They align with the EU, they join what ever convention is about. The chancer is merely picking the better option of what's on the table.
    Indeed so. Like I noted earlier in the thread:
    The thing is I don't actually blame this muppet. I do blame the authorities who encourage this. I do blame some in authority who want to open the anchor baby floodgates again. I do blame whatever civil servants that rubberstamped this. I do blame the NGO's and media muppets living in cloud cuckoo land and/or making money from this. The same bunch of quislings that are so blatant and cocksure of their nonsense. They're the ones who should be hung by their heels. Scammers can only operate where the framework for scamming is present.

I'd still throw this muppet out on his ear in double quick time. Of the apartment and this country. And there would be precious few if any places within the EU or any conventions joined that would have this guy "fleeing" the fascist hellhole that is Canada ensconced in a heavily subsidised luxury apartment within 18 months of showing up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't see how social cohesion is furthered by a person with no meaningful linkage is give a property in Rathgar. He doesn't appear to have been in Ireland long enough to grow roots in the locality, he doesn't appear to be a key worker.
    The scoring system doesn't appear to factor this in to the equation.
    As everyone knows single males(and females) who have waited decades to be assigned social housing it appears that the housing list isn't even remotely similar to an orderly queue either.
    The opacity in the housing allocation system only adds to the frustration of those who pay in to the welfare system while deriving precious little from it themselves.
    Irrespective of whether one is struggling or well to do a sense of and belief in fairness is the cornerstone on which Society should operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Leftys gonna left and wasters gonna waste.

Irony of course is surely the real "left" would be pro worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The real left of 1913 is long gone.
    The left now is in favor of the lazy, the bone idle, and the waster.

Politics has always been pro whichever demographic will get them votes/support and political philosophies will always play second fiddle to that. That even goes for dictatorships as well as democracies. Bread and circuses gets and keeps you in power.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    https://gript.ie/the-extraordinary-case-of-tenia-karim/

How can a single man, living in Canada, rock up to Ireland in 2019 and be fitted up with a free 700,000 euro luxury apartment by the end of 2020? Is it any wonder that we have a housing crisis?

Very serious questions have to be asked of those who allowed this to happen.

When I read the original article, I was gobsmacked, to say the least.

And even more so at your man whining about having given up his gym membership in Dartry or wherever.

Having read the article linked, I'm speechless. I really am. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

No.2 , media outlets hire people like her, louise oneill and una mullally to write these click driving reactionary pieces that have little substance but get shared out of disgust / adoration by both extreme sides of the aisle

They’re the reason many people no longer buy the Times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Eoghan Murphy on Newstalk last night when asked about the 'discrimination' by the usual soft ball interviewers on that station replied with the expected 'I am totally against this treatment if it's true blah blah'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Corcaigh84 wrote: »
    Eoghan Murphy on Newstalk last night when asked about the 'discrimination' by the usual soft ball interviewers on that station replied with the expected 'I am totally against this treatment if it's true blah blah'
    The same Eoghan Murphy that tried to convince everyone, as minister for housing that communal living would be like living in a boutique hotel?

Muppet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

When I read the original article, I was gobsmacked, to say the least.

And even more so at your man whining about having given up his gym membership in Dartry or wherever.

Having read the article linked, I'm speechless. I really am. :mad:

Actually makes me ****ing sick reading that bull****. I hope that journo continues the search for answers.

I can only imagine the anger from people who have been waiting years and years for some form of housing, who genuinely deserve it, to read this poor fools sorrows on national news. This country continues to be a joke.

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    Actually makes me ****ing sick reading that bull****. I hope that journo continues the search for answers.
    The one who wrote it Yak? That particular "journalist" couldn't find an answer with GPS and a map with a big red pointer saying "answer here". Her style - ans she's not alone in our media - is to only find an answer to a particular question she's asked. No way in hell will she dig deeper into this. My bet is that she'll either go full radio silence, or double down and shout discrimination and racism for even asking the obvious questions. Having the non local front and centre in the article near guarantees her angle. And what she will see as a deflection and defence against what a real journalist should be asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

People seem to miss the point that this is not really about the money per sae, it is about the ideology that is driving practices such as this. It is a rights without responsibilities post modern marxist agenda at play. How dare you work hard for what you have, how dare you enjoy the fruits of your labour, you're only oppressing those who don't have what you have. Everyone should be the same, and that 'same' will be dictated to you weather you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Corcaigh84 wrote: »
    You mean the most disastrous Housing Minister in the history of mankind is so shameless that he is still doing interviews? If I had his track record I would leave public life - and the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It sounds like some dreamland utopia.... A left political party who is pro worker (bonus points if they go against the identity politics tripe)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

bureau2009 wrote: »
    You mean the most disastrous Housing Minister in the history of mankind is so shameless that he is still doing interviews? If I had his track record I would leave public life - and the country.

Murphy is a pawn, primary blame is taoiseach and the councils... but rip off prices suit them... housing resulted in sf surge last election and fg losi g mamy seats. Its going to be an even bigger factor next election...

Virtually all decision makers here are homeowners, dont need to be a lamdlord to wamt rip pff prices...

Yakult wrote: »

I can only imagine the anger from people who have been waiting years and years for some form of housing, who genuinely deserve it, to read this poor fools sorrows on national news. This country continues to be a joke.

The poor people waiting years for housing, are working their asses off and saving etc, making sacrifices, working mad hours. Not waiting for the free house handout...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, this is what gets me.

The Labour Party should be pro-worker, it's in the name of the party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The one who wrote it Yak? That particular "journalist" couldn't find an answer with GPS and a map with a big red pointer saying "answer here". Her style - ans she's not alone in our media - is to only find an answer to a particular question she's asked. No way in hell will she dig deeper into this. My bet is that she'll either go full radio silence, or double down and shout discrimination and racism for even asking the obvious questions. Having the non local front and centre in the article near guarantees her angle. And what she will see as a deflection and defence against what a real journalist should be asking.

At this juncture,Mr Karim,or whoever he may actually be,is home and dry.
    Ireland as it is currently configured,will be keen to see this charade fizzle out,leaving Mr Karim to safely disappear at his leisure.

There is little point wasting too much oxygen on this gent,as it may well transpire that he has been active in his chosen field for some years across several Countries.

The Irish Times and it's Journalists are however,a different story.

It is now arguable that Ms Holland's article fails to meet any reasonable standard,apart from perhaps,those for fictional conspiracy theories.

It really does fall to the Editor of the Irish Times,Paul O'Neill to at least attempt to maintain these standards across his Title.

Simply remaining silent,when his Newspaper's integrity and standing is compromised by sub-par reporting such as this article represents,will merely serve to further erode the value of both Irish Journalism and the Irish Times circulation figures.

In the meantime,well done Mr Karim,you've played a blinder ....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ELM327 wrote: »
    The real left of 1913 is long gone.
    The left now is in favor of the lazy, the bone idle, and the waster.

Can you cite any party manifesto or policy that backs you up on that?

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    Can you cite any party manifesto or policy that backs you up on that?

Sure fg ate massive waster advocates. Every party here is to the left...

Advertisement