Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Wibbs wrote: »
    Politics has always been pro whichever demographic will get them votes/support and political philosophies will always play second fiddle to that. That even goes for dictatorships as well as democracies. Bread and circuses gets and keeps you in power.

somewhat correct that.

yet, these demographics and philos. are somewhat consequent on structure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The poor people waiting years for housing, are working their asses off and saving etc, making sacrifices, working mad hours. Not waiting for the free house handout...

There are no free houses. Social tenants pay a percentage of their wages towards rent.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    There are no free houses. Social tenants pay a percentage of their wages towards rent.
    ...and social housing tenants in receipt of social welfare who do not work pay their rent with money which has been given to them.
    the average contribution paid toward rent for social housing is 15% of the recipients income be it from wages earned or social welfare paid unearned.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Not enough if bums like this have 500 blips at the ready to pony up for gym memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Just a number of points regarding this discussion :

1) FG are undoubtedly anti-worker, but for the most ridiculous reason, like refusing to build so they can give d&@kheads like this luxury apartments, while they attack SF then claim they help those of us who ‘get up early in the morning’

- they fail at being a centre right party

The British Tories are more pro worker as they pay for healthcare and have much lower dole, and more no nonsense housing authorities

2) This has nothing to do with the EU.
    They don’t tolerate this bs elsewhere, in Germany rent control is for city professionals, not spongers

3) Kitty Holland and others are professional trolls, they are elitist versions of Katy Hopkins, the IT has always been elitist, since it’s unionist days ;
    They are deliberately biased, they are not journalists, they have ever been journalists

4) Just so you know, the print media in Ireland are only surviving as they receive handouts from the taxpayer to keep it afloat, and therefore be pro-government, hence the attacks on internet freedom of speech and social media

5) Worse thing is there will be people who will keep the government in power which allows these scams against the Irish taxpayer and provides real harm to our economy, claiming left wing parties are the fault of this - this is FFG developer policy

6) This ‘Fold’ crowd are hardly a charity.
    The Irish taxpayer pays about 15 billion a year in funding NGOs.
    30,000 “charities” in a pop. of under 5 million
    The same as our health budget
    And all of the talking heads are usually on the payroll, quite happy to be pissing away our money, yet they pretend they are some underdog

The joke is on us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Thought it was almost impossible for a single man to get social housing without being on a housing list for years. Is it because he claimed asylum? Is this what what will happen when DP ends?, asylum seekers go top of the housing list?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Unless they decide not to, which a large %of arrears show

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, a percentage of their "wages", which in most cases are from the taxpayer anyway.
    These contributions are not representative of real rent and therefore can be disregarded as "rent".

I used to date someone that lived in social housing many moons ago and their "rent" was 20 euro a week, for a 3 bed duplex apartment in north dublin, within walking distance of DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

I don't agree with the 'othering' of the tenants in receipt of social housing. It is a good thing that their entrance is not separated and walled off which happens in England. If this mixing of demographics helps those in anyway of integrating with life in Dublin 6 then that is a good thing for society and a good thing especially for their self esteem. Amenities should be for all tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Feets wrote: »
    I don't agree with the 'othering' of the tenants in receipt of social housing. It is a good thing that their entrance is not separated and walled off which happens in England. If this mixing of demographics helps those in anyway of integrating with life in Dublin 6 then that is a good thing for society and a good thing especially for their self esteem. Amenities should be for all tenants.
    How does that align with "making work pay"

Sure why bother working!

Give what those who break their holes to give themselves and their family a better standard of life to those that wont, so their self esteem doesn't suffer.

If the gript story is to be believed, this guy is making a mug of us, enabled by others who know how to mug us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PeasantHater

Great thinking there, should we, the taxpayer, just go ahead and fund the management fees on top of their already laughable “rent” rates to fund all the extra amenities that are available to all those nasty workers that are taking advantage of them while already paying extortionate rental rates?

While we are at it I might as well hand them over the keys to my German metal so they can drive themselves down to the dole office each month, at least I know it will be used for the sole purpose of sponging and not be used to drive to job interviews etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Is this what what will happen when DP ends?, asylum seekers go top of the housing list?

I believe a claim was made of they will be housed within 12 weeks from when they make a claim of asylum .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Gatling wrote: »
    I believe a claim was made of they will be housed within 12 weeks from when they make a claim of asylum .
    Not sure what you mean about a "claim was made". It is the official stated policy of the Green Party, and Roderic O' Gorman (The Children's minister) has stated that this new plan will be implemented, no matter our protestations. Together, with the well paid publicly funded asylum/migrant NGO CEO's, RTE, the Irish Times, and other small left-wing parties, they will do their utmost to implement this new plan at all cost.

The Housing Department has publicly admitted that in order to facilitate the provisioning of own-housing within 3 months to the asylum seekers who fly into Dublin airport from other parts of Europe, it will result in Irish people being made homeless. I suppose that will make Ireland look really "progressive" and it will impress Brussels, and the newly-made Irish homeless in Ireland will just be collateral damage.

The fact that Irish politicians and the mainstream Irish media are remaining silent about all of this gives us all an indication of how spineless and self-centred these people are. This country is in dire need of a new political party to fight against these insane liberal policies, which is orchestrated by a minority in Ireland. We don't necessarily want a centre-right party, we just need a "fair" party; a party who finds the provisioning of own-housing to asylum seekers within 3 months or arrival in the country, and the provision of €750K apartments to refugees as intolerable, illogical, and most importantly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They pay 1006 euro a month in rent.

Highest end of council rent is 265 a week.

Give them the option of paying for it. Like an extra 40 a week. It doesn't look like a great gym tbh.

If someone is on the dole, they wouldn't pay €265 per week. It's earning linked. It's possible they are paying much less than €100 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

“The council did “not regard access to a gym as a welfare issue””

Bit of an understatement

There should be an investigation as to why he is there, SDCC can explain to us why he jumped the list

Also, the Irish residents there mentioned in the article don’t exactly come off well

Are some here genuinely arguing access to a gym is a welfare issue, or some kind of entitlement?

F**k off. Go for a run/walk or buy a bike.
    I'm not breaking my hoop paying for grifters to exercise in AC gyms with equipment I can't afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Kivaro wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean about a "claim was made". It is the official stated policy of the Green Party, and Roderic O' Gorman (The Children's minister) has stated that this new plan will be implemented, no matter our protestations. Together, with the well paid publicly funded asylum/migrant NGO CEO's, RTE, the Irish Times, and other small left-wing parties, they will do their utmost to implement this new plan at all cost.

The Housing Department has publicly admitted that in order to facilitate the provisioning of own-housing within 3 months to the asylum seekers who fly into Dublin airport from other parts of Europe, it will result in Irish people being made homeless. I suppose that will make Ireland look really "progressive" and it will impress Brussels, and the newly-made Irish homeless in Ireland will just be collateral damage.

The fact that Irish politicians and the mainstream Irish media are remaining silent about all of this gives us all an indication of how spineless and self-centred these people are. This country is in dire need of a new political party to fight against these insane liberal policies, which is orchestrated by a minority in Ireland. We don't necessarily want a centre-right party, we just need a "fair" party; a party who finds the provisioning of own-housing to asylum seekers within 3 months or arrival in the country, and the provision of €750K apartments to refugees as intolerable, illogical, and most importantly unfair.

Soon you won't be able to even say anything like that, it'll be classified as hate speech apparently :rolleyes:

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

speak for yourself , i want a centre right party

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Marcos wrote: »
    Soon you won't be able to even say anything like that, it'll be classified as hate speech apparently :rolleyes:
    Actually being charged with "hate speech" could be the lesser or two evils. In that case you'd have your day in open court and could defend your position with facts. If the law has a problem with facts that wouldn't go over well. What's far more likely and is currently in play is there are almost no mainstream platforms were such a position can be talked about without censure and screeching.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    speak for yourself , i want a centre right party

Agreed. For now though I'll settle for any dissenting force, as something needs to change quickly. I dread the thought of where this country is heading if we continue on this path of madness.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I live in an estate ran by a management company.

Renters including HAP and council renters are not allowed to vote in the AGM for issues within the management company. That directly involve them sometimes.

Incidentally 75% of the problems within the estate revolve around renters simply not giving a F about house rules . (Other 25% is their landlords not paying fees)

Not the same issue directly, but it is still same subject.

I think if (some) people don't have to pay for something, they will not respect it. Definite pattern of that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If someone is on the dole, they wouldn't pay €265 per week. It's earning linked. It's possible they are paying much less than €100 per week.

15% of income to a max of €265 p.w. or €1150 per month for a single person with no kids.

To qualify to pay €1150 you would be earning €91,800 per annum. And you'd still be entitled to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

KevRossi wrote: »
    15% of income to a max of €265 p.w. or €1150 per month for a single person with no kids.

To qualify to pay €1150 you would be earning €91,800 per annum. And you'd still be entitled to live there.

So if I was single and on the dole, getting €203 per week, I could get that apartment for €30.45 per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

I wonder would any journalist investigate this fellas case n how the hell he managed to get an apartment worth a minimum of 700k paid for by the taxpayer?

Whoever decided to ok his asylum request should be hauled over the coals n get the bullet, no early retirement or any of that crap. 2 minutes searching twitter would have saved us a lifetime of this chancer.

After brexit in December we'll be the only show in town for these spoofers. Stellar times await the asylum industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

BattleCorp wrote: »
    So if I was single and on the dole, getting €203 per week, I could get that apartment for €30.45 per week?

You could, but I'd hold out for something better. I heard theres no gym included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Putting immigrants or other people on low/no incomes into 25 year leased luxury apartments in well to do areas is a right wing idea.
    People won't support 'foreva homes' or whatever the term for state built social housing is, and this is your option, your choice.
    Believing it's 'liberals' is just a con.
    There's more profit in going the private route for FG and their cronies.

Bowie wrote: »
    Putting immigrants or other people on low/no incomes into 25 year leased luxury apartments in well to do areas is a right wing idea.
    People won't support 'foreva homes' or whatever the term for state built social housing is, and this is your option, your choice.
    Believing it's 'liberals' is just a con.
    There's more profit in going the private route for FG and their cronies.
    These are a 10% allocation, not leased apartments and according to the Times they cost 250k on average per unit. non social housing in the same development may have cost 500 to 700k but these didn't. It is still obscene that this guy has displaced someone else in the queue but people are descending on the thread to push forward their own political agendas and care little about facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Augeo wrote: »
    I've said it several times, we don't have a housing crisis, we have a waster crisis. A huge amount of those on the housing list are there by choice and a huge proportion of RA and social housing has been given to similar minded folk.

Anyone who knows me here knows I have been banging this drum for over 6 years here all in the face of been called every name under the sun.

I have said on numerous occasions we don't have a homeless crisis.

We have people who never bothered making an effort in life rocking up to a hotel then crying to the media that their homeless then bang, they get a free gaff.

There is literally no point in discussing this here or anywhere.

People are brainwashed by the constant homeless pull the strings ads on radio and tv.

The facts are never told.

Until then we just keep paying to put wasters in 700k houses.

Lads that were bullies in my school and dropped out after the junior cert are living carefree in houses some of my friends who work could only dream of.

Yeah I know ill be told FFG facilitate this.

But do the opposition parties ever stand up and say enough?

No they push every day for more and more free houses for the wasters and spongers of society.

Advertisement