Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone who knows me here knows I have been banging this drum for over 6 years here all in the face of been called every name under the sun.

I have said on numerous occasions we don't have a homeless crisis.

We have people who never bothered making an effort in life rocking up to a hotel then crying to the media that their homeless then bang, they get a free gaff.

There is literally no point in discussing this here or anywhere.

People are brainwashed by the constant homeless pull the strings ads on radio and tv.

The facts are never told.

Until then we just keep paying to put wasters in 700k houses.

Lads that were bullies in my school and dropped out after the junior cert are living carefree in houses some of my friends who work could only dream of.

Yeah I know ill be told FFG facilitate this.

But do the opposition parties ever stand up and say enough?

No they push every day for more and more free houses for the wasters and spongers of society.

That post should be pinned somewhere on the frontpage.
    It is the opposition parties fault...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

These are a 10% allocation, not leased apartments and according to the Times they cost 250k on average per unit. non social housing in the same development may have cost 500 to 700k but these didn't. It is still obscene that this guy has displaced someone else in the queue but people are descending on the thread to push forward their own political agendas and care little about facts.

It was suggested this was a liberal issue. As regards immigrants, sure, as regards using private accommodation, certainly not.
    It's FG policy to rent, buy and lease off the private market.

Bowie wrote: »
    It was suggested this was a liberal issue. As regards immigrants, sure, as regards using private accommodation, certainly not.
    It's FG policy to rent, buy and lease off the private market.
    Do you expect government to build houses in the same manner as some left wing politicians would have had them making computers in a nationalised Limerick Dell plant.
    Sinn Fein and PBP were absolutely howling about the homeless crisis and the response was to acquire housing at any price. I personally would have halted social housing acquisition until cheaper accommodation could be found but the left wing parties were fomenting a PR disaster for the parties in power. They didn't give a damn that it is adding tens of billions to the national debt that the working poor will be paying back for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Suckit wrote: »
    That post should be pinned somewhere on the frontpage.
    It is the opposition parties fault...

It's all the numerous political parties fault.

Noone should ever get anything for free unless in extreme circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

These are a 10% allocation, not leased apartments and according to the Times they cost 250k on average per unit. non social housing in the same development may have cost 500 to 700k but these didn't. It is still obscene that this guy has displaced someone else in the queue but people are descending on the thread to push forward their own political agendas and care little about facts.

A lot of the hidden costs involved in the developer selling those to the Council at "cost" are indirectly borne by the other owners and society overall.

• Advertisement

A lot of the hidden costs involved in the developer selling those to the Council at "cost" are indirectly borne by the other owners and society overall.
    obviously the private purchasers are carrying the cost of that 10% of total units.

obviously the private purchasers are carrying the cost of that 10% of total units.

Don't forget simple supply and demand. 10% of the units are removed from the market and not available to normal working people. That will push up prices a little across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just a number of points regarding this discussion :

1) FG are undoubtedly anti-worker, but for the most ridiculous reason, like refusing to build so they can give d&@kheads like this luxury apartments, while they attack SF then claim they help those of us who ‘get up early in the morning’

- they fail at being a centre right party

The British Tories are more pro worker as they pay for healthcare and have much lower dole, and more no nonsense housing authorities

2) This has nothing to do with the EU.
    They don’t tolerate this bs elsewhere, in Germany rent control is for city professionals, not spongers

3) Kitty Holland and others are professional trolls, they are elitist versions of Katy Hopkins, the IT has always been elitist, since it’s unionist days ;
    They are deliberately biased, they are not journalists, they have ever been journalists

4) Just so you know, the print media in Ireland are only surviving as they receive handouts from the taxpayer to keep it afloat, and therefore be pro-government, hence the attacks on internet freedom of speech and social media

5) Worse thing is there will be people who will keep the government in power which allows these scams against the Irish taxpayer and provides real harm to our economy, claiming left wing parties are the fault of this - this is FFG developer policy

6) This ‘Fold’ crowd are hardly a charity.
    The Irish taxpayer pays about 15 billion a year in funding NGOs.
    30,000 “charities” in a pop. of under 5 million
    The same as our health budget
    And all of the talking heads are usually on the payroll, quite happy to be pissing away our money, yet they pretend they are some underdog

The joke is on us
    I don't disagree with what you are saying....but where is the 30k figure from?
    Pretty sure it's about 10k...still ridiculous...but not 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Anyone who knows me here knows I have been banging this drum for over 6 years here all in the face of been called every name under the sun.

We have people who never bothered making an effort in life rocking up to a hotel then crying to the media that their homeless then bang, they get a free gaff.

People are brainwashed by the constant homeless pull the strings ads on radio and tv.

Lads that were bullies in my school and dropped out after the junior cert are living carefree in houses some of my friends who work could only dream of.

No they push every day for more and more free houses for the wasters and spongers of society.

Fully agree! The housing situation is going to be fascinating to see how it plays out, it will likely decide the next government, but they are all so useless, that while it may change who is in government, will it change the situation? Probably not. The bottom line is that all decision makers, want rip off prices...

Don't forget simple supply and demand. 10% of the units are removed from the market and not available to normal working people. That will push up prices a little across the board.
    Not forgetting it but with an open borders policy there is basically infinite demand for limited supply.

• Advertisement

The likes of the lunacy in this banana republic, is what eventually gets the likes of trump or johnson elected! Robbing from the home and salary poor, to distribute amongst the wasters at the bottom and wasters at the top...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't disagree with what you are saying....but where is the 30k figure from?
    Pretty sure it's about 10k...still ridiculous...but not 30k

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-10-000-charities-registered-in-ireland-last-year-1.4304136

10,514 registered charities last year.

Do you expect government to build houses in the same manner as some left wing politicians would have had them making computers in a nationalised Limerick Dell plant.
    Sinn Fein and PBP were absolutely howling about the homeless crisis and the response was to acquire housing at any price. I personally would have halted social housing acquisition until cheaper accommodation could be found but the left wing parties were fomenting a PR disaster for the parties in power. They didn't give a damn that it is adding tens of billions to the national debt that the working poor will be paying back for generations.

No not in the Dell plant. Would limit how many could be built. Unless it's a very big plant. Is it a very big plant?
    I think you're making all that up. Have you links to SF/PBP wasting tens of billions?
    Simply put the options are buying, leasing and renting off the private market at great expense to the tax payer or building state owned social housing kike we did for decades. Its cheaper too....
    Or we could continue as is and give out about the wrong people who have little to do with it.

How does build to rent as social effect the market availability? How does the state buying ir leasing private builds effect the market?

How does build to rent as social effect the market availability? How does the state buying ir leasing private builds effect the market?

There would be more supply if the government built their own housing...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The likes of the lunacy in this banana republic, is what eventually gets the likes of trump or johnson elected! Robbing from the home and salary poor, to distribute amongst the wasters at the bottom and wasters at the top...
    You're a prime example of the type of hand wringing raver polluting social media with incessant focused diatribes which has made it a political imperative for the governing parties to house these people at any cost so that the Statistics look somewhat better. You criticise them for not housing the people on housing lists, you criticise them for housing those on housing lists. There is no winning with you.

There would be more supply if the government built their own housing...
    They can't afford it. Incessant criticism has forced them in to expensive knee-jerk responses to the housing crisis.

You are closing in on 17000 posts of anti-government(actually it is anti which ever party you are fronting for) rhetoric since you registered

If there are 100 apartments in a nice area and 100 hardworking potential buyers then each can buy an apartment.

If 10 of those are kept aside from the market then you now have 100 buyers wanting to buy 90 units. They can then try to outbid each other and the 10 losers can go and live in and commute from the shitholes where the freeloaders would otherwise have to reside.

I'm kind of surprised that you had to ask that question tbh. Try talking to someone who is working hard and saving for deposits and finding themselves being outbid by staff in their local Council who are just spending other peoples money as numbers on a screen in order to buy their quota of social units if you want to know how such dynamics are affecting the market.

You're a prime example of the type of hand wringing raver polluting social media with incessant focused diatribes which has made it a political imperative for the governing parties to house these people at any cost so that the Statistics look somewhat better. You criticise them for not housing the people on housing lists, you criticise them for housing those on housing lists. There is no winning with you.

What ate you talking about? Its rte banging on about the homeless relentlessly, moron politicians then think that is the biggest issue. I couldnt care less for the sob stories any more, house working people at a reasonable cost! They can do this by stopping rip off housing solutions and free rent ...

The government have created this situation... opened a pandoras box! The situation is going to get worse too. Id start by housing a multiple pf the people currently being housed... by magic? No! By not putting them in luxury accomodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Imagine if a party came into power stating that those who work in low tier paying jobs would be prioritised for housing given their effort to contribute to the economy. Even if it was 50% of all social housing available.

Would there be war? We all know which parties would shout the loudest but I would gladly support there being a fairer allocation.

It might incentivise a large proportion of people to get a job. That said there'd need to be guidelines to prevent people from ditching the job as soon as they get the keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

KevRossi wrote: »
    15% of income to a max of €265 p.w. or €1150 per month for a single person with no kids.

To qualify to pay €1150 you would be earning €91,800 per annum. And you'd still be entitled to live there.

You can almost double that to 180,00 per annum, because it's the net income that they calculate the 15% on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They can't afford it. Incessant criticism has forced them in to expensive knee-jerk responses to the housing crisis.
    I would say it's less about criticism and more about handing over the majority of the responsibility for social housing to the private sector. Those who crow on about how "the market" will fix it are just as deluded as those who crow on about NGO's holding hands fixing things. How many hundreds of millions of our tax payers monies are going to private investors, developers and large landlords? It's a lot and a minority are getting the cream. Last time I looked it was in the billions over the last few years. Then there's public land being auctioned off to the market too. Never mind the small bunch of people making millions over DP and the "refugee" crisis. I'd not be shocked if vested interests were dropping brown envelopes around the place. It's not as if that's an anomaly in Irish politics.

Whinging about those on social housing lists is all too easy and is missing the bigger picture, which is playing into the hands of that small minority making bank out of the current dysfunctional setup.

This muppet apparently landing up in this country and getting a luxury apartment in leafy suburbia in the blink of an eye over Irish families being on the list for years and bitching about his gym access is but a glimpse behind the curtain of something far more dodgy and more detrimental to the real issues around housing in this country.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What ate you talking about? Its rte banging on about the homeless relentlessly, moron politicians then think that is the biggest issue. I couldnt care less for the sob stories any more, house working people at a reasonable cost! They can do this by stopping rip off housing solutions and free rent ...

The government have created this situation... opened a pandoras box! The situation is going to get worse too. Id start by housing a multiple pf the people currently being housed... by magic? No! By not putting them in luxury accomodation!
    If only you didn't have so many thousands of posts on this forum incessantly complaining about Government. This forum is your soapbox.
    Others use it as their soapbox for their particular pet obsessions like EOTR. that Murphy bloke and Bowie to name just three.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A FF or FG minister may sign off on policy decisions but rest assured , the policy architects and influencers are left wing ideologues from various lobby groups who are also of a leftist bent

the rule saying that a percentage of developments must be allocated to social housing is a left wing policy , nobody would deny this bar those even further left who believe everyone should have a constitutional right to a home

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A FF or FG minister may sign off on policy decisions but rest assured , the policy architects and influencers are left wing ideologues from various lobby groups who are also of a leftist bent

the rule saying that a percentage of developments must be allocated to social housing is a left wing policy ,
    If the government were building social housing on public lands using public monies like we used to you might have a point, but it's not a very left wing policy when the majority of government funds allocated to social housing are paid out to a small number of private entities.
    nobody would deny this bar those even further left who believe everyone should have a constitutional right to a home
    Affordable housing for ALL and a near zero rate of people in emergency accommodation or on the street is surely a decent goal of any functioning society?

The fact is through a series of screwups by successive governments who have swung between the private and public(though of late mostly favouring the former) are some of the biggest reasons why our housing is so expensive. If you waved a magic wand in the morning and got rid of social housing percentages entirely housing would still be too expensive and renters and mortgage holders would still be as squeezed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Mr Karim was just on Newstalk moaning about racism a minute ago.

I didnt get the start of it. Whether anybody asked him exactly how he got a 1 bed in Rathgar in a matter of months, I'm not sure.

Well Newstalk will give him the platform to rant. I'd be surprised if they asked him how he got the apartment. Sure isn't he entitled to it etc. And...
    My bet is that he'll either go full radio silence, or double down and shout discrimination and racism for even asking the obvious questions.
    The "racist" angle will be used to shut down any debate. Standard operating procedure and note his twitter contains almost nothing else but accusations of racism. He's got practice, though it seems it didn't work in Canada, so he had to "flee". Any journalist or host that doesn't ask him directly how the hell he got from working in Canada to coming here and getting a luxury apartment paid for by taxpayers in a couple of years when Irish families with kids can wait for many years is no journalist and is most certainly part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The stupidity of him spouting racism boggles the mind. In the ****ing article it references an irish couple who are also not allowed use thr gym they dont pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

He can go fúck himself with his racist bullshít.

Serious questions need answering how he worked in Canada not that long ago and got this apartment.

It's not racist, it's not jealousy or begrudgery, It's horseshít

People working their bollocks off for years to get a deposit together, having to buy houses 100's of kms away from work and waste 4-5 hours a day commuting, even if you're homeless or even a genuine person in need of help and on a housing list people are waiting up to 10 years plus and then this guy moaning he can't use a gym, and it's not just him, there's plenty of Irish people in there moaning who need a reality check.

What a slap in the face to everyone.

Just come here call everyone racist and get what you want, pure wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

anewme wrote: »
    If the rules of the complex say no pets, then they are the rules.

If the rules of the complex say no pets for social tenants but pets for everyone else, that's discrimination.

The trampoline and pool rules are within the gym membership rules, and apply to all, surely.

If you are that petty that you would want a family to give up their dog, to prove they are of a lower social status, then you are to pitied.

Surely is up to the owners of the apartments regarding pets or not?
    If I was renting my apartment I wouldn't allow the tenant to have pets, that the building allows them is immaterial

Advertisement