Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just had a listen

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

Says he's here 16 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The stupidity of him spouting racism boggles the mind. In the ****ing article it references an irish couple who are also not allowed use thr gym they dont pay for.
    Not stupid at all SC. He well knows, as do the muppets who support and promote this sorta nonsense that pulling the racist card is also a get out of gaol free card.

It immediately shuts down most opposition, precisely and ironically because the vast majority of people aren't racists and consider it shameful to be accused of it. Same with that divisive chancer in UCD pulling the racist card(her entire career rests on it). Imagine if he were living at the peak of apartheid South Africa. That's racist!! Yeah, so what? We are racists and proud of it. Head off.

He would likely avoid going too hard in countries which have been multicultural for longer as the locals are more used to this angle and it has started to lose its sting. Maybe that's why Canada wasn't such a good fit. But Ireland is very much in the early days of this nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just had a listen

Says he's here 16 years.
    Does he mention his racist sojourn in Canada 0ph? I'd like to listen to it, but would be in fear of the results for my laptop and window.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

0ph0rce0 wrote:
    Just had a listen

I'm not going to listen for the sake of my health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Wibbs wrote: »
    Does he mention his racist sojourn in Canada 0ph? I'd like to listen to it, but would be in fear of the results for my laptop and window.

Nothing about Canada at all. Just all of them giving out that they can't use all the services, concierge, cinema room, rooftop terrace, gym , sauna etc...

All say they are willing to pay the fees but not allowed.

Plenty of cash for fees I see, Up the rent then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

If he is here 16 years, how has he not managed to get his **** together and provide for himself?

Its pretty frustrating to see people say things like "ive been waiting on a house for x number of years" Why is there no expectation for people to look after themselves.

........ Claims he works almost 12 hour days 7 days a week or some such horsesh1t.

& he was happier in his previous studio with respect and dignity..... Some entitled pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No research by any media, no challenge at all.

We are muzzled and have no voice. Sick of it. Kitty Holland is behind all this BS and the Traveller issue also. I reckon all the media hand wringers are living far far away from their column inch subjects.

If they want to use the facilties, buy the place and pay your management fee yourself.

If renting from a HA, say thanks and abide by their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Its interesting to see the distortion of the facts across the media on this story. Probably no harm to refresh the facts, as out in the Irish Times articles. (I know, I know, facts are bad!)

Fold is essentially the owner and landlord here. As owner it pays the management company, Petra Property, under an agreed arrangement. Fold clearly negotiated a management fee rate in return for no access to the 'extras'. Fold spokesperson quote 'Feedback from our tenants in Marianella is that they are very happy . . . Our service agreement does not provide for membership of the gym/resident’s club. We are a charitable organisation of limited resources and they are focused on the provision of housing to our tenants.'

Fold Property is letting to the actual tenants and has set the rule of no animals. The subletting is covered by a tenancy agreement. Council Quote: “All tenants sign up to a tenancy agreement with the AHB as the named landlord. The AHB must register all tenancies with the Residential Tenancies Board. AHBs provide a thorough explanation of the tenancy agreement and the rights and obligations of the landlord and the tenant.” The council did “not regard access to a gym as a welfare issue”.

On the pets point. Fold spokesperson quote: "all tenants were made aware of its “no pet policy” prior to moving in. Fold “does not pay for the concierge service and tenants were made aware of this,” she said.

I assume that access to the gym, and other extras, is tied into the management agreements. Petra Property is a large property management company. I cannot see why they would operate a membership scheme here as all owners agreed to opt in or out. It is also likely that, under the management agreement terms, the use of the 'extras' is limited to those that opted in so Petra would have no ability to offer membership without changing the management agreement with all owners.

Fold have obviously tried to avoid criticism by not paying for extras for social housing tenants, but have ended up exposing themselves to criticism by agreeing to a two-tier system. Neither Petra, nor the owners paying for extras have have done anything wrong and, if I was in their shoes, I would be referring all question back to Fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i heard that Karim fella on Newstalk, he said twice he was far happier in his previous private rented accommodation, if he was that happy why doesn't he move back there??

They will get what they want (Gym/Concierge/cinema room) purely because local authorities have no back bone and it boils my piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Are we sure it was him on Newstalk? I heard the segment as well but was all busy with some other stuff and assumed it wasn't him as he said he was living here 16 years.... I might have missed the bit where he was introduced.

jrosen wrote: »
    If he is here 16 years, how has he not managed to get his **** together and provide for himself?

Its pretty frustrating to see people say things like "ive been waiting on a house for x number of years" Why is there no expectation for people to look after themselves.
    It's one thing for Irish people born and bred here, that's another subject, but someone who comes here and gets subsidised housing is quite another. We have enough people on social welfare and for all sorts of reasons, so why in Christ's name are we hell bent on importing more?

I know a few lads, all foreign, all non EU, a couple who got in here who I suspect wouldn't today, however, every single one of them works and rents or has a mortgage and provides for themselves. Only one of them has any third level qualification going on, yet they can do it and this guy can't? None of them have luxury apartments like him that's for sure.
    Augeo wrote: »
    & he was happier in his previous studio with respect and dignity..... Some entitled pr1ck.
    The entitlement is about the biggest sore point for me. That hard neck expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Let's just shut down the racism nonsense, nobody really cares what colour or race anyone is. I would have the exact same issue with him if he was 10th generation Irish.

He appears to have a very strong sense of entitlement and instead of debating the issue correctly, waves the racism card.

We don't have a homelessness crisis in this country, we have a homeless issue like many countries but we have an entitlement crisis. If I found myself homeless tomorrow and someone was decent enough to house me, I would be so grateful there's no way I would start demanding extra benefits too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

........ Claims he works almost 12 hour days 7 days a week or some such horsesh1t.

I hope the housing agency are listening. I'm sure they can arrange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just had a listen

Says he's here 16 years.
    So the Canada stuff is wrong?
    Did he explain how the reason for him not being entitled to use a gym for which he doea not pay is based on racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They can't afford it. Incessant criticism has forced them in to expensive knee-jerk responses to the housing crisis.

You are closing in on 17000 posts of anti-government(actually it is anti which ever party you are fronting for) rhetoric since you registered

They were not forced. They've been at it since 2011. They are in the business of helping some businesses make money even if its not the best value for the tax payer. I don't know why, but that's how they've been 'tackling' it.
    25 year leases, buying and renting off the market. Emergency accommodation use to be for emergencies, now par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Not stupid at all SC. He well knows, as do the muppets who support and promote this sorta nonsense that pulling the racist card is also a get out of gaol free card.

It immediately shuts down most opposition, precisely and ironically because the vast majority of people aren't racists and consider it shameful to be accused of it. Same with that divisive chancer in UCD pulling the racist card(her entire career rests on it). Imagine if he were living at the peak of apartheid South Africa. That's racist!! Yeah, so what? We are racists and proud of it. Head off.

He would likely avoid going too hard in countries which have been multicultural for longer as the locals are more used to this angle and it has started to lose its sting. Maybe that's why Canada wasn't such a good fit. But Ireland is very much in the early days of this nonsense.

The term "racism" has been well and truly worn out. The trick is not to bat an eyelid when you are smeared with it. I was accused of racism in work about 5 years ago on an utterly laughable and spurious basis. I laughed in her face and asked her if she wanted to make it official as i would relish the opportunity of defending myself against her baseless and slanderous attack. She shut the **** up, shuffled away and has avoided me like the plague ever since. I told everyone i could about the accusation and the circumstances backed up by witnesses. She's as meek as a ****ing lamb now i can tell you. Words only have the power you give them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So for the 5,643 people in Dublin city who had been on the housing list for more than seven years and another 3,663 that had been on the waiting list for 4-7 years, this Turkish Kurd was somehow handed an approx. €3/4 million social-housing apartment in Dublin within a year or two. Only a few years ago, he was apparently working in Calgary airport in Canada. How does this happen?

I mentioned a couple of years ago on a different thread that as soon as an applicant screams racism at a housing authority, then that person is housed almost immediately. Housing/council staff just do not want the hassle.

Imagine if one of us or one of our family members needed a hospital procedure quite urgently. Who do you think would be immediately put to the front of the queue? Tenia Karim (the Calgary airport worker above) or one of us? It would most definitely be the one who screams loudest ..... with the word "racism" in his cries.
    I would like to get off this bizarro planet at the next stop please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I'm not going to listen for the sake of my health.

Il summarise for you:

Man who has been handed super swanky apartment: I cant use the gym. You Irish are all racist

Newstalk: ok sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

How has he time to use the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I actually now understand why people don't work, have no interest in work and in many cases under our extremely generous welfare system they can be in very well off circumstances.
    I appreciate low paying jobs people will need a dig out and help towards living costs but to be put up in a apartment worth €700k to €950k is pure nuttery

I heard the start of the NewsTalk piece this evening. The foreigner screaming racism was introduced as being anonymous, as to protect his identity, if i recall correctly.

So that kinda gives him free reign to invent a back story, if he wanted to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

newstalk is such a load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

At min wage that's over 44,000 /year. I thought the cut of point for a single applicant was about 35,000?

We need just one media type to ask the simple questions:

Are you the same guy that was working in Canada?

If so, how did you get subsidised housing so quickly and ahead of local Irish people?

Where do you get so entitled when the Irish state has provided you with subsidised housing and luxury subsidised housing at that? (actually that answers itself in many ways)

If you're working 12 hour days, 7 days a week, have spare cash to buy gym membership, why did you get subsidised housing in the first place?

Are you in receipt of other social welfare benefits?

Those questions would expose how deep this goes, but waiting for someone in Irish media to ask them?

flying-pig-1.jpg

mike kelly wrote: »
    newstalk is such a load of ****
    I do not listen to that station for a reason, and it boggles the mind why it is not boycotted by people who do not agree with their biased reporting and presentation of the news. Boycott the station and boycott their sponsors. That is the only way the regular person in this country will see a change in Newstalk's depiction/reporting of actual life in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Kivaro wrote: »
    I do not listen to that station for a reason, and it boggles the mind why it is not boycotted by people who do not agree with their biased reporting and presentation of the news. Boycott the station and boycott their sponsors. That is the only way the regular person in this country will see a change in Newstalk's depiction/reporting of actual life in Ireland.

Problem is RTE are as bad.

Problem is RTE are as bad.
    RTE are much worse, but the big difference is that Newstalk is not supported by the public purse. Boycotting the station and their sponsors will result in substantial revenue loss. It is astounding the amount of "progressive" partial crap that they are pushing through the airwaves.

Conversely, when the "progressive" gloss has finally worn thin on the people of Ireland i.e. we can't take any more of this crap, an impartial and balanced station/newspaper will garner a lot of support; both financially and in listener/reader numbers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

We need just one media type to ask the simple questions:

Are you the same guy that was working in Canada?

If so, how did you get subsidised housing so quickly and ahead of local Irish people?

Where do you get so entitled when the Irish state has provided you with subsidised housing and luxury subsidised housing at that? (actually that answers itself in many ways)

If you're working 12 hour days, 7 days a week, have spare cash to buy gym membership, why did you get subsidised housing in the first place?

Are you in receipt of other social welfare benefits?

Those questions would expose how deep this goes, but waiting for someone in Irish media to ask them?

Exactly. And to think that the Times used to be considered a respected publication.

Did the 'journalist' who wrote the original piece of rubbish, question even one thing about it, before rushing to print? :confused: And we, presumably, as Irish people are meant to feel shame because this guy only got an apartment that many hardworking people could but dream of having.

And he feels that
    "This hurts my dignity. They do not like when I say ‘discrimination’ but what other word do they want to use?”

Words fail me, they really do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have new African neighbours who got a house worth 300,000 that was previously purchased by the council. The mother of the family says she owns a business and only 2 months ago she purchased s brand new vehicle worth just under 40,000 while the rest of us have to pay a mortgage and scrape by. She probably played the racist card to get up the housing list.

Advertisement