Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Rathgar is not that nice tbh.

Not really what I meant at all.

It's a great place to live rather than spending hours every week commuting into the city to work from places where they seem to be building the most housing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They knew the ts and cs before they moved in...tough.
    If they don't like it they should go and rent somewhere privately....good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rathgar is not that nice tbh.

Ah it is though tbf.

gmisk wrote: »
    They knew the ts and cs before they moved in...tough.
    If they don't like it they should go and rent somewhere privately....good luck with that!

I'd agree with this tbh .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

listermint wrote: »
    Ah it is though tbf.
    Don't mind me ..i am a fussy spoiled bitch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

It'll be all grand when Fold (my mistake) or whomever finish up their contracts and can move these service users to more sustainable and indiscriminate accomodation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

listermint wrote: »
    I'd agree with this tbh .
    Ditto. For me it's far less about the social housing aspect and much more about this overarching sense of entitlement from some. We saw similar with the Traveller woman with elventy kids demanding more. If my life had not been lived as well as I imagined or my circumstances had changed for the worse and I was given the opportunity of a roof over my head paid for out of the taxes of those who have done better I would be extremely grateful for that. I would not be screaming for more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Anyway ..i have just checked highest weekly rent is 265 per week for a council residence. SO per month ..they would be more than likely be paying something like that.

It would be 1006k rent a month.

Not everyone in a council house pays 65 euros a week. There is a scale.

They are no way paying that..... The highest rent for a council residence is based on a family with most earning a big wage.

cursai wrote: »
    It'll be all grand when the council or whomever finish up their contracts and can move these service users to more sustainable and indiscriminate accomodation.
    Do the council not own them?

Or am i misunderstanding you?

Don't mind me ..i am a fussy spoiled bitch!

I don't know who called you that, but it's an unfair label.

It's ok to hold multiple balanced viewpoints on a subject like this in saying that I believe firmly that social housing is required in city locations. It's an enablement to social mobility and it's something thats very successful elsewhere in Europe. I also believe that folks that are in receipt of it can't necessarily expect the same level of service that is provided to private owners or renters who are paying more for better level of service.

I also don't believe people in recipt of social housing are scroungers and we need people from all wage levels to be engaged and living in he economy as it helps up and down the wage scales

Shocking views to hold I know

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

More than likely yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Or whomever hence......the charity I guess. Fold?

On a side not we often forget that a lot of council tenants are disabled etc. So employment depending on condition would be difficult.

Augeo wrote: »
    They are no way paying that..... The highest rent for a council residence is based on a family with most earning a big wage.
    Its the figure i have been given by several news articles one of which I linked above. Neither article was flattering to council tennants so i don't think they are biased.

People are not informed about council rent. I have to admit i would surprised by the amount too.

I mean people are full on giving their opinions about this situation without even knowing how much THESE people are paying.

I will give it to you again. Sorry to the mods and others for the repetitive content of the post.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-5-4956180-Jan2020/

The average weekly rent is €69.41 with the highest weekly rent charge registered as €265.87. The weekly rent is determined in accordance with the council's 2019 Differential Rent Scheme which is linked to household income and is calculated at 15% of the household's biggest earner.

cursai wrote: »
    Or whomever hence......the charity I guess. Fold?

On a side not we often forget that a lot of council tenants are disabled etc. So employment depending on condition would be difficult.

I imagine these are on the higher end of the council rent scale. So i imagine its actually going to people with okish jobs.

Council rent is calculated on your income etc. And they don't give you a place they don't think you can afford. They are up their EARS in arrears already because they made mistakes before.

SO do they move people ON after a period of time?

Gervais08 wrote: »
    More than likely yeah.
    So basically those people will have to move on in a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Actually apparently the chap in the article claimed he was living and working on Canada and making claims of being discriminated by his employer.
    Unless it's a different person

Its the figure i have been given by several news articles one of which I linked above. Neither article was flattering to council tennants so i don't think they are biased.

People are not informed about council rent. I have to admit i would surprised by the amount too.

I mean people are full on giving their opinions about this situation without even knowing how much THESE people are paying.

I will give it to you again. Sorry to the mods and others for the repetitive content of the post.

If the AVERAGE is a pathetic 70 quid and the highest is still way less than a lot of people pay to live (I’m a 2 hour each way commute from work and pay 800 a month) - then you can easily see there are many wasters who pay nothing.

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually apparently the chap in the article claimed he was living and working on Canada and making claims of being discriminated by his employer.
    LINK?

I can't find it when i google.

LINK?

I can't find it when i google.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeniaKarim

If the AVERAGE is a pathetic 70 quid and the highest is still way less than a lot of people pay to live (I’m a 2 hour each way commute from work and pay 800 a month) - then you can easily see there are many wasters who pay nothing.
    Yes this IS the average.

I doubt these partic flats are on the average though.

Sorry about your sad situation.:o

• Advertisement

Social tenants in Rathgar complex excluded from certain facilities

Gym, meeting rooms and roof terrace restricted to non-council residents

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/social-tenants-in-rathgar-complex-excluded-from-certain-facilities-1.4415042

GtowXSVa1QpIjWmL5dSLasup-K5K6qZRA-prDL-hdD4wvl7FnW9KsPDgPIpJ03WQrYpFFUvAyT0HLJJZxQ5lfR-VOVqeT0fzXbcwYSnM_CofSWdMU0FNrUM6j3acn7ZLbG2XJxHWpdHBvPk4QD2QNW9xtZ95c6CSDFE

Oh I dunno. I reckon they got a better deal than most as it is for virtually nothing.

What say you?

Hurts his dignity???

Clearly not enough to get a ****ing job and stop taking freebies. Spoofer.

A minority of council tenants pay that. You seem to think all the folk in rathgar do. That would suggest all the folk in rathgar in council accommodation were picked on their high earnings.... That is not how council properties are allocated.

Yes this IS the average.

I doubt these partic flats are on the average though.

Sorry about your sad situation.:o

I don’t have a ****ing sad situation!!!

How idiotic a response !!!

This is a link to a twitter account? To either someone with the same name
    it certainly doesn't look like the same guy.
    I can find nothing relating to what you have said.

image.jpg

kIZUomIC.jpg

They don't look alike.

Yikes...that does look like him....
    Maybe he shouldn't be making claims of discrimination over nonsense like this if he is trying to fly under the radar...

It's looks like it's him

Well if he was living and working abroad he wasn't entitled to social housing here

image.jpg

kIZUomIC.jpg

They don't look alike.
    It totally looks like the same guy.
    Look at his face...it's same guy with extra weight and a bit older.

I don’t have a ****ing sad situation!!!

How idiotic a response !!!

I think you are being overly sensitive.

gmisk wrote: »
    It totally looks like the same guy.
    Look at his face...it's same guy with extra weight and a bit older.
    If you say so.:)

• Advertisement

I think you are being overly sensitive.

I think you’re a WUM.

Advertisement