Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pjohnson wrote: »
    What new alt-buzzword is "sealioning"
    It's not an alt buzz word...it's a pretty common term.
    It's a form of trolling

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Abel Ruiz, don't post in this thread again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

I applaud FG,FF's and the Green's drive to integrate social tenants into the wider community. It has been proven throughout the years vast social housing developments aren't working and became hotbeds of crime and anti social behaviour that serve nobody.

Well done this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What new alt-buzzword is "sealioning"

Seasoned posters regularly do it to me on the issue of non eu migrants being net detractors from the economy and social tenants being mostly unemployed welfare recipients. Theyve seen me post the government stats over and over again but keep posting in bad faith claiming im making it up

I don't claim to know things that i actually don't know.

I don't claim to know eviction processes for council houses. Nor why the council can't screen risky tennants well.

So that is why i said i don't understand.
    Well maybe look at some of the articles posted?
    They are factual.

It's basically impossible at least in Dublin to be evicted for non payment of rent in social housing. There is also no mechanism to deduct this rent at source to ensure it is paid.

I have friends who work in these and related departments, the system is an absolute disaster it is being badly exploited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I applaud FG,FF's and the Green's drive to integrate social tenants into the wider community. It has been proven throughout the years vast social housing developments aren't working and became hotbeds of crime and anti social behaviour that serve nobody.

Well done this government.
    I don't.

they are not making a good job of it.

Firstly integration is more than just setting people down.

Its making a community. Not a place of bitter feeling.

Perhaps TALKING to private residents MORE about social housing rather than just putting it upon them

Or bringing them along rather than just informing them. I mean maybe they can't be given final say. But if there is bad feeling that is not integration.

gmisk wrote: »
    Well maybe look at some of the articles posted?
    They are factual.

It's basically impossible at least in Dublin to be evicted for non payment of rent in social housing. There is also no mechanism to deduct this rent at source to ensure it is paid.

I have friends who work in these and related departments, the system is an absolute disaster it is being badly exploited
    I am sure what you have said is true. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's not an alt buzz word...it's a pretty common term.
    It's a form of trolling

Seems like its asking for reference/source.

I can see why that offends Eric tbf.

I am sure what you have said is true. :)
    So you have finally read some of the articles posted then....Good I am glad we agree...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/first-dublin-city-council-social-housing-tenant-to-be-evicted-for-rent-arrears-1.4085923

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-5-4956180-Jan2020/

You don't have to take my word on the other claims I have made but the above are facts simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Huge arrears in the private sector also. 100 million isn't that bad actually i thought it would be a lot higher.

60 percent in arrears in Dublin that’s ridiculous

• Advertisement

Seems like its asking for reference/source.

I can see why that offends Eric tbf.

Because the poster is not a newbie here, theyve seen me post those stats countless times before and every single time theres a thread on this it goes the same way

A poster : most of them work, on my road they all work
    Me : 63% of them are on the dole only
    A seasoned poster or 3 : wheres your proof / dont believe him because he holds this other unrelated opinion

Rinse repeat every week

Cyrus wrote: »
    60 percent in arrears in Dublin that’s ridiculous
    Its high in the private sector too.

Recovery my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Btw

These are not luxury apartments ..they are normal longterm homes.

Houses built in tallaght maybe 40 yrs ago ...would have been looked at as the same.

And people would have said the same things.

This is the new middle class.

Btw they are luxury apartments. They are in a very nice suburb which is close to the city centre and cost considerably more than an equivalent apartment in kimmage, perrystown, Crumlin or any other suburb which is relatively close to Rathgar.

I would wonder what arrears in private housing are. Partic the lower end of the scale

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Recovery my arse.

What is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

“just the latest example” says Independent councillor Mannix Flynn of “social exclusion operating under the guise of social inclusion”.

Ah 'oul Mannix getting his spoke in again - yet he's happy to label ppl as groovy hipsters in a derogatory way when it suits the agenda.

Recovery my arse.
    Over 60 percent? You have data to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Think of his dignity... Somebody think of his dignity.

Can you imagine reading an article in the Kurdistan Times a Irish man fleeing the Drogheda fued got a free luxury apartment in Kurdistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I am not privy to the council's decisions.

I do think that people living in council housing have the right to a nice standard of living.

We all do.

Yes its really the average. Sadly. Partic in complexes.
    If it's the average then there must by plenty for far cheaper than 500k, by definition.

Why do you have the right to something that someone else has to pay for you to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No good deed goes unpunished.

Imagine being such an ungrateful brat that upon being gifted the use of a luxury apartment by a charity, you think it's appropriate to go whinging to the media that you can't use the meeting rooms for free despite having agreed to this in day one.

These people dont know they're born. Every aspect of their lives taken care of by someone else like toddlers. Dickheads should be ****ed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

15 percent of the highest earner wage in a household for rent is dirt cheap.

60 percent arrears is dirt cheaper.

Bloody awful that those folks paying for luxury apartments be stuck with welfare types. Totally insane system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I feel sorry for these people being made to feel stigmatised, but on the other hand they have apartments in one of the most sought after areas in the country for virtually nothing.

There's plenty of Gyms around the area they can join with the money they're saving. A bit of perspective is needed me thinks.

Glazers Out!

Cyrus wrote: »
    What is it ?

Ages 22 to 49 its 22%

under 24 its 25% percent.
    Most likely, those respondents between 15-24 years old are not homeowners. Therefore, the type of
    arrears that 25% of that age group faced is rental arrears. However, Figure 8 also reveals that 22% of
    25-49 year olds faced some type of arrears

From personal experience that is worse in the UK.

Also for single parents its MUCH higher. It would be like 30% of renters in this category end up in arrears.
    the number of arrears faced by single-parent households is relatively high at nearly 30%.

https://www.tasc.ie/assets/files/pdf/household_dept_report_final_3320.pdf

For mortgage arrears its 43% of households ..
    It may be possible to infer that the 43% of households with an older couple (2 persons 65+) most likely faced
    arrears for mortgage debt. At the same time,

Buy to let mortgages are often in arrears too ..its something like almost 30% of them.

https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/general/DKM_Rent-stability-in-the-private-rented-sector.pdf

The scale of the BTL crisis is quantified by the
    Central Bank on a quarterly basis. The most recent
    information shows that there were 39,669 BTL loan accounts in arrears at the end of June 2014 out of a total of around 144,000 BTL mortgage accounts. This figurerepresents 27.5% of the total BTL mortgage loan accounts

BTL = Buy to let.

All of the above is the private sector.

Ages 22 to 49 its 22%

under 24 its 25% percent.

From personal experience that is worse in the UK.

Also for single parents its MUCH higher. It would be like 30% of renters in this category end up in arrears.

https://www.tasc.ie/assets/files/pdf/household_dept_report_final_3320.pdf

For mortgage arrears its 43% of households ..

Buy to let mortgages are often in arrears too ..its something like almost 30% of them.

https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/general/DKM_Rent-stability-in-the-private-rented-sector.pdf

BTL = Buy to let.

All of the above is the private sector.

Message is don't become a landlord ..there is no money in it.

To have nearly a quarter of those aged between 22 and 49 in renting arrears and one third of single parents ..in the PRIVATE sector one you would expect to be stable is crazy and a huge burden on landlords who are usually on the small scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wizardman wrote: »
    Think of his dignity... Somebody think of his dignity.

Can you imagine reading an article in the Kurdistan Times a Irish man fleeing the Drogheda fued got a free luxury apartment in Kurdistan.

He presumably fled war and genocide in Kurdistan and yet finds not being able to use a gym that he dosnt pay for to be an intolerable assault on his dignity. His dignity is not too rigid to accept charity and access to a luxury apartment. Balls of ****ing brass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    15 percent of the highest earner wage in a household for rent is dirt cheap.

60 percent arrears is dirt cheaper.

Bloody awful that those folks paying for luxury apartments be stuck with welfare types. Totally insane system.
    He presumably fled war and genocide in Kurdistan and yet finds not being able to use a gym that he dosnt pay for to be an intolerable assault on his dignity. His dignity is not too rigid to accept charity and access to a luxury apartment. Balls of ****ing brass.

Nice digs in Rathgar are a good base for a poppy seed import slash export business. Balls of brass indeedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

We will see I suppose.
    I have reported him
    https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx
    It is anonymous btw, good system.

Looks like him to me. If not it's the spit. Says Dublin, Ireland. Crying Discrimination etc..

If it is him, and he was working in Canada just last year, then the people who fight telling you people don't come to this country and get free houses straight away and have to be resident and be here two years have some serious egg on their faces.

And near a million quid gaff at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No good deed goes unpunished.

Imagine being such an ungrateful brat that upon being gifted the use of a luxury apartment by a charity, you think it's appropriate to go whinging to the media that you can't use the meeting rooms for free despite having agreed to this in day one.

These people dont know they're born. Every aspect of their lives taken care of by someone else like toddlers. Dickheads should be ****ed out.

There was a similar thread a few years ago where a group of cluid tenants in an apartment block were served with eviction notices after deciding to buy dogs despite being told cluid has a zero dog and cat policy ,
    But the corpo allow pets it's discrimination , your not corpo tenants

Gatling wrote: »
    There was a similar thread a few years ago where a group of cluid tenants in an apartment block were served with eviction notices after deciding to buy dogs despite being told cluid has a zero dog and cat policy ,
    But the corpo allow pets it's discrimination , your not corpo tenants

What is it with people who cant afford to look after themselves and thinking having a few dogs is some sort of human right and not being allowed to have one in a free apartment is that being infringed.

• Advertisement

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Looks like him to me. If not it's the spit. Says Dublin, Ireland. Crying Discrimination etc..

If it is him, and he was working in Canada just last year, then the people who fight telling you people don't come to this country and get free houses straight away and have to be resident and be here two years have some serious egg on their faces.

And near a million quid gaff at that.
    While as per the original article having that apartment in dublin since January 2019....
    So living and working in canada possibly at the same time...or attempting to...
    If it is him that is definitely not legal.
    I will leave it to welfare to look into it.

Advertisement