Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Social housing isn't free.

if someone pays rent for a local authority house ( 30% in dublin dont bother paying at all ) from a welfare payment , thats a free house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

gmisk wrote: »
    While as per the original article having that apartment in dublin since January 2019....
    So living and working in canada possibly at the same time...or attempting to...
    If it is him that is definitely not legal.
    I will leave it to welfare to look into it.

Sorry i missed the bit about being there since Jan 19.

I suppose then if it is him, he has family in the house and he's gone to work in another country. That's legal??? I don't know??

Maybe I have egg on my face now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Sorry i missed the bit about being there since Jan 19.

I suppose then if it is him, he has family in the house and he's gone to work in another country. That's legal??? I don't know??

Maybe I have egg on my face now :o
    No it isn't.
    It is also a one bedroom apartment....

gmisk wrote: »
    No it isn't.
    It is also a one bedroom apartment.

Fair enough. Probably renting it out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Fair enough. Probably renting it out :pac:

Also Illegal to sublet social housing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They can have my house in D5 and I'll pay for the whole family to have memberships for Westwood if I can have one of those flats in Rathgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

€700k - €950k per unit! Absolutely scandalous. Is Ireland unique on the planet for paying money like this for government housing?

We need a cap of around €300k per unit. If that buys DCC nothing in the city centre, then so be it, they can use the money to place people outside the city centre in twice as many units. Of course will never happen while we have semi-literate local left wing councilors in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

€700k - €950k per unit! Absolutely scandalous. Is Ireland unique on the planet for paying money like this for government housing?

We need a cap of around €300k per unit. If that buys DCC nothing in the city centre, then so be it, they can use the money to place people outside the city centre in twice as many units. Of course will never happen while we have semi-literate local left wing councilors in charge.

This is it. The idea that somebody who cant even be arsed to achieve any more than living off the state can get a house in our most expensive city for free is insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is it. The idea that somebody who cant even be arsed to achieve any more than living off the state can get a house in our most expensive city for free is insanity

It's the fact that they're relying on private builders to provide this housing. If they had bought some land in D6 and the local council had developed it for social and affordable housing this wouldn't bother me, but what they're doing now is insanity.
    As we have all seen in the news this week it would be a lot cheaper for councils to build housing themselves instead of relying on private sector and HAP.
    If we could do it in the 1930s I can't see why we can't do it now, but that's neo-liberalism for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's the fact that they're relying on private builders to provide this housing. If they had bought some land in D6 and the local council had developed it for social and affordable housing this wouldn't bother me, but what they're doing now is insanity.
    As we have all seen in the news this week it would be a lot cheaper for councils to build housing themselves instead of relying on private sector and HAP.
    If we could do it in the 1930s I can't see why we can't do it now, but that's neo-liberalism for you.

I agree the councils should build it themselves, but considering what working people cant even afford, its a slap in the face to everyone to build any social housing inside the m50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im not an expert but I believe the move away from social only developments was for better integration and to avoid the kind of housing developments we saw in the past that had high levels of unemployment, drug and anti social behavior problems.

In theory this peppering approach of social housing amongst private is to have a better overall balanced society. While its something I personally agree with, between the councils and also charitable housing organizations it feels like there is an incredible amount of social housing being built and i know from my own locality the % is far higher than the recommended 10%. I think this will actually cause more problems when people who work hard are killing themselves to be able to buy anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

This is a link to a twitter account? To either someone with the same name
    it certainly doesn't look like the same guy.
    I can find nothing relating to what you have said.

image.jpg

kIZUomIC.jpg

They don't look alike.

He’s changed his Twitter location to Dublin. So this lad “fled” to here from Canada and is now claiming his free luxury apartment isn’t up to scratch and he’s being discriminated against.

Deport.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Here we have this bum claiming discrimination in Canada. Maybe that’s why he fled here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeniaKarim/status/1142811842336759808

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Here we have this bum claiming discrimination in Canada. Maybe that’s why he fled here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeniaKarim/status/1142811842336759808

Was he denied access to a spa retreat he didnt pay for? His dignity is taking a pummeling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He has a neck as hard as a jockey's bollocks. Then again he'll be emboldened by the various migrant(only some mind you) focussed NGO's who'll tell us it's racism and an affront to multiculturalism. Note how he's the representative in the article, rather than the other presumably more local and pale of face tenants who are complaining. "Diversity" is a charm for this kinda thing, because it has a tendency to quieten the obvious and understandable questions around the entitlement culture present in some. And his hard neck is harder than diamond if he came here from Canada claiming persecution. Canada, one of the most right on nations in the West. If that is the case - and it remains to be seen - then he should be deported and the individuals in the relevant depts that rubber stamped that nonsense should be demoted and removed from the process of making those kind of decisions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

jrosen wrote: »
    Im not an expert but I believe the move away from social only developments was for better integration and to avoid the kind of housing developments we saw in the past that had high levels of unemployment, drug and anti social behavior problems.

In theory this peppering approach of social housing amongst private is to have a better overall balanced society. While its something I personally agree with, between the councils and also charitable housing organizations it feels like there is an incredible amount of social housing being built and i know from my own locality the % is far higher than the recommended 10%. I think this will actually cause more problems when people who work hard are killing themselves to be able to buy anything.

Social housing tenants are working hard also. Over priced housing isn't the fault of social tenants but a wider societal issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

It's shocking what the council's are doing now. The gentleman has come from Kurdistan has been given a one bed apartment in the city centre and now cannot join the gym.

Neoliberalism at its absolute worst and it sickens me.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Social housing tenants are working hard also. Over priced housing isn't the fault of social tenants but a wider societal issue.

Some absolutely do, no doubt about it. I have no problem with taxes being spent on helping those who need it, especially those who are in difficulty through no fault of their own. Fully support education assistance for those in disadvantaged areas to support then breaking the cycle and help them access a standard of living they didn't grow up with etc. but as a country, we don't distinguish between those trying to help themselves & needing support to do so and those who have made a deliberate lifestyle choice to sponge off the state & have and overwhelming sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Just to add some facts to the discussion, as the article contained very little:

- The prices of the apartments mentioned is massively selective, prices started at 500k for 2 beds, and 400k for a 1 bed I believe, pretty standard fare for a suburb in south Dublin, in close proximity to the city centre
    - There is no communal rooftop terrace, there are penthouse apartments with large balconies, nobody in any of the blocks has any access to the roof for any reason
    - The residents pay a hefty service charge to avail of all of the amenities mentioned(most of which have been closed for half of the year because of covid), you cannot pick and choose to join the gym, or use the concierge, you pay the fee in full and gain access to everything
    - The Dartry gym that is mentioned is still on the man's doorstep, it's less than 5 mins away in the car, probably a 15 min walk at the most

A lot of the residents in the complex are just unfriendly, it has nothing to do with these people being in social housing, they aren't friendly to anyone. They are in their 60s/70s, have downsized from multi million euro houses in Rathgar, and are very wealthy. My personal experience is that more often than not, people fitting that description aren't the friendliest bunch. The quotes related to this just sound like projection of insecurities to me(I'm sure does feel weird to live in a completely different socio-economic area to the one you have spent your whole life in), and as a counter point, living in the same general block as the social housing units, I have found everyone living in them to be extremely unfriendly, aside from one man.

The article is complete nonsense, why have any of these quotes been included in it, when it is made clear that the author has fact checked them and proven them to be false? What relevance does the past family deaths of one of the residents have, other than to attempt to manipulate the reader's emotions? If 'social apartheid' boils down to not having access to amenities you don't pay for, I don't know what to say. Expecting a charity organisation to pay for these things when they are probably worn very thin with expenses related to accommodation in Dublin already is just ridiculous.

The article just seems to be a general dig at any party other than those living in these really nice, council funded apartments, at a very cheap rate. I found it pretty insulting as a resident with a huge mortgage on my back, and a large fee coming out of my account every month to pay for these amenities they aren't paying for. I'm sure it's garnered a nice amount of clicks for the IT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Message is don't become a landlord ..there is no money in it.

To have nearly a quarter of those aged between 22 and 49 in renting arrears and one third of single parents ..in the PRIVATE sector one you would expect to be stable is crazy and a huge burden on landlords who are usually on the small scale.

Yeah... When your are quoting and replying to your own posts... That's a sign.

• Advertisement

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    He’s changed his Twitter location to Dublin. So this lad “fled” to here from Canada and is now claiming his free luxury apartment isn’t up to scratch and he’s being discriminated against.

Deport.

Deport
    This is absolutely crazy and f#cking infuriating.
    Did he satisfy residency rules?
    How can he afford a gym in the first place, heck I can't even afford the gym breaking my back on the front line.
    Did he claim asylum straight from a job in Canada.
    Did he satisfy 'declare means' for social welfare.
    And
    How the hell did he get social housing and only a year in the country from canada, according to his twitter. Like for f@ck sake Ireland!
    There's hardworking genuine families waiting 10 years to be housed and this bum rocks up and gets what he wants. While idiots like me are working to my bone, can't even save whilst renting.
    *also wait for his 10 plus family members to rock up to Dublin Airport in the not to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

"Social tenants in a luxury apartment complex".

Statement of the day.

Would the papers of paid this guy for that story?

Surely you know you're gonna get slaughtered by people online and around the complex and area when you go in the paper with a big smug head on you living in "luxury" for **** all and then have the cheek to publicly give it about it.

Is it really worth the hassle for the use of a poxy gym?? I've seen these complex gyms, usually 3 or 4 treadmills and a few weights. They aren't anything special.

People are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Would the papers of paid this guy for that story?

Surely you know you're gonna get slaughtered by people online and around the complex and area when you go in the paper with a big smug head on you living in "luxury" for **** all and then have the cheek to publicly give it about it.

Is it really worth the hassle for the use of a poxy gym?? I've seen these complex gyms, usually 3 or 4 treadmills and a few weights. They aren't anything special.

People are dumb.

The gym is crap, the one he was a member of is far better, and basically a stone's throw from the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Social housing tenants are working hard also. .

Not the majority apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Deport
    How can he afford a gym in the first place, heck I can't even afford the gym breaking my back on the front line.
    And
    How the hell did he get social housing and only a year in the country from canada, according to his twitter. Like for f@ck sake Ireland!
    There's hardworking genuine families waiting 10 years to be housed and this bum rocks up and gets what he wants. While idiots like me are working to my bone, can't even save whilst renting.
    *also wait for his 10 plus family members to rock up to Dublin Airport in the not to distant future.

Without us having all the details it does seen suspect. None of us know individual circumstances though.

It's the entitlement that would annoy some people. The notion that being given a nice apartment in a nice part of town as someone with little to no income and probably unemployed is discrimination is just absurd.

Of course it's going to rub people up the wrong way when they see things like this.

Deport
    And

There's folk who reckon Roma gypsies etc can't get RA & social welfare etc in Ireland..... It's obvious as fnck it's not hard to game the system here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

listermint wrote: »
    The notion that someone in receipt of housing assistance or a social house from the local authority has never lifted a finger in their life really puts front and centre your ignorance on the subject. I mean it's daily mail level of insight and knowledge and no one should be proud of such a view point.

You really don't have a grasp of the subject matter at all , frankly I'd be embarrassed to be this sure footed when spouting nonsense.

I think people who shout this crap should be given a weekend course in the circular Economy. Where social assistance goes and what the true cost to the state is .

That was lovely rant earlier and all but the caveat of “if” was applied as I was discussing the matter with the poster I Love Your Vibes who was happy in general, it seemed, to pay for services herself while others don’t. I don’t know where you’re going with your Daily Mail talk, an entity I’ve never consumed, nor where you’re getting this “proud ignorance” stance. It was a conversation which had a tangent off from the main subject. I’ve also said I believe that people are entitled to a help up and should get same when needed.

Glad to clear that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Augeo wrote: »
    There's folk who reckon Roma gypsies etc can't get RA & social welfare etc in Ireland..... It's obvious as fnck it's not hard to game the system here.

I've been trying to seek a straight answer for this for ages. To my knowledge an EU national isnt entitled to welfare assistance I.e housing assistance for 3 years (itself a ridiculously short timeframe). Yet anecdotally the amount of Roma in Dublin has exploded in the last decade, I'd say they are probably every sixth or seventh person you pass in the north inner city, particularly between the Mater and town and around Gardiner St. Plenty of them living in Blanch in standard housing- rental property is hard enough to obtain with a job and a fistful of references, so a crowd with a shall we say poor reputation, you would seriously have to think that another body is renting the property on their behalf and guaranteeing any damage / wear and tear beyond 1 months deposit worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Anyone who uses the meaningless work "neo-liberal" is not going to be taken seriously.

If it was that simple, why aren't they doing it? Maybe because in the modern world (we're not in the 1930's by the way) it requires highly specialized skills and expertise in raising finance, legal, planning, construction and project management. Councils simply don't have these people. Then there is the risk aspect. When things go wrong, and they will when it comes to Irish property, are we expecting councils to get into deep financial trouble.

Actually if the private sector was just allowed to let rip we'd see a huge surge in house building. DCC have refused planning for an extra 100 apartments in Spencer Dock...here we have the council refusing homes and its not the first time they've done that.

Advertisement