Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

I do genuinely wonder, if you took a social tenant from this apartment, and weighed up their income/outgoings in detail, euro for euro, are they better off than the Taoiseach.

.. Or more relatable, how do they fare out against the working population, in terms of their "financial wellbeing". If you have a million euro apartment, and pay €35 a week in rent on it, that's a massive financial gain over the others who are paying mortgage rates on theirs.

So over the course of a lifetime, loan interest and such included, the nominal rent charged by the council is likely not enough to cover the interest on the private-owner's mortgage, so the social tenant is effectively 'up' a million euro on his working neighbour. Then add in the other subsidies, lack of commuting costs, etc.

You'd normally hear people rant and rave that the doleheads are better off than the workers. Which is generally untrue, however, when you give the never-workers luxury accommodation worth nearly a million euro, it does seem like it must be somewhat plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Augeo wrote: »
    There's folk who reckon Roma gypsies etc can't get RA & social welfare etc in Ireland..... It's obvious as fnck it's not hard to game the system here.

I've actually had a think about it. Heres my theory.

Couple arrive from Romania with kids, she pregnant. Immediately take up residence in one of those old dump buildings dozens of them live in in the North IC. New people, no right to welfare on the surface.

She gives birth. Pleads absolute poverty, between jobs and family just need a quick dig out to build their new life with their new "Irish" child, granted exception for a medical card and dole by a CWO so the child doesn't end up dying and becoming a cause celebre for PBP and the rest.

Few weeks later, wife claims she has fled the doss house, husband has attacked her. She "admits" she cheated on him- not only is she in danger from him and cant return to doss house, she cant return to Romania as in Roma culture she is a disgrace / embarrassment to her own parents and family.

She is now "marooned" in Ireland with a violent ex, no job, and no prospect of safely returning home.

She then moves to a hostel or a homeless hub and is, like any homeless family, bumped up the queue for emergency placement in a council house or, more commonly, a landlord owned property.

A week into the new house her and the fella miraculously reconcile and enter the world of subletting to their newly arriving cousins while they get on their feet.

What a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/housing/i-am-looking-home/i-want-apply-council-home
    Currently waiting on the Council List
    The demand for social housing is high. When you apply for housing you'll be placed on a waiting list, you can expect to wait at least 7 years before we can offer you a house (depending on your housing need).

My question is, how did Mr. Karim climb up that 7 year waiting list? I believe also that single people have to wait even longer than say families.

If this man was working in Canada only last year how on earth has he won the lottery by getting social housing in a very desirable neighbourhood?
    Who makes that decision and how did they come to it?
    That's the question Mannix Flynn should be asking not getting upset about some imaginary 'apartheid'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

I've actually had a think about it. Heres my theory.

Couple arrive from Romania with kids, she pregnant. Immediately take up residence in one of those old dump buildings dozens of them live in in the North IC. New people, no right to welfare on the surface.

She gives birth. Pleads absolute poverty, between jobs and family just need a quick dig out to build their new life with their new "Irish" child, granted exception for a medical card and dole by a CWO so the child doesn't end up dying and becoming a cause celebre for PBP and the rest.

Few weeks later, wife claims she has fled the doss house, husband has attacked her. She "admits" she cheated on him- not only is she in danger from him and cant return to doss house, she cant return to Romania as in Roma culture she is a disgrace / embarrassment to her own parents and family.

She is now "marooned" in Ireland with a violent ex, no job, and no prospect of safely returning home.

She then moves to a hostel or a homeless hub and is, like any homeless family, bumped up the queue for emergency placement in a council house or, more commonly, a landlord owned property.

A week into the new house her and the fella miraculously reconcile and enter the world of subletting to their newly arriving cousins while they get on their feet.

What a country.

Is that a movie script?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Brown envelope?

It could well be, unless there is someone watching the watchers, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Some people want everything for nothing.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Is that a movie script?

It could have been part of the plot of Falling Down to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The whole way the government is bending over backwards for wasters who have no intention of ever working or contributing to society is sickening.
    You should get what you earn, but reality is the more useless you are in this country will benefit you more.
    Someone who has scraped and saved for a deposit and works hard for their home should not have to put up with someone being handed the house next to them.

Charge them 500 a month for the gym, ten times the usual cost, a reflection of the optional " rent " they pay. A real shocker rte never imvestigates this. I wonder what the situation in the uk is, assuming they actually have to pay a meaningful rent...

Wasters who dont vote, wasters who would never vote fg, who ate throwing this luxury at them! 99% of early risers dont qualify for this free luxury housing. Every one of my mates had to get help from parents and break their balls doing up their houses as much as possible, doer uppers, to be able to live in decent houses in decent areas. Paying a fifty percent maginal tax rate, in a banana republic with no justice system, virtually zero military expenditure , **** infrastructure. Dublin doesnt even have a transport system after two booms. So where is an insane marginal rate of fifty percent over a pittance going? To fund this madness, to keep margaret cash and co from.emigrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    15 percent of the highest earner wage in a household.

Let's say he's on minimum wage of €10.10, that's just over €20,000 per annum.
    15% = €3K which is €250 a month. That's astonishing value for a place as luxurious as that. I know the area well, I lived in Dartry for over 4 years about 10 years ago. Great location; Dodder is 300m away, Bushy Park less than 20 mins walk, plenty of shops, be they cheap or expensive. Pity the 101 is gone as there was a mighty pint of Guinness in it.

Kitty Holland is either a useless journalist or else a twisted one to put up a story like that and either not get his full back story, or else not bother printing it. But she has form on this and I wouldn't trust her as she clearly has an agenda.

I'd love to live there, I genuinely would, I find it incredible on many accounts how someone can come here and be offered an apartment like that for so little after one year.

He needs to explain this tweet and why he left Canada with a work permit to work anywhere for two years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeniaKarim/status/1133743406440767488

533661.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

statesaver wrote: »
    Some people want everything for nothing.

Shut up

Sit down

Keep milking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

KevRossi wrote: »
    SNIP

Kitty Holland is either a useless journalist or else a twisted one to put up a story like that and either not get his full back story, or else not bother printing it. But she has form on this and I wouldn't trust her as she clearly has an agenda.

I'd love to live there, I genuinely would, I find it incredible on many accounts how someone can come here and be offered an apartment like that for so little after one year.

He needs to explain this tweet and why he left Canada with a work permit to work anywhere for two years.

Absolutely true.

With The Irish Times occasionally still living of it's old status as "The paper of record",few appear to be bothered to hold it to any standards,if such things exist in Modern Irish Journalism.

The travails of this gent,are largely irrelevant,as he represents a growing sector of well travelled exotic foreign types,who display a high degree of intelligence and ability to identify State Systems which are easy to manipulate on a long term basis.

These systems will never be found in their home countries,even though many such States actually do have Social Welfare systems themselves,just none offering such widespread benefits for extended lengths of time.

Journalists such as Ms Holland,actually do have a professional duty to carry out a due-diligence form of research on their atricles,particularly when the thrust is to portray our domestic agencies in a poor light relating to whatever "Issue de Jour" is currently occupying that Journalists consciousness.

It will most likely fall to some younger,less pliable journalist from The Sunday Times (Irish Edition) or suchlike,to deliver the actuality in relation to the Marienalla situation.

A lot of the current lack of commonsense in matters journalistic is,I fear,down to the Irish 3rd Level structure and it's loss of direction.... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

AlekSmart wrote: »
    SNIP

Absolutely true.

With The Irish Times occasionally still living of it's old status as "The paper of record",few appear to be bothered to hold it to any standards,if such things exist in Modern Irish Journalism.

The travails of this gent,are largely irrelevant,as he represents a growing sector of well travelled exotic foreign types,who display a high degree of intelligence and ability to identify State Systems which are easy to manipulate on a long term basis.

These systems will never be found in their home countries,even though many such States actually do have Social Welfare systems themselves,just none offering such widespread benefits for extended lengths of time.

Journalists such as Ms Holland,actually do have a professional duty to carry out a due-diligence form of research on their atricles,particularly when the thrust is to portray our domestic agencies in a poor light relating to whatever "Issue de Jour" is currently occupying that Journalists consciousness.

It will most likely fall to some younger,less pliable journalist from The Sunday Times (Irish Edition) or suchlike,to deliver the actuality in relation to the Marienalla situation.

A lot of the current lack of commonsense in matters journalistic is,I fear,down to the Irish 3rd Level structure and it's loss of direction.... ;)

Kitty Hollands politics are far left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is that a movie script?

No but I bet its learned off and rehearsed by many

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    AlekSmart wrote: »

Kitty Hollands politics are far left

Yes,but if she is trading on her Professional Journalistic credentials,then her political leanings are (or should be) irrelevant,particularly when employed by,or contributing to a Mainstream publication which trades on it's "integrity".

It is high time that Irish Journalists,acting in the role of Organ Grinder,are at the very least asked to provide some evidence of having researched their Monkeys before using them as some form of weapon against the wicked State Apparatus etc etc...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Holland's father is a perennial candidate for various Marxists in Derry if I'm not mistaken (currently PBP as I recall but they're fairly new)

Not sure if hes ever made council let alone a national seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

He presumably fled war and genocide in Kurdistan and yet finds not being able to use a gym that he dosnt pay for to be an intolerable assault on his dignity. His dignity is not too rigid to accept charity and access to a luxury apartment. Balls of ****ing brass.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

People in council housing work so your argument isn't valid.

and most of them do not want to work either because they lose all their lovely benefits........... I know of one such person who is living in social housing, not working yet has a car and a van on the road, apartments going for 1500 euro a month to rent and yet this work shy person floats around all day while tax payers fit the bill and to top it all off the ****er thinks he is hard done by.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Holland's father is a perennial candidate for various Marxists in Derry if I'm not mistaken (currently PBP as I recall but they're fairly new)

Not sure if hes ever made council let alone a national seat.

Eamonn McCann. He's a sitting councillor, having previously been an MLA.

.anon. wrote: »
    Eamonn McCann. He's a sitting councillor, having previously been an MLA.

At least he got the boot from Stormont so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I feel this is debatable tbh.

Its undoubtedly more advantageous for them to own their houses and the capital in them even if they have a mortgage.

Nobody forced the poor unfortunates out of their own houses and into luxury apartments.

They'd actually have to work though to pay for a house

Such a load of bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Segregation is needed, someone getting a place handed to them for less than the price of the monthly depreciation of a new Ford Fiesta shouldn't be living in the same place as someone working their bollix off paying €2k a month for a mortgage.

It would never happen in Trump's America.

Yerra stop, man. No half measures. Adolf is your only man. :rolleyes: He wouldn't stand for any of it. That auld democracy gets in the way of things. Now that there is an issue to be exploited, who have you in mind as the coming man? Would you be interested yourself?

If I'm breaking me bo11ix working so these vulnerable people like these can get put up in luxury accommodation, I won't afford without selling a child's kidney, they should at least be able to use the rooftop terrace so they can wave at me while I pass then on my morning commute, when I'm lucky to be back commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If I'm breaking me bo11ix working so these vulnerable people like these can get put up in luxury accommodation, I won't afford without selling a child's kidney, they should at least be able to use the rooftop terrace so they can wave at me while I pass then on my morning commute, when I'm lucky to be back commuting.

Sure they might as well go the whole hog and stand at the edge of the rooftop and literally piss on you from a height while you are passing underneath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If the same rent is being paid the tenants should have the same access.

However putting people up in such places instead of council owned property is ridiculous, but then how will the poor companies make their profits? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Bowie wrote: »
    If the same rent is being paid the tenants should have the same access.

However putting people up in such places instead of council owned property is ridiculous, but then how will the poor companies make their profits? :rolleyes:

The same rent is not being paid and the council is paying a reduced maintenance fee also.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I can't believe people paid that much to live somewhere that sounds like a nasty bacteria

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Charge them 500 a month for the gym, ten times the usual cost, a reflection of the optional " rent " they pay. A real shocker rte never imvestigates this. I wonder what the situation in the uk is, assuming they actually have to pay a meaningful rent...

Wasters who dont vote, wasters who would never vote fg, who ate throwing this luxury at them! 99% of early risers dont qualify for this free luxury housing. Every one of my mates had to get help from parents and break their balls doing up their houses as much as possible, doer uppers, to be able to live in decent houses in decent areas. Paying a fifty percent maginal tax rate, in a banana republic with no justice system, virtually zero military expenditure , **** infrastructure. Dublin doesnt even have a transport system after two booms. So where is an insane marginal rate of fifty percent over a pittance going? To fund this madness, to keep margaret cash and co from.emigrating...

Just remember which political party had Maggie Cash on one of their marches ranting and raving with a microphone.

Mary Lou called for an election because of poor Maggie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/mary-lou-mcdonald-tallaght-garda-station-children-4172481-Aug2018/?amp=1

What have you to say about that Idbatterim??

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

How much are DCC paying in rent and charges for those apartments? That’s mental money.

omg. it really is mental money. There is an element though of these social tenants being used as conveyor mules to ensure that Council money pays the mortgages of luxury investors' apartment investments.

E900,000,000 (almost E1Billion) was paid in 2019 by Council to Investors.

btw, during this lockdown, were payments to investors stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

omg. it really is mental money. There is an element though of these social tenants being used as conveyor mules to ensure that Council money pays the mortgages of luxury investors' apartment investments.

E900,000,000 (almost E1Billion) was paid in 2019 by Council to Investors.

btw, during this lockdown, were payments to investors stopped?

Would you rather them on the street?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    There's folk who reckon Roma gypsies etc can't get RA & social welfare etc in Ireland..... It's obvious as fnck it's not hard to game the system here.

Rumour has it there's online info in certain languages, not English, of how to milk said system before even arriving on the land here.
    They can get it.

Advertisement