Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar council tenants in luxury apartments claim discrimination over facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Would the papers of paid this guy for that story?

Surely you know you're gonna get slaughtered by people online and around the complex and area when you go in the paper with a big smug head on you living in "luxury" for **** all and then have the cheek to publicly give it about it.

Is it really worth the hassle for the use of a poxy gym?? I've seen these complex gyms, usually 3 or 4 treadmills and a few weights. They aren't anything special.

People are dumb.

Yeah, the paper is trying to make out it’s David Lloyd Riverview or something, it’s like a poor hotel gym typically, where they leave a few dumbbells in a spare bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Rumour has it there's online info in certain languages, not English, of how to milk said system before even arriving on the land here.
    They can get it.

Kitty Holland should have asked him why he “fled” Canada and ended up 4,000 miles away in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

macnug wrote: »
    Although I agree that 700k is a bit much and they could get more for their money, its nice to see that everyone gets to share the burden. I live in a private housing estate where 20-30% has been bought by the council.

It's an outrageous sum of money to pay to accommodate a single man. It's very poor value for the taxpayer. I don't understand the rationale of buying luxury apartments when they could buy two houses for two families in a less desirable location.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why is anyone who hasn't worked in 5 years housed by the council in productive areas where taxpayers need to live? Surely some place outside Dublin where the accommodation could be bought for 25% or less of the price of those apartments would make more sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why did the guy in the OP cancel his other gym knowing under the t&c before he moved in, that they were not allowed to use the gym in the complex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Suckit wrote: »
    Why did the guy in the OP cancel his other gym knowing under the t&c before he moved in, that they were not allowed to use the gym in the complex?

His story to the media would have been that extra bit sh1t if he did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Just remember which political party had Maggie Cash on one of their marches ranting and raving with a microphone.

Mary Lou called for an election because of poor Maggie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/mary-lou-mcdonald-tallaght-garda-station-children-4172481-Aug2018/%3famp=1

What have you to say about that Idbatterim??

Who is responsible for the system lead to this threads title? Who gave mags her house?
    If you've issues with the housing policy, look at the government created it and maintained it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A person could come to Ireland, claim asylum, get status and be naturalised.
    Then get themselves on a housing list.
    Then get a visa to Canada, go there, get a job at the airport, rely on the default refrain of "racism" as soon as they encounter something that they don't like. Get a shock when it doesn't immediately work like it did in Ireland. Then come back to take up free luxury apartment after forgetting to tell SW they were gone and getting to the top of the list.

The Revenue might be the only ones who might put the brakes on such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Fair play to Kitty Holland. This story must have driven a decent amount of clicks to the Irish Times this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would you rather them on the street?

That’s the 2 options so.

Stick them in €600-900k pads or on the street.

If only there was another way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s the 2 options so.

Stick them in €600-900k pads or on the street.

If only there was another way.

This is what gets me. We're guaranteeing the cash flow for developers and hight end property mancos for 25 years at a time. Government needs to build themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fair play to Kitty Holland. This story must have driven a decent amount of clicks to the Irish Times this weekend.
    You'd have to wonder, is she under the illusion she's doing God's work highlighting "injustice" or is she just a cynical clickbaiter for her corporate paymasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You'd have to wonder, is she under the illusion she's doing God's work highlighting "injustice" or is she just a cynical clickbaiter for her corporate paymasters?

No.2 , media outlets hire people like her, louise oneill and una mullally to write these click driving reactionary pieces that have little substance but get shared out of disgust / adoration by both extreme sides of the aisle

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Would you rather them on the street?

1000 Million euro is borrowed money at interest on the international markets.
    So that 1000 million (plus interest) is paid to foreign entities for apartments that we could have built multiples of and we'd own them.

This parasitic process is what keeps us as a country going down. The country is like a sinking ship with many holes. And many small groups in various parts of the ship pointing to the hole only where they are standing at.

From the top we are loosing and wasting billions.
    From the bottom, we are loosing and wasting billions.
    In the middle, are the plebs like me and you who have to pay for it.

Social welfare should be a temporary handout/up, not a generational class gravy train for people who are content with 'their' weekly payment.
    And this is all intentional by the government. Continuous Problem, Reaction, Pretend Solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

No.2 , media outlets hire people like her, louise oneill and una mullally to write these click driving reactionary pieces that have little substance but get shared out of disgust / adoration by both extreme sides of the aisle

True, yet it's interesting that it's nearly always from one side of the isle. They clearly bank on the reaction, yet don't mind if the topic gains support. They'd never let a right wing type write "we need to stop immigration" or something similar, even though it would probably garner them even more clicks.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TomTomTim wrote: »
    True, yet it's interesting that it's nearly always from one side of the isle. They clearly bank on the reaction, yet don't mind if the topic gains support. They'd never let a right wing type write "we need to stop immigration" or something similar, even though it would probably garner them even more clicks.

Advertising, Louise , Una and Kitty appeal to women and the left, the demographics responsible for most consumer spending. Its not just about article clicks but the ads within.

“ all migrants are good, heres a face scrub for you to buy” is an easier pitch than “close the borders <no ad displayed because companies dont want near that> “

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

smurgen wrote: »
    This is what gets me. We're guaranteeing the cash flow for developers and hight end property mancos for 25 years at a time. Government needs to build themselves.

Bingo. The government work hard, but not for us. You have to create the problem in order to come up with a 'solution'. But the kicker here is that this solution is guna be very expensive.

Examples:
    1) National Children's Hospital. (2000 million)
    2) National Broadband Scheme (3000 million)
    3) Social Welfare (21,000 million)
    4) Dysfunctional HSE (16,000 million)

For an example of what 60 million looks like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCUlh429VI

Just google what a multi-million dollar or euro gets you in 1st and 2nd world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

That policy has been in place there for at least 3 years as far as I remember - its not a new story. As for the **** about no dogs- get a life - that's policy in most apartments. (I see a note at the end of the article now saying it was amended on Saturday 21st)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Holland's father is a perennial candidate for various Marxists in Derry if I'm not mistaken (currently PBP as I recall but they're fairly new)

Not sure if hes ever made council let alone a national seat.

Eamon Mc Cann

not the worst , deluded politics in a broad sense but made worthwhile contribution down the years in northern ireland

Bowie wrote: »
    Who is responsible for the system lead to this threads title? Who gave mags her house?
    If you've issues with the housing policy, look at the government created it and maintained it?

various left wing lobby groups who influence government policy

• Advertisement

shes a genuine ideologue , those kind are much more dangerous

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    shes a genuine ideologue , those kind are much more dangerous
    Yep and she well knows how to deflect the obvious questions.
    Note how he's the representative in the article, rather than the other presumably more local and pale of face tenants who are complaining.

If one of the other White residents was front and centre more would be likely to ask WTF!!, but play the "diversity" card and more are silenced from fear of being labelled racist.

Even though it seems this same guy that apparently had to flee the right wing monocultural war zone that is Canada, rocks up here and gets a free gaff in very expensive leafy suburbia in double quick time, when housing for local Irish people is a serious problem raises more pertinent questions. But how many will be willing to stick their head up and cry no bloody more?

Mainstream Ireland is too bloody quiet about this nonsense, but will they remain quiet for long? I hope they don't, because there are current plans afoot to reinstate the anchor baby loophole that 80% of the Irish people voted against, without going to the polls again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The lefty Arts graduates who cant afford to rent in Dublin don't realise that the Council is driving up the price of rent by housing the perpetual layabouts in desirable areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Bollox
    There are very good flats for sale for 250000 in Dublin

There are 1 bed flats for sale in places for as low as 140k last time I looked.

But nah, let's spend 7 times that on 1 and hand it to some moany ****er from Kurdistan who is in the country 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

After reading eighteen pages on this thread, my conclusion in regard to a guy getting an apartment of grandeur was just the ticking time-bomb for begrudgery to take effect. I find it amazing that so many **** on this thread moan so much about their taxes and spend so much time whinging about it constantly instead of enjoying their live's.

The guy got a nice apartment fair enough, if that is really the guy previously linked on thread and he is screwing the system then he is also a wanker, buy hey, everyone needs a roof over their head and if you can get a nice one and fully legal and the contract is signed from the housing association and the tenent then happy day's as they say, enjoy the new apartment. One thing though... no-one here knows the true circumstances of the guy mentioned and therfore should have an aside as to his personal circumstances.

Fecking putrid comments in previous posts on this thread. I never heard so many people whine so much about their taxes. Why waste so much time complaining about this?.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

After reading eighteen pages on this thread, my conclusion in regard to a guy getting an apartment of grandeur was just the ticking time-bomb for begrudgery to take effect. I find it amazing that so many **** on this thread moan so much about their taxes and spend so much time whinging about it constantly instead of enjoying their live's.

The guy got a nice apartment fair enough, if that is really the guy previously linked on thread and he is screwing the system then he is also a wanker, buy hey, everyone needs a roof over their head and if you can get a nice one and fully legal and the contract is signed from the housing association and the tenent then happy day's as they say, enjoy the new apartment. One thing though... no-one here knows the true circumstances of the guy mentioned and therfore should have an aside as to his personal circumstances.

Fecking putrid comments in previous posts on this thread. I never heard so many people whine so much about their taxes. Why waste so much time complaining about this?.

He should still shut his gob about the gym though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

He should still shut his gob about the gym though.

I agree. Very stupid for him to bring that up.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I agree. Very stupid for him to bring that up.

Isn't that what kicked this whole thing off though? I can't be bothered checking the article again but I think that's what kicked off the fuss and "begrudgery". That this fella felt he should shout discrimation because he can't use the gym, instead of enjoying his free gaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I see he's taken his image off twitter now.

Took out Dublin, Ireland as location too.

I'd say his posts will follow.

Deffo is him. Hope all his bitching comes back to bite him in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I personally fully support social housing. I also fully support the welfare state(and free education and healthcare). I am not some newly minted reading too much Ayn Rand ballsology "libertarian". To the latter I'm damned near a communist.

The problems I do have with it are entirely to do with implementation and waste of resources across all of the above. This is certainly not about begrudgery on my part, nor do I have a mortgage hanging over my head.

However, most of my friends do(or the younger ones paying large chunks of their earnings in rent) and have that constant monthly worry at the back of their heads to one degree or other, not least in these Covid times and what is likely facing us economically in the future because of it. I can certainly understand those people having a serious bloody problem with this. Not the social housing, but the hard bloody neck to not be at least bloody grateful for it and crowing about entitlements for more. That some have this cocksure sense of entitlement for what are luxuries for many hard working people in this country is a sure sign that something's very bloody wrong.
    If it is indeed the same guy then it is more than a farce. Fleeing the hellhole of fascist Canada eh? Well one things for damned sure, he'd not be getting anything like such a place in Canada's social housing setup 18 months in. If he is that same guy then he's more than a wanker, he's taking a roof over the heads and money out of the pockets of Irish people born and bred here and then has the gall to feel entitled to gym access? Seriously? That's beyond bloody insane on every level. He should be marched out of this country and those who rubber stamped his entrance and social welfare should be removed from any position of power to make such stupid decisions again.

If he's someone else who has actually fled genuine threat from some hellhole country out there, would you not be more than grateful to go from some third world hellhole,, be given asylum, money in your pocket and a luxury apartment in leafy suburbia? Oh no, I'm missing leg day on the weights. Doesn't add up and I know two actual asylum seekers who fit the above description who would be floored by that sense of entitlement and the sheer brass neck to go public about it.
    I have little problem with taxes and I've paid enough of them down the years, quite likely more than average. Again I have a problem with the implementation of how they're being spent. And not just in cases like this. The list of state waste of all our taxes is a bloody long one and until we complain and complain hard and make our complaints known at the ballot box we'll just keep pissing money up the wall for little return.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement