Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Ireland Autumn Nations Cup | 21.11.20 KO 15:00 | RTE 1 Read Post #5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Way too easy. same old story regarding how difficult it looks for us to score. shocking stuff. honeymoon period is over. Farrell, coach in our World Cup disaster is now in a real fight. Catt, no idea what he's adding. he now needs to make real changes. people accepting this ****e yet still harping on about 2018 are an embarrassment. Ferris and Heaslip angling on England being poor, jesus just ridiculous.

Pray tell. What is this honeymoon you mention?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

OldRio wrote: »
    Pray tell. What is this honeymoon you mention?

Oh stop AF has had it easy. The reality is he, Murphy and SE were involved in the utter cluster**** of a World Cup. theres no getting away from it. apart from a match against a crap Wales we've been awful under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

VANG1 wrote: »
    England are the strongest team in the world, were inexperienced and missing our 2 best centres and out half

We need to get over this, while Sexton is the best 10 in Ireland without a doubt his time is coming to an end very fast.

I don’t think Ringrose or henshaw would have offered anything better there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Ferris is struggling with Movember. A little bit of bum fluff on his upper lip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Don’t forget the golden try opportunity in the first half
    from the Earls break when Keenan ran in front of the forwards pod and lost possession in the tackle.

And ofcourse the Farrell being held up over the line. Its fustrating as once again there were opertunities to win the game like in Feburary but we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Oh stop AF has had it easy. The reality is he, Murphy and SE were involved in the utter cluster**** of a World Cup. theres no getting away from it.

he's had what, 7 games?

thomas 123 wrote: »
    They left the ball to us as they knew we could do nothing.

England are fantastic to their credit.

We are looking at an early exit again from the World Cup the way things are going. Long way to go yet of course, but when you keep missing the line out and keep throwing it to the back there is something very wrong.

On the bright side things can only go up right?

I would rather have the low ebb for the next 2 years than for it to happen in a world cup year again. Who will care about this game come 2023? It's not even 6 nations so let's keep some perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Earls and Farrell both had to try very hard not to score.

Seriously I reckon if Murray was on from the start and we didn't **** up our own lineout we would have coasted.

62 versus 38% possession.

I don't buy that crap that England gave Ireland possession cause they wanted to test their defense. That's absolute horse manure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

This vid always cheers me up!

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    And ofcourse the Farrell being held up over the line. Its fustrating as once again there were opertunities to win the game like in Feburary but we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.

That’s it 10 points gone. I was thinking what was Darrel thinking with his body movements as he went down.

A 15 standing in the way of the pod would be something you would be berated in under 14’s rugby.

• Advertisement

During the first half on an England lineout they threw a crooked lineout. The ref called it, fine.
    The very next lineout England tried something revolutionary, left of centre call and it worked. They threw to the front. Wow.
    Perhaps, just perhaps Ireland might try this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Carbon copy of in Feburary.

It wasn’t. There was an improvement in the first twenty. We were turning them and in the game. In Feb we weren’t ever in the game. England took the foot off the pedal today like Feb but we were better today in the beginning. We resorted to type under pressure and I think Ross Byrne needs to be moved on. He noticeably lost us the game today , wasn’t able for the pressure and looked lost. We are looking better than we were in Feb

I would rather have the low ebb for the next 2 years than for it to happen in a world cup year again. Who will care about this game come 2023? It's not even 6 nations so let's keep some perspective

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

England were average and if we'd kicked a bit more and didn't make a few key errors that game would have been very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Earls and Farrell both had to try very hard not to score.

Seriously I reckon if Murray was on from the start and we didn't **** up our own lineout we would have coasted.

62 versus 38% possession.

I don't buy that crap that England gave Ireland possession cause they wanted to test their defense. That's absolute horse manure.

England have been playing this way a few years. They were 18-0 up and didn't need to do anything else other then defend solidly. They trusted their defence.

Weepsie wrote: »
    he's had what, 7 games?

was he was he not one of our main coaches in japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Way too easy. same old story regarding how difficult it looks for us to score. shocking stuff. honeymoon period is over. Farrell, coach in our World Cup disaster is now in a real fight. Catt, no idea what he's adding. he now needs to make real changes. people accepting this ****e yet still harping on about 2018 are an embarrassment. Ferris and Heaslip angling on England being poor, jesus just ridiculous.

Queue outrage. Amazing you didn’t post after the Wales game :D

Fair play England. Completely dominant. Fair play to us, we kept trying to batter them down. The game was crying for a few more chips from 9/10 to keep their defensive line honest. England very clinical. Do just about enough to build a lead and then shut the opposition down.

Lineout Aka Kelleher and Ryan penalties also cost us the game today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Some days it really sucks balls being an Irish fan, we just knew what we were facing and it’s so frustrating feeling we had no plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't think these tackles below the knees are remotely legal. Not much more than full body trips. I saw no attempt to use hands at all in a lot of cases.

• Advertisement

Oh stop AF has had it easy. The reality is he, Murphy and SE were involved in the utter cluster**** of a World Cup. theres no getting away from it. apart from a match against a crap Wales we've been awful under him.

Nah. Just no. But nah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

England are street wise. We drive daddy's merc

clsmooth wrote: »
    Queue outrage. Amazing you didn’t post after the Wales game :D

Fair play England. Completely dominant. Fair play to us, we kept trying to batter them down. The game was crying for a few more chips from 9/10 to keep their defensive line honest. England very clinical. Do just about enough to build a lead and then shut the opposition down.

cause the Wales game meant nothing. you happy with four games on the bounce being physically being bullied by England? good luck to you

almostover wrote: »
    Dinks out over the dead ball line is it?

The tactic is correct if not the execution. Box kicks are needless giving away possession

Nah. Just no. But nah

yeah stay in denial. Our core players too. france was a clutch game and we were ****e. its the reality ffs. He's got a few games now to save it. why are we still playing the old schmidtball. its utter ****e. wake up

Doris had a big game there. Very happy to see him show up in such a physical encounter and hold his own at just 22 years of age.

Ryan will be criticised for the penalties but he led from the front all day and put in a huge shift. Itoje the better of the two but surrounded by a stronger pack.

Think Ireland might need to look at it's forward coaching. Persistent issues over a year spells a problem deeper than the playing options available.

Murray put more shape on us when he came on but England we're shattered at that stage and their line speed was way off.

Hugo Keenan went well all things considered. Will be a valuable player for Ireland moving forward.

England so good in defence. I think they've the best pack in the world and would put them ahead of South Africa. I think we need to figure them out at a coaching level before our efforts will translate on the pitch. We're far too predictable for them.

That lineout works and we score and it's a different game. England weren't under pressure after May went over and got comfortable in defence.

I'm more optimistic after that - we can get up to the right pitch. We've a lot of quality injured but I'm not sure how effectively coached we are as a team. Effort today was huge but ineffective.

We were out thought...out fought and out coached today... didn't think we would win, but an English team that didn't look too great... absolutely hammered us!

We weren’t. A few crucial players had ‘mares. Kelleher Ryan and Byrne. That was our downfall today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

During the first half on an England lineout they threw a crooked lineout. The ref called it, fine.
    The very next lineout England tried something revolutionary, left of centre call and it worked. They threw to the front. Wow.
    Perhaps, just perhaps Ireland might try this.

There were so many inconsistencies from high tackles to line outs. I thought England were borderline offside most of the time .
    Once upon a time a Ronan Ogara would pin teams back with accurate kicking to the corner . If that happened England would only have kicked the ball back to us . At least we would have played most of the rugby in their 22. But instead we tried to run straight at them only to have turnover after turnover and if that didn’t happen we would just go backwards . Eventually coughing up a try.
    For an intelligent game they seem to consistently miss opponents weaknesses .

yeah stay in denial. Our core players too. france was a clutch game and we were ****e. its the reality ffs.

In denial. Sigh.... OK...

• Advertisement

In denial. Sigh.... OK...

sounds like it yeah. whats so hard to say we were poor today? we showed very little. we were crap. there's very little hammering today on the scoreboards. it was a hammering though.

England were average and if we'd kicked a bit more and didn't make a few key errors that game would have been very close.

England were never in danger of losing the game over the 80 minutes being honest though.

That try was good to get but it meant nothing in the context of winning the game because the game was already over.

People can point to the scoreboards saying that "they didn't win by that much, if we'd caught that ball..."(aside from that pre-world cup hammering) but England have had Ireland's number for those other games for the last couple of years now and have had the games in the bag throughout the 80 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Doris had a big game there. Very happy to see him show up in such a physical encounter and hold his own at just 22 years of age.

Ryan will be criticised for the penalties but he led from the front all day and put in a huge shift. Itoje the better of the two but surrounded by a stronger pack.

Think Ireland might need to look at it's forward coaching. Persistent issues over a year spells a problem deeper than the playing options available.

Murray put more shape on us when he came on but England we're shattered at that stage and their line speed was way off.

Hugo Keenan went well all things considered. Will be a valuable player for Ireland moving forward.

England so good in defence. I think they've the best pack in the world and would put them ahead of South Africa. I think we need to figure them out at a coaching level before our efforts will translate on the pitch. We're far too predictable for them.

That lineout works and we score and it's a different game. England weren't under pressure after May went over and got comfortable in defence.

I'm more optimistic after that - we can get up to the right pitch. We've a lot of quality injured but I'm not sure how effectively coached we are as a team. Effort today was huge but ineffective.

I thought this was the best we've played against England in years. We contained them defensively, and actually carried well versus them overall. We didn't come off second best physically at all, stopped their maul dead and held up well enough in the scrum.

We just don't play to our strengths at all. Not once did Lowe or Stander come in on a hard line off 1st or 2nd receiver on the gain line. I don't remember a single off load to a support runner coming at pace, despite their being repeated opportunities with Farrell making dominant carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

We weren’t. A few crucial players had ‘mares. Kelleher Ryan and Byrne. That was our downfall today

Agreed. Lovely lads tho.

I thought this was the best we've played against England in years. We contained them defensively, and actually carried well versus them overall. We didn't come off second best physically at all, stopped their maul dead and held up well enough in the scrum.

We just don't play to our strengths at all. Not once did Lowe or Stander come in on a hard line off 1st or 2nd receiver on the gain line. I don't remember a single off load to a support runner coming at pace, despite their being repeated opportunities with Farrell making dominant carries.

in years? god almighty. it wasn't and two if we think like that Irish rugby might as well pack up.

There were so many inconsistencies from high tackles to line outs. I thought England were borderline offside most of the time .
    Once upon a time a Ronan Ogara would pin teams back with accurate kicking to the corner . If that happened England would only have kicked the ball back to us . At least we would have played most of the rugby in their 22. But instead we tried to run straight at them only to have turnover after turnover and if that didn’t happen we would just go backwards . Eventually coughing up a try.
    For an intelligent game they seem to consistently miss opponents weaknesses .

Agreed. You make good points. The space behind the English defence was vast. Yet we only used that space with the try towards the end. We could and should have used much more when we were sat deeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Farrell out of his depth at this level....and I'm not talking about the guy who plays for England either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

in years? god almighty. it wasn't and two if we think like that Irish rugby might as well pack up.

We've been absolutely smashed physically the last 3 times we played them, giving up early scores. This was a game we could've won with better execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

love paul o'Connell and the channel 4 presenter wearing same colour coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Farrell seams a sound man - a great rugby player , and great defensive coach , but I said it when he got the job , he should never have got it - we will go backwards under him, and certainly not progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Clegg wrote: »
    Pure sh1te of a post. Andy Farrell has given debuts to to at least 6 players during his tenure as coach and his generally kept them as his starters. There are problems in this side, but willingness to give young blood a shot isn't one of them.

Ah stop with your dramatics......here you go young blood...ermmm go out there and do what your man next to you is doing......

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Farrell out of his depth at this level....and I'm not talking about the guy who plays for England either.

I thought he made some great breaks in the second half and looked like our best back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Porter is a beast though. Played the full 80 and never gave up. Thought Farrell played well with what possession he had.

AF probably needs to call in a Munster 2 to the squad at this stage.

thebaz wrote: »
    Farrell seams a sound man - a great rugby player , and great defensive coach , but I said it when he got the job , he should never have got it - we will go backwards under him, and certainly not progress.

completely agreed. japan was on him as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

gifted wrote: »
    Ah stop with your dramatics......here you go young blood...ermmm go out there and do what your man next to you is doing......

The post I was replying to stated clearly that we don't give new players a chance. Four of the players starting today are lads who we're given debuts to in the last few months.

We've been absolutely smashed physically the last 3 times we played them, giving up early scores. This was a game we could've won with better execution.

and yeah, who was a coach involved in a lot of that? this was a continuation of the same crap. you are kidding yourself if you think it wasn't. also you sound like you belong in the 90's...ah sure its the best we can do. **** that. there's a huge discrepancy now between some of the bluster on the Leinster thread and the complete denial here. as if the two are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I'm sorry but I have to disagree on Ryan. One big carry and tackles aside he was very poor. His calling of the lineout was rubbish. Kelleher clearly struggles to throw the ball in straight so why not call to 2 and make life easy on him. Didn't see him speak to Gauzere once with regard to English tackling High and the crap in the rucks or repeated infringements. On top of that the penalties he gave away were idiotic in the extreme, the worst being the second time he went off his feet right in front of the ref having been already called on it.

The pack were poor today but Ryan has been poor since we returned from lockdown. He's a physical freak but if he has hopes for the Lions his form will need a big improvement. He has a long way to go in terms of his captaincy so you'd excuse him that but his general play and his set piece work in particular leave a lot to be desired as of late.

The post I was replying to stated clearly that we don't give new players a chance. Four of the players starting today are lads who we're given debuts to in the last few months.

Can you quote that post please?

Can you quote that post please?

If you have problems with something posted it's up to you to actually bring it up.

If you have problems with something posted it's up to you to actually bring it up.

Oh god...you're one of those people aren't you?...... keyboard warrior......goes to bed at night thinking thst you are the smartest funniest guy on the internet.......and everyone wants to be just as knowledgeable as you.....now where's the ignore button?

Oh god...you're one of those people aren't you?...... keyboard warrior......goes to bed at night thinking thst you are the smartest funniest guy on the internet.......and everyone wants to be just as knowledgeable as you.....now where's the ignore button?

You've an issue with what I posted. But rather than bringing up the content you make a meta reply trying to question the person making it.

So essentially you don't have a point to raise but just want to have a go at someone. Nice one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement