Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google doorbell (Warning: basic question!)

• 21-11-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all

Want to get one of these installed. Currently reduced via Google for €194.76

However I see it available from Screwfix for €169.99

Just checking the Screwfix one isn't an older generation? Apologises I'm quite clueless as to this kind of stuff

Also (Dublin based) what's a reasonable quotation for installation? I have a quote for €150 which I thought sounded expensive. Energia does it for €90 but the Doorbell itself costs €279 so no saving overall

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

CarProblem wrote: »
    Hi all

Want to get one of these installed. Currently reduced via Google for €194.76

However I see it available from Screwfix for €169.99

Just checking the Screwfix one isn't an older generation? Apologises I'm quite clueless as to this kind of stuff

Also (Dublin based) what's a reasonable quotation for installation? I have a quote for €150 which I thought sounded expensive. Energia does it for €90 but the Doorbell itself costs €279 so no saving overall

Thanks

They are the same thing so save the money, Google do a price match so get onto them if you're interested.

The install is handy enough once you have the right transformer, take out the old door bell, put in the new 1,put in the yoke into the bell and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Clareman wrote: »
    They are the same thing so save the money, Google do a price match so get onto them if you're interested.

The install is handy enough once you have the right transformer, take out the old door bell, put in the new 1,put in the yoke into the bell and you're done.

The right transformer is the tricky bit. Traditional bell is usually 8v.
    Nest is 24v, though it seems to work ok on 16 or 12, but some people report wifi drops if not using 24v transformer.
    So, you may need an electrician to install transformer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mad to think I got a brand new one off eBay in June for 155gbp. Makes you think some sales are bit bogus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Be prepared to wait if buying off screwfix, unless you do click and collect of course!

There delivery times are an absolute joke, 3/4 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

They are currently €177 in argos, might be a better option than waiting for screw fix to deliver by post if one isn't handy to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

£149 on UK google store
    So with Parcel Wizard would work out about €170

Ready to purchase but trying to figure out what additional stuff I need such as chime, transformer cable etc

Getting a new front door soon so will get it installed then

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CarProblem

They are currently €177 in argos, might be a better option than waiting for screw fix to deliver by post if one isn't handy to you.

ScrewFix posted mine this morning

Is it usually the dispatch or delivery after dispatch that takes so long? Parcel Force delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

When did you order it if you don't mind me asking?

I've ordered just now, it says "within 2 to 3 working days" for delivery, so I'm hoping to have it by Thursday, and possibly book an installation this Friday!

Might be being a bit optimistic there?

I've an 8 volt transformer, so will be getting that upgraded to a 24 volt one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Is it usually the dispatch or delivery after dispatch that takes so long? Parcel Force delivering

Gets dispatched within a day, delivered within 3 weeks

BigAl81 wrote: »
    When did you order it if you don't mind me asking?

Ordered at the weekend, Saturday night
    Gets dispatched within a day, delivered within 3 weeks

Ah Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

towger wrote: »
    The right transformer is the tricky bit. Traditional bell is usually 8v.
    Nest is 24v, though it seems to work ok on 16 or 12, but some people report wifi drops if not using 24v transformer.
    So, you may need an electrician to install transformer..

I was just looking at buying one as well, and trying to figure out the transformer question. Do I buy a transformer myself, or ask an electrician to provide one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thoie wrote: »
    I was just looking at buying one as well, and trying to figure out the transformer question. Do I buy a transformer myself, or ask an electrician to provide one?

If you provide it yourself the electrician will either say A-that's great I'll throw it in there for you or B- that's ****e I won't stand over that I'll only install 1 I source myself and you'll be stuck with the 1 you bought. Personally, I'd ask the electrician in advance if you'll get it and share the link to the 1 in Screwfix, that way yerman will know that you know the price of them so won't try it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭thebackbar

i want to be sure i know what im asking my electrician to do, will he need to install the Chime Connector too ? is it needed in most new houses ?

If you provide it yourself the electrician will either say A-that's great I'll throw it in there for you or B- that's ****e I won't stand over that I'll only install 1 I source myself and you'll be stuck with the 1 you bought. Personally, I'd ask the electrician in advance if you'll get it and share the link to the 1 in Screwfix, that way yerman will know that you know the price of them so won't try it on.

This looks OK to me. Is there a reason I'd need an electrician (legal requirement?), instead of just doing it myself?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-8-24v-8va-bell-transformer-module/8707p

This looks OK to me. Is there a reason I'd need an electrician (legal requirement?), instead of just doing it myself?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-8-24v-8va-bell-transformer-module/8707p

You've to change a part of the fuse box, if you're ok with doing that belt away, I think any work that's carried out in a house has to be by a certified installer for insurance purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

I picked up one in argos. I'd seen another suggestion to just put a plug on the transformer? I don't have a wired chime or transformer anymore but the doorbell wiring going back to where the chime/8V transformer used to be is still in the attic. I have a socket near it the attic so would be easy connect up. Thinking it's better on a fused plug than wiring into the socket? I'll put the 24v tranformer in a double DIN enclosure like this.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-ese2-ip40-2-module-unpopulated-din-enclosure/32311

Wiring is straight forward. There is 24V plug in ones on amazon but they are all no name chinese makes. Would sooner a wired GARO DIN rail one I think.
    dfjTJK0Q5Mb4AerSqbIV3y4rM3hWdaLTf-ROWm7cyQvs67mVig3qIXZODaWaAcs-jAfeKpKwO-1fNfFkZpiXy6TF00N2-QIaD94EKTHxuPzAteiJJ5joObV0RUa8pcVN-mdsJWDl

I'll probably get it moved to fuse board at some point when I've an electrician around. Location of current door bell wiring doesn't give the widest view either as the front door is recessed in a porch. Might run new wiring to move it to the outside wall though I'm thinking of getting a nest Outdoor Cam now which would negate needing to do this.

You've to change a part of the fuse box, if you're ok with doing that belt away, I think any work that's carried out in a house has to be by a certified installer for insurance purposes.

That's the rock I'd perish on :) I'm OK with doing the work myself, but I'm not a certified installer, or a certified anything. Electrician it is, so, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

That's the rock I'd perish on :) I'm OK with doing the work myself, but I'm not a certified installer, or a certified anything. Electrician it is, so, thanks.

How long have you been in your house for? Might have been there when you moved in? I'm not aware of that requirement in any case.

There are wireless doorbells available which might cut down your hassle and cost significantly, EufyCam gets good reviews.

I'm not an insurance or a legal expert by any means and I would recommend in the event of any doubt to ask an expert but I would imagine that the chance of changing an RCB in an fuse box resulting in an insurance issue would be slim, after all if there was a major issue there would be a restriction in selling the devices to Joe Public

https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/completion-certificates/

I'm not an insurance or a legal expert by any means and I would recommend in the event of any doubt to ask an expert but I would imagine that the chance of changing an RCB in an fuse box resulting in an insurance issue would be slim, after all if there was a major issue there would be a restriction in selling the devices to Joe Public

https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/completion-certificates/

I'm an eejit, and never actually checked the existing transformer, assuming it wouldn't be "right". I've already got an 8-->12-->24. Will need to turn off all power to see how it's hooked up, so will wait for full daylight when I don't need to use a torch to see by, but I should be fine. Now to dig out the multimeter.

• Advertisement

Delivered today - courier simply threw it over my side gate :rolleyes:

Advertisement