Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best delivery from Ireland to Australia

Options
  • 21-11-2020 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm sending a Christmas parcel to family in Melbourne. I usually use an post.

I'm anticipating some delays this year with the pandemic and the Brexit thing and the Heathrow transit hub.

If I send with an post, this week will it get to Australia on time? If I use the an post courier option, would it speed it up a bit?

Are there any other couriers from Ireland to Australia.

I checked DHL but it looks like they might not be sending to Australia. Unless if there's something I'm missing.

I got quoted a scandalous price with ups. Over 200 euro for shipping. My maximum budget is 120 for delivery.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm anticipating some delays this year with the pandemic and the Brexit thing and the Heathrow transit hub.

If I send with an post, this week will it get to Australia on time? If I use the an post courier option, would it speed it up a bit?

I checked DHL but it looks like they might not be sending to Australia. Unless if there's something I'm missing.

I got quoted a scandalous price with ups. Over 200 euro for shipping. My maximum budget is 120 for delivery.

Check the An Post website for the most up to date information on shipping to Australia. All the courier websites should give you rates to Australia, and any limitations. You need to know the dimensions of the package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BurgundyRose

whiterebel wrote: »
    Check the An Post website for the most up to date information on shipping to Australia. All the courier websites should give you rates to Australia, and any limitations. You need to know the dimensions of the package.

I will check the an post website.

I was browsing around on courier sites. It looks like dpd are only doing deliveries within the eu/Europe.

On the DHL website, I play around looking for a quote, but I put in my details but the process doesn't come to an end. I tried several different browsers now but it's the same. It looks to me as if they are not shipping to Australia. I would prefer DHL if at all possible.

There's parcel connect or parcel force but I think its connected with fastway. I'm not using them because I hate fast way.

I got a quote from ups for nearly 240 euro. That is too much.

I would like my parcel to get to Australia on time for Christmas. Last year's parcel was held up because of the bushfires. I don't want a Christmas no show of parcel 2 years in a row.

I can send a parcel this week. If I send it with an post courier service, would it get there on time? I know its more expensive but its not a huge deal more expensive than registered post abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Have you tried parceltogo.com/ie they will do a search of several couriers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Australia is more or less limited to UPS, Fedex, TNT, DHL and An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

What's the size, weight and value of the parcel?

I can try and check DHL for you then but I would be surprised if they are cheaper than UPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Worth putting the size of the parcel and weight here, people can shop around for you. I'd be glad to try find you a deal.

Size of parcel:
    L 48cm
    W 29cm
    H 17cm

Weight 4kg

I browsed around on the various courier sites. I'm getting some expensive quotes, like anything from 240 euro to 400 euro. That's very expensive.

I go through all the steps on the DHL website to get a quote and this is the screen I get. I just come to a dead end there.

Would the an post courier service be any good?

I'm anticipating a delay in the London Heathrow transit hub. I would like my package to get to them this year. The bushfire delayed last year's parcel. I don't want this one to be late again.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Size of parcel:
    L 48cm
    W 29cm
    H 17cm

Weight 4kg

I browsed around on the various courier sites. I'm getting some expensive quotes, like anything from 240 euro to 400 euro. That's very expensive.

I go through all the steps on the DHL website to get a quote and this is the screen I get. I just come to a dead end there.

I checked UPS there. I don't know where you're getting over €200 from. I put the value down as €50 and it was €47 for Expedited and €77 for express. Even if I increased the value to €200 it was €57 and €87.

Screenshot-2020-11-21-205937.png

Screenshot-2020-11-21-210014.png

The DHL quote function doesn't work on mobile devices. I looked it up there for you. It's €116.

Screenshot-2020-11-21-210547.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

FedEx Express is €94 on Parcel2Go.
    UPS Express is same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Would it be possible to avoid posting it from Ireland by purchasing the item(s) on an Australian website?

aido79 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to avoid posting it from Ireland by purchasing the item(s) on an Australian website?

Too late for this option. All the purchases have been made and I'm putting the parcel together this weekend.

I don't know where I was going wrong earlier with the quotes I was getting back. I was getting quotes going into hundreds.

Thanks for all the replies with lower quotes. I played around again on the ups site and I took out the laptop for a DHL quote. I'm getting some fmgood prices and shipping timeframe.

Would sending by courier be the best option for a speedy delivery before Christmas?

I have an accurate weighing method and a measuring tape. I'm confident with my dimensions and weight. I just need to add cards.

If I go ahead and buy one of these shipping methods, would I need a printer to print anything from them? Would I need to print a sticker for the parcel or a page? My printer is down and that might slow me down a little bit. I will be able to get access to a printer but it will be later in the week.

aido79 wrote: »

I bought from Australian sites for birthdays this year and I much prefer online shopping from Irish sites for choice.

Do you know what happened with the scandalous prices or quotes I was getting.

I was putting in rough dimensions of 50 cm × 40cm × 30cm until I stopped being lazy and decided to take proper measurements.

If I go ahead and buy one of these shipping methods, would I need a printer to print anything from them? Would I need to print a sticker for the parcel or a page? My printer is down and that might slow me down a little bit. I will be able to get access to a printer but it will be later in the week.

Yes you'd need a printer. You can just print on regular A4 printer paper and stick it on the parcel with sellotape. That's what I do for UPS labels.
    Do you know what happened with the scandalous prices or quotes I was getting.

I was putting in rough dimensions of 50 cm × 40cm × 30cm until I stopped being lazy and decided to take proper measurements.

I don't know I'm afraid. I often use rough dimensions/weights just to check prices and I've never seen anything like that.

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes you'd need a printer. You can just print on regular A4 printer paper and stick it on the parcel with sellotape. That's what I do for UPS labels.

I don't know I'm afraid. I often use rough dimensions/weights just to check prices and I've never seen anything like that.

I will check the printer in work on Monday and see if it's compatible with my phone and pdf documents in my phone.

Failing that, I will screenshot a page, go to the chemist and print it as a photograph. The library is closed.

Advertisement