Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful moderating yet again

Options
  • 22-11-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭

Thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115374110

I posted the above thread in the vegan forum this evening, asking people on their opinion on "what would happen to farm animals if the world went completely vegan".

There was one user whose answers contributed absolutely nothing to this discussion, his goal seemingly to make a joke out of the thread. I reported these two posts (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115375328&postcount=2 and https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115375766&postcount=6).

The mod replied with the following: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115375905&postcount=9

In what possible way can the 2 posts above be considered as engaging in a discussion of the question I asked? The first saying "the world won't go vegan tomorrow", and then "if you love animals why pay people to kill them". How is that answering what would happen to farm animals if we were to all go vegan? The first posts seems to me nothing more than a mockery and the second seems like it's attacking me for liking animals and yet being a meat-eater? The first post I can really just forget about, but the second seems like a personal attack. How does it engage with my topic any in way? As I said in my op, I have never seen this asked or addressed even once in all the media articles, stories, etc I've read about veganism and so on. Hence why I wanted to get vegans' opinions on it.

And the mod replies saying I'm not "getting the responses I want", as though I'm a child throwing a tantrum?? How are the above 2 posts (or really just the 2nd one) in anyway answering what would happen to farm animals if the world went vegan? That is the only question I posed, the only purpose of why I made this thread. I certainly didn't expect the initial response it got. Thankfully others have responded, actually engaging in the topic.

I PM'd the mod in question as per procedure and was met with an absolutely condescending message in return. The standard of moderating on this site has gone to the absolute pits, and this moderator for one is an absolute disgrace.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't see a single issue with anything you're complaining about.

You're posting in a forum for Vegetarians and Vegans. Are you anticipating that this is going to be a forum to berate Vegetarians and Vegans or a forum where vegetarianism and veganism are put to the fore?

Have a read of the new charter, it's quite clear on this.

I take exception to you lambasting the moderation when it is clearly as fair and as even handed as it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I don't see a single issue with anything you're complaining about.

You're posting in a forum for Vegetarians and Vegans. Are you anticipating that this is going to be a forum to berate Vegetarians and Vegans or a forum where vegetarianism and veganism are put to the fore?

Have a read of the new charter, it's quite clear on this.

I take exception to you lambasting the moderation when it is clearly as fair and as even handed as it can be.

Where have I ever said anything even remotely berating vegans or vegetarians? I simply wanted to get people's opinions on what happens to farm animals if the whole world were to go vegan. I think it is only a matter of time before we actually do go vegan, but I couldn't begin to think what actually happens to all those animals we farm. I wanted to get opinions from vegans on it particularly. What's so wrong about that? How is that in any way berating to anyone of a vegan/vegetarian diet?

And for the record I DID read the charter before posting the thread, and fail to see how anything I said goes against any of the rules in that charter.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If you don't like the forum, don't post there. Simple as that.

If I see an issue with moderation I'll be the first to call it out.

If you don't like the forum, don't post there. Simple as that.

If I see an issue with moderation I'll be the first to call it out.

No, it's not as simple as that. Because I have no issue with the forum, or any forum for that matter. How has anything I said got to do with having an issue with vegans/vegetarians or by extension that forum? My issue is with one person failing to engage in the actual topic of my thread and for what I can only assume is attacking me for saying I love animals and yet I eat, and then being basically accused by its moderator of "not liking the responses because they weren't as I expected". Well they were right in a way, cos I was expecting a serious discussion, and the first person who responded tries to derail it by claiming I don't love animals because I eat meat? How has that got anything to do with the thread I made? It's not about discussing eating meat or not eating meat, it's about future of farm animals if we all went vegan.

You told me to read the charter, which I had already done before hand. Please tell me what part of that charter I've supposedly not adhered to? Cos I'm drawing a blank.

You asked me "did I expect anticipating that this is going to be a forum to berate Vegetarians and Vegans or a forum where vegetarianism and veganism are put to the fore"? Please highlight exactly where I attacked vegans/vegetarians, mocked them, or said anything negative against them in any way whatsoever?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From what I can see you are complaining about 2 posts in a thread by one poster. The thread has been allowed to continue, and the mod made it clear that you were already getting engagement - perhaps not as much as you would have liked, but the mod's warning is post #9 in the thread. You started this thread in Help Desk complaining when the thread was less than 4 hours old and only 14 posts were visible (with some deleted by mods, as stated in teh mod warning)

There are now 89 posts in the thread and I am really struggling to understand what the issue is to warrant this thread

Beasty wrote: »
    From what I can see you are complaining about 2 posts in a thread by one poster. The thread has been allowed to continue, and the mod made it clear that you were already getting engagement - perhaps not as much as you would have liked, but the mod's warning is post #9 in the thread. You started this thread in Help Desk complaining when the thread was less than 4 hours old and only 14 posts were visible (with some deleted by mods, as stated in teh mod warning)

There are now 89 posts in the thread and I am really struggling to understand what the issue is to warrant this thread

Unbelievable.. as ever all ye care about is caring about your own. Close this, I'm done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement