Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband drops when using landline

• 22-11-2020 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all,

got an Amazon eero mesh setup a month ago or so and all is great with it but for one thing - when somebody uses the landline (incoming or outgoing) for a call the broadband drops! We hardly ever use the landline so not much of an issue but a pain when it happens. Never used to happen before I got the eero and just had the Eir F1000 box.

Wiring setup is:
    2 ports on the wall:
    1) phone line direct to the phone (no change from previous setup)
    2) internet line to F1000 box and then Ethernet to the eero

The phone is iDect - one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/iDect-Cordless-Answer-Machine-Blocker/dp/B01D0PIXG4

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

phelimb wrote: »
    Hi all,

got an Amazon eero mesh setup a month ago or so and all is great with it but for one thing - when somebody uses the landline (incoming or outgoing) for a call the broadband drops! We hardly ever use the landline so not much of an issue but a pain when it happens. Never used to happen before I got the eero and just had the Eir F1000 box.

Wiring setup is:
    2 ports on the wall:
    1) phone line direct to the phone (no change from previous setup)
    2) internet line to F1000 box and then Ethernet to the eero

The phone is iDect - one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/iDect-Cordless-Answer-Machine-Blocker/dp/B01D0PIXG4

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

Likely your line isn't split from a master socket and backfeeding dial tone to the other socket
    It's probably daisy chained to both sockets.

Line should work as follows.
    Incoming line from outside connects to internal wiring going to master socket (that's the socket that is supposed to have dial tone and broadband).
    Then on the second pair of same cable (they're usually 4 wires in a cable,two makes a line usually blue/white and blue pair 1 and orange/white and orange pair 2 if older cable could be different colours the colour doesn't matter as long as you match opposite end but generally a pair can be identified as such if it's twisted around its counterpart) you attach to the faceplate of the phone socket using the connector block where L1 and L2 is marked this feeds dialtone only back up the same cable but without the broadband (the broadband is left correctly at the master socket) then you wire other socket up to second pair this makes it go as follows.
    Line carrying broadband and dialtone both going up one pair in a 2 pair cable to master socket. Then pair one gets connected to L1 and L2 on socket behind M3 screws. Dialtone and broadband go to master socket now. Then second pair goes to front faceplate on L1 and L2 connector block (not the same as the primary line behind machine screws) this feeds only dialtone without broadband back up cable to other socket.
    Now only broadband port on master socket gives broadband and dialtone will not affect broadband on any points when phone plugged in.
    If your running with the old cream rectangle phone sockets you need a new socket for this to work but can get by just plugging in ADSL filters on both points.
    The idea is the broadband is coming across multiple channels on high frequency that is not audible. When an unfiltered socket has a phone in it and it gets picked up the phone effectively breaks the circuit the circuit now runs through the handset as the path of least resistance effectively causing a short through the phone which means it no longer goes through the modem.
    When there filter is applied it allows the audible frequencies and high frequencies to go to the modem unfiltered but when the phone is picked up only the audible portion of the data short through the handset and the high frequencies remain going to the modem.
    Ask any eir or kn lad for a phone socket but if you feel that is a bit technical you can ask if they have ADSL filters and plug one in for each socket. (They look like a 100mm of telephone cable connected to a small block of plastic and have two connection points on the end showing a screen glyph and a telephone handset glyph).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Sounds like you're not plugging into the master socket or your line is split before the master socket

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

Thanks for the details babi-hrse, really appreciate that - thought I knew something about comms but I know more now :)

So, I though the filtering would be done behind the scenes but from what you and Gooey are saying that possibly my wiring is a bit messed up. I have the regular looking Eir socket/box on the wall - image attached. Will take that off when I have time and there's nobody home looking for internet....

Do I need a filter on both sockets?
    Something like these: https://woodcomm.ie/catalogue/product/dsl-filter/

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That socket has a filter built in.

1) Double check that theyre in the right way around. They can work (at a reduced rate) backwards.
    2) Do you have an extensions? Like an old phone screwed to the wall at the back door etc? That'd be prime culprit for not being tapped off the NTU (That socket).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

If you are plugging your router directly to the left connection and your phone to the right you should be ok.

The socket however looks very old and may need to be replaced. At a previous house, some damp was coming from outside into the rear of this socket and it was damaged but when replaced all worked ok again. Open it open and see if the components look anyways corroded or damaged. If they are EIR will replace for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement