Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat CC versus Jaguar XF

Options
  • 22-11-2020 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Finished college, saved up and now it's finally time to drop the ol' reliable student run-around for something a bit nicer.

I enjoy cars but until recently I just didn't have the budget to start really looking for a new one. Current budget is around 15k - thanks credit union, you the real MVP - but I could potentially bump it to 18 if it is really worth it.

I've been doing my homework and have been browsing DoneDeal daily (it's a bit like when I bought my first car and I spent every living moment on the site). Anyway, I've narrowed it down to either a Passat CC (GT or not doesn't really matter to me) or a Jaguar XF.

I was wondering what people here think about which would be the better option car to buy? I don't plan on upgrading for 3-5 years after this if I can. In terms of style I really like them both. Just wondering if there are any major issues with either in terms of part availability and/or reliability?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Passat vs Jag. How are you even in a pickle on this? Jag all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How did you arrive at these two as they are far apart from each other in many aspects other than used prices? Also have you thought about running costs of both? The running costs and maintenance of a Jaguar are a good bit higher than that of a Passat CC. Despite both costing similar money second hand the XF is still a 50k or 60k car to fix when something goes wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Whocare

If you're getting cc GT is one to get .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

bazz26 wrote: »
    How did you arrive at these two as they are far apart from each other in many aspects other than used prices? Also have you thought about running costs of both? The running costs and maintenance of a Jaguar are a good bit higher than that of a Passat CC. Despite both costing similar money second hand the XF is still a 50k or 60k car to fix when something goes wrong with it.

VW aren't that cheap to maintain. They're hard on shock tops, shocks, springs, brakes and exhaust and abs sensors. I doubt the running cost will be much different between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Don't you have a student loan to pay? And do you have a job? Get your priorities straight I am giving you a fatherly advice.

Mind your own business

Concentrate on mpg and tyres or whatever fixates you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bazz26 wrote: »

Isn't the Jag a Mondeo underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

McCrack wrote: »
    Mind your own business

Concentrate on mpg and tyres or whatever fixates you

Em no, he post a question here and I answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Del2005 wrote: »

Thought it was the xtype ,

Xf ground up new car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stoolbend wrote: »
    VW aren't that cheap to maintain. They're hard on shock tops, shocks, springs, brakes and exhaust and abs sensors. I doubt the running cost will be much different between them.

I owned a Passat CC at one point so well aware of the what they cost to maintain. I've owned premium brands over the last number of years too and I can tell that they might be bought for Passat CC money a few years down the road but they cost alot more to maintain. Have you priced Jaguar parts, they certainly ain't cheap and they are still a 60k car to fix and maintain. You need a nice bit of cash put aside for unexpected bills. Because when they do go wrong it's usually not cheap to put them right.
    Del2005 wrote: »

The XF has nothing to do with the Ford Mondeo, your thinking of the smaller X-Type.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

There are plenty of jaguar forums with helpful members that will steer in the right direction regarding which engine and age are the most reliable etc. Boards doesn't have the knowledge that enthusiast forums would have. You'll get an idea how reliable they are by looking through the problem sections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Someone who went on and ON AND ON about his feckin Fiesta has no place on this thread! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭chalky_ie

Are you 40? What sort of college aged person comes into a bit of money after entering the real world, and comes up with a list of cars comprised of 2 of the biggest aul lad mobiles on the planet haha, surely you'd want something a bit more fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭User1998

Passat CC is for hairdressers not oul lads lol

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Was looking at the CC myself but thought that the spec on an A4 was better - certainly inside a much nicer car. Granted the CC has better looks but you'll be on the inside looking out.

Just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KevC20

User1998 wrote: »
    Passat CC is for hairdressers not oul lads lol

Stay in your boy racer **** box cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭User1998

it was a joke, I’ve owned 3 of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Was looking at the CC myself but thought that the spec on an A4 was better - certainly inside a much nicer car. Granted the CC has better looks but you'll be on the inside looking out.

Just my thoughts.

This. I was tossing up between a CC and a Honda Accord a few years back and although the CC was a better looking car, the inside of the Accord was a much nicer place to be, and that was the crux of it for me. Nothing wrong with the CC's interior all the same, just a personal preference thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No you didn't. You responded. A response isn't necessarily an answer.

But you knew that.

Advertisement