Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube carbon bikes specifically attain gtc sl

Options
  • 22-11-2020 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for opinions on cubes carbon bikes please. I've read some reviews in where their carbon frames and paint don't hold up too well after some time.

Has anyone this or a different experience with their cubes. Has anyone an attain gtc sl and if so, what's it like please?

I'm thinking about getting rid of the defy advanced 2 2020 but I'm worried I might be downgrading. It's slightly too big for me and i was really impressed by the attain in the shop the other day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Have 2 cubes - 1 on the turbo and one for the winter bike which is the attain gtc disc and never has any issues with cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have 2 also

0ne is carbon attain as per OP
    Grand bike.
    2 years old

Hadn't faded
    But the black has been quiet matt since day 1.
    I've carbon kayaks and they seem to come with a glossier gel coat.

If you're near drogheda you can have a look.
    PM for more photos

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Have 2 also

0ne is carbon attain as per OP
    Grand bike.
    2 years old

Hadn't faded
    But the black has been quiet matt since day 1.
    I've carbon kayaks and they seem to come with a glossier gel coat.

If you're near drogheda you can have a look.
    PM for more photos

Very nice and thank you.

jamesd wrote: »
    Have 2 cubes - 1 on the turbo and one for the winter bike which is the attain gtc disc and never has any issues with cube.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a Cube Attain alloy bike, great bike, very comfortable and no issues with paint or anything else for that matter. I’d highly recommend Cube.

• Advertisement

I have a Cube Attain alloy bike, great bike, very comfortable and no issues with paint or anything else for that matter. I’d highly recommend Cube.

I've had an alloy cube nuroad and it was a stunning bike. I've no knowledge about the carbon bikes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've had two alu Cube bikes too and loved them. A Peleton which was a bit too big for me, but the Attain is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden. It stays in my parents house so almost never used in these times. The frame did scratch when I had it up against a stop sign pole trying in vain to inflate a tire with a crap handpump following a puncture but in hindsight that was my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I have the 2019 Attain GTC SL disc
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonngrey-2019/

Very comfortable bike with plenty of scope for wider tyres. I haven't noticed any problems with the paint, except where I scratched it, and that was my fault similar to cantgetnosleep.

Again, if you're Dublin based, you're welcome to give it a spin.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I have the 2019 Attain GTC SL disc
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonngrey-2019/

Very comfortable bike with plenty of scope for wider tyres. I haven't noticed any problems with the paint, except where I scratched it, and that was my fault similar to cantgetnosleep.

Again, if you're Dublin based, you're welcome to give it a spin.

Thanks for that. Would you reckon you'd get 32s on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I have a 2016 Cube Attain GTC Race which I bought second hand in 2018 with only 600km done. It has Ultegra 6800 and is a great bike. I have 14,000km done and the paint is perfect.
    I also have a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1 which came with 10 speed Ultegra and I upgraded with 11 speed R8000 Ultegra in 2018. I have 48,000km done on this bike with 12,500km on the new Groupset.
    I like both bikes but the Giant is my Summer bike as it is a little lighter and now has the newer Groupset. The Cube is a great backup / winter bike.

• Advertisement

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Would you reckon you'd get 32s on it?

I run 28's on it, and I imagine another 4mm would be no problem, but let me actually look at the bike and get back to you tomorrow, before I answer with certainty.

The front wheel would have no problem with 32 tyres. On the rear I have 28's and can put a classic skinny Cross pen between the tyre and the frame on both sides, so I would have to imagine they could deal with 32's.
    Again, you're welcome to have a spin.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    The front wheel would have no problem with 32 tyres. On the rear I have 28's and can put a classic skinny Cross pen between the tyre and the frame on both sides, so I would have to imagine they could deal with 32's.
    Again, you're welcome to have a spin.

Thanks for that. The main issue with my defy is the rear hub. It's a cracker of a bike and once I get it sorted, it will be perfect so Im having doubts now as I know ill regret selling it. I might even invest in a decent set of wheels with a new rear hub first and see how it goes. Thanks for the offer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have an Alu Cross Race Pro, such a great bike I am essentially buying a 2nd one with my B2W but Carbon. Yet to meet anyone who bought a cube who hasn't been happy with it but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Long time since I heard a bad word about Cube. Cross race is a particularly nice frame - well wear with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My Cube Attain was so nice it was stolen! ... fortunately, I got it back with hardly a scratch on it. A great bike which I used in last years Etape. A very comfortable endurance bike. No complaints from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I have 32s on a Cube Attain GTC Pro Carbon Disk from around 2015. It's a great bike

Im in the process of buying a set of hunt 33 aero carbon disc wheelset. They will make the defy lighter and they come with a new rear hub so hopefully that will sort the bike out once and for all.

The shop said the attains gtc carbons are sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Im in the process of buying a set of hunt 33 aero carbon disc wheelset. They will make the defy lighter and they come with a new rear hub so hopefully that will sort the bike out once and for all.

The shop said the attains gtc carbons are sold out.

What happened with rear hub? What mileage is on wheelset?

Lots of stock wheels are dirt; bike manufacturers will continue to do it while they are left by owners(assuming you didn't get degreaser in there or something like that)

What happened with rear hub? What mileage is on wheelset?

Lots of stock wheels are dirt; bike manufacturers will continue to do it while they are left by owners(assuming you didn't get degreaser in there or something like that)

The rear hub is getting stuck when freewheeling and then making a banging metal sound intermittently. It could be my fault as I was washing the bike with fairy liquid.

But she's away on holidays so I said I'll buy wheels now. I'm going to get battered when she gets back. Really impressed with the hunts, very strong wheel yet light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The rear hub is getting stuck when freewheeling and then making a banging metal sound intermittently. It could be my fault as I was washing the bike with fairy liquid.

But she's away on holidays so I said I'll buy wheels now. I'm going to get battered when she gets back. Really impressed with the hunts, very strong wheel yet light.

There are plenty of good aluminium wheelsets for a lot cheaper. That would sort your hub issue and arguably you could get a cheaper alloy wheelsets with a better hub just cheaper rims.
    Altough i cant deny the hunts your eyeing would be a nice upgrade.

Tony04 wrote: »
    There are plenty of good aluminium wheelsets for a lot cheaper. That would sort your hub issue and arguably you could get a cheaper alloy wheelsets with a better hub just cheaper rims.
    Altough i cant deny the hunts your eyeing would be a nice upgrade.

They are for my 40th birthday so I don't mind splashing out.
    www.huntbikewheels.com › products
    Web results
    HUNT 33 Carbon Aero Disc Wheelset – Hunt Bike Wheels

Looking around the shop today also made me appreciate the defy that little bit more also. Its a stunning looking bike with a great frame.
    I'm going to get a shorter stem to get it the right size. I've a disc gone in my back so it's difficult getting right down into it so a shorter stem should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

They are for my 40th birthday so I don't mind splashing out.
    www.huntbikewheels.com › products
    Web results
    HUNT 33 Carbon Aero Disc Wheelset – Hunt Bike Wheels
    nice wheels, are you getting tyres and sealant fitted? Hunt say they will do this for you. 28 quid to fit schwalbe pro one 28mm. 79 quid for the pair of tires.

who_ru wrote: »
    nice wheels, are you getting tyres and sealant fitted? Hunt say they will do this for you. 28 quid to fit schwalbe pro one 28mm. 79 quid for the pair of tires.

The shop are changing over everything for me. I currently have gp 4 seasons 32s clinchers on it that are nearly brand new. Cant stand tubeless. Had them on it before and noticed no difference whatsoever so when I got a puncture that didn't seal, I stuck tubes in and left them until I changed tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

. I've a disc gone in my back so it's difficult getting right down into it so a shorter stem should help.

If thats the case getting a riser stem (17°) might also help, as theres no need to put yourself under any strain.

A popular little upgrade is the kalloy uno stem, pretty light cheap and good quality, although i think you can only get them on aliexpress

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

I've had a Cube Peleton Pro since 2014 and love(d) it but as I have another crack at the BTW scheme I'm waiting on a 58” frame Attain GTC SL in Black/Grey to be delivered to my LBS and the big upgrades are disc brakes, higher quality components and a carbon frame.

Waiting since September for delivery and still no sign. Seems the supply chain is a mess and it's pot luck when it'll come in :-(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

54and56 wrote: »
    Waiting since September for delivery and still no sign. Seems the supply chain is a mess and it's pot luck when it'll come in :-(

Talking to CSS who AFAIK are the main distributors for Cube here, this month and January are when the next main batches are arriving.

Got the set of hunts 33 aeros fitted today. They are lovely. You can feel the weight difference in the bike when you pick it up. They fly along really well. The best part though is that they make the bike way more comfortable.

• Advertisement

Tony04 wrote: »
    If thats the case getting a riser stem (17°) might also help, as theres no need to put yourself under any strain.

A popular little upgrade is the kalloy uno stem, pretty light cheap and good quality, although i think you can only get them on aliexpress

Thanks for that.

Advertisement