Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Department: New plan to end direct provision is unworkable

Options
  • 22-11-2020 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

While the concept to provide asylum seekers with their own housing within 3 months of arriving in Ireland was a head scratcher to many of us, finally we have officials coming out and actually telling us what we already know: "the new plan to end direct provision is unrealistic and unworkable".

According to the Sunday Business Post this morning (behind a paywall): the Department of Housing states that ‘untenable’ own-door proposal would drive up rents and lead to legal challenges. The department also stated that this new plan would result in greater levels of homelessness in Ireland and would exasperate rental inflation.

When they talk about homelessness in this context, it will not be asylum seekers being homeless, but Irish people will be made homeless in order to accommodate asylum seekers within the 3 month time frame. So with this new plan we will have a situation of African and Pakistani asylum seekers flying in from London and Paris after they fail in their asylum applications in those countries, and then provided with housing with 3 months of arriving at Dublin airport. One would have to wonder if Irish people who become homeless in the future could apply for asylum in Ireland in order to avail of this incomprehensible housing opportunity?

The Green Party's Roderic O' Gorman has already warned the country that this new Direct Provision plan will happen within the current government's lifetime, as it was a key commitment from the Green Party within their programme for government.

Fair play to the Department of Housing for actually coming out and stating what those living in the real world already knew; that the plan to provide asylum seekers with their own housing within 3 months of flying into Dublin airport is nonsensical. We can now only hope that common sense will prevail on the direct provision topic going forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thank christ somebody saw sense and wasnt just blinded by virtue signalling

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can't say i'm surprised that housing officials are coming out with this. While the plan to give asylum seekers their own gaff is nice on paper, it looks like not much thought went into it. Will be interesting to see how Roderic O' Gorman responds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

such a load of bollix

Asylum seekers!!!!

I'd allow for those granted asylum to join the queue with the natives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think the next step needs to be processing of asylum seekers much much faster. The DP service helps no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There are 7000 people in direct provision. How are they going to magic up homes for 7000 people and then claim that it hasn't bumped anybody down on a housing list? Even if a Secret utopian Town was found in Ireland with homes for 7000 people, people are still going to get bumped on the list.

It ain't going to be the folks in Direct Provision that will be in the homeless shelters, hotels. They are going straight to council housing. It's a fact. O'Gorman saying anything otherwise is complete folly.

There is a lot of apartment building going on right now with social housing specific being added on. It won't be long to work out where those apartments are going to go to.

It's as if the left wing parties are just teeing it up for the rise of true right wing politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In most countries the Green party have for some reason become the "open borders" party. I guess it's because environmental issues isn't a strong pull enough on the young radicals.
    Ireland, UK, Germany, Sweden - all the greens want unrestricted immigration.

In Ireland the Greens have 50,000 members. Each of them could easily take in and house immigrants in their own homes, with no support from the state.

Edit, it's only 5000 members, not 50,000

There are 7000 people in direct provision. How are they going to magic up homes for 7000 people and then claim that it hasn't bumped anybody down on a housing list? Even if a Secret utopian Town was found in Ireland with homes for 7000 people, people are still going to get bumped on the list.

It ain't going to be the folks in Direct Provision that will be in the homeless shelters, hotels. They are going straight to council housing. It's a fact. O'Gorman saying anything otherwise is complete folly.

There is a lot of apartment building going on right now with social housing specific being added on. It won't be long to work out where those apartments are going to go to.

It's as if the left wing parties are just teeing it up for the rise of true right wing politics.

Or right wing parties guaranteeing their mates make cash no matter what the outcome. Some of the main DP owners in Kerry are FG affiliated. If they start getting HAP payments then the property companies are delighted. Either way the tax payer gets bad value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

smurgen wrote: »
    I think the next step needs to be processing of asylum seekers much much faster. The DP service helps no one.

I'm not sure that's true, going by text messages published by village magazine, they seem like a big help to unscrupulous ****ers who look to profit from misery.

Faster process means more people denied asylum due to fewer appeals. This wont sit well with the green party and the lobby/NGO industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

biko wrote: »
    In most countries the Green party have for some reason become the "open borders" party. I guess it's because environmental issues isn't a strong pull enough on the young radicals.
    Ireland, UK, Germany, Sweden - all the greens want unrestricted immigration.

In Ireland the Greens have 50,000 members. Each of them could easily take in and house immigrants in their own homes, with no support from the state.

No. Its about 5,000

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Or right wing parties guaranteeing their mates make cash no matter what the outcome. Some of the main DP owners in Kerry are FG affiliated. If they start getting HAP payments then the property companies are delighted. Either way the tax payer gets bad value for money.

There's no right wing parties in Ireland. There's left and there's further left.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Saw a lovely story in the Galway Triubue this week. An Algerian in court for a range of offences. Says he has previous too.
    And hes 6 years in Direct Provision. So despite previous convictions they still didnt just fast track him on a plane out of here.

He'll probably be allowed to stay despite the convictions since hes here so long.

Complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No. Its about 5,000
    Sorry, yes 5000 of course.
    a membership that's surged from 400 to almost 5000 - twitter.com/greenparty_ie/status/1304441870295195648?s=20

Goes to show how a fringe party still gets to decide on national policies that affect millions of regular people.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    There's no right wing parties in Ireland. There's left and there's further left.

Ah yes all those left leaning countries through the globe are up to their eyes in SPV's and charitable trusts used to shift profits and reduce tax liabilities of mega corporations in that typical leftist way.

https://twitter.com/thecurrency/status/1330440885956472832?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If they are moved out of direct provision there are only two choices, joining the housing list or being put top of the list. As the commitment is to end DP you have to assume they will get housing priority.

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-crisis-waiting-list-4490533-Feb2019/

With the economy floored by the response to covid-19 i can only imagine that demand for social housing will increase. Current housing waiting lists are years and years long. Housing asylum seekers within 3 months would necessarily involve them jumping the queue ahead of people who have been waiting years, i'm not sure that could be morally justifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-crisis-waiting-list-4490533-Feb2019/

With the economy floored by the response to covid-19 i can only imagine that demand for social housing will increase. Current housing waiting lists are years and years long. Housing asylum seekers within 3 months would necessarily involve them jumping the queue ahead of people who have been waiting years, i'm not sure that could be morally justifiable.

That has already and is already happened around the country.
    Complain about it? Labelled a racist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

What right wing parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Ah yes all those left leaning countries through the globe are up to their eyes in SPV's and charitable trusts used to shift profits and reduce tax liabilities of mega corporations in that typical leftist way.

https://twitter.com/thecurrency/status/1330440885956472832?s=19

The article is paywalled. What do they mean by "complex accounting" exactly?

ElJeffe wrote: »
    What right wing parties?

Fine Gael are in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Off to specsavers it is with you so

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

biko wrote: »
    Sorry, yes 5000 of course.

Also add not every asylum seeker are in dp we could have similar numbers who currently are not in dp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ia there any thread where you don't try shoehorn FG into to have a rant about?

Centre Left =/= Right Wing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

There's a much quicker way to end Direct Provision and it could be implemented tomorrow if we had the balls: Any waster that shows up without their documents in order or where Ireland could not possibly be the first safe country they landed in, straight out the fcukin door with them. No room for free-loaders, lifetime dolers , criminals and rapists here.

Ia there any thread where you don't try shoehorn FG into to have a rant about?

Is there any FG post you're not monitoring to police and spring to their defence?

Is there any FG post you're not monitoring to police and spring to their defence?

Defend them on what, ‘right wing’ isnt an insult, we wish FG were actually right wing and would do the things younger leo believed in, we lament you being wrong , not defending FG, if anything were insulting them for not living up to their older principals

Centre Left =/= Right Wing

Not in my eyes. Voting down the child poverty bill for example was not a center left move.

Defend them on what, ‘right wing’ isnt an insult, we wish FG were actually right wing and would do the things younger leo believed in, we lament you being wrong , not defending FG, if anything were insulting them for not living up to their older principals

What are the old principles you feel they're not living up to?

• Advertisement

What are the old principles you feel they're not living up to?

To support the middle classes , support businesses and reduce taxation and welfare.

Remember increasing the higher tax threshold to 50k
    ‘Welfare cheats cheat us all’ clampdown
    Flirtations with the flat tax
    Leo condemning life time dole recipients.
    Scrap the USC

What did we get : dole christmas bonus, more dole, more migrants, more tax , free for all abortion and same sex marraige.

FG are a twitter Clap centre left social policy party, not a right wing bone left in their leadership

Advertisement