Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Department: New plan to end direct provision is unworkable

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Who the hell does "Roderic" think he is warning /threatening the people of this country with this?

A little bit of investigative digging required methinks. Roderic is likely a boy with some dark dark skeletons buried not too deep in the closet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

With regard to documentation, I once had to empty an aircraft jacks and fish out the remains of a Chinese woman's passport,which she had torn to pieces. She presented herself to the garda at the immigration point and asked for asylum and claimed that she had no documents. When it was established that she had boarded a flight in London legitimately, we searched the aircraft for her papers. One of the cabin crew mentioned that she had been in the rear jacks for a while before landing so the toilet service wagon was called and the operator began to drain the contents and his valve opener soon jammed. I was able to gain access from inside the aircraft and found a shredded passport. Hers. When she was confronted with it, she initially denied knowledge of it until her path from London was shown to her and suddenly her English improved markedly. She turned out to be Chinese, originally from the mainland,who had been refused residency in the UK for some reason. Back to HK she went.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Stovepipe wrote: »
    With regard to documentation, I once had to empty an aircraft jacks and fish out the remains of a Chinese woman's passport,which she had torn to pieces. She presented herself to the garda at the immigration point and asked for asylum and claimed that she had no documents. When it was established that she had boarded a flight in London legitimately, we searched the aircraft for her papers. One of the cabin crew mentioned that she had been in the rear jacks for a while before landing so the toilet service wagon was called and the operator began to drain the contents and his valve opener soon jammed. I was able to gain access from inside the aircraft and found a shredded passport. Hers. When she was confronted with it, she initially denied knowledge of it until her path from London was shown to her and suddenly her English improved markedly. She turned out to be Chinese, originally from the mainland,who had been refused residency in the UK for some reason. Back to HK she went.

There are positive stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

smurgen wrote: »
    Ah yes all those left leaning countries through the globe are up to their eyes in SPV's and charitable trusts used to shift profits and reduce tax liabilities of mega corporations in that typical leftist way.

https://twitter.com/thecurrency/status/1330440885956472832?s=19

FDI policy is the single area where we are right wing in this country , it is the golden goose of course so bar the loons in PBP , no one is likely to spook the apples and facebooks , not even SF ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

goose2005 wrote: »
    Most parties are right-wing economically but 'liberal' on social issues

at every budget , every party including FG advocates spending increases more than tax cuts , welfare cuts are never suggested by anyone , the state getting bigger is a priority for every party

" right wing economically "

gimme a break

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Who the hell does "Roderic" think he is warning /threatening the people of this country with this?

"I know that Irish people want to see us playing our part in helping the children affected by the shocking scenes of the fire that destroyed large sections of the Moria migrant camp in Lesbos. In September, I committed to working with Tusla and colleagues across Government, in the context of Budget 2021, to secure additional resources to transfer more children to Ireland. I am delighted to have secured funding to further fulfil our overall commitment in this regard. "

Rod OG

"I know that Irish people want to see us playing our part in helping the children affected by the shocking scenes of the fire that destroyed large sections of the Moria migrant camp in Lesbos. In September, I committed to working with Tusla and colleagues across Government, in the context of Budget 2021, to secure additional resources to transfer more children to Ireland. I am delighted to have secured funding to further fulfil our overall commitment in this regard. "

Rod OG

That be the fire they set themselves deliberately??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Rod OG
    Fires that the migrants started themselves specifically in order to achieve this type of reaction from gullible liberals.

In the meantime, in an area that is part of Roderic O' Gorman's remit:
    The number of our children waiting in agony for scoliosis surgery has jumped 66% compared to last year. O' Gorman will allow these children to languish in unbearable pain on lengthy waiting lists while their condition gets worse, but yet he is "delighted" to have secured funding to bring migrants from Greece to Ireland. Maybe O' Gorman should read some of the horror stories of Irish children on these waiting lists: https://twitter.com/scolionetwork?lang=en

Roderic O' Gorman should be replaced immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gervais08 wrote: »
    That be the fire they set themselves deliberately??

with flawless execution. Incoming all male groups of 'children' with full beards.

with flawless execution. Incoming all male groups of 'children' with full beards.

Yep. Sad but true.

• Advertisement

Its a pity there were no firemen or safety consultants among all those doctors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Rod OG
    I'd say he's fond of children all right. Has some interesting friends too does Rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Kivaro wrote: »
    You are correct. The Irish legal profession is not the only entity accumulating millions of euros from the asylum industry. There are a number of Irish families (or familiar conglomerates) involved in providing Direct Provision in Ireland who are earning tens of millions of euros at the expense of the Irish tax payer. All of this is happening under the cloak of Irish mainstream media protection.

When we have a refugee living in a €700,000 one bedroom apartment in a wealthy Dublin suburb complaining about access to the gym facilities, then we (as in the 'normal people' in Ireland) know that something is seriously wrong with the country. The Irish Times and RTE can call us racist and lacking intellectual aptitude to understand the complexity of the asylum process in Ireland, but there will come a time when the asylum scam will be exposed. By that time, the connected Irish people who have made millions from the scam will have retired to much sunnier climes than our fare Isle.
    But the damage done to our little country will possibly be insurmountable.

"Follow the money": that is what drives the asylum industry in Ireland; it has very little to do with the UN or European Convention on Human Rights.

DP costs the government a lot of money. So your claim that letting DP continue is financially-motivated doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

DP costs the government a lot of money. So your claim that letting DP continue is financially-motivated doesn't make sense.

It is financially motivated , a small few are making hundreds of millions to keep 5000 asylum seekers here and looking to open more centers ,
    Yet we can't seem to deport any failed asylum seekers who get to stay in dp indefinitely

Gatling wrote: »
    It is financially motivated , a small few are making hundreds of millions to keep 5000 asylum seekers here and looking to open more centers ,
    Yet we can't seem to deport any failed asylum seekers who get to stay in dp indefinitely

Why would the government increase the national debt for the benefit of 'a small few'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why would the government increase the national debt for the benefit of 'a small few'?

Can't tell if serious or no....

Stovepipe wrote: »

The majority are coming through from domestic Europe so by and large they're all destroying their documents in a similar way.

You would think that given this is what's happening. Passengers were made to show their passport to disembark a flight, or taken off passengers on one end and not returned until they're processed on the other.

I know that's messy, but if you have 1000s of people boarding commercial flights and destroying documents then it seems something needs to be done about it.

Personally I wouldnt let them out of the airport, they've already broken the rules by the time they present at the airport so they should be detained there until they sort their passports out with their home country.

Maybe the incidents would dry up if you knew you were just going to be detained indefinitely at the airport.
    No sympathy anyway since it's a premeditated action.

conorhal wrote: »
    Can't tell if serious or no....
    Especially when he says that it is costing the government a lot of money.
    It is not. It is costing the working/contributing people in this country a lot of money.

It is no wonder that the friend that Leo Varadkar was leaking confidential documents to recently, wanted to get into the Direct Provision business because it is so lucrative. And this friend was a doctor working in DPs, so he knew firsthand the kind of money that could be made ............. on the backs of tax payers.

We should abandon the Green Party's push of abolishing Direct Provision in order to provide asylum seekers with their own homes within 3 months of flying in from London etc. Direct Provision centers should be state-run/owned and the whole asylum process needs to be overhauled in order to stop the rampant abuse e.g. the case reported today of Mohammed Hamad who fraudulently claimed over €65,000 in social welfare payments in Ireland as a failed asylum seeker.

If our choice is to provide a child in Ireland with scoliosis surgery versus providing this money to a failed asylum seeker, then it should be a no-brainer. Mohammed should have been deported but the Irish authorities failed to carry out their duty, which allowed him to fraudulently claim this tax payer money.

Especially when he says that it is costing the government a lot of money.
    It is not. It is costing the working/contributing people in this country a lot of money.

It is no wonder that the friend that Leo Varadkar was leaking confidential documents to recently, wanted to get into the Direct Provision business because it is so lucrative. And this friend was a doctor working in DPs, so he knew firsthand the kind of money that could be made ............. on the backs of tax payers.

We should abandon the Green Party's push of abolishing Direct Provision in order to provide asylum seekers with their own homes within 3 months of flying in from London etc. Direct Provision centers should be state-run/owned and the whole asylum process needs to be overhauled in order to stop the rampant abuse e.g. the case reported today of Mohammed Hamad who fraudulently claimed over €65,000 in social welfare payments in Ireland as a failed asylum seeker.

If our choice is to provide a child in Ireland with scoliosis surgery versus providing this money to a failed asylum seeker, then it should be a no-brainer. Mohammed should have been deported but the Irish authorities failed to carry out their duty, which allowed him to fraudulently claim this tax payer money.

That's what I meant - when something costs the government money it, by default, costs the taxpayer money and thus damages the public finances.

The Department of Health isn't involved in the running of Direct Provision and so the health service budget (e.g. scoliosis surgery) is a separate matter.

That's what I meant - when something costs the government money it, by default, costs the taxpayer money and thus damages the public finances.

The Department of Health isn't involved in the running of Direct Provision and so the health service budget (e.g. scoliosis surgery) is a separate matter.

Whole thing smacks of a scam....failed and unfit for purpose hotels are repurposed as DP centres,

While their owners profit massively off state gauranteed contracts,and the residents let to rot for years on end

Profiteering off the weakest in society who have noone to talk out for em,is completely and utterly morally bankrupt

• Advertisement

The Green Party's Roderic O'Gorman has committed to the replacement of Direct Provision with free own-door housing for asylum seekers within 3 months. Imagine flying in from London or Paris and being guaranteed free housing all for yourself as soon as you utter the word "asylum". It is complete lunacy.

O' Gorman is the Minister of Children, but his focus seems to be on Direct Provision replacement and getting more African migrants into Ireland from camps around Europe. Maybe he should focus on reducing the waiting times for scoliosis surgeries for children in Ireland, or maybe doing something about the sub-par mental health services for our children and teens in Ireland. I understand he may lose some virtue signaling points by focusing on children in Ireland, but that's his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

The majority are coming through from domestic Europe so by and large they're all destroying their documents in a similar way.

You would think that given this is what's happening. Passengers were made to show their passport to disembark a flight, or taken off passengers on one end and not returned until they're processed on the other.

I know that's messy, but if you have 1000s of people boarding commercial flights and destroying documents then it seems something needs to be done about it.

Personally I wouldnt let them out of the airport, they've already broken the rules by the time they present at the airport so they should be detained there until they sort their passports out with their home country.

Maybe the incidents would dry up if you knew you were just going to be detained indefinitely at the airport.
    No sympathy anyway since it's a premeditated action.

I seem to remember some time ago, passengers coming off a flight were stopped on the tarmac before entering the airport building, and their documents checked before they were allowed to proceed.Not sure if it was a one off operation, and they were looking for someone specific or what. But its not something that you will see everyday. Its not every airport in the world thay you will present yourself without documents ( unless you fancy spending some time in a very inhospitable place.....)

Heard the Children's Minister on the lunchtime news today talking (again) about the ending of Direct Provision. He spoke about the rolling out of the new Direct Provision replacement where asylum seekers would get their "own door" accommodation after 3 months, which would be overseen by the local authorities. The Housing Department already stated in their recent report that Irish people will be made homeless if this "groundbreaking" system goes ahead. They also stated in their report that since the vast majority of asylum seekers are not deported, they currently just stay in DP centres after losing their asylum application and their endless appeals. We should expect the same for the new asylum seekers flying into Dublin that they too will just stay in their own houses/apartments indefinitely even after being rejected for asylum in Ireland; all paid for by tax payers on this new asylum HAP system.

Roderic O' Gorman talked today about respecting "the dignity" of these asylum seekers. How about respecting the dignity of those who will be made homeless in order to accommodate the asylum seekers? How about respecting the dignity of children who cannot seem to get adequate mental health services in Ireland and others who end up on lengthy waiting lists for scoliosis surgeries? The Children's Minister seems to be constantly talking about Direct Provision and bringing in more people from migrant camps around Europe. He is a woeful advocate for the children of Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

Heard the Children's Minister on the lunchtime news today talking (again) about the ending of Direct Provision. He spoke about the rolling out of the new Direct Provision replacement where asylum seekers would get their "own door" accommodation after 3 months, which would be overseen by the local authorities. The Housing Department already stated in their recent report that Irish people will be made homeless if this "groundbreaking" system goes ahead. They also stated in their report that since the vast majority of asylum seekers are not deported, they currently just stay in DP centres after losing their asylum application and their endless appeals. We should expect the same for the new asylum seekers flying into Dublin that they too will just stay in their own houses/apartments indefinitely even after being rejected for asylum in Ireland; all paid for by tax payers on this new asylum HAP system.

Roderic O' Gorman talked today about respecting "the dignity" of these asylum seekers. How about respecting the dignity of those who will be made homeless in order to accommodate the asylum seekers? How about respecting the dignity of children who cannot seem to get adequate mental health services in Ireland and others who end up on lengthy waiting lists for scoliosis surgeries? The Children's Minister seems to be constantly talking about Direct Provision and bringing in more people from migrant camps around Europe. He is a woeful advocate for the children of Ireland.

Let it all play out and hammer anyone who defends this at the ballot box. If we could have confidence that people receiving their own door accommodation were genuine cases, Irish people have a heart.

However, from what we know of the entire asylum-seeking system, it's all a big fat joke. The population will soon get sick of Chilean people 'afraid of earthquakes' or fake LGBT people from South Africa being handed the keys to a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Imagine we're paying Aramark about 6 million a year for this:

https://twitter.com/GrainneClose/status/1342822865276727297?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aramark used to do the catering in our place, thats about their standard in general

Good question though, why are we paying for this, instead of yeeting bogus asylum seekers out of the country after their first appeal fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bambi wrote: »
    Aramark used to do the catering in our place, thats about their standard in general

Good question though, why are we paying for this, instead of yeeting bogus asylum seekers out of the country after their first appeal fails?

The standard of food could be a lot better if we just had a lot less economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The standard of food could be a lot better if we just had a lot less economic migrants.

I think the Irish are the last people to be pontificating about economic migrants tbh.

smurgen wrote: »
    Imagine we're paying Aramark about 6 million a year for this:

https://twitter.com/GrainneClose/status/1342822865276727297?s=19

This, to me, smacks of a Margaret Cash-type orchestrated picture. It tries to convey the Irish public as the Ebenezer Scrooge character in Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol"; especially with the XMas lunch reference in the Tweet.
    How dystopian of us Irish .....

In the meantime, we continue to spend billions of euros on asylum seekers; the vast majority of whom are bogus, but they will continue to live for free in Ireland with all the welfare services imaginable until they obtain amnesty. Rest assured that even after we provide new asylum seekers with free housing after 3 months of arrival at Dublin airport, it will never be enough for the likes of Roderic O' Gorman. We will have to continue to give and give while others in Ireland are deprived; all for the sake of "progressive" values or the optics of being a diverse society; albeit a contrived and enforced diverse society.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think the Irish are the last people to be pontificating about economic migrants tbh.
    And round and round we go ............
    Did the Irish economic migrants get free housing and welfare for life upon arriving in the United States or Australia or other far flung countries of the planet?
    Of course they didn't, but that will not stop some from making such absurd comparisons.

Advertisement