Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Housing Department: New plan to end direct provision is unworkable

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Great to see the government finally looking after their own and addressing the housing crisis.

****in joke of a country at the minute

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think the Irish are the last people to be pontificating about economic migrants tbh.

Why. Where did you go to get your free handouts.
    Or maybe you're a visitor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If just one mainstream political party had the balls to stand up against this they'd be the most popular in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Seems the plan is going ahead.

Houses for every asylum seeker by 2024 within 3 when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Seems the plan is going ahead.

Houses for every asylum seeker by 2024 within 3 when they arrive.

An Irish person living in a tent alongside a canal, will they get fixed accommodation within 4 months of being made homeless?

If the answer is yes then there is no problem. If the answer is no then this is discrimation against Irish people in their own country.

Telling anyone who rocks up here under the guise of being an asylum seeker that they will receive an apartment within 4 months is batsh!t crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Other European countries will be delighted with this.

If I were Danish, Dutch or British I'd be saying "Go to Ireland, they'll give you a free house, you'll get nothing here".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

statesaver wrote: »

If I were Danish, Dutch or British I'd be saying "Go to Ireland, they'll give you a free house, you'll get nothing here".

Their NGOs will have to come up with offers , maybe a swimming pool with each house or free car aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The 1951 UN Refugee Convention came about in the context of post war displacement and its follow up, the 1967 protocol, was an update in the context of the movement of people during decolonisation and countries gaining independence.

Global circumstances are now very different and it is clear that the main driver of the movement of people is now economic. This requires a different approach and the existing conventions are no longer fit for purpose.

Saw this from Enda O'Neil, head of the UNHCR in Ireland in the white paper just released.

"Equally, it is important to the credibility of the entire asylum system that those who are found not to be in need of international protection can be returned promptly to their country of origin in safety and with dignity.”

I must admit I'm pleasently surprised by that. I don't think this will ever happen though. Can anyone point to statistics over say the last decade of numbers who actually leave once refused? All I can find are a tiny amount of actual deportations, which may or may not be connected to failed claims. I don't understand why the government can't produce statistics every year to say what percentage of failed applicants have been removed from the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nice words from Enda there but what will that really look like? How many appeals over how many years are acceptable? And if the person puts down roots over that time will a prompt deportation still occur?

• Advertisement

Nice words from Enda there but what will that really look like? How many appeals over how many years are acceptable? And if the person puts down roots over that time will a prompt deportation still occur?

I agree, it'll amount to very little. There is no reason the Irish government couldn't implement what he is saying though. They'd have the backup of the head of the UNHCR in Ireland to deflect from the inevitable cries of racism from the media, NGOs and the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

WrenBoy wrote: »
    When does it become acceptable for Irish people to argue in their own favour ?
    To argue against this publicly would see you ostracised as a far right racist fanatic and so it will pass without much fuss.
    After having it for only a 100 years we're looking to give Ireland away. sad.

The only way society can bring back sanity is by rejecting all politically correct dogma. People always try and counter said mindset by arguing within the frames of "acceptance", but they still have power when you argue within the frames that they've set. If everything that they push is ignored, mocked, they lose their power. Humans have the collective power to get rid of this belief system, we just need to act on it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The only way society can bring back sanity is by rejecting all politically correct dogma. People always try and counter said mindset by arguing within the frames of "acceptance", but they still have power when you argue within the frames that they've set. If everything that they push is ignored, mocked, they lose their power. Humans have the collective power to get rid of this belief system, we just need to act on it.

Very much so.
    Regarding the Green's implementation of this new unsustainable own housing plan for asylum seekers, it needs to be challenged in court. That is the first step in stopping this lunacy. The Dept. of Housing believe that it is inevitable that the plan will be legally challenged. We may have to go to Europe for help with this. I'd say that Brussels are scratching their collective heads about this decision, as they may need to bail us out when the Covid bill becomes too much for the Irish tax payer. We are already one of most indebted countries on the planet; why add more debt for our children and grandchildren to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Most of the weirdo rent a quotes from the immigrant council and the likes who appear on Matt Cooper etc actually are mostly Brits.

Maybe they're deep cover Tories trying to alleviate the pressure on their homeland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is this new model even sustainable?
    If we already have a housing crisis it sounds to me the government are causing more housing problems, not less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We’re going to become the welfare ghetto of europe.

We’re going to become the welfare ghetto of europe.

I would safely say that we are definitely the most generous welfare suppliers in Europe at the moment .

We should be holding tight for a while to see how many of our own citizens find themselves out of work after the aftermath of covid. And a serious rethinking of what kind of people with the right kind of skills we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I posted this on the other DP thread started today:

Roderic O' Gorman is not to be trusted.
    In light of him doing the rounds on our GroupThink mainstream media today and repeating the fallacy that his plan has universal approval, I contacted all of the sitting TDs in my constituency to confirm that this was not the case, and I vehemently disagreed with this immoral plan to house asylum seekers in a manner that will result in Irish people becoming homeless.

I encourage others who do not agree with this plan to write a quick email to all of your TDs to express your sentiments. Otherwise, they too will believe O' Gorman's lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What's next renaming the country to make others feel at home

Advertisement