Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB meter box for outfarm

• 23-11-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭

folks getting in an unmetered connection in an outside bit of land for electric fence, the esb tell me I need a meter box installed and ducted to pole before they will install..there are no sheds on this spot to put the meter box, ESb suggested building a block wall and mounting the box onto it and then another weather proof box beside it for fence. i may well end up doing this but would prefer something I could just drop in, little a little steel container (cut off of a shipping container). just wondering what other people have used. i see little steel site toilets for sale on dd, wonder would something like that do if I could fit meter box to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

built a block wall, we have everything in the 1 box but if ever replacing to a larger unit will have to put in the second box, in 24 years now same fencer still working A1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

annubis wrote: »
    folks getting in an unmetered connection in an outside bit of land for electric fence, the esb tell me I need a meter box installed and ducted to pole before they will install..there are no sheds on this spot to put the meter box, ESb suggested building a block wall and mounting the box onto it and then another weather proof box beside it for fence. i may well end up doing this but would prefer something I could just drop in, little a little steel container (cut off of a shipping container). just wondering what other people have used. i see little steel site toilets for sale on dd, wonder would something like that do if I could fit meter box to it?

Do it properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

If the only thing the connection is going to power is an electric fence, would a solar powered fencer unit not be a better option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

What about a pillar box. Just a concrete base require.

https://www.powerandcables.com/product/feeder-pillars/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

Micheal H wrote: »
    If the only thing the connection is going to power is an electric fence, would a solar powered fencer unit not be a better option?

hmm would prefer to have something permanent there, not a big fan of battery fences, dont have any experience of solar but hard to beats a mains fence i think

• Advertisement

49801 wrote: »
    What about a pillar box. Just a concrete base require.

https://www.powerandcables.com/product/feeder-pillars/

ya great idea if esb would be happy enough it would be ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

ya great idea if esb would be happy enough it would be ideal

Yes it should work. I've seen one in use near me for 3 phase. Depending on what area your in the fellas who you deal with when they call out are usually straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 manpaq

Hi Annubis

Just reading about your esb post and wondered have you done anything since. Always wondering whether esb connection is a good way of going. I was in similar situation few years back and looked into getting esb connection but they were asking a fortune to get connected. I ended up going with a Lacme solar fencer in the end and have to say brilliant job. I give it one charge at the start of every year and don’t touch it until the next year and its well able to cover the 60 acres I have it on. I’d nearly say it doesn’t need the charge at all but lad that sold it recommended one charge per year to mind the battery.

I’d be interested to hear costs etc with what u ended up with

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Putting in a new esb connection on an outfarm - is there room for negotiation when deciding where to put the poles.

Like if the meterbox unit is in the middle of your land - can you avoid having poles in the middle of fields, or do they take a direct line as the crow flies no matter what?

manpaq wrote: »
    Hi Annubis

Just reading about your esb post and wondered have you done anything since. Always wondering whether esb connection is a good way of going. I was in similar situation few years back and looked into getting esb connection but they were asking a fortune to get connected. I ended up going with a Lacme solar fencer in the end and have to say brilliant job. I give it one charge at the start of every year and don’t touch it until the next year and its well able to cover the 60 acres I have it on. I’d nearly say it doesn’t need the charge at all but lad that sold it recommended one charge per year to mind the battery.

I’d be interested to hear costs etc with what u ended up with

havent done anything yet except organise esb, which cost 475, they wont do their bit though till i have wall or shed etc in place which i havent done yet

• Advertisement

Putting in a new esb connection on an outfarm - is there room for negotiation when deciding where to put the poles.

Like if the meterbox unit is in the middle of your land - can you avoid having poles in the middle of fields, or do they take a direct line as the crow flies no matter what?

hmm in my case the esb poles were already there as it by the road, I think if the poles werent there already you are looking at alot more expense

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

hmm in my case the esb poles were already there as it by the road, I think if the poles werent there already you are looking at alot more expense

Ya it's around 3000 for a new metered connection - an unmetered connection is way cheaper alright.

I know it’s dear at 475euro but not over bad. The only problem I would have is I would need a few poles so prob skyrockets. The 3000euro just isn’t viable as if just for fencer you would buy some amount of fencers / batteries for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭zetor 4911

Does anyone know where to buy a solar panel (10watt) in Ireland for an electric fence the panel I have has come to the end of its days

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to buy a solar panel (10watt) in Ireland for an electric fence the panel I have has come to the end of its days

Try these. Very good to deal with. https://www.irishsales.ie/?product=10w-replacement-panel

Advertisement