Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Leinster Championship is dead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Enquiring wrote: »
    Any reason why they won't release their accounts? Anything to hide?

Are ye saying they're not complying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Are ye saying they're not complying?

I'm asking why they refuse to release their accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

What accusations? I'm saying this deserves investigation. Look at the characters involved and the amount of money that has been taken for this scheme. Millions of taxpayers money I might add. I think it'd be of public interest.

You have stated Murky and characters involved and deserves investigation. On what grounds? If you have evidence or want to let us all know what you mean. We are all ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

I'm asking why they refuse to release their accounts.

Stop clogging up the thread with accusations of corruption unless you can provide proof to suggest there was or is wrongdoing.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    You have stated Murky and characters involved and deserves investigation. On what grounds? If you have evidence or want to let us all know what you mean. We are all ears.

On grounds that millions of taxpayers money is involved here and the Dublin County Board won't release their accounts. It could be all above board but lessons should be learned from the whole FAI debacle. Organisations shouldn't be allowed to keep accounts secret when public money is involved.

• Advertisement

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Stop clogging up the thread with accusations of corruption unless you can provide proof to suggest there was or is wrongdoing.

What accusations? What's wrong with a bit of transparency?

You are suggesting that a county board has been engaged in an attempt with past politicians to defraud the public. Provide some proof to show this may be true instead of putting it back on Dublin and calling for them to release their accounts. The GAA, AGS, and Revenue don't suspect any wrongdoing or we would have heard something about it considering how leaky the Gov and Civil Service is.

You are suggesting that a county board has been engaged in an attempt with past politicians to defraud the public. Provide some proof to show this may be true instead of putting it back on Dublin and calling for them to release their accounts. The GAA, AGS, and Revenue don't suspect any wrongdoing or we would have heard something about it considering how leaky the Gov and Civil Service is.

I haven't suggested that. I've suggested that an investigation should be done. Remember recent events with the FAI? Revenue, AGS etc didn't suspect any wrongdoing, did they? I'm just saying, having secret accounts shouldn't be welcomed, I think everyone can agree with that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod: Drop the accusations of possible illegality now. There is absolutely no evidence of this.

I haven't suggested that. I've suggested that an investigation should be done. Remember recent events with the FAI? Revenue, AGS etc didn't suspect any wrongdoing, did they? I'm just saying, having secret accounts shouldn't be welcomed, I think everyone can agree with that?

I don't agree. Dublin doesn't have a John Delaney. You keep asking for an investigation but haven't laid exactly why it should be done nor provided any proof which suggests any wrongdoing. It was the opposite with the FAI.

• Advertisement

I don't agree. Dublin doesn't have a John Delaney. You keep asking for an investigation but haven't laid exactly why it should be done nor provided any proof which suggests any wrongdoing. It was the opposite with the FAI.

I think we're all agreed that the Dublin County Board should release their accounts. But anyway, moving on. Did Dublin receive money from the GAA again this year? The full Games Development amount?

I think we're all agreed that the Dublin County Board should release their accounts. But anyway, moving on. Did Dublin receive money from the GAA again this year? The full Games Development amount?

They shouldn't have to release their accounts unless there were suspected of wrongdoing. That is not the case and you haven't provided evidence to suggest otherwise.

Yes, they did recieve money again. They will always receive money from the games development fund. Over 80% of the fund goes to other counties. The lastest figures came from an RTE article in 2019. They got 14% in 2017 and 22% in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can you provide a link to the accounts of any other county ? Thanks.

If you are all for accountability and transparency in the ‘sport’... why are you not determined to see every county accounts, see every county be equally transparent....see it across the board, why do you just want Dublin’s accounts ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

They shouldn't have to release their accounts unless there were suspected of wrongdoing. That is not the case and you haven't provided evidence to suggest otherwise.

Yes, they did recieve money again. They will always receive money from the games development fund. Over 80% of the fund goes to other counties. The lastest figures came from an RTE article in 2019. They got 14% in 2017 and 22% in 2018.

I'm not alleging any misdeeds but I disagree with this. They absolutely should publish their accounts as should every county board. But as far as I am aware there's never any secrecy around the Kildare accounts anyway and most other counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I'm not alleging any misdeeds but I disagree with this. They absolutely should publish their accounts as should every county board. But as far as I am aware there's never any secrecy around the Kildare accounts anyway and most other counties.

Dublin’s accounts are extremely well guarded but almost all major counties including kildare’s are hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Strumms wrote: »

If you are all for accountability and transparency in the ‘sport’... why are you not determined to see every county accounts, see every county be equally transparent....see it across the board, why do you just want Dublin’s accounts ? ;)

I totally agree that all counties accounts should be made available however I would presume the interest in the Dublin accounts is because they received and continue to receive way more money than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Rock77 wrote: »
    I totally agree that all counties accounts should be made available however I would presume the interest in the Dublin accounts is because they received and continue to receive way more money than anyone else.

Last I see a few years ago they'd something like 7 million in spare cash lying around. Not only could they fund themselves, they could fund a few others while they're at it.

Do organisations only release their accounts if there's suspected wrongdoing?

Why did they receive the money when the majority of the season was written off? Did the funds just begin in 2019? What percent of the funds have Dublin received since the turn of the century?

Of course, there should be transparency across the board, why shouldn't there be?

Do organisations only release their accounts if there's suspected wrongdoing?

Why did they receive the money when the majority of the season was written off? Did the funds just begin in 2019? What percent of the funds have Dublin received since the turn of the century?

Do you have any evidence for you claim? You've been asked several times. Why aren't you interested in seeing other county board accounts. Galway were in some bother a few years back.

What season? Every county receives games development funding. This year will be different but those figures haven't been released. Dublin received 18 million between 2007 and 2018 or roughly 1.63 million a year.

This thread has just descended into baseless accusations.

• Advertisement

Of course, there should be transparency across the board, why shouldn't there be?

Well, you should be calling for change to enable every account in every county to be public and transparent... but actually, no, you only asked for Dublin’s ;)

For the record, there is no obligation on complete transparency. But Dublin DO publish their numbers. Google is your friend.

Do you have any evidence for you claim? You've been asked several times. Why aren't you interested in seeing other county board accounts. Galway were in some bother a few years back.

What season? Every county receives games development funding. This year will be different but those figures haven't been released. Dublin received 18 million between 2007 and 2018 or roughly 1.63 million a year.

This thread has just descended into baseless accusations.

What claim? I've already stated that every county should release their accounts, only Dublin fans are saying that they shouldn't.

Will this year be different or will Dublin get their full amount? They received over 20m from 2005-2018, the next highest in that time period was 1.6m.

What baseless accusations?

Well, you should be calling for change to enable every account in every county to be public and transparent... but actually, no, you only asked for Dublin’s ;)

For the record, there is no obligation on complete transparency. But Dublin DO publish their numbers. Google is your friend.

Dublin don't publish their accounts. The reason I'm interested in Dublin's is because they have received huge sums which has completely changed the landscape of our association and not for the better.

What claim? I've already stated that every county should release their accounts, only Dublin fans are saying that they shouldn't.

Will this year be different or will Dublin get their full amount? They received over 20m from 2005-2018, the next highest in that time period was 1.6m.

What baseless accusations?

You only said that when prompted by other users. You were only asking for Dublin's accounts up until that point and still haven't provided a good reason for why. What full amount are you referring to? Are you suggesting that the GAA will not decrease funding for Dublin?
    On grounds that millions of taxpayers money is involved here and the Dublin County Board won't release their accounts. It could be all above board but lessons should be learned from the whole FAI debacle. Organisations shouldn't be allowed to keep accounts secret when public money is involved.
    Any reason why they won't release their accounts? Anything to hide?
    One thing that can't be ignored is that it's not just one area of Dublin GAA that has improved. Their senior footballers have obviously dominated but so have their female counterparts. Also, their underage results have changed dramatically and their club teams. This shows the effect the money has had across the board.

It seems to be gathering huge momentum now. Soon enough the mainstream media will have to start discussing it and splitting Dublin will come into serious consideration. There probably will be a need to have an investigation into the origins of the funding. Was it all above board? Bertie Ahern and Maria Bailey's father were involved. And with the Dublin County Boards refusal to release their accounts, it all seems very murky.

Some of your previous comments. Once again, I'm asking you to provide proof for any of the above. Your reference to the FAI suggest you believe something illegal has happened.

You only said that when prompted by other users. You were only asking for Dublin's accounts up until that point and still haven't provided a good reason for why. What full amount are you referring to? Are you suggesting that the GAA will not decrease funding for Dublin?

Some of your previous comments. Once again, I'm asking you to provide proof for any of the above. Your reference to the FAI suggest you believe something illegal has happened.

This thread is about the Leinster football championship being dead and the reasons for it. That's why Dublin's accounts would be a topic of conversation here. The funding pays for coaches, I don't see that being reduced this year. Team expenses will be interesting this year for sure.

You continue to claim I've made accusations but haven't been able to back that up.

This thread is about the Leinster football championship being dead and the reasons for it. That's why Dublin's accounts would be a topic of conversation here. The funding pays for coaches, I don't see that being reduced this year. Team expenses will be interesting this year for sure.

You continue to claim I've made accusations but haven't been able to back that up.

I posted your comments where you kept mentioned Dublin and implying that it wasn't above board. Do you have any evidence to suggest that is true? You've gone beyond just discussing the level of funding from the GAA which was legal.

Do you believe the GAA will not cut funding for Dublin this year but do it for other counties?

Dublin don't publish their accounts. The reason I'm interested in Dublin's is because they have received huge sums which has completely changed the landscape of our association and not for the better.

Dublin simply have a significantly higher population, more players, more clubs therefore more funding is necessary. It’s not rocket science.

Between 2007 and 2018 there was a difference in around 800,000 euros, between what Cork were awarded, and what Fermanagh were awarded...

Should Fermanagh get to complain about that ? Ignoring playing populations, number of clubs etc... should every county just be awarded an equal share of the funds...? It would be foolish to suggest that they should...

If a county say ‘A’ has 12 clubs, 72 teams across all age groups and genders... circa 2200 players... across the county

Is it fair the they receive the SAME funding as a county ‘B’ with 30 clubs say... 180 teams ? It’s not. The greater share of the funding goes to help the county with more clubs, teams and 6500 players...it SHOULD.

That’s why Cork get more than Louth and Kerry get more than Laois, Dublin get more than, everybody because there are a huge number of clubs and participants... underage to senior to masters... football, hurling, camogie, handball... simple economics based on the playing population...

Dublin get a lot more money but it needs to go a hell of a ways further...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I don't think there was anything fraudulent but Bertie Ahern did do a deal to pump millions into Dublin GAA if I recall correctly. Probably nothing illegal in it as he spoke about it on public record. Not very ethical for a public official to use public money to favour their own sports team though imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I don't think there was anything fraudulent but Bertie Ahern did do a deal to pump millions into Dublin GAA if I recall correctly. Probably nothing illegal in it as he spoke about it on public record. Not very ethical for a public official to use public money to favour their own sports team though imo
    Nothing fraudulent or illegal. Look at any distribution of sports capital funding going back decade plus and look at the amount of funding that went to groups in constituency of sports minister/key ministers at the time...

• Advertisement

Dublin simply have a significantly higher population, more players, more clubs therefore more funding is necessary. It’s not rocket science.

Cork county has a population of around 500k, Dublin has a population of around 1.3m. Cork have the most amount of GAA clubs with 259, almost twice that of Dubin (134)

Between 2007 and 2018, Dublin received almost €18m in coaching/game development grants directly from Croke Park. Cork are second with €1.4m

Not rocket science indeed.

I posted your comments where you kept mentioned Dublin and implying that it wasn't above board. Do you have any evidence to suggest that is true? You've gone beyond just discussing the level of funding from the GAA which was legal.

Do you believe the GAA will not cut funding for Dublin this year but do it for other counties?

So you can't back up your claim that I'm making any accusations?

Between 2007 and 2018 there was a difference in around 800,000 euros, between what Cork were awarded, and what Fermanagh were awarded...

Should Fermanagh get to complain about that ? Ignoring playing populations, number of clubs etc... should every county just be awarded an equal share of the funds...? It would be foolish to suggest that they should...

If a county say ‘A’ has 12 clubs, 72 teams across all age groups and genders... circa 2200 players... across the county

Is it fair the they receive the SAME funding as a county ‘B’ with 30 clubs say... 180 teams ? It’s not. The greater share of the funding goes to help the county with more clubs, teams and 6500 players...it SHOULD.

That’s why Cork get more than Louth and Kerry get more than Laois, Dublin get more than, everybody because there are a huge number of clubs and participants... underage to senior to masters... football, hurling, camogie, handball... simple economics based on the playing population...

Dublin get a lot more money but it needs to go a hell of a ways further...

Dublin got more than 20 million between 2005 and 2018. The next highest was 1.6 million in that time period. Does Dublin have over 10 times the population of Cork for example? The money was spent on coaches, Dublin had near 100 coaches while all other counties had between 1 and 6.

Cork county has a population of around 500k, Dublin has a population of around 1.3m. Cork have the most amount of GAA clubs with 259, almost twice that of Dubin (134)

Between 2007 and 2018, Dublin received almost €18m in coaching/game development grants directly from Croke Park. Cork are second with €1.4m

Not rocket science indeed.

Really ? Go to the Cork GAA website.. they certainly don’t have 259 clubs listed or close even... a quick scan granted but I counted 145 listed.

While Dublin may have less clubs, it has more teams underage, senior, girls, ladies and more besides.

Really ? Go to the Cork GAA website.. they certainly don’t have 259 clubs listed or close even... a quick scan granted but I counted 145 listed.

While Dublin may have less clubs, it has more teams underage, senior, girls, ladies and more besides.

But your point was that Dublin should get more money because they have a higher population - nothing wrong with that logic but they don't have 12x the population whatever measure you use. They have been getting way more than their fair share for a long time now

So you can't back up your claim that I'm making any accusations?

I did. Your quotes are there. Why else would you bring up the FAI or suggest that Dublin has something to hide?

I will ask you again. Do you have any evidence to suggest that Dublin has committed any wrongdoing? Do you have any evidence to suggest that Dublin and Bertie to defraud the public of millions of euros?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Last I see a few years ago they'd something like 7 million in spare cash lying around. Not only could they fund themselves, they could fund a few others while they're at it.

Links ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

dunnerc wrote: »
    Links ?

Try Google. Did it a bit of research for you and in 2019 Dublin made a profit of around €1M

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-gaas-annual-commercial-income-breaks-through-the-2m-barrier-38779148.html

Scratching my head as to why they get so much funding with results like that. They million could pay for about 30 full time coaches around Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The roll of honour does not back up this point.

The most competitive period was the 17 seasons from 1935 to 1951. Seven different counties won Leinster Championships, Meath five, Laois four, Louth three, Dublin two, Kildare, Wexford and Carlow one each. This is the golden era of competition within Leinster.

1997 to 2005 is the second most competitive period.

Prior to that, only from 1983 was it sown up between Dublin and Meath.

Offaly won three Leinster Championships in each of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Three different counties won in the 70s. Four different counties won in the 1960s: Dublin three, Meath three, Offaly three and Longford one. The 1950s also had four different counties winning, and I've already outlined from 1935 above.

The simple facts are that the periods where two counties dominate are the less common and the Leinster championship had many very competitive periods where numerous different counties managed to get over the line. It really was a competitive gem in the provincial structure.

Most teams have rarely beaten Dublin in leinster finals in Leinster. Laois Westmeath Wicklow Carlow and Longford have never beaten Dublin in leinster final. Offaly have beaten Dublin in 3 leinster finals the last time 35 years ago, Louth have beaten Dublin in 2 leinster finals the last time 60 years ago, Wexford haven’t beaten Dublin in leinster final in 100 years and Kildare have beaten Dublin in 1 leinster final in 90 years, Meath defeated Dublin in 7 leinster finals in 15 years in 80s and 90s.

This shows how dominant Dublin have been in leinster football. The team that would have regularly beaten Dublin in the past was Meath.

Leinster teams record v Dublin in leinster championship

Kildare have only beaten Dublin twice in 45 years

Offaly have not beaten Dublin in 35 years.

Laois have beaten Dublin once in 35 years 3 times in 70 years.

Louth haven't not beaten Dublin in 48 years

Westmeath have beaten Dublin twice in 130 years

Wexford have not beaten Dublin in 70 years

Wicklow have not beaten Dublin in 70 years their only victory

Carlow have not beaten Dublin in nearly 80 years

Longford have not beaten Dublin in 50 years

Meath have beaten Dublin 9 times and drawn 5 times in the last 35 years in the championship

( Also there is 2 national league division 1 finals victories v the Dubs for Meath in 75 and 88 ) So that brings Meath up to 11 wins and 5 draws. 16 undefeated games v Dublin in Croke Park in over 3 decades for Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The roll of honour does not back up this point.

The most competitive period was the 17 seasons from 1935 to 1951. Seven different counties won Leinster Championships, Meath five, Laois four, Louth three, Dublin two, Kildare, Wexford and Carlow one each. This is the golden era of competition within Leinster.

1997 to 2005 is the second most competitive period.

Prior to that, only from 1983 was it sown up between Dublin and Meath.

Offaly won three Leinster Championships in each of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Three different counties won in the 70s. Four different counties won in the 1960s: Dublin three, Meath three, Offaly three and Longford one. The 1950s also had four different counties winning, and I've already outlined from 1935 above.

The simple facts are that the periods where two counties dominate are the less common and the Leinster championship had many very competitive periods where numerous different counties managed to get over the line. It really was a competitive gem in the provincial structure.

The only periods you had a very competitive leinster championship when you had numerous winners were late 90s to early 00s eg Winners Meath Dublin Kildare Offaly Laois Westmeath
    1940s 50s - Winners Meath Dublin Louth Kildare Wexford Carlow Laois

In the last 60 years Dublin have won 33 Meath 13 Offaly 9 Kildare 2 Laois Westmeath and longford 1 each.,Dublin have been the kingpins for a long time in leinster. Take Meath and Offaly out of the equation Dublin could potentially have won 49 of the last 55 leinster titles Take out Meath and Offaly out of the equation. Dublin would have and probaly would havd won the leinster title from 1969 to 1997. (Meath Offaly and Dublin were the only winners during this period ) You take the period 1958 to 1997, a 39 year period with exception of 1968 Longfords win, every leinster title in those 38 years was won by Meath Dublin and Offaly. Dublin won 19 leinster, Meath 10 leinster , Offaly 9 leinster and longford 1 leinster in a 40 years period from 1958 to 1997. Between 1983 and 1996 Meath and Dublin won all 14 leinster titles in a row with 8 leinsters for Dublin and 6 leinsters for Meath. Between 1984 and 1996 9 of the 12 leinster finals where between Meath and Dublin.

The most successful team of each decade, judged by number of Leinster Senior Football Championship titles, is as follows:
    • 1880s: 1 each for Kilkenny (1888) and Laois (1889)
    • 1890s: 7 for Dublin (1891-92-94-96-97-98-99)
    • 1900s: 6 for Dublin (1901-02-04-06-07-08)
    • 1910s: 6 for Wexford (1913–14-15-16-17-18)
    • 1920s: 5 for Dublin (1920-21-22-23-24) 4 for kildare 1929 28 27 26
    • 1930s: 3 each for Kildare (1930-31-35), Dublin (1932-33-34) and Laois (1936-37-38)
    • 1940s: 3 for Meath (1940-47-49) 2 for Dublin 1941 42, 2 for Louth 1943 48
    • 1950s: 3 each for Meath (1951-52-54) Louth (1950-53-57), and Dublin (1955-58-59)
    • 1960s: 3 each for Meath (1964-66-67) Offaly (1960-61-69), Dublin (1962-63-65)
    • 1970s: 6 for Dublin (1974-75-76-77-78-79)
    • 1980s: 4 for Dublin (1983-84-85-89) 3 for Meath 86 87 88 3 for Offaly 8081 82
    • 1990s: 4 each for Meath (1990-91-96-99) and Dublin (1992-93-94-95)
    • 2000s: 6 for Dublin (2002-05-06-07-08-09)
    • 2010s: 9 for Dublin (2011-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19)
    In summary Dublin dominated 5 decades and were unsuccessful only in two decades in 1880s and 1910.

Dublin always had a challenger since the foundation of the state 100 years ago , and that challenger since 1930s was mostly Meath. Some decades there was two challengers. The difference with the last decade was for the first time ever Dublin didnt have a rival or challenger in leinster in 100 years .Dublin always had a rival..or whoever was the dominant force in the provience at the time had a rival. This decade first time ever no rival since foundation of the state.
    1890s Dublin dominate
    1900 Dublin dominate
    1910 Wexford dominate
    1920 30s Dublin had Kildare and loais as a rival
    1940s and 50s Meath had Louth and Dublin as rivals
    1960s Meath had Offaly as a rival
    1970s Dublin had Offaly as a rival
    1980s Meath had Dublin as a rival
    1990s Meath had Dublin Kildare and Offaly as rivals
    2000s Dublin had Meath Laois and Westmeath as a rival
    2010s Dublin dominate and have no rivals

If you look at managers in leinster Dublin dominate here also, here are all the leinster winning managers. There has being 9 Dublin leinster winning managers, 2 Meath winnig manager, 2 Offaly winnig manager, 1 kildare winning manager, 1 laois and Westmeath winning manager

Leinster Senior Winning Managers

Seán Boylan Meath 8 leinsters 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2001
    Kevin Heffernan Dublin 7 leinsters 1974, 1975, 1976, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1985
    Jim Gavin Dublin 7 leinsters 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Paul Caffrey Dublin 4 leinsters 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Tom Gilhooley Offaly 3 leinsters 1971, 1972, 1973
    Eugene McGee Offaly 3 leinsters 1980, 1981, 1982
    Pat O'Neill Dublin 3 leinsters 1993, 1994, 1995
    Mick O'Dwyer Kildare Laois 3 leinsters 1998, 2000, 2003
    Pat Gilroy Dublin 3 leinsters 2009, 2011, 2012
    Tony Hanahoe Dublin 2 leinsters 1977, 1978
    Tommy Lyons Offaly Dublin 2 leinsters 1997, 2002
    Gerry McCaul Dublin 1 leinsters 1989
    Paddy Cullen Dublin 1 leinsters 1992
    Páidí Ó Sé Westmeath 1 leinsters 2004
    Éamonn O'Brien Meath 1 leinsters 2010

I did. Your quotes are there. Why else would you bring up the FAI or suggest that Dublin has something to hide?

I will ask you again. Do you have any evidence to suggest that Dublin has committed any wrongdoing? Do you have any evidence to suggest that Dublin and Bertie to defraud the public of millions of euros?

Ok, so we've sorted that I did not make any allegations.

We should have a look at where this all began. We have to go back to the 90's. Dublin had won an All Ireland in 1995 but then lost to Meath in 96 and 97, Kildare in 98 and Meath again in 99. Obviously, John Bailey and the Dublin County Board didn't like where this was going and pushed for funding. Bertie Ahern was in position to help them out. The 1 million of state funds per year was allocated from 2001. Including GAA money, Dublin were receiving from between 1.2 and 1.7 million per year throughout the naughties. At the same time period, some counties were only receiving 7,500 per year in games development funding with some getting just over 100,000 on some years.

Results stayed the same in 2000 and 2001, Dublin lost to Kildare and Meath respectively. In 2002 they won Leinster for the first time in 7 years but then lost to Laois in 2003 and Westmeath in 2004. The money allocated to underage structures had been making an immediate effect as Dublin had been getting good results at minor and u21. These players would start to emerge and were added to by more and more throughout the decade. The course of history was basically changed. When Dublin were competing without the money, they were still very competitive but Leinster titles were shared amongst many counties. When the money came in, the went on to win the Leinster championship in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

That's just the story of the funding for the first decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Sonny678 wrote: »
    The most successful team of each decade, judged by number of Leinster Senior Football Championship titles, is as follows:
    • 1880s: 1 each for Kilkenny (1888) and Laois (1889)
    • 1890s: 7 for Dublin (1891-92-94-96-97-98-99)
    • 1900s: 6 for Dublin (1901-02-04-06-07-08)
    • 1910s: 6 for Wexford (1913–14-15-16-17-18)
    • 1920s: 5 for Dublin (1920-21-22-23-24) 4 for kildare 1929 28 27 26
    • 1930s: 3 each for Kildare (1930-31-35), Dublin (1932-33-34) and Laois (1936-37-38)
    • 1940s: 3 for Meath (1940-47-49) 2 for Dublin 1941 42, 2 for Louth 1943 48
    • 1950s: 3 each for Meath (1951-52-54) Louth (1950-53-57), and Dublin (1955-58-59)
    • 1960s: 3 each for Meath (1964-66-67) Offaly (1960-61-69), Dublin (1962-63-65)
    • 1970s: 6 for Dublin (1974-75-76-77-78-79)
    • 1980s: 4 for Dublin (1983-84-85-89) 3 for Meath 86 87 88 3 for Offaly 8081 82
    • 1990s: 4 each for Meath (1990-91-96-99) and Dublin (1992-93-94-95)
    • 2000s: 6 for Dublin (2002-05-06-07-08-09)
    • 2010s: 9 for Dublin (2011-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19)
    In summary Dublin dominated 5 decades and were unsuccessful only in two decades in 1880s and 1910.

I'm not sure what your point is?

Nobody is denying that Dublin have been the most successful county in Leinster. The point I made was in response to the assertion:

"They will refer back to the late 90's and early 00's and say look how competitive it was. And they're right but thats the exception. Leinster has been dominated by Dublin and Meath with other teams occasionally challenging.

Whats happening now is one team has had a prolonged series of dominance. This does need to be addressed.

But lets depart from the fallacy that Leinster was always some sort of competitive gem in the Provincial structure"

As you have also now demonstrated, this is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Right. I thought this was about Leinster football. Didnt think I'd stumbled into the conspiracy thread, but there ye go. Looks like Mayo got a poor return on Enda being taoiseach judging by your line.

Got to go now. Dublin ladies kicking off now. Hoping Berties investment pays off today!!!

It certainly has paid off already going for 5 in a row having got to their first all Ireland final in 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Scoundrel wrote: »
    It certainly has paid off already going for 5 in a row having got to their first all Ireland final in 2003.

Get your facts right, it’s only 4 in row they’re going for

Scoundrel wrote: »

You do know that the GAA and LGFA are separate organisations? Funding is from different organisations. But hey, don't let that fact get in the way of a good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

You do know that the GAA and LGFA are separate organisations? Funding is from different organisations. But hey, don't let that fact get in the way of a good story.

The funding that's at the core of the discussion here is the Sport Ireland funding that began in the early 2000s and that was used to promote and develop gaelic games amongst boys and girls. But hey, don't let that fact get in the way of your story.

The funding that's at the core of the discussion here is the Sport Ireland funding that began in the early 2000s and that was used to promote and develop gaelic games amongst boys and girls. But hey, don't let that fact get in the way of your story.

Excellent, so we now realise it is for the development of Gaelic Games at primary school level., in schools and not at club level and not funding IC. Cheers, glad you cleared that up.

Excellent, so we now realise it is for the development of Gaelic Games at primary school level., in schools and not at club level and not funding IC. Cheers, glad you cleared that up.

:confused::confused::confused:

When did I ever say anything else?

It's quite simple:

1 - Substantial amounts of money from central funds were made available to Dublin, to promote gaelic games amongst boys and girls of primary school age, attract more of them to become involved, and provide better coaching to them after they became involved. This was done via both schools and clubs.

2 - The central funding immediately removed the need for Dublin County Board to fund any such initiative itself. This meant its own money could be spent in other areas, such as on inter-county teams.

3 - The investment in primary school children ten to fifteen years ago (via central funds, on a scale never before or since available to any other county) is now paying off handsomely on the inter-county scene, in both men's and women's football.

If you're really denying a link between the investment back then and the successes of today, then what you're actually saying is that the investment didn't work at all, and that therefore the money was wasted....which actually strengthens any argument that Dublin should never have got it at all.

:confused::confused::confused:

When did I ever say anything else?

It's quite simple:

1 - Substantial amounts of money from central funds were made available to Dublin, to promote gaelic games amongst boys and girls of primary school age, attract more of them to become involved, and provide better coaching to them after they became involved. This was done via both schools and clubs.

2 - The central funding immediately removed the need for Dublin County Board to fund any such initiative itself. This meant its own money could be spent in other areas, such as on inter-county teams.

3 - The investment in primary school children ten to fifteen years ago (via central funds, on a scale never before or since available to any other county) is now paying off handsomely on the inter-county scene, in both men's and women's football.

If you're really denying a link between the investment back then and the successes of today, then what you're actually saying is that the investment didn't work at all, and that therefore the money was wasted....which actually strengthens any argument that Dublin should never have got it at all.

There you go again, making assumptions. The monies involved were for the promotion of gaelic games in primary schools. They were not at elite athlete development. I am not sure how you measure success from it, but my guess is the numbers that were encouraged to take up gaelic games would be the best metric. Now how you measure that against which one go onto IC level we will never know. What I do know from coaching kids is that the ones who make IC level were already playing our games. The one encouraged were the ones we would as an association usually lose by way of lack of interest or following another sport.

Would you prefer that our games were not promoted? I am all for a games development plan to enhance playing numbers in other counties. Kildare were offered funding for GDO's and turned it down. Is that the fault of the GAA?

There you go again, making assumptions.

Am now doubly confused, so since I used three of the emojis the last time, here I go with six:
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The only thing you could possibly interpret as an assumption rather than an absolute fact in what I wrote above is where I said the investment in primary school age children ten to fifteen years ago is now feeding into the current day success.

So again - are you really claiming there's no link whatsoever between the two? When answering, please consider that even the ones who were already playing gaelic games would have benefitted from increased levels of coaching.

As regards promoting gaelic games in general - I've previously said that of course I'm in favour of it. I just think that if central funding is used for it, either from State sources or GAA sources, then it should be done in a fair and proportionate manner across the board, and not concentrated in any particular area.

It's not an anti-Dublin thing. I've also previously said I'd be opposed to a suggestion by somebody else here, several pages back, that " the GAA should now concentrate on other urban areas such as Sligo, Belfast and Drogheda". What about the rest of counties Sligo, Antrim, and Louth, and every other county too?

Even here in Wexford, I'm not fond of how the County Board makes greater coaching resources available to clubs and schools in Wexford town than they do to the rest of the county.

Maybe I'm unusual in that I care about the Association as a whole. Far too many others only really care about their own back yard.

Kildare were offered funding for GDO's and turned it down. Is that the fault of the GAA?

Any source for this nugget of info?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement