Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kachukas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

The only issue I see is the price of that camera, it seems very expensive for what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Thanks for feedback, no i don't really need a mic, don't really need record function either but the 2 current fixed cameras are set to record by default and i did'nt bother to mess with them, i presume the PTZ will record the same as the fixed cameras when it's routed back to the NVR?

One question i forgot to ask, the PTZ will be mounted in the middle of the shed which is about 20 feet away for the nearest fixed camera, can i simpy unplug the fixed camera and extend the POE cable as far as the middle of the shed?

If so is this what i'm looking for? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coupler-Abrity-Ethernet-Extender-Connector-Black/dp/B08XNN76K6/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3QPDGHY1PWRZU&keywords=POE%2Bcable%2Bextender&qid=1641413425&sprefix=poe%2Bcable%2Bextender%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-11&th=1

Any issues with loss of signal when using these?

Thanks.

I've spent a good while looking and can't seem to find better value.

The rest of my cameras are Hikvision with a Hikvision NVR and i've read reviews of other brand cameras losing some features when paired with a Hikvision NVR?

I'd probably need another 2 fixed cameras to cover the whole shed along with the two already up, think i can save on bandwidth by using a single PTZ to cover the whole shed.

I'm trying to fault find my camera setup, i'm receiving a "no video" feed on the dvr, i think the problem is the powerline adapter being used.

I did'nt install the system and i'm not up to date with netwoking and cameras so i'm learning as i go.

I have a pair of tp-link av600, one in the attic and one on the inside of the hayshed about 50m away, i'm thinking there must be interference between the two av600, do they transmit the signal via electrical wires or are they wireless boosters?

I've re-paired them and the wifi light is on on both the transmit and receiving end, but still no signal getting to the dvr.

Are the tp-link av600 the right thing to be using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Try your smartphone in the hay shed to see if it’s getting wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Are the tp-link av600 the right thing to be using?

No, they are not really suitable for use between buildings (and probably shouldn't be used for any permanent network anyway). They transmit over the powerlines. Any appliances/equipment with motors can really interfere with them.

A wireless bridge would be far more reliable, Nanostations are very popular and work over KM's but over 50M there are some cheaper options. Running a network cable is the most reliable option but not always practical.

Are the camera's wired network? or Wifi? or do they connect to the DVR directly with BNC video leads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We're looking for a camera for outfarm . It's 1 mile from our home yard and our house is in a hollow if that makes any difference. We want someone to supply and fit, what are our options?

Depends on the hollow.

Wireless Bridge needs line of sight, if that can be achieved using poles then that is one option.

3G/4G/5G are options depending on signal and speeds available.

Do you have power on out farm? Solar is an option but some compromises may be required depending on what sort of video quality you want to achieve.

We have power at outfarm. Camera would be in a shed

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, cameras are wired via POE.

Now I think of it I have cameras on the house as well they are wired direct to the router on the attic again via POE, but no signal from them either, maybe its a router problem as well?

If your Router is not working then surely you'd have no internet?

You hardly have a second router just for the cameras? But maybe you mean a switch? If so is it a POE switch or separate injectors? or POE provided from DVR/NVR. Check all of your connections and power supplies not uncommon for a PSU in a switch or POE injector to fail.

How is the POE connected in the sheds? via injectors? POE doesn't work over standard powerline adaptors.

Well that makes most options simpler.

If you can get line of sight wireless bridge would work, if not a 3G/4G/5G router will allow you to connect any type of camera system you like, if it's for calving use PAYG and only top it up when needed. Do you know what operators work well there?

Rebounders for all networks 20 metres from shed

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Hi Emaherx,

I have seen wireless bridge to work without line of sight, obviously at reduced performance. I just tested it out while fitting one. But it would be worth trying if easiest option, just get an over powered one, 10km.

I have too, but it's hard to recommend it without better idea of the topography. What works now could also suddenly stop come spring when the leaves return.

If you want good quality kit and are going with someone to supply/fit I'd go with someone installing Hikvision Cameras. Any good installer can supply 4G cameras and/or camera with a 4G router.

Technically professional CCTV installers are meant to be PSA approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Itryhard

Hi, I want to put in a calving camera and thought black Friday sales might spur me on. I have power in shed but WiFi is poor so thinking sim card option. Can folks recommend a package that's reasonable but not crazy money? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 freekerry

I have a few cameras on land , some on WiFi and some 4g. In my experience you compromise a lot on the 4g ones, lesser quality and features in return for 4g functionality. I would try sort out the WiFi or run an ethernet cable . But otherwise the reolink go pt 4g cameras are good, if you can sort out WiFi the reolink rlc 823a are the business . I use the 4g ones way out on the Farm, far from the yard, so that I can count cattle when grazing - I don't live there

Just to update, done a bit of routing yesterday and found the problem was the power supply to the router, i noticed the power light on the router were flashing on/off quickly, i dismissed it a few times thinking it was just light bleeding over from the wifi connection light that i thought was flashing because of receiving data if that makes sense.

I did'nt have a spare power supply with the correct plug, but i did have a spare router, plugged it in and away we go.

So thanks for that suggestion.

I will change out the av600 extenders for a proper system eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

What are these guys like to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Anyone use lyca network for data in router?

I recently signed up to them, have the sim in a mobile camera in a field. Prices very good, I had one question so I emailed support and took a week for them to reply but other than that was fine. U will need an unlocked phone cause u need to insert sim card in a phone to get the mobile number before using in router, and also need the phone to receive an sms with one time password for the lyca app.

I can't follow it at all.

Do I have to buy €5 topup and then add the €4.99 GB bundle. Or can I buy the bundle only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are static cameras better than ptz for an out farm where you'd be connecting via sim card?

Got a Hikvision ptz at home farm and it has a tendency to latch the directional command and spin 360deg.

Set up a few presets where you want the camera looking. Works a treat in poor upload areas.

Try to lower data use with h265+ compression

Ya u have to get both.. only after u get the 5 euro topup do u get the sms with your mobile number. But u have the 5 euro bundle from when u ordered the sim card , as far as I remember. But for sure u need to top up sim card to activate it. Its confusing

So it's really €10 per month and you have to put sim in a phone each time u top up to get the text with the top up.

I'll stick with my €20 three sim, If I have to drive to the outfarm 22km away and start messing with a phone when the data runs out.

No it's only the first time u need to add the 5euro and also only one time need to insert sim into a phone. It works OK once you get it up and running , and just top up on the app then as needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Advertisement