Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Question, my set up is as follows, couple of cameras in shed, they are hardwired POE to some sort of switch or router in hayshed, that switch/router then sends it via wifi to a router in attic of house which is then wired down to the dvr if that makes sense.

I can view cameras on tv or on the laptop or phone as long as i'm in range of the wifi in the attic, to view the feed on my phone is it just a matter of feeding the dvr an internet supply? or can i feed the router in the attic the internet supply.?

Sorry if that's confusing! i used to be sort of ok ish with electronics but lack of practice and i find myself a little lost.
    Thanks.
    When you say you view on tv, have you a smart tv?
    I’d like that option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I’d like that option

The TV is connected to the DVR via HDMI cable, i don't use it through the smart features on the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Question, my set up is as follows, couple of cameras in shed, they are hardwired POE to some sort of switch or router in hayshed, that switch/router then sends it via wifi to a router in attic of house which is then wired down to the dvr if that makes sense.

I can view cameras on tv or on the laptop or phone as long as i'm in range of the wifi in the attic, to view the feed on my phone is it just a matter of feeding the dvr an internet supply? or can i feed the router in the attic the internet supply.?

Sorry if that's confusing! i used to be sort of ok ish with electronics but lack of practice and i find myself a little lost.
    Thanks.

Does the "WiFi in the attic have an Internet connection?

Getting the DVR an internet connection would be the first step.
    Can be connected through existing WiFi access point or directly to DVR if it has a free LAN port or using a switch beside DVR if it does not.

After that there will be a small bit of configuring required on the DVR and/or phone. Impossible to know how much configuring will be required without knowing what DVR make or model. Could be as simple as turning on P2P on the DVR and scanning a QR code on the phone.

I’d like that option

It will depend somewhat on the Smart TV and and Camera System you go with. Plugging a DVR/NVR directly by HDMI is one option.

Some smart TV's may have a generic CCTV App or other App that can watch RTSP feeds from the cameras. A cheap android box is another option as you can just install the same phone app on them.

emaherx wrote: »
    It will depend somewhat on the Smart TV and and Camera System you go with. Plugging a DVR/NVR directly by HDMI is one option.

Some smart TV's may have a generic CCTV App or other App that can watch RTSP feeds from the cameras. A cheap android box is another option as you can just install the same phone app on them.

Thanks
    Might try a firestick so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Would an old router be suitable to use as a switch and be capable of powering 2 POE IP Cameras?

tvercetti wrote: »
    Would an old router be suitable to use as a switch and be capable of powering 2 POE IP Cameras?

No. (Not any router provided by ISP for home broadband)

It can be used as a switch or a WiFi access point but won't have POE capability. You could however use it along with some passive POE injectors.

If using an old router as a switch or access point along with another router being used to connect to the internet then be sure to turn of DHCP on the old router.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSeaMall-Passive-Ethernet-Injector-Splitter/dp/B076LR5KMF/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=poe+injector+12v&qid=1612334164&sprefix=poe+in&sr=8-6
    A set of these per device you'd like to power by passive POE along with the devices original power supply will allow you to power the camera over the ethernet cable. (If the camera supports passive POE then you'll only need one half of the kit)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

I saw where you could download the PC viewer program onto usb and load to tv from that, but my tv couldn't see anything on usb. Is the android tv box the cheapest/ easiest option if dvr not near tv. Aslo I dont have a dvr, in case anyone thinks you need one to view a camera

pms7 wrote: »
    I saw where you could download the PC viewer program onto usb and load to tv from that, but my tv couldn't see anything on usb. Is the android tv box the cheapest/ easiest option if dvr not near tv. Aslo I dont have a dvr, in case anyone thinks you need one to view a camera

You definitely can not load any PC program onto a TV unless that TV has the Windows operating system or a PC attached.

You don't need a DVR unless you have analog cameras. An NVR is the IP camera equivalent and not a requirement for IP cameras but can add some useful features.

A cheap android box is probably the cheapest and simplest solution. Unless your TV or it's app store already has a CCTV app and your camera manufacturer has provided the details required for generic apps such as the RTSP streams.

Official Android TV's and boxes may be slightly more difficult than the cheap unknown brand boxes, as they don't officialy support the mobile apps, there is a work around called side loading. The cheap boxes really only run a modified tablet OS and will load any mobile or tablet version of an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

You definitely can not load any PC program onto a TV unless that TV has the Windows operating system or a PC attached.

You don't need a DVR unless you have analog cameras. An NVR is the IP camera equivalent and not a requirement for IP cameras but can add some useful features.

A cheap android box is probably the cheapest and simplest solution. Unless your TV or it's app store already has a CCTV app and your camera manufacturer has provided the details required for generic apps such as the RTSP streams.

Official Android TV's and boxes may be slightly more difficult than the cheap unknown brand boxes, as they don't officialy support the mobile apps, there is a work around called side loading. The cheap boxes really only run a modified tablet OS and will load any mobile or tablet version of an app.

Ok, thanks for all the info.

Another question! Viewing your IP camera on 4G v wifi.
    Have a Hikvision IP that was fine last year, different router this year, no access on 4G now. I know how to get camera IP address but lost after that. Thought P2P solved all those problems. Get very confused with port forwarding, DDNS etc. Friend has same problem, new NVR, company had his old cameras to sort settings, new router and ISP, even with them talking to each other it's not sorted for him, any help greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

pms7 wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for all the info.

Another question! Viewing your IP camera on 4G v wifi.
    Have a Hikvision IP that was fine last year, different router this year, no access on 4G now. I know how to get camera IP address but lost after that. Thought P2P solved all those problems. Get very confused with port forwarding, DDNS etc. Friend has same problem, new NVR, company had his old cameras to sort settings, new router and ISP, even with them talking to each other it's not sorted for him, any help greatly appreciated.

P2P should sort everything once the camera can reach the internet.

Can you access the camera locally using it's IP address?

If the camera has a static IP for example then moving it to a new router using a different subnet would prevent it from reaching the internet.

If you can access the camera then log in and make sure P2P is enabled, it's called Platform Access on Hikvision camera's. Can be found under Network/advanced settings menu.

However if it was setup without P2P previously. Then the port forwarding option would have been used but some 4G operators will block this as they use CGN (carrier grade NAT) which means you share an IP address with other users, which could be the issue with your new router/sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

And we are live :D

What distance from the camera can you see L.C. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I only have it in a small shed 15ft x 15ft but works perfectly in night mode in it.

If you are concerned about the night vision range in a larger shed, then leaving the lights on, or even installing a smart switch is an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

So I have picture on my TV, I have a tonto DVR and tp link router which is connected to a Vodafone dongle. I scanned in the qr code but I cant access it through the net, any suggestions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Audio-1920P-IP-WLAN-%C3%9Cberwachungskamera-Funk-Outdoor-CCTV-PTZ-Smart-Home-IR-Nacht/392988198489

I ordered 2 of these to replace my cheap and nasty cctv system. Decent specs and the app to use them has reasonable enough reviews. I'll probably connect one using a nanostation to where my 4g router is, hopefully the other one will link via WiFi to the outdoor router that covers most the yard here.

Got them bang on a week later, very easy to setup, decent app, and good quality image. Only minor downside is I need to move the camera or else the outdoor wifi repeater, I got 3bars where the camera is but it still drops out too frequently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got them bang on a week later, very easy to setup, decent app, and good quality image. Only minor downside is I need to move the camera or else the outdoor wifi repeater, I got 3bars where the camera is but it still drops out too frequently.

Stuck in a wifi camera the weekend and its agreat job except its absolutely killing the broadband.lets just say the customer complaints department in the family has been overwhelmed the past couple of days.as a compromise we are plugging it out during the day but we ll have to get better broadband id say

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I got a kuwfi outdoor wireless access point (2 pack 900mbs 1km range ) cost £62.99.
    And a
    Foscam fi9928p 1080p qifi camera i thinknit was e300 or so.
    ( my links don't work for some reason)
    A few bits of cable. I've a cat 5 cable from the WiFi bridge to the router in d home house. Poe.
    In d shed cat 5 from bridge to camera ( i decided wired is better than wireless) plus all new electric installation.
    All installed in about 2 hours, maybe 30 min getting set up on phone going.
    Absolutely excellent picture in shed.great picture quality.
    Cows calving at d moment and it's great. I've a moocall also.

K.G. wrote: »
    Stuck in a wifi camera the weekend and its agreat job except its absolutely killing the broadband.lets just say the customer complaints department in the family has been overwhelmed the past couple of days.as a compromise we are plugging it out during the day but we ll have to get better broadband id say

Shouldn't be killing your broadband, unless you have them recording to a cloud service?

Should be no network traffic at all unless you are viewing or recording the streams over the network.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    So I have picture on my TV, I have a tonto DVR and tp link router which is connected to a Vodafone dongle. I scanned in the qr code but I cant access it through the net, any suggestions??

What app does that DVR use?
    Might need to turn on a setting in the DVR "cloud service" or "P2P"

• Advertisement

I got a kuwfi outdoor wireless access point (2 pack 900mbs 1km range ) cost £62.99.
    And a
    Foscam fi9928p 1080p qifi camera i thinknit was e300 or so.
    ( my links don't work for some reason)
    A few bits of cable. I've a cat 5 cable from the WiFi bridge to the router in d home house. Poe.
    In d shed cat 5 from bridge to camera ( i decided wired is better than wireless) plus all new electric installation.
    All installed in about 2 hours, maybe 30 min getting set up on phone going.
    Absolutely excellent picture in shed.great picture quality.
    Cows calving at d moment and it's great. I've a moocall also.

What is the issue with posting links?
    you don't know how?
    or boards won't let you?

I think you've only recently passed the threshold for number of posts to be allowed post links. You can PM me if you need help on this.

What app does that DVR use?
    Might need to turn on a setting in the DVR "cloud service" or "P2P"

RXCamView

Just realized how bad I’ve gotten
    Net gear GS305P switch, AV600 to-link and a reolink 4MP Poe camera arrived
    Just putting all together before installing in the shed
    I’d like to add more cameras (when funds are available)
    What would be a good app to use to view the camera stream
    Do I need anything else to setup?

RXCamView

It should be straight forward when using an app with QR code?

Are you sure DVR has an internet connection?
    Is it the right app?

Are you are scanning the right QR code? some times there is one on the box to download the app, and the one to configure might be on the bottom of the DVR or else on screen in the menu for enabling P2P.

Just realized how bad I’ve gotten
    Net gear GS305P switch, AV600 to-link and a reolink 4MP Poe camera arrived
    Just putting all together before installing in the shed
    I’d like to add more cameras (when funds are available)
    What would be a good app to use to view the camera stream
    Do I need anything else to setup?

Use their own APP on Android, iPhone Phone or PC

What are the AV600 for? they may be unreliable if you have a long run between them depending on the wiring between router and switch.

Obviously you need cables to link everything.

It should be straight forward when using an app with QR code?

Are you sure DVR has an internet connection?
    Is it the right app?

Are you are scanning the right QR code? some times there is one on the box to download the app, and the one to configure might be on the bottom of the DVR or else on screen in the menu for enabling P2P.

I have the dongle connected to the router and router connected to the DVR iykwim, a code seems fine

Use their own APP on Android, iPhone Phone or PC

What are the AV600 for? they may be unreliable if you have a long run between them depending on the wiring between router and switch.

Obviously he you need cables to link everything.

Thanks
    Using the AV600 to feed the switch which is connected to the camera
    Downloaded the Reolink app & can view while on the network but not when on 4g

I have the dongle connected to the router and router connected to the DVR iykwim, a code seems fine

and you have tested the internet from the router with other devices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Having second thoughts here about a wired connection from shed into house as it might just be too much work.
    How resistant are the wifi bridges to getting scrambled by thieves trying to block the network?
    Also, how secure are they in comparison to a wired connection?

Advertisement