Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Having second thoughts here about a wired connection from shed into house as it might just be too much work.
    How resistant are the wifi bridges to getting scrambled by thieves trying to block the network?
    Also, how secure are they in comparison to a wired connection?

Not very resistant to signal Jamming, not very many consumer level products ever are. Even wireless security systems which have claimed to be have been proven to be fairly weak in this department.

How secure is WiFi in general? Most Camera's will support the same levels of encryption as your average home router. As for wired how secure is your average home network?

The biggest security issue with most home CCTV is not the WiFi or the Wired connection but is the methods of remote viewing. Especially with the likes of P2P. How secure are the servers being used, they don't have a good reputation just like the manufacturers of many home IOT devices.

Farmers Journal article from 2017, they mention default passwords, but likely that poor security from P2P providers is also an issue.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/listen-farmyards-under-threat-from-online-cctv-systems-240955

I got rid of my old DVR as the app was eating the battery on my phone and it seemed quite heavy on data, would make you wonder what was going on in the background. I got a Hikvision to replace it, but I'm leaving the P2P turned off and I'm using a VPN to view on my phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

emaherx wrote: »
    Shouldn't be killing your broadband, unless you have them recording to a cloud service?

Should be no network traffic at all unless you are viewing or recording the streams over the network.

Yeah i think you could be right but i havent figured it out .i ll look into it tonight P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Okay - got the security lights sorted around the shed so next task is these cameras.
    I think Hikvision is the route I'll go, but I'm struggling to find a decent price on them as they seem to be trade-only. I'm VAT registered so I would have thought that would have helped.

I can cover the majority of the shed with a single PTZ. I can leave the exterior security cameras for another time during summer, but need to get this one up ASAP.

So, I'm looking for:
    Hikvision*
    PTZ
    IP camera
    POE
    Audio

* Really just need a recognised brand with a neat interface and maybe a TV app (but not necessary). Most installs seem to be Hikvision, so that'll do me.

What and where should I be looking for this? How little can I get away with at this stage? I presume I could just run a cable from house to shed straight into camera and worry about the network switch and NVR at a later date?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Looking for some advice here.
    I need a lambing camera for a shed, power there but no broadband. Good phone coverage on the 3 network.
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I need a lambing camera for a shed, power there but no broadband. Good phone coverage on the 3 network.
    Any recommendations?

You could buy a 3 router with the Ethernet ports to supply a POE switch to feed the camera(s)

• Advertisement

You could buy a 3 router with the Ethernet ports to supply a POE switch to feed the camera(s)

Thanks for that, Hard Knocks but I haven't a clue about any of this stuff.
    Could you put up a link to these so I'd know what I'm looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Maybe a stupid question , but is there any reason why a 'powerline' adaptor wouldn't work to bring wifi from the router in the house out to the shed?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=powerline+network+adapters+wifi&qid=1614627504&s=computers&sr=1-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Okay - got the security lights sorted around the shed so next task is these cameras.
    I think Hikvision is the route I'll go, but I'm struggling to find a decent price on them as they seem to be trade-only. I'm VAT registered so I would have thought that would have helped.

I can cover the majority of the shed with a single PTZ. I can leave the exterior security cameras for another time during summer, but need to get this one up ASAP.

So, I'm looking for:
    Hikvision*
    PTZ
    IP camera
    POE
    Audio

* Really just need a recognised brand with a neat interface and maybe a TV app (but not necessary). Most installs seem to be Hikvision, so that'll do me.

What and where should I be looking for this? How little can I get away with at this stage? I presume I could just run a cable from house to shed straight into camera and worry about the network switch and NVR at a later date?

Thanks.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Audio-1920P-IP-WLAN-%C3%9Cberwachungskamera-Funk-Outdoor-CCTV-PTZ-Smart-Home-IR-Nacht/392988198489?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=5282-53468-19255-0&campid=5336834714&toolid=10001&customid=61111X1383796X8046ece5b2db5c9ab0353ef51cdad696

I'm getting on well with these, very simple to setup and it's been very reliable so far.

onrail wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question , but is there any reason why a 'powerline' adaptor wouldn't work to bring wifi from the router in the house out to the shed?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=powerline+network+adapters+wifi&qid=1614627504&s=computers&sr=1-3

Distance most likely will be an issue. Depends how far away the shed is.

Power line adapters are a bit of a black art at the best of times and are often unreliable within the house. If you have some try them but I wouldn't rush out to buy them over a wireless bridge solution.

• Advertisement

I have one of them ordered for a shed with no power that I will use for this year. I'll be moving sheep in bunches to the main shed as they get closer to lambing so I was thinking of putting together a set up with possibly a ptz camera.
    I don't have a clue what I need to order to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

onrail wrote: »

Not great even in extension onto house. Use a wireless link, they work well.

https://www.novatel.ie/long-range-wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Any recommendations?

What broadband have you in house?
    distance house to shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

I have one of them ordered for a shed with no power that I will use for this year. I'll be moving sheep in bunches to the main shed as they get closer to lambing so I was thinking of putting together a set up with possibly a ptz camera.
    I don't have a clue what I need to order to make it work.

If you don’t know what you are doing (same as I didn’t) then a 4g Reolink is fool proof (make sure it’s a 4g camera). Should cost around 230 for the camera with solar charger. Maybe cheaper without the solar but you will need to charge the camera twice a month or more depending on use.

It does also mean adding a SIM card with a data plan. I think the cheapest in Ireland is around 11 a month.

It’s plug and play really. Fool prof to set up as long as the sim has the pin turned off

So, I'm looking for:
    Hikvision*
    PTZ
    IP camera
    POE
    Audio

Thanks.

App for TV might be an issue depending on your current TV. Android TV or box and install the phone/tablet App. (Not straight forward on official Android TV devices, requires side loading). Other Smart TV's may have a generic CCTV app but may not control PTZ functions.

You've no need for NVR or the POE switch, but obviously need to power it some way, either a socket beside the camera or a POE injector, sometimes the injector is included.

893bet wrote: »
    If you don’t know what you are doing (same as I didn’t) then a 4g Reolink is fool proof (make sure it’s a 4g camera). Should cost around 230 for the camera with solar charger. Maybe cheaper without the solar but you will need to charge the camera twice a month or more depending on use.

It does also mean adding a SIM card with a data plan. I think the cheapest in Ireland is around 11 a month.

It’s plug and play really. Fool prof to set up as long as the sim has the pin turned off

Not a clue! I have one of them on the way, the same as you got. I have power in the other shed so was thinking of doing a more versatile job. Perhaps I should just order a second one of the same.

pms7 wrote: »
    What broadband have you in house?
    distance house to shed?

No broadband as its an outside farm. Have good coverage on the 3 network.

Not a clue! I have one of them on the way, the same as you got. I have power in the other shed so was thinking of doing a more versatile job. Perhaps I should just order a second one of the same.

There is a PTZ version too.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Security-Camera-Go-PT/dp/B08793V6VZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=reolink+4g+camera&qid=1614634131&sprefix=reolink+4g&sr=8-3

But if you want a separate router, it's fairly simple too. Don't let the POE switch talk confuse you too much. If you want to avoid them then you just need to provide power to the camera with a conventional power socket.

That would mean two separate data plans if you get a second one of the 4g. Like someone said a router and mobile plan would work...if you knew what you were doing. I didn’t and went the easy option. “48” will send a free sim out and you have a 7 day trial before you have to start paying. It’s a real trial also. Not one where you have to sign up to get the 7 days and then cancel it. If after the 7 days are up and you haven’t signed up to pay it just stops working.

Looking at how much data mine uses it really is feck all. As it only uses when I log in as not recording or anything like that.

If there was a decent pay as you go option where you didn’t have to pay x amount per month just to keep it active then that would be a good option.

No broadband as its an outside farm. Have good coverage on the 3 network.

48 uses that network and will be far cheaper than 3 for a data only plan.

• Advertisement

Lyra mobile seem to have a 5 er a month plan for 3gb data. That would go a long way if it works with the camera and you have coverage

App for TV might be an issue depending on your current TV. Android TV or box and install the phone/tablet App. (Not straight forward on official Android TV devices, requires side loading). Other Smart TV's may have a generic CCTV app but may not control PTZ functions.

You've no need for NVR or the POE switch, but obviously need to power it some way, either a socket beside the camera or a POE injector, sometimes the injector is included.

Current TV is a newish LG TV - but that is barely on the list of requirements. I just seen someone on here talking about it and thought that would be nice.

Really looking for a steer on the MP, focus, zooms, etc and branding. I remember from looking at cameras the MP etc was all dependent on the size of the chip. Not sure if these are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

It pays to look around for cameras. The guy that's installing mine was quoting me £520 for this camera. I picked it up online from cctv direct for exactly half the price plus the VAT. It's 4 MP and X20 zoom, so should cover the shed well.
    Just need to get two P2P's and a bit of CAT5 and I should be good to go for the weekend.
    545561.jpg

Hikvision are the cream of the crop but definitely reflected in the price.

HiLook from Hikvision are worth a look as they are nearly half the price and really only missing the input/outputs for integrating into large security command centre type installations.

Foscam are also worth a look, cheaper than Hikvision but popular in the domestic type installations.

The MP is just the density of pixels available on the sensor. A 1MP sensor will be about 720p and a 2MP sensor will be around 1080p.

Optical Zoom on a 2MP sensor will out perform digital zoom on a 4MP sensor, (in a live feed)

It pays to look around for cameras. The guy that's installing mine was quoting me £520 for this camera. I picked it up online from cctv direct for exactly half the price plus the VAT. It's 4 MP and X20 zoom, so should cover the shed well.
    Just need to get two P2P's and a bit of CAT5 and I should be good to go for the weekend.
    545561.jpg

Do you have the model of that one?
    From what I've been reading the 4 series Hikvision can work on POE but the bigger ones require an injector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Do you have the model of that one?
    From what I've been reading the 4 series Hikvision can work on POE but the bigger ones require an injector.

4MP DS-2DE4425IW-DE(S5) 25 × IR Network Speed Dome

The Hikvision DS-2DE4425IW-DE(S5) is a 4 megapixel PTZ featuring AcuSense technology. AcuSense technology uses a deep learning algorithm to detect human and vehicle targets, accurately improving target classification, alarm, and linked tracking.

With the 25x optical zoom lens and a focal length of 4.8mm to 120mm, this PTZ is able to cover expansive areas with excellent image detail. As well as featuring the DarkFighter technology and an IR range of up to 100 meters the DS-2DE4425IW-DE(S5) also uses WDR, HLC, BLC, 3D DNR, to combat difficult light scenarios.

The IP66 rating provides users with the assurance of a weather and dust proof device.
    £273.09
    £327.71 (inc. VAT)

I was recommended the DS-2DE4225IW-DE. £305 inc VAT.

Alongside that one I notice an external microphone is required. Audio makes the system much better so I'll not be installing without it.

The Hikvision DS-2DE4225IW-DE is a 2MP PTZ camera with a 4.8mm - 120mm lens that allows optical zooming up to 25x. This camera has infra-red LEDs that are effective up to 100m and also works in ultra low light environments by using a range of image enhancing features: wide dynamic range (WDR), highlight/back light compensation (HLC/BLC), 3D digital noise reduction technology (3D DNR) and electronic image stabilization (EIS).

The DS-2DE4225IW-DE is suitable for external applications with IP66 rated weatherproof housing and the option to connect external microphones or speakers. It is also fitted with a range of smart features to further improve security such as motion detection, intrusion detection, line crossing detection and object removal detection.
    • Full HD 1080P real-time video
    • 25X optical zoom, 16X digital zoom
    • 4.8 - 120mm
    • Up to 100 IR distance
    • IP66
    • H.265+ compression
    • 3D intelligent positioning
    • 120dBWDR
    • True day / night
    • Hi-PoE (18W) / 12VDC
    • Comes with DS-1603ZJ bracket

TBH - doesn't seem to be much difference between them - although yours has a higher max resolution.

Do you all install an external mic with your cameras or not - or do you have an integrated mic in your cameras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thought some people might want some update on the cheap nano stations that were recommended a few months back. I'm still using them anyway, I'm not sure if I set them up properly though. They do work ok most of the time but the signal does drop off at times. I think I may need to set up a bridging network or something for it.

But for the most part it works fairly well.

• Advertisement

Do you all install an external mic with your cameras or not - or do you have an integrated mic in your cameras?

Reolink 4g ones have sound built in. You can also talk through it.

I enjoy going “moooo” occasionally and watching the cow twist around wondering what’s going on.

Have also seen my dog in there near a newly born calf looking for calf ****e or cleaning (dogs are such scum....and we let them lick us!) and have called him and he was very confused

Advertisement