Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Wow, wouldn't have expected it to go past 350k, they've done a really great job on the inside but its still a terraced house without even a front yard to seperate it from the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

You could say the same thing about The Rochestown Road or Lover's Walk.

You could say the same thing about a lot of roads, but unlike Lovers Walk or Rochestown rd, the houses on the lower rd tend, in general, to be closer to the roadway. Also because of the closeness of houses or walls to both sides of the road, speeding traffic noise tends to be magnified.

May not bother some people but it wouldn’t be for me. Particularly not at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Mav11 wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about a lot of roads, but unlike Lovers Walk or Rochestown rd, the houses on the lower rd tend, in general, to be closer to the roadway. Also because of the closeness of houses or walls to both sides of the road, speeding traffic noise tends to be magnified.

May not bother some people but it wouldn’t be for me. Particularly not at that price.

It's probably not for everyone but neither is suburbia and having to drive everywhere. It's probably more suited to younger people who want quick access to town and not really worry about traffic.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    It's probably not for everyone but neither is suburbia and having to drive everywhere. It's probably more suited to younger people who want quick access to town and not really worry about traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I think that they did a fabulous job on the house and as I said in a previous post, it doesn't seem like anything cheap went into it. While the location does have its advantages it has its problems, also referred to previously. Its just that at €380k I think a purchaser could do better!

Absolutely, I live in a similar place myself for the last few years, terraced city house, walking distance to everything and its very handy for the social life but half the attraction was a cheap mortgage and its not someplace id want to stay forever. 380k is a very high price point for that market of people, however someone is willing to pay it I guess. Sign of the times.

• Advertisement

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Absolutely, I live in a similar place myself for the last few years, terraced city house, walking distance to everything and its very handy for the social life but half the attraction was a cheap mortgage and its not someplace id want to stay forever. 380k is a very high price point for that market of people, however someone is willing to pay it I guess. Sign of the times.

Depending on where on where one works, what makes this house more affordable is probably the need not own a car. Cars are in most people's cases, the next biggest expense after a house. €380k ain't cheap but the need not to own a car is quite alluring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The house was launched at too low a price to generate click bait articles and interest, which has worked and kudos to them for it.

That being said , you could buy a similar house in a similar area without the work being done for reasonable enough money. But you would need to know what you are at tackling a renovation in a period home.

The garden is nice and everything but you need to be really careful with refurbs. Have they upgraded insulation , has ventilation been thought of, and signs of rising damp etc. The finishes on the house are nice though, clearly alot of thought put into the decor and style

Depending on where on where one works, what makes this house more affordable is probably the need not own a car. Cars are in most people's cases, the next biggest expense after a house. €380k ain't cheap but the need not to own a car is quite alluring.

I don’t believe that living here or indeed most places would negate the need for a car. Public transport isn’t the greatest in Ireland and for simple things like the weekly shop how are you going to drag things say from Merchants quay or Paul st particularly in bad weather? If you have kids getting them to school or training etc. There are still too many occasions when a car is needed and if you don’t have a car, life could still be very limited in Ireland.

Mav11 wrote: »
    I don’t believe that living here or indeed most places would negate the need for a car. Public transport isn’t the greatest in Ireland and for simple things like the weekly shop how are you going to drag things say from Merchants quay or Paul st particularly in bad weather? If you have kids getting them to school or training etc. There are still too many occasions when a car is needed and if you don’t have a car, life could still be very limited in Ireland.

Mrs cycles home everyday from the Mercy, she does it all the time in all weathers, She hasn't melted yet. We're always passing shops and pick up what we need, that's the beauty about so close to the centre, you don't have to do weekly shops. There's also the option of delivery.
    Irish people always over inflate how bad the weather is, it's grand. What Irish people need to do is get a good coat and deal with it. I lived in Gothenburg for a while and people cycled in the worst of weather all year round, thing is they wore clothes that catered for the weather. Lots of kids doing the same, kids in Irish schools are mollycoddled being dropped to the front door of schools.
    Lots of options now available now to use a car whenever you want and not own one, ie, gocar. Attitudes are changing, I know plenty of people who are now middle aged who've never owned a car, especially friends in Dublin.

€380k ain't cheap but the need not to own a car is quite alluring.

Not sure i really get your argument there, the same could be said for any house in the city.

• Advertisement

Mrs cycles home everyday from the Mercy, she does it all the time in all weathers, She hasn't melted yet. We're always passing shops and pick up what we need, that's the beauty about so close to the centre, you don't have to do weekly shops. There's also the option of delivery.
    Irish people always over inflate how bad the weather is, it's grand. What Irish people need to do is get a good coat and deal with it. I lived in Gothenburg for a while and people cycled in the worst of weather all year round, thing is they wore clothes that catered for the weather. Lots of kids doing the same, kids in Irish schools are mollycoddled being dropped to the front door of schools.
    Lots of options now available now to use a car whenever you want and not own one, ie, gocar. Attitudes are changing, I know plenty of people who are now middle aged who've never owned a car, especially friends in Dublin.

Lovely idea, I'll grant you that. I would love if it were so. I think it really depends on the stage of life that a person is at, their ability to be able to cycle or walk is a factor, among other things.

I would also consider that the satisfaction of the need for a car, by Gocar, taxi or even delivery, to be simply another form of ownership, which has to a limited extent displaced traditional ownership. It is ownership nevertheless.

The extent to which these new forms of ownership will displace traditional ownership will really depend on utility and cost/benefit analysis. Among many scenarios which could be examined, consider this on the cost side. You are at a stage of life where you buy a home in the centre of a city and get rid of the car. Five years on, you decide to move or buy a holiday home in west Cork for which you need a car. You rock up to your insurance company for a quote and they tell you sorry sir but you are a first time insurer and as that you will pay an astronomical amount for the next 5 years. This is one of the hidden costs of giving up car ownership.

Gothenburg is probably better geared than we are here in Ireland for carless living. I'm currently living in Dublin, in walking distance of the Luas, the Dart and the most frequent bus route in the country the 46a. I can cycle to st. Stephens green in 15mins but I still need a car. Kids needing to be driven to matches all over the county, picked up from discos at midnight:(, family or friends needing to be brought to or from a hospital appointment, plenty of journeys to Cork:)etc etc etc. I could go on.

So as I said lovely idea, but it really depends on the stage of life that you are at, how wide or narrow your social sphere / responsibility is, as to how practical or desirable going carless is in Ireland today.

Probably is a discussion for a different forum but..................!

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Not sure i really get your argument there, the same could be said for any house in the city.

Not every house in the city is close to the train and bus station and within walking distance of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

For a similar price in Shandon, a much bigger place & also I'd argue a much nicer spot to live than a busy road.

9 Church Street, Shandon, Co. Cork
    6 Bed
    3 Bath
    218 m²

opus wrote: »
    For a similar price in Shandon, a much bigger place & also I'd argue a much nicer spot to live than a busy road.

9 Church Street, Shandon, Co. Cork
    6 Bed
    3 Bath
    218 m²

Actually did a viewing there a while back, its been on the market since September. Its a fine big space, loads of potential. Think the estate agent said they were aiming to get around 370k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

Ballincollig are getting ahead of themselves, I see this went up today, just over 100k more than it sold for in 2018. Almost half a million for a typical housing estate four bed house!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/11-the-avenue-coolroe-heights-ballincollig-cork-p31-dk38/4502001

And its overlooked substantially at the rear, that would be a huge turn off for alot of people.

Spideoige wrote: »
    Ballincollig are getting ahead of themselves, I see this went up today, just over 100k more than it sold for in 2018. Almost half a million for a typical housing estate four bed house!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/11-the-avenue-coolroe-heights-ballincollig-cork-p31-dk38/4502001
    I think the ballinglanna 4 beds are tipping 390-400k . So it seems to be the market is moving to 4 bed being over 400k , but this is way over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wow that's just bananas. Massively overlooked (which you expect in an estate but this appears to be particularly bad), small inside, tiny garden with no back or side entrance as well as what looks like communal parking out front. €330k for that!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wow that's just bananas. Massively overlooked (which you expect in an estate but this appears to be particularly bad), small inside, tiny garden with no back or side entrance as well as what looks like communal parking out front. €330k for that!

As long as there are ejits willing to pay it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

I think the ballinglanna 4 beds are tipping 390-400k . So it seems to be the market is moving to 4 bed being over 400k , but this is way over that.

In fairness, that's for the Semi-Ds in Ballinglanna. The 4 bed detached are 500k and above depending on size.

Saying that, I'm always amazed at the price points for Ballincollig. Some crazy prices. Although at least that place looks like it needs nothing done to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

I have been hearing about affordable homes in cork and recently saw a banner on blarney street. Is it real and is there a way to apply for one? I searched on cork co co sites but could not get info.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

Footoo wrote: »
    In fairness, that's for the Semi-Ds in Ballinglanna. The 4 bed detached are 500k and above depending on size.
    Yes the 4 bed detached are hovering around 480k & 500k in ballinglana, not sure if they still have LIHAF grant of 20k.

A friend recently purchased a new 4 bed detached in whites cross for 440k. A bit steep price IMO. He got 400k mortgage approved, so he is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

SummerK wrote: »
    I have been hearing about affordable homes in cork and recently saw a banner on blarney street. Is it real and is there a way to apply for one? I searched on cork co co sites but could not get info.

Probably the lotabeg development, I'd imagine the 223k price for a 3 bed is pie in the sky stuff now

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40138637.html

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

A house in bishopstown started at 435k, now at 485k, gone up 20k overnight 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Which house is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Which house is that?

House in firgrove gardens bishopstown

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

And if the current market is anything to go by, it will sell for another 30 or 40k above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

House in firgrove gardens bishopstown

Wow! Pretty sure that house has been up for a good while too. Since January at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

435k is a shocking price for that. So outdated looking. You’d need 100k to bring it up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

After being on the market for a couple of years this has now gone sale agreed up the road from Firgrove https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-24-kenley-crescent-westgate-road-bishopstown-co-cork/1440174

Advertisement