Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

Don't know much about the area but I was trying to understand why they've not included it. 4 Bedrooms and just one bath as smaller 80-90sq mtr unit have 2 these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Lovely house here in The Fairways in Little Island for €380k. This is a nice park of large, luxurious, detached, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom family homes. The houses have attached garages, and cobble locked driveways, with nice large front & back gardens, and a large communal green in the middle of the park.

Walkable to a variety shops & Eastgate Retail Park, 300m from Little Island commuter rail station & bus corridors, and easy access to the ring road, and to the tunnel, south ring & the new dunkettle junction when it opens. That's a lot of house for your buck!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/13-the-fairways-little-island-cork/4635706

New phase @ Elmbury Carrigtowhill launched today.

3-Bed Semi (113 Sq.m) @ 350k

4-Bed Semi (121 Sq.m) @ 380K

4-Bed Detached (170 Sq.m) @ 500K

Prices have gone up by 15k in the last 3 months for the Semi-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mrs_J

Eh, if only they will have trouble selling at that price at Elmbury, maybe, just maybe Heathfield prices won't jump. We will see soon enough...

I recall Heathfield prices were 390k & 440k for 3 & 4 beds respectively in the last phase. I guess today's booking at Elmbury might give them some direction, however, I think prices will go up by 10k as this is the time that most money can be made.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shared equity in play now too so developers can throw on another 10-20k easy.

Heathfield new phase was launched today- 3-Bed Semi @ 400k and 4-Bed Semi @ 450k. An increase of 10K since the last phase launched in April 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

En-suites need all the plumbing , vents, electrics and tanking of a full bathroom , you’re adding cost, more again if they are supplying tiling, ware, vanity etc. so yeah, if it’s affordable it doesn’t need an en suite.

I don’t get the love of en-suites anyway. Why would I want a toilet right next to where I sleep? Prefer people empty their bowels a bit further away tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SarahPL

Thoughts on a North-West facing garden??

We are second time buyers looking to size up, we have found a property that ticks all the boxes except for the fact that garden faces North-West. Our current house has a small garden, and it’s one of the key reasons we are moving, we have two small kids and want a larger outdoor space for them. Hoping since it’s North west it might get slightly more light than if it was fully North? We went to look at it at 1.30pm last week and it had lots of sun in garden but it wasn’t reaching the kitchen/dining room, not sure if it would at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Totally agree with you. That was prob the reason they had the jacks in a shed outside the back door years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dunit

what would the reasoning for this house being priced at this level? Seems bit on low side for a detached. Would this be a flood risk area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Those houses in that row flooded 8 or 9 years ago I think, when there was serious flooding in Cork in general, nothing since. They put in a double speed ramp at the entrance to aid protecting the houses after the flood. With all the work going on clearing culverts etc in Glanmire I wouldn't be too worried about it flooding again to be honest, but getting insurance could be an issue.

It's a nice area, very short walk to the 2 primary schools and Glanmire Community College. Gaa club around the corner etc, well located in fairness.

New phase @ Castle Heights, Carrigaline launched today. 

3-Bed Semi (120 Sq.m) @ 375k

4-Bed Semi (145 Sq.m) @ 420K 

4-Bed Detached (188 Sq.m) @ 540K

Prices have gone up by 15-20k in the last 5-6 months. Good progress IMO as I recall a friend of mine bought a 4-Bed semi for €355K Q4 last year which is not delivered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭crayon80

Look at picture 4 - they're trying so hard to make the garden look bigger they've turned the car into a stretch limo lol

I'd be painting over that red wall with the face on it too

€320k seems high but I assume it's because of the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Your guaranteed rent with students so if you average 600 a room per month you get a yield of 6.75% which supports the price

Very few buy to rent in that area any more as the dedicated student accommodation comes on board. That will be bought by a family, as most of the houses in that estate are now. I am not sure there are any students in there. Same with Tiffany Downs next door, either young professionals renting or families, but again new houses being bought by young families as they are relatively affordable and in a good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sarahc25

Does anyone know whats happening with thr development in Cloughduv..River Meadows. By the GAA pitch? When are they supposed to be ready?

€280k for a 4bed in Ballincollig, that's good value in this market. Even if it is a duplex.

The other end of the scale.. who in their right mind valued this at €1.25m 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

The price looks crazy considering the inside looks like it's from the 70's.

It's a stone's throw from CUH, and walking distance from UCC and MTU, has 5 bedrooms and a very decent garden. Rental on it would be a mental price so it'll easily go for asking or very close to it.

I wouldn't spend it myself tho if I'd that kind of money for a house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's almost literally on the grounds of CUH. Probably a 3 minute walk to the door of the outpatient's department, with parking and a large garden. It's across the road from a primary school and very near a secondary school. It's also an area that's a nightmare to commute to, so I'd say it would be incredibly attractive to anyone working at CUH, whether a family or renting out the rooms separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Yep, you could almost tarmac the front garden and rent out parking spaces. Staff parking in CUH can be an absolute nightmare, I know a lad who lets his friends daughter park in his drive, about 5 mins walk down Wilton road and she says unless the weather is horrendous, it's much quicker and handier than parking in the staff areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Priced as a development play. Kilconor, the house next door, of similar vintage and scale, was knocked 10 years ago and replaced with four of those very large neo Victorian revival manshoons beloved of certain Cork suburbs, shoo-horned in so they almost form a terrace. This site, though shallower, could comfortably host three similar million plus plus monsters. As previously pointed out the location is ideal for the high rollers associated with CUH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wab0607

A family member asked my opinion on this property. She's relocating to Cork and plans on viewing it next week. For the price it seems ok to me, like there isn't too much to do, just make it her own cosmetically? Anything else I'm seeing online in this price range for 3 bedrooms in the area seems to need a lot of work or has a low BER and an upgrade or refit wouldn't be for her. Any thoughts on whether it might go over asking?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-9-ardfield-view-grange-douglas-co-cork/4265956

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Looks from the ad like it’s been a rental property so I’d be looking thoroughly at the less obvious maintenance side rather than cosmetics. It superficially looks fine but you’d never know what it’s like under the surface.

I can’t guess as to whether it would go over asking or not, but it’s very small, terraced with no side access, and deep into a large housing estate in a busy area, which wouldn’t be attractive features to a lot of people, so it’s probably not too likely to go over asking. Grange used to be regarded as rough around the edges, but I don’t know if that has changed in recent times (and it was a relative perspective, for sure).

In any case, the only thing she can reasonably do is go visit and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wab0607

Thanks @Faith. Good point, but I'm assuming any underlying issues would show up on a survey. Know what you mean about Grange but I knew someone living in another part of this development, probably why I was asked for opinion on this, and Ardfield has always struck me as quite nice and well laid out. I do like the idea of this place facing onto a big green. Think it's probably the price and location that's appealing to her, that and being close to amenities. The lack of side access is a pity, don't know if it'll put her off. Main reason I was asking about price going over was I believe she was watching this one below and got a shock when she saw how much it went sale agreed at - nicer house downstairs granted.

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/2-the-mews-westgrove-donnybrook-cork-t12-eyd8?utm_source=auctioneera&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Forget the house. I reckon it’s all about the site. This is a sub-divide opportunity in a good location. Jump to the Eircode on Google Maps, switch to satellite view, and you’ll see it’s a huge site - the write-up says it’s .13ha. Notice that it appears that some of the adjoining sites have already been sub-divided.

Advertisement