Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭crayon80

Guys ye are absolutely right. It's definitely the location (location, location 😁) which is in fairness superb. I was hung up on the thought of THAT much for THAT house. But I guess it's in line with the crazy overpriced market we have.

It's perfectly liveable and needs updating rather than renovating so as a home you'd be in €1.5m+ ballpark. But sure if you're a consultant in CUH... 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I lived in two different houses in Ardfield in my renting years - I found it a really safe, quiet area, lots of families and kids. Both houses that I lived in were very solidly built and warm also - unusual for houses built in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wab0607

Thanks @rain on . Have heard similar re the warmth of the houses here. Can only be a good thing these days. Appreciate the feedback.

Anyone here have any thoughts on Fionn Laoi in Ballincollig in general and on this house on the market now? It's not for me, but a relation of mine who asked me my opinion. The proximity to the green space at the end of the row and the fact that the house has a number of security cameras on it would be red flags for me but I am not too familiar with the area. I am also aware of the concerns about flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Any reason a house like this doesn't have any bids yet? It's been on that site for a week now.

I'm a complete noob at house hunting, have really only started and I've no idea what to look out for. But something is fishy. Seems like a grand house for a grand price.

Post edited by JackieChang on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Not clear from the wording but possibly for sale with tenants in situ at a significantly below market rate rent?

Also 55 sq metres is tiny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's very small (55 sqm is smaller than an average 2bed apartment), it's in a state of significant disrepair (broken cabinets, mould in the bathroom, probably needs the entire interior ripped out, possibly wiring upgraded), there's no rear garden (it shares a back wall with another house), it's right next to a large carpark which makes it risky for kids playing outside, and the adjoining house looks very rough around the edges so it would make you wonder who lives there. And, as has been said, there's an active tenancy in place so it might be difficult to evict them to move in yourself.

For the amount of work and cost you'd need to put in, you'd be better off looking at a property like this: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-21-sheares-park-glasheen-road-glasheen-co-cork/4253491

Still needs total renovation, but significantly bigger and has a large garden so you could extend the house in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

And gutted inside, the ceilings, what can be seen of them look very iffy too

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

How are the flats in Atkins Hall and River Towers?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

Janeville has released a new phase of 2/3 bed semi's and I guess they would have sold all of them by now like hotcakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Janeville larger 3-bed 3-bath have gone from €320k in phase 1 to €395k in latest phase. 23% increase over nearly 6 years. Is this high/low/middling?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Does anybody know how much the 3 bed mid-terrace houses in Ballinglanna are going for? I emailed Sherry Fitzgerald but didn't hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

The number of new properties for sale on daft is increasing almost every day and it appears developers want to sell asap.

Also, it appears castle heights are going to launch their last phase next week, while the previous phase was launched last month. Pretty quick I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭crayon80

Guys I am ridiculously fascinated by photos on this

6 bed house but no pics of bedrooms

Would they not put away the shopping bags from Boots before taking photos?

Ditto the ironing board and why is there what looks like a book on it?

I'd have cleared off the kitchen table too. And turned off the tv (can't figure out what they're watching either) 😂😂

Seriously though if they're paying the auctioneer for pictures they're being seriously ripped off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Could well be rented and the auctioneer wasn't allowed into the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Very strange as well that they didn’t blur out the license plate on the car in the driveway

Thoughts on this? Separate apartment downstairs so could be a decent investment opportunity with the new office blocks on horgan's Quay - walking distance to the city.

Price a bit on the high side perhaps

What would you folks pay for a 2 bed apartment, not gound floor, close to a bus route, with a balcony, secure parking, at least BER c3, in the city-ish? (Ballincollig, Douglas, and everywhere in between) Am I kidding myself waiting for something around 250,000 or less?

Something like this, which doesn't even need a bus route actually.

Apartment 18, River Gold, Cork City, Co. Cork is for sale on Daft.ie

And if it does exist, should I expect a bidding war up to 300,000 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

I think that’s a lot of house in a great location…not on the high side at all to my mind.

Those penthouse apartments in Jacobs island look nice , but how the hell are you supposed to heat this place up? I'd say it'd take 10 hours of heating for the chill to go from the room.

There's two teeny radiators under the windows. Actually more like glass walls not windows. And another in the corner. Bills must be sky high there. Anybody here lived in that penthouse before? They seem to pop up on daft a lot for rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

No experience of that apartment, and renting is lower risk, but Jacob's island will continue to flood through McHugh park so I wouldn't buy there. We know sea levels are rising, it's in a tidal zone in the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Do they have a BER rating? They might be very well insulated!!

Not sure about the specific building you were looking at, but the park has flooded a couple of times in the last 5 years. I have some friends living in there who have sent me videos of water pouring into McHugh park and onto the street from Lough Mahon (the estuary).

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

No experience of the building but heard reports a few years back that the area around them is home to a large number of rats.

Alright I've added another Condition onto my buying list. Must be on a hill.

What sort of limit should I be putting on BER rating during the search? At what threshold does it just become ridiculous. Is a BER of D1 or D2 terrible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

To my mind D1; D2 while not terrible is not great. E,F or G are terrible! I'm currently looking at a house which has been recently renovated but is only a D2. Its a pity that the energy rating wasn't upgraded when they were doing the renovation. Still I wouldn't dismiss it because of the energy rating, however it will be reflected in any offer that I might make.

To me anything in the C or B brackets is ideal, whereas I think that you're getting into requirements that I don't want to go to when you're in the A rated bracket.

All my own opinion of course!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Elmbury up to 365k for the 3 bed semi on the next phase. Quite the increase from the original 290k they were. Shared equity scheme really helping house prices......for the developers.

• Advertisement

BER rating is pretty meaningless. I wouldn't limit yourself on it at all. The types of light bulbs in the building, and the rating of white appliances makes a difference in the BER ffs. You don't get either of those in a purchase. Honestly a decent engineers report is much more useful, and you should get this on any property you are going to bid on. A BER isn't invasive, and you can see most/all of what they report on with your own eyes when you view. Double glazing, insulated attic, a draft lobby (porch), chimneys.

A lot of it seems to be subjective. The BER survey people choose ratings from an application with drop-down lists. This is subjective, based on their best guess of wall insulation or window ratings in some cases. I've had a BER done on the same property by two different people, with a whole letter difference.

Also, two houses in the same park , identically built facing each other can have very different real-life energy usage based on the orientation of the windows. Solar gain etc.

I think maybe decide yourself in principle whether you are happy to take on a fixer-upper, or whether you want a place you want to walk into and not touch for a decade.

Advertisement