Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I can't see it. I'd be in a relatively sought after area, prices still are what they were in 06, albeit close enough. 15 years of even average 2% inflation would give actual growth of 34.5%, I know 06 was the peak and was over priced, but even so those prices could possibly be the norm today, I can see houses rising for the next 5 years min. The country is not on its knees and in a very strong position to rebound strongly

I was looking around there. This is gone sale agreed. Can see Examiner article says it had offer of at least asking. It is weird but I can see an argument for why 595k is not crazy for that area like. Again I dont know what it sold for. And look in absolute terms it is big money but for the area and what people pay. I just am not sure it screams hey everyone stop buying like mcwilliams says

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-6-lake-lawn-well-road-douglas-co-cork/2917336

I'd imagine whoever bought that is trading up and likely sold their previous property for a proportionately decent amount.

What transactions go through when supply is very limited and demand is decent will of course not shout agreement with mcWilliams' comments.

It'll be 12 to 24 months before you'll know if he's anyway correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I was looking around there. This is gone sale agreed. Can see Examiner article says it had offer of at least asking. It is weird but I can see an argument for why 595k is not crazy for that area like. Again I dont know what it sold for. And look in absolute terms it is big money but for the area and what people pay. I just am not sure it screams hey everyone stop buying like mcwilliams says

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-6-lake-lawn-well-road-douglas-co-cork/2917336

600k to sit in traffic everytime you come or go from the house.
    I know that area would be a dream for a lot of people and I'd be in the minority, but I really couldn't live there.

.red. wrote: »
    600k to sit in traffic everytime you come or go from the house.
    I know that area would be a dream for a lot of people and I'd be in the minority, but I really couldn't live there.

The well road is one of the best addresses in the city, however I agree, for 600k I would rather go to waterfall and get a taxi to town for the few times I go out for drinks there

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

Has anyone looked at the Arbutus development in Montenotte? I know it is really a prime location but starting price from 610k and ranging upwards of 720k seems crazy money. I also see that the designer of this development are Murphy New Homes? Nothing against Murphy New Homes but I wouldn't consider their developments as architectural masterpieces and there's just something about the look of these that I don't like.

No doubt there'll be plenty of takers all the same.

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/arbutus-montenotte-montenotte-co-cork/1424519

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Spideoige wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at the Arbutus development in Montenotte? I know it is really a prime location but starting price from 610k and ranging upwards of 720k seems crazy money. I also see that the designer of this development are Murphy New Homes? Nothing against Murphy New Homes but I wouldn't consider their developments as architectural masterpieces and there's just something about the look of these that I don't like.

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/arbutus-montenotte-montenotte-co-cork/1424519

I grew up around St Lukes, must say it is a fabulous area. Have to agree that I’m not keen on the look or the price of this development. Seems to me that a little more imagination could have been used in the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine & his partner went to have a look, said the views were superb but they baulked at the price & given they have a dog didn't like the lack of a garden. Probably means they were just tyre-kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Really ugly, overpriced, cramped and in a rubbish location.

Who would want one that can afford 600k.

Some wonderful older houses in the area, Gardiners hill, Military hill etc. You could do a lot with the change out of €600k + to upgrade one of these!

Really ugly, overpriced, cramped and in a rubbish location.

Who would want one that can afford 600k.

I would disagree that it's a rubbish location, not for everyone but it's my favourite area I've ever lived in and having been pushed out to the suburbs the last number of years I'd be really keen to move back to somewhere like this.

I suppose for the developer the site is probably restricted and this is the easiest way to get the biggest profit on the site. Wouldn't be much like this coming up I would assume as most city centre development would be pushing for a higher density.

• Advertisement

Nice area but seems expensive. I wouldn't be paying that kind of money for what they are offering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

The well road is one of the best addresses in the city, however I agree, for 600k I would rather go to waterfall and get a taxi to town for the few times I go out for drinks there

I agree about the Well Road, its just not my cup of tea.
    I also agree about Waterfall, I've family there and it ticks all my boxes. I'd just be hoping I'm not near the oxegen factory in case there's another explosion lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

When these first went on the market I enquired about them and they started at 720k. So they’ve actually gone down in price. If you take a look at my home.ie there’s a price drop.

Great location but I just don’t really get what the target market is. They are quite big so would suit a family but what family would want a house without a proper garden? I reckon they are finding them quite hard to sell. Murphy’s are very well known for one off houses but seem to be building estates now too along with whatever developer they are working with. They are building Barter’s Wood in Tower too. Also an estate in Kanturk. Wouldn’t be surprised if the price dropped even more for Arbutus tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Love St Lukes as an area. Would love to live there

Lia_lia wrote: »
    When these first went on the market I enquired about them and they started at 720k. So they’ve actually gone down in price. If you take a look at my home.ie there’s a price drop.

Great location but I just don’t really get what the target market is. They are quite big so would suit a family but what family would want a house without a proper garden? I reckon they are finding them quite hard to sell. Murphy’s are very well known for one off houses but seem to be building estates now too along with whatever developer they are working with. They are building Barter’s Wood in Tower too. Also an estate in Kanturk. Wouldn’t be surprised if the price dropped even more for Arbutus tbh.

I am a bit shocked that they thought they would get 720 starting for these, I think people are right, there's far too many cons for that amount to bother with this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are awful looking. What a bizarre development, who buys a 4 bed house with no kids, considering there isn't any garden? If I spent 700k on a house I'd atleast expect my door to be more than 3ft away from my neighbours.

rob316 wrote: »
    They are awful looking. What a bizarre development, who buys a 4 bed house with no kids, considering there isn't any garden? If I spent 700k on a house I'd atleast expect my door to be more than 3ft away from my neighbours.

Yeah exactly! I just don’t really understand who would buy them. They look like somewhere you’d put someone on a corporate trip that needs to stay in the city for a few months. They probably would have done better building fancy apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not in the market currently (and couldn't afford the price), but I'd happily consider those if I could.

They're seriously large (each of the 3 floors is about the size of my apartment, hell I've probably stayed in smaller than just the master bedrooms). South facing deck, river views. A lot to like, IMO.

Two bed terraced house in Blarney for 275k. Crazy market! Check out this property I found using Daft: https://www.daft.ie/14217204

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RINO87

Two bed terraced house in Blarney for 275k. Crazy market! Check out this property I found using Daft: https://www.daft.ie/14217204

My eyes!! All that pine paneling, good grief!!

275...... wow. I think we are going to follow McWilliams advice and bow out for a while. It looks like that house has been recently tidied up and an office added to capatilise on the current frenzy. You'd never see that money again if you bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I did a double take at that listing as well - wondering if it was a typo or something! All that wood inside is so dated looking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RINO87 wrote: »
    My eyes!! All that pine paneling, good grief!!

Ha, reminds me of a house I lived in in St. Luke's.
    Even the ceilings were paneled!
    It was like living in a sauna, except it wasn't very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

I'd say there is all manner of nightmares hiding under that panelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RINO87

...and it only has one bedroom! Are they classing the extension, or the shed out the back as the second bedroom?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Lol

That is the ugliest house I have seen in ages. Not even the excessive lighting can salvage that exterior.

The views are lovely but not 1.8m lovely and not worth living in a wooden box with some sort of corrugated industrial roof for. What kind of architect madman designed this.

Plus no bus to town or any amenities for a 20miles, your children would hate you. Even just on holidays.

whatever76 wrote: »

That's some ugly house. Imagine what you could have built on that site with 1.8m and views like that! The cladding is rank.

That's some ugly house. Imagine what you could have built on that site with 1.8m and views like that! The cladding is rank.

I imagine it took far less than 1.8m to build it! In terms of design or construction it doesn't seem to have anything going for it. An ugly concrete box.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2M :eek: ****ing hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Jeez, I'd say the cladding would be a nightmare to maintain in years to come. Awful yoke and for €1.8m to boot!

Advertisement