Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

RINO87 wrote: »
    Saw that today too, when I googled the address it got interesting. As well as showing the last sale as 145, there's an article about the owners getting a windfall tax refund that they had not expected of 32 grand due to the living cities initiative. Now on sale for 295, and will go for more.

The owners have done a lovely job on the house, and the living cities initiative is really one of the better ones that should be pushed a lot more, but............

Double your money in five years. What bubble?

A lot of money put into it over the years. Nothing cheap there. Wouldn't think the original investment has doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RINO87

Mav11 wrote: »
    A lot of money put into it over the years. Nothing cheap there. Wouldn't think the original investment has doubled.

Yeah, it is a really nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Lovely house here and not a bad price for the work gone into it. Will sell for a lot more surely. https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-118-lower-glanmire-road-co-cork/3199582

kitchen is fab !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

RINO87 wrote: »
    Saw that today too, when I googled the address it got interesting. As well as showing the last sale as 145, there's an article about the owners getting a windfall tax refund that they had not expected of 32 grand due to the living cities initiative. Now on sale for 295, and will go for more.

The owners have done a lovely job on the house, and the living cities initiative is really one of the better ones that should be pushed a lot more, but............

Double your money in five years. What bubble?

Just found the article. Looks like one of the owners is an engineer. They did a great job. That living cities initiative is brilliant alright. Very few people seem to know about to. Lots of houses in areas on the map that could be done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lovely house here and not a bad price for the work gone into it. Will sell for a lot more surely. https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-118-lower-glanmire-road-co-cork/3199582

That looks lovely.
    But...
    There's 51 photos and not a single one of the front of the house.
    What's the story there?

Edit. Found it on maps. Nothing wrong with the front of the house but there is nothing attractive about that part of that street.
    Central location, though.

That property is cheap because people don't seem to value city centre property in Cork. If that was in an estate somewhere, it would go for twice the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That looks lovely.
    But...
    There's 51 photos and not a single one of the front of the house.
    What's the story there?

There's no story I'm sure, just click on street view below and you'll see it.

leahyl wrote: »
    There's no story I'm sure, just click on street view below and you'll see it.

I did.
    It just seems extremely odd to include 51 pics but forget the front of the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

That looks lovely.

That property is cheap because people don't seem to value city centre property in Cork. If that was in an estate somewhere, it would go for twice the money.

Id imagine it’s up at that price to grab the people who’s saved searches only go to 300k ... I’d say they’d be hoping to get closer to €350k and if the current market is anything to go by, that will be no bother.

That area has traditionally been seen as a fairly grim place to live, but with the regeneration of the doclklands, Macurtain St etc, it should be more desirable, but not sure if that’s the case in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I remember reading about that house in the paper & it was what got me onto that Living City scheme for my own place. Looks very good in the pics.

As people say not a great area, a friend of mine used to live in Myrtle Hill Terrace further on toward Tivoli & she mentioned that she always used to cycle a bit faster whenever she had to pass through. Will improve I'm sure with all the new developments in the docs but I'd be slow personally to live on such a busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I've just moved from Mahony's ave, just around the corner the house on LGR. Loved Mahony's ave but it's a colourful area to say the least. Some great neighbours, but also some unsavoury locals. I know there was stabbing on the road a few houses away from the 1 above, it wasn't even in the news even do I know the victim reported the assault and possibly the attackers were identified. Also, lots of "hostels" in the area. It wouldn't be strange to see an ambulance in the area tending to an overdose.
    Lots of potential with the area but an open mind would be needed to live there. Saying that, LGR road might not be as busy in the future with potential new access roads to the city, it could be a great area to live.

• Advertisement

The area just before you turn onto Water Street - a row of colourful terraced houses on the right hand side coming from Tivoli (rockview terrace??) - pretty "eventful" there, many a garda car I saw outside them and news reports of drug busts and such.

It's a nice house but I don't think I'd like to live on Lower Glanmire Road.

I did.
    It just seems extremely odd to include 51 pics but forget the front of the house!

True, I guess, although I've seen it a few times believe it or not! - not the 51 pics, but no pic of the front of the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

Does anyone have some info on the older brick building just past the Anglesea St Garda station ?. If you google 11 Anglesea St you should get an image. I think the building has a plaque which says St Matthew and Annes I think. It is a lovely building and I would be interested in some history and current/future usage.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11+Anglesea+St,+Ballintemple,+Cork,+T12+A6XF/@51.8949687,-8.4649984,3a,75y,67.11h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6VXcTK9l6SVyx3n9bzTN3Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x48449005b5f4917f:0x7e83fb3ffc64836e!8m2!3d51.8951346!4d-8.4646606

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Does anyone have some info on the older brick building just past the Anglesea St Garda station ?. If you google 11 Anglesea St you should get an image. I think the building has a plaque which says St Matthew and Annes I think. It is a lovely building and I would be interested in some history and current / future usage

Sts Joachim and Anne's

https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/20508384/s-s-joachim-and-annes-asylum-anglesea-street-cork-city-cork-city-cork

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40142075.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20395182.html

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Listing price has increased to 330k now.

Kerry25x wrote: »

Must be a lot of interest in the place.

Kerry25x wrote: »

Now under offer at €380k.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/residential/arid-40282088.html

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Really nice house and not surprised at the price. Agents doing a bit of messing on asking prices. See a lot of people talking about how much a house has gone over asking but so many are blatantly priced down to get more people interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

What a ripoff.

• Advertisement

What a ripoff.

I still wouldn't like to live there, at half the price!

Great renovation of the house and it looks brilliant but the location is not great, and with property location is nearly everything.

Great renovation of the house and it looks brilliant but the location is not great, and with property location is nearly everything.

It's extremely central.

Plus, traffic can move extremely fast on that stretch of the road.

I used to live very close to here. I worked in Carrigtwohill and the Mrs worked in the Mercy, we found the location fantastic. I drove the car to Carrigtwohill but that's all I really drove for, walking and cycling suited all my other needs. A stone throw from town and never really ever got a taxi home. Never really drove to Dublin either with the train station across the road. Lower Glanmire rd will get quieter too in the future with other access roads to the city. It could be a very shrewd buy.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I used to live very close to here. I worked in Carrigtwohill and the Mrs worked in the Mercy, we found the location fantastic. I drove the car to Carrigtwohill but that's all I really drove for, walking and cycling suited all my other needs. A stone throw from town and never really ever got a taxi home. Never really drove to Dublin either with the train station across the road. Lower Glanmire rd will get quieter too in the future with other access roads to the city. It could be a very shrewd buy.

What other access roads are coming? Where that house is, the cars will be coming out of the city not going into it.

What other access roads are coming? Where that house is, the cars will be coming out of the city not going into it.

I saw in a recent announcement for new cycling infrastructure that there is to be new road called Horgan's road cutting across the train station yard, the road on Horgan's Quay is to be developed into a recreation area. Also, if ever the new bridge connects to Monahan road across the river. It's all pie in the sky stuff but it could mean a potentially quieter road on lower glanmire road.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I saw in a recent announcement for new cycling infrastructure that there is to be new road called Horgan's road cutting across the train station yard, the road on Horgan's Quay is to be developed into a recreation area. Also, if ever the new bridge connects to Monahan road across the river. It's all pie in the sky stuff but it could mean a potentially quieter road on lower glanmire road.

Yes, but the lower road will still be there? Is the plan for this Horgans road to be two way? Anyway, as you say, all very much pie in the sky at the moment.

Yes, but the lower road will still be there? Is the plan for this Horgans road to be two way? Anyway, as you say, all very much pie in the sky at the moment.

Not sure yet but I imagine so. MacCurtain street layout will be completely change soon enough, it will be a lot harder for cars to get to lower glanmire road, especially from the Mallow side. This will somewhat make lgr a bit quieter.

• Advertisement

Plus, traffic can move extremely fast on that stretch of the road.

You could say the same thing about The Rochestown Road or Lover's Walk.

Advertisement