Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague taking over some of my work

Options
  • 23-11-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in an admin position and part of my role is travel coordinator for our European offices (albeit not right now due to COVID) but I've found out that a colleague of mine is taking over the management of this and I was wondering the best way to handle this. Should I ask for additional work instead of this or how should I tackle this with my Manager?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aine1981

Hi SallyAnn 1
    I would ask your manager what the plan is now for your workload? If this work is moved will you get new tasks and if not what is the plan to fill the capacity you might have now?

Its best to ask as there could be many reasons for this change and there is no harm in asking.

Rgds
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 25,467 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s pretty poor, especially in the current climate that they are telling you that they are removing work from your portfolio without saying why, without demonstrating or imparting what impact this will be having on your day to day employment..

I’d send an email, asking along the lines of what Aine suggested above....

1) what is the catalyst for this work being removed?

2) what impact do THEY envision this having on your employment

3) is there other work to replace it.

Get it all in writing as opposed to a chat over the water cooler or office chat even.

Also can I ask, approximately how many hours per week do you spend doing this work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I would definitely address it, there is a possibility that they are looking to make you redundant. However how they have done it is incorrect and leaves them open to a wrc case. Your job has to be made redundant not you yourself - ie they cannot pass it onto anyone else and then make you redundant. If another person was doing the same job as you they could however let one go and keep the other doing "more" of the same work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

SallyAnn1 wrote: »
    (albeit not right now due to COVID)

Not right now - and likely not ever again like it was.

Even when travel is freely allowed again (maybe 2022), people have now demonstrated they can do their jobs without travel. Companies ain't going to spend on travel the way they did before.

Your job is changed, whether you like it or not.

Pick up the phone, and ask your manager what the plan is.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

Keep your CV updated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Saralace wrote: »
    Keep your CV updated

Perhaps your colleague is taking over managing it ( rhe department/or you) but the role you (used) do remains unchanged in principle. Either way you must be twiddling your thumbs all day - I’d ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I sent my manager an email last Wednesday with my concerns and asking for clarification, I haven't received any response as yet, I'll raise it again next week. I feel frustrated by her lack of response.

I want the response in writing, currently I'm not doing that work but I used to spend maybe 5/6 hrs a week on it. Probably a little more. It wasn't a huge part of my day but it's listed on my job spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Your job has to be made redundant not you yourself - ie they cannot pass it onto anyone else and then make you redundant.

That's not really the case. They cannot hire a new employee to do your work and then dismiss you claiming that it's a redundancy, but if workloads in general change (which can happen for any number of perfectly valid reasons; changes in volumes of work, automation of processes which improve overall efficiency, etc.) and the work previously being done by a few people could now easily be handled by just a couple, then one of those people could be made redundant as a result. An employer isn't obligated to keep three full-time employees on indefinitely when they're each actually doing ~20 hours a week of work just because at the time they were hired their primary tasks happened to take 40 hours a week to complete, and that's no longer the case. Reassigning tasks to make the most efficient use of staff is perfectly fine, even if it does mean that some of those employees might end up becoming redundant as a result, as long as the selection of who is made redundant is conducted in a fair manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

SallyAnn1 wrote: »
    I sent my manager an email last Wednesday with my concerns and asking for clarification, I haven't received any response as yet, I'll raise it again next week. I feel frustrated by her lack of response.

I want the response in writing, currently I'm not doing that work but I used to spend maybe 5/6 hrs a week on it. Probably a little more. It wasn't a huge part of my day but it's listed on my job spec.

Pick up the phone and ring your manager, you need to have an actual conversation or a schedule a Zoom meeting for clarification.

Email is good for a written record however as no reply I would have my suspicions that you may be made redundant.

This is serious and you need to rattle a few cages, escalate to HR or go over your Managers head.

Id get the CV up to date and start job searching as a back-up.

Advertisement