Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Cartoon Ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

The Simpsons. In its day it was top of the pile. It was quotable - the number of memes that have come off Homar. There was a time (a long while ago) when people, me included, looked forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Simpsons.

A large amount of cartoons that aired after 1990 would not exist without the Simpsons and it is the most quotable show in history.

Looney toons is great but it is essentially a cheap gag kids show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

This is tough but have to go with simpsons . First few seasons were super

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Looney Tunes - because I think you could still get kids to sit & watch old episodes even now. Whereas simpsons might look a bit dated & wouldn't have the same appeal.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looney Tunes - a better array of characters, longevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Looney Tunes ; consistent quality throughout its run, its timeless, fun for all the family, and over two thirds of The Simpsons' entire run has been piss poor so we shouldn't reward that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,420 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Looney Tunes

Family friendly fun that young and old can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Looney Tunes
    It was more consistent, the Simpsons had more bad episodes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That swung quickly! :eek:

It's not the warner bro's intro i like, its the Metro Goldwyn with the lion that I was thinking of :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Looney Tunes.
    Simpsons was must-watch TV back in the day but if I see a modern episode nowadays I just change the channel straight away.
    You can't go wrong with LT. I grew up with Daffy and Bugs, Foghorn Leghorn and Marvin the Martian etc :).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Looney Tunes.

Consistently good. Unlike the Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Simpsons. The first 10 seasons were the height of television. The jokes were clever and good story lines to boot. Looney Tunes have that nostalgia feel but other than that nothing special really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oh look at all the hipsters pretending LT is better. You guys are worse than people who pretend to hate salt & vinegar taytos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭davetherave

Looney Toons, yes the Simpsons was great growing up and probably did pave the way for so many animated shows that have come on since then, and equally has influenced society in general but given the choice of a random Looney Toons or Simpsons episdode I'd rather go with the Toon Squad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Looney tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

The Simpsons because they redefined modern animation and having a pile of dross after they jumped the shark dosen't take from them anymore than any other art is effected by the Sick boy decline.

Sick Boy:
    It's certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    What do you mean?

Sick Boy:
    Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed...

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    Some of his solo stuff's not bad.

Sick Boy:
    No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just ****e.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    So who else?

Sick Boy:
    Charlie Nicholas, David Niven, Malcolm McLaren, Elvis Presley...

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    OK, OK, so what's the point you're trying to make?

Sick Boy:
    All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    What about The Untouchables?

Sick Boy:
    I don't rate that at all.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    Despite the Academy Award?

Sick Boy:
    That means f*** all. The sympathy vote.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is that it?

Sick Boy:
    Yeah.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton:
    That's your theory?

Sick Boy:
    Yeah. Beautifully f***ing illustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

At it's peak The Simpsons represents the pinnacle of TV comedy. I have to pick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Looney Tunes advances to the Final

This is why dying young is important and they should have killed the Simpsons years ago.

• Advertisement

Vestiapx wrote: »
    This is why dying young is important and they should have killed the Simpsons years ago.
    It is like watching a beloved relative lingering on and deteriorating as a vegetable on life support.
    They should have pulled the plug years ago.

It is like watching a beloved relative lingering on and deteriorating as a vegetable on life support.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

South Park

south-park-season-13-title-screen.jpg

First aired: 1997
    Core characters: Stan Marsh, Kyle Brovlovski, Eric Cartman, Kenny McCormack

VS

Tom and Jerry

TomandJerryTitleCardc.jpg

First aired: 1940
    Core characters: Tom Cat, Jerry Mouse

Vestiapx wrote: »

Everyone should be euthanized at 45 :D

Yes but it shouldn't demish their earlier vibrant life, It will though as demonstrated so adeptly by the wisdom of crowds in this game.

Tom & Jerry. Its the nutz. Good stories, Good animation. Not entirely pc but ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Very similar battle to the first one, but South Park doesn't have the dramatic decline of the Simpsons, and T&J don't have the variety of Looney Tunes, which has a wider character set.

So South Park for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    South Park

For previous reasons stated

The humour, characters and speed of production in line with current events. Also cos it's my nom :D

Both great but South Park for me. One of the rare cartoon series that actually got better over time.

You will respect my authoritaw :cool:

• Advertisement

Tom & Gerry - for the nostalgia & because it didn't even need to be filled with jokes & punchlines. You could have 2 or 3 minutes straight with nothing said, just them chasing into each other smashing the gaf up & it was still so entertaining

Advertisement