Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Cartoon Ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Tom & Jerry ; I'm more likely to stick on a few episodes of Tom & Jerry than I am South Park. Nothing against South Park, I just really enjoy the timelessness of Tom & Jerry, its something kids and grown ups can both enjoy, and its just good fun.

Honestly, I've just been on an "anything but the Simpsons to win" buzz for the past few rounds, no matter what happens now, I'll be happy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Purgative wrote: »
    Everyone should be euthanized at 45 :D

Speak for yourself, I want to live forever :pac:
    Dying is one of my biggest fears. Not the pain, just lights out, curtains closed :eek: horrible thought

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Omackeral wrote: »
    South Park

south-park-season-13-title-screen.jpg

First aired: 1997
    Core characters: Stan Marsh, Kyle Brovlovski, Eric Cartman, Kenny McCormack

VS

Tom and Jerry

TomandJerryTitleCardc.jpg

First aired: 1940
    Core characters: Tom Cat, Jerry Mouse

South Park, my reason is that if a grown ass man has to give a reason to explain why the show that brought us;

Kyle: We didn't really see it that way.
    Chef: But that's a black man up there!
    Kyle: Yeah but, the color of someone's skin doesn't matter.

Over tom and jerry, many of who's episodes have been locked away or carry warnings because of the institutional racisim in them.

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/question/2013/january.htm

Then this is my reason. South park is progressive and took what the Simpsons started and improved upon it, sometimes it's a bit derivative and it's certainly done but it's still far far better than tom and jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tom and Jerry - two outrageously daft chasing characters but enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Yes but it shouldn't demish their earlier vibrant life, It will though as demonstrated so adeptly by the wisdom of crowds in this game.
    Oh yeah I love the classic eps. But watching new ones on occasion has made me sad and angry that it had gone so far downhill. Same with Family Guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Dying is one of my biggest fears. Not the pain, just lights out, curtains closed :eek: horrible thought

My best posts were years ago :).

Just like being asleep - minus the dreamy twitchy bit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Tom and Jerry, because I'm much more likely to enjoy an episode of that than south park!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,419 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Tom & Gerry - for the nostalgia & because it didn't even need to be filled with jokes & punchlines. You could have 2 or 3 minutes straight with nothing said, just them chasing into each other smashing the gaf up & it was still so entertaining

Tom and Jerry

I couldn't of said it better myself, Sinead hits the nail on the head with her reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

South Park
    I loved the pure madness of it, especially when cartman was involved

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Oh yeah I love the classic eps. But watching new ones on occasion has made me sad and angry that it had gone so far downhill. Same with Family Guy.

I still watch Family guy just hoping for the odd laugh. Couldn't watch Simpsons .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Guffy

South park, because getting to the final is something the simpsons hasn't done.

Love both of these, still enjoy watching tom and jerry's slap stick comedy with the little lad, but that's all it is.. slap stick humour. South park has so much more depth in its characters, jokes and plots that its infinitely better. And unlike the Simpsons it hasn't gotten stale at all.

Vote South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Tom & Jerry is an absolute gem, let's not forget Spike, Quacker,Droppy and Dripple

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ewww. Living forever sounds genuinely horrible.

Thought I was having a heart attack the other day because I had shooting pains all up and down my left arm (turned out it was just a trapped nerve or something) and I was more than ready for the sweet release of death. I even got a post it, wrote "Do Not Resuscitate" on it and slapped it on my forehead, just in case anyone tried to bring me back from the brink.*

*Don't read in to any of this, its not a cry for help, I ain't suicidal, I'm just incredibly nihilistic, have a dark sense of humour, and don't fear dying (as long as its not overly painful). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

South Park.

I've been watching it since season 1 episode 2 and it guided the comedy and humour of my friends ever since.
    Unlike Simpsons it grew in every way as the seasons went on and hit about 20 seasons before it peaked. Funny, political and amazingly made in a week to keep it relevant.
    The best satire of my lifetime but miles and if it loses to a cat chasing a mouse round the place then this whole thing was worthless to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

South Park. Has well over 10 seasons of very tight writing, and sharp commentary on USA and the world.

Tom & Jerry is very good for what it is, but there's just not as much substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

South Park by a mile. Again yes T&J has that nostalgia element but in terms of story arcs, character development, and thought provoking humor its not only lacking but non existent. We might have liked it when we were little kids but thats about it. Objectively speaking South Park does so many more things right and has done so consistently for over 20 years (unlike Simpsons). I also love how they keep it relevant with current events but do it in their own clever way (like the Covid episode).

Tom & Jerry.

80 years of excellence.

Tom & Jerry.

80 years of excellence.

It's a proper cartoon. Simple and funny even after 80 years it's still remembered fondly

PsychoPete wrote: »
    It's a proper cartoon. Simple and funny even after 80 years it's still remembered fondly

Remembered really?

What is your favorite episode and tell us all how it goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Tom & Jerry.

80 years of excellence.

Is it though? I mean its the same slapstick jokes over and over. Cat chases mouse, mouse runs away, mouse does something clever, cat get hurt, rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

South Park advances to the Final

Ewww. Living forever sounds genuinely horrible.

Thought I was having a heart attack the other day because I had shooting pains all up and down my left arm (turned out it was just a trapped nerve or something) and I was more than ready for the sweet release of death. I even got a post it, wrote "Do Not Resuscitate" on it and slapped it on my forehead, just in case anyone tried to bring me back from the brink.*

*Don't read in to any of this, its not a cry for help, I ain't suicidal, I'm just incredibly nihilistic, have a dark sense of humour, and don't fear dying (as long as its not overly painful). ;)

:D

I fully believe you

Thank God for that. The final was almost a choice between a douche and a turdsandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Right folks... It's final time. Here's what we're gonna do. PM me your choice. Only votes cast by PM will be counted. You are free to discuss the shows on thread, campaign for your choice or denigrate the opposition. You have 45 minutes to get your vote in.
    Looney Tunes

looney-tunes-header-BagoGames-flickr.jpg?q=65&enable=upscale&w=600

First aired: 1930
    Core characters: Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester and Tweety

Path to final
    R1 def. Centurions
    R2 def. Fairly Odd Parents
    R3 Quad A Winner
    QF def. Animaniacs
    SF def. The Simpsons

VS

South Park

south-park-season-13-title-screen.jpg

First aired: 1997
    Core characters: Stan Marsh, Kyle Brovlovski, Eric Cartman, Kenny McCormack

Path to final
    R1 def. King of the Hill
    R2 def. MASK
    R3 Quad D Runner-up
    QF def. DuckTales
    SF def. Tom and Jerry

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Is it though? I mean its the same slapstick jokes over and over. Cat chases mouse, mouse runs away, mouse does something clever, cat get hurt, rinse and repeat.

Sometimes the brain can only handle that. For me anyway :D I need to switch off every so often & I don't always want to want to be waiting on the next punchlin. Sometimes I just want something easy & comforting to watch & Tom & Gerry is that kinda show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I dunno here

Looney tunes brought me up - but south park is a great show.

Im going with looney tunes, I was reared with them and fonder memories I suppose

Looney Tunes!

Final answer

Old vs new.
    The short cartoon vs the half an hour weekly episode.
    Quite tricky.

source.gif
    source.gif

When I think of a cartoon the likes of Looney Tunes is the first to come to mind, yes South Park is excellent but it isn't a cartoon the same way Looney Tunes is. The show has spanned generations and also gave life to other cartoons and films like Taz, Sylvester and Tweety,Road Runner,Duck Dodgers,Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Space Jam, Speedy Gonzales and a whole like more. Absolutely deserves the win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

Even though I've fond memories of looney tunes, I think it is a lot down to it being one of the only cartoons shown back in them der days. It wouldn't have been something I'd really have laughed at. South Park on the other hand frequently made me laugh and say wtf, which is a good combination.

Advertisement