Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit and school

Options
  • 23-11-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Do I need to update the child benefit department when my child reaches school going age - be it that he has started going to school or not?

Do they look for confirmation when the child is 4 years of age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not that I recall. The amount payable is the exact same.

You should only need to update them if they remain a dependent after 18. If you need additional assistance like back to school allowances, you would apply for them separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Your probably right that you don't need to do anything.

I'm sure the school has some involvement though. By sending names and pps numbers to the relevant department so that all children can be accounted for I.e. attending a school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You don’t need to do anything. They do spot checks occasionally where they send a form out and ask for some details. I haven’t had one in a while so I can’t remember exactly what they looked to know

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

You don't need to do anything until they turn 16, then you need to confirm that they are still in education full time so you claim until they are 18.

Like poster above said, you may get an occasional spot check form in the post, you sign and post back to prove you still reside in Ireland.

If any of your contact details change you should update the records though, I once had my CV stopped as they had sent spot check forms to an old rental address, it was easily sorted but took some time and was a pain waiting on the back dated payment to come through.

Advertisement