Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS 5 - Loud Noises Discussion

Options
  • 23-11-2020 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing a lot of reports of PS5's being noisy but reports seem to vary so thought we could collect some data here and see how it looks (sounds) for boardsies.

Humming, Coil Whine, SSD, Blu-ray disk drive, WTF is that noise?, etc.

533938.jpg

Maybe you have a sticker getting in the way like this guy?

https://twitter.com/Frank_Supercell/status/1329819966535766017?s=19

Is your PS5 noisy? 110 votes

NO, sounds completely normal to me
    60% 67 votes
    Yes, only slightly and doesn't bother me
    22% 25 votes
    Yes, very annoying but waiting for a fix
    9% 10 votes
    Yes, unbearable, sending back to retailer/Sony
    7% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think it's best that you set the PS5 up in a mini freezer or at worst a mini fridge and run the HDMI out from it. Will save a lot of issues with it, both noise and overheating which are both linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That "label" he removed is holding the wifi and bluetooth wires in place, preferably fold it back under the copper plate rather than removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is there a warranty label on the PS5 ? Don’t have one currently but surely what he did would break a seal ? I would have thought that label would make a light clatter noise and not a whine or is the notch causing a whistle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

No noise whatsoever from the PS5 for me, cos I don't feckin have one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

sugarman wrote:
    Eagerly anticipating a second PS5 hardware revision in the new year with all these kinks ironed out.

I sold mine to a relative (who was fully aware of the issues and not bothered by them) due to the noise issues. Glad to have my money back and will wait until the kinks are gone I think before repurchasing.

On the upside was able to download the ps collection games I got while I had the ps5 on my ps4 so they'll keep me entertained a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Expected someone to post the Anchorman picture/gif.

No noise here, thankfully. Only played Astrobot and Bugsnax so far. Will see when I play a PS4 game from disc later

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Expected someone to post the Anchorman picture/gif.

No noise here, thankfully. Only played Astrobot and Bugsnax so far. Will see when I play a PS4 game from disc later

Ding ding, that was the inspiration behind the thread title. It's good to see the huge majority of users having no issues with noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Ive been playing GTAV no noise and the load times are great!
    All in all really smooth and quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Ive been playing GTAV no noise and the load times are great!
    All in all really smooth and quiet!

GTAV is crazy on it, I'm playing on a desk setup so I'm close to the PS5 and the exhaust air is so cool and the console is so quite.

If you're playing it back to back the resume is great the resume works great, you just get thrown into single player first as you'd have disconnected from the online servers while it was off but you get to avoid that long initial loading.

I did have to turn the haptic off as the game wasn't doing it right, it was kind of barley noticeable and weak but annoyingly so. So whatever default conversion between old rumble and new haptic isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

The buzz coming from mine is doing my head in, it's also started having very quick pauses and then starting again. I'll try get a video up here tomorrow, but really not happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AskMeBollix

4nldoc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I still have the whine, and I took off the covers ans couldn't see anything, but in the pics above he removed the fan. The warranty label doesn't have to be removed to remove the fan, but im reluctant to remove it on a 4 day old console!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I still have the whine, and I took off the covers ans couldn't see anything, but in the pics above he removed the fan. The warranty label doesn't have to be removed to remove the fan, but im reluctant to remove it on a 4 day old console!

If you suspect the label, it'll still make noise when the console is off - just make the fan move with some compressed air, or even just remove the fan grill and see if you get a noise spinning the fan slowly by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wondering why some people have serious disk drive noise/ coil whine and others don't. Maybe they were manufactured in different locations? Could be that, in time, certain model numbers will be identified as defective?

My PS5 was collected for me today, but won't see it untill Christmas :( hope it's ok! At least by the time I get to it, if it is faulty, might not have to wait as long for a replacement unit.

Funny thing is that I wanted the Digital edition as I mostly buy digital only these days, and it looks more svelte. Tesco only had the Disc edition though, and felt lucky to get it.

Coil whine is kind of random - small changes in components, how well they're soldered etc can make it come or go. So you can be lucky or unlucky.

Not everybody is sensitive to it due to the high-pitch. Some people could have consoles with coil-whine and just not notice.

It can also be very directional - depending on your setup, shelves, wall etc, it might just bounce away and not be heard. I've had gaming PCs where I can hear it from some spots in the room and not others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Coil whine is kind of random - small changes in components, how well they're soldered etc can make it come or go. So you can be lucky or unlucky.

Not everybody is sensitive to it due to the high-pitch. Some people could have consoles with coil-whine and just not notice.

It can also be very directional - depending on your setup, shelves, wall etc, it might just bounce away and not be heard. I've had gaming PCs where I can hear it from some spots in the room and not others.

Anyone know if this is covered by warranty? I've seen videos of PC GPUs suffering from it and it's pretty much unacceptable for me and would anyone everyone in the house as well.

Some GPU vendors cover it under warranty. I think we're in new territory with regard to consoles, I don't recall a previous console having so many reports. You heard about it the odd time. So we'll have to see how Sony handle it.

If I had a console badly affected I would probably hold off a few months to try a warranty claim, first from an availability point of view (dont want to be without a console over xmas) and second to try and get a hardware-revised console (minor fixes could come as soon as 3-4 months).

Coil whine sometimes goes away over time as components kind of settle (or vibrate themselves) into a different resonant frequency. Sometimes it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Spooch

https://youtu.be/WtQaxXoKknU

Copied my link to the video from the main ps5 thread. Disk drive noise is ridiculously loud and incredibly inconsistent. Its very hit or miss when/how long it lasts. Gonna try laying in on its side and see if that helps any bit. Next step after that is wait until gamestop open up and see what they can do for me.

https://youtu.be/z_v9lZ9_QdM

I know you can mostly hear the fan, but the buzz is definitely there, apologies if its not that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Mine is fine. Can hear the fan a bit if the room is completely quiet. Just tried the disc drive there now, and it sounds fine. So all good on my end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Spooch wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/WtQaxXoKknU

Copied my link to the video from the main ps5 thread. Disk drive noise is ridiculously loud and incredibly inconsistent. Its very hit or miss when/how long it lasts. Gonna try laying in on its side and see if that helps any bit. Next step after that is wait until gamestop open up and see what they can do for me.

That sounds like when you have a card hitting the spokes of your wheel, only, really, really, really fast.

plomino wrote:
    reddit.com/r/TVTooHigh/

Kremin wrote:
    I had been playing Spiderman on fidelity this entire time, finally got. A 4k monitor today and decided to test both fidelity and performance on it.

Spooch wrote:

Damo 2k9 wrote:
    I know you can mostly hear the fan, but the buzz is definitely there, apologies if its not that clear.

Sounds like mine did also with the disc and buzzing noises. Incredibly annoying after waiting so long and looking forward to getting these. Hopefully it can be sorted.

Mines digital , which is even more annoying. I don't mind fan noise, but that buzz is getting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Damo 2k9 wrote:
    Mines digital , which is even more annoying. I don't mind fan noise, but that buzz is getting to me.

Yeah thats what did it for me and I got rid. The fan you can drown out but that buzz is a headwreck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Knowing Sony and their returns policies like they did with the PSP (dead pixels aren't a defect unless you have a certain amount) I expect they try and pull a fast one and not accept it under warranty.

However if anyone is having very bad issues with this remember you are very well protected under irish and EU law and have a contract with the retailer. Might take a chat with the manager and a threat of small claims court.... or actually going to the small claims court, but there are routes to take.

Yeah thats what did it for me and I got rid. The fan you can drown out but that buzz is a headwreck.

Returned it for a new unit? Yours the same buzz as mine?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Returned it for a new unit? Yours the same buzz as mine?

Yeah mine was same as yours. I sold mine to someone who was OK with the noise. Will wait and get it again when they address it and there's more stock.

Got this email from smyths on returns if its any help. Although when I was in store they referred me to call sony

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I’m sorry to hear of the issues you’ve experienced with your item, I will certainly highlight your feedback to our Buying Team and Supplier.

The quickest way to resolve this matter is to go to your local Smyths Toys Store where staff will be more than happy to inspect the item and offer redress once the fault is confirmed. Please have the card used to pay for your order and your dispatch confirmation email at hand when returning as this is your proof of purchase. If you are unsure of where your nearest store is, you can find it via the following link https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/store-finder

When you purchase a console, you have one month guarantee with us.

You can find out more about the policies on consoles returns on our website https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/returns ;

If you require further assistance, please be sure to contact us

Not sure on validity of this however interesting if true. Not all PS5 have the same fan. Could explain why some are noisy and some not. Balls if true as it means buying one is a pure lottery.

• Advertisement

Not sure on validity of this however interesting if true. Not all PS5 have the same fan. Could explain why some are noisy and some not. Balls if true as it means buying one is a pure lottery.

It's nothing to do with the fan (the sticker issue wasn't coil whine) and has been in issue with more modern GPU hardware on PCs. The consoles are now catching up and getting that hardware and the issues have carried over.

It is lottery unfortunately.

Advertisement