Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS 5 - Loud Noises Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Spooch

Finally got around to laying my playstation horizontal. It has eliminated the disc drive noise and is silent as a mouse. Not ideal that I'll likely have to keep it this way but a relief I can play the thing in peace and not wake up the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

https://youtu.be/jZMbUKKsYVY

Anyone give this a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've had a disc in the drive for a few days now while playing another game. Starts spinning occasionally which is grand. But it just spun now and made a strange noise. Probably what others experienced. Did sound more like something is pressing against it while it's spinning

I checked and my console is between 53 and 65 dB with my phone right beside it. This is both in game and out of game.

Interestingly enough a report showed the quieter fan being 35dB and the louder one 45dB.

This leads me to think I have the vibrating issue with the housing. Going to put in some o rings to try dampen it and will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So I went at it tonight. Dead silence in the house, had it turned on only to watch a bit of Crunchyroll, put it into rest mode and could hear the fan. I'd imagine most people wouldn't, or at the very least it wouldn't get quiet enough for someone to hear it, but it's there. Took off the panels, removed the fan (4 different size screws, so make note of where they come from if you're removing the fan). Didn't see any sticker that could have caused it. Spun the fan in my hand and whisper quiet, but I'm no rpm machine so probably a pointless test.

Put it all back together and noise is still there. Loaded up No Mans Sky while the tv was on mute and could hear something spinning or moving faster or slower depending on what I was doing in game. At times it sounded like an old hard drive spinning up a disc, or when you put in a blu ray and at the start it spins and stops in the space of half a second, the whirr down noise but not loud, just audible in the complete silence.

I reckon it's either a bad fan, or bad placement/something is loose and vibrating with the fan. Again, you wouldn't notice it unless it was silent, so not sure if it's a complaint as such, but there's definite movement causing it. Still, night and day with the Pro, I just hope this doesn't get incrementally worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

Mine was silent on Astro. 4k 60fps for 30 minutes. But when Spiderman comes next week on disk I will test with at least an hours play. I get what this guy says i.e. Some fan noise is to be expected. I would like my console vertical but will change to horizontal to reduce noise if I have to.

When I pay 500 euro for a console I wont accept noise that distracts me from playing. It will be going back to be replaced / fixed.

I also dont like that Sony sent out quiet PS5s for review then louder PS5s on general release to paying customers according to this video. A co-incidence maybe but it will still be in the back of my mind when testing mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

So I went at it tonight. Dead silence in the house, had it turned on only to watch a bit of Crunchyroll, put it into rest mode and could hear the fan. I'd imagine most people wouldn't, or at the very least it wouldn't get quiet enough for someone to hear it, but it's there. Took off the panels, removed the fan (4 different size screws, so make note of where they come from if you're removing the fan). Didn't see any sticker that could have caused it. Spun the fan in my hand and whisper quiet, but I'm no rpm machine so probably a pointless test.

Put it all back together and noise is still there. Loaded up No Mans Sky while the tv was on mute and could hear something spinning or moving faster or slower depending on what I was doing in game. At times it sounded like an old hard drive spinning up a disc, or when you put in a blu ray and at the start it spins and stops in the space of half a second, the whirr down noise but not loud, just audible in the complete silence.

I reckon it's either a bad fan, or bad placement/something is loose and vibrating with the fan. Again, you wouldn't notice it unless it was silent, so not sure if it's a complaint as such, but there's definite movement causing it. Still, night and day with the Pro, I just hope this doesn't get incrementally worse.

If you have to wait until the dead of night and put your tv on mute to hear it, then surely that's not a fault and just the console behaving normally? Nobody expects it to be literally 100% silent surely?

Mine makes about the same amount of noise as the virgin tv box next to it, i.e. if you really listen for it in dead silence it's noticeable, but not at all when the TV is turned on.

The best test is a decible test.

My console is 60dB right beside it and like 50dB from where I sit.

50dB can be heard. Sure I can't hear it most of the time when a game is playing but every time I bring up a menu I can hear it.

Fairly annoying but hope the o rings fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Liamo_mu wrote:
    Fairly annoying but hope the o rings fix it.

Let us know how that goes pls

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    If you have to wait until the dead of night and put your tv on mute to hear it, then surely that's not a fault and just the console behaving normally? Nobody expects it to be literally 100% silent surely?

Oh I'm not expecting pure silence, I just don't like the sound of it, if you understand me. Compared to that video above, the sound from mine is more high pitched, although I'm most likely sensitive to high pitched sounds (can hear the buzz from the dimmer switch from across the room). That's the problem though, no idea if it's normal noise or something else causing it. I'll continue to monitor it and if it gets worse I'll let ye know, but for now it's grand, like you said I need silence for to be able to hear it mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Spooch wrote: »

That sounds like something stuck in the fan - they way the noise slows down when you power down - its easy to open and doesn't void waranty - id give that a go - if even just the white top cover.

The one I have here is completely silent - usual noises from cd while installing but silent when playing.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭steescribbles

I tried a few games out and I think out of all of them, Redout (PS4) has the most jarring noise coming from the PS5, and that's only on the Photosensitivity Warning screen. So I opened it up, checked the fan housing and nothing. No loose sticker or anything strange at all.

Not even DIRT 5 (a PS5 game) was able to replicate such a sound. Very peculiar.

Hoping this is something that gets better with time and usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

How is PS5 for Warzone lads? So loud on PS4!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone have an Xbox One S for reference? The coil whine on that was awful. I could hear it outside of the living room. I'm used to it from PCs, my GTX 1060 will whine under heavy load and I'm sitting right next to it but it's not that loud and the pitch isn't that annoying. The One S is terrible. Just wondering if the PS5 is as bad as that?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone have an Xbox One S for reference?

Our (now retired) One S is silent enough. No coil whine - very noticeable regular fan noise only - nothing bad - like a typical fan.

My Asus PC Motherboard however - so annoying - when you move mouse you can hear noise effects.
    A driver fix helped bring it down from a high pitched loud noise to a slight wosh wosh - otherwise would have got it sent to e-waste by now.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

although I'm most likely sensitive to high pitched sounds (can hear the buzz from the dimmer switch from across the room)

Are you using led bulbs? Electrician told me that happens because of the low voltage. Not all dimmer switches are suitable for led seemingly

guil wrote: »
    Are you using led bulbs? Electrician told me that happens because of the low voltage. Not all dimmer switches are suitable for led seemingly

Nah, standard bulbs. The buzzing is coming from the dimmer switch itself. It's common apparantly. In fairness, I think there might be too many high watt bulbs in it (3). But the dimmer switch is there nearly as long as the house, so 38 years... Might be no harm to update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Nah, standard bulbs. The buzzing is coming from the dimmer switch itself. It's common apparantly. In fairness, I think there might be too many high watt bulbs in it (3). But the dimmer switch is there nearly as long as the house, so 38 years... Might be no harm to update it.

You should pop the cover off the switch and have a look. Had a buzzing dimmer switch for a month before I finally got sense and decided to change it. One of the wires was loose and there was evidence of charring on the contacts. Potential fire risk.

Damien360 wrote: »
    You should pop the cover off the switch and have a look. Had a buzzing dimmer switch for a month before I finally got sense and decided to change it. One of the wires was loose and there was evidence of charring on the contacts. Potential fire risk.

I should have a look in fairness, but it only buzzes when dimmed, it's perfectly quiet when on "full". I'll say it to the boss man, can't be doing anything like that around here without his sayso!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 MrZibi

Oh I'm not expecting pure silence, I just don't like the sound of it, if you understand me. Compared to that video above, the sound from mine is more high pitched, although I'm most likely sensitive to high pitched sounds (can hear the buzz from the dimmer switch from across the room). That's the problem though, no idea if it's normal noise or something else causing it. I'll continue to monitor it and if it gets worse I'll let ye know, but for now it's grand, like you said I need silence for to be able to hear it mostly.

So sounds like this is what people describe as "coil whine". No loose labels or fan noise. I've been playing Astro playroom and Bugsnax and at first, ignored it or simply did happen to have some background noise (during the day) and paid less attention to what console is emitting. However recently played Destiny and started to notice high pith noise that intensifies when starting the game and goes quiet navigating to PS system main screen. Did some reading and looks like you can hear it more when the game is in 60fps. Tried God of War switching between Resolution (30fps) and Performance mode (60fps) and coil whine gets more intense in latter. But me playing low sound volume in the evening feels like a problem. That is also a not an isolated issue but trying to replace the console and risking similar problems feels like a lottery and not sure if it's worth it. Maybe in a few months time. Also, some suggested that coil whine noise will fade away over time so will see but some mentioned console is quite and that noise does not happen. Wonder if any have similar observations.

PS: Maybe should start playing with headphones on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/z_v9lZ9_QdM

I know you can mostly hear the fan, but the buzz is definitely there, apologies if its not that clear.

This has gotten slightly louder, and is seriously bugging me now. I know im lucky to have one, but I'm almost certain it shouldnt sound like it is so ill be looking to sort it after christmas as I think it will take a while. Raging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Damo 2k9 wrote:
    This has gotten slightly louder, and is seriously bugging me now. I know im lucky to have one, but I'm almost certain it shouldnt sound like it is so ill be looking to sort it after christmas as I think it will take a while. Raging

Mine was the same and became unbearable so I got rid. So frustrating. Hope you get sorted.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/z_v9lZ9_QdM
    This has gotten slightly louder, and is seriously bugging me now.

Cannot hear anything there at all - except fan....

could this issue be down to age if you can hear it or not...

Age/Frequency test you can take at about 45 seconds in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHWY1KBHwc&ab_channel=NationalGeographic

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

ozmo wrote: »

Admittedly its not a great video, but I can definitely hear the 'buzz', especially the quick pause around 5/6 seconds in. Ill grab a better video tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MrZibi

ozmo wrote: »

Interesting idea. I've been always happy with my hearing (can't say the same about the vision :) so maybe there is some truth in that. In that link, I could hear 18kHz without any hassle.

I've also decided to check noise levels without the cover and eliminate the concerns that this could be the fan and again the sound was coming from middle to low section and closer to the middle back of the console (so no fan fault). However, I had a feeling that there is less noise without the cover may be due to the fact that these giant white fins could direct the sound towards the user who may sit directly in front (some suggested to put with some angle).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have had mine a week and the noise is starting to annoy me now. I thinks it's coil whine, it's not loud but it's an irritating sound that permeates through instead of just fading into the background. I'm just after turning it on after being on my perfectly silent Series X for a while earlier today and I'm not sure I want to live with this for the next 7-8 years. From what I've read you can try and get it looked at by Sony but there's no guarantee it'll come back sounding any different. The noise remains in rest mode unless you choose to disable power to the usb ports so I think it's power supply related, there are some videos on YouTube suggesting this is the culprit for noise on some consoles anyway.

Do they all do this? I suspect people have a different threshold for what noise they'll tolerate out of a console and mine is fairly low. I only picked up a PS4 Pro recently and was shocked people put up with the noise of that thing. I'm considering clearing the few PS4 games I have left and then getting rid of it and buying again later in the year when the first proper PS5 games I'm interested in are out and hopefully the consoles will be better built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Good to know info!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm noticing the coil whine (i think? Di di di di di di) I think a bit more. Last week, i put it into rest mode and still noticed like mentioned above, thought that was very strange. Still absolutely miles better than my Pro so i count myself lucky.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm noticing the coil whine (i think? Di di di di di di) I think a bit more. Last week, i put it into rest mode and still noticed like mentioned above, thought that was very strange. Still absolutely miles better than my Pro so i count myself lucky.

The two fixes I've seen online are
    1. to check is that nothing is touching off the fan inside - look for loose stickers inside (easy fix - fan is user removable and doesn't void warranty)

2. and a dodgy capacitor replacement in the power supply (a fair bit more difficult and voids warranty)
    Vid for the repair technicians out there...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kl7EshQPdM

“Roll it back”

Advertisement