Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS 5 - Loud Noises Discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MrZibi

ozmo wrote: »
    The two fixes I've seen online are
    1. to check is that nothing is touching off the fan inside - look for loose stickers inside (easy fix - fan is user removable and doesn't void warranty)

2. and a dodgy capacitor replacement in the power supply (a fair bit more difficult and voids warranty)
    Vid for the repair technicians out there...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kl7EshQPdM

Your 2nd point is spot on, any issues with fan noise were almost non-existent and media blew up after few cases especially that guy who found displaced label hitting the fan.

I was lucky to secure one unit for my brother recently and it has the same noise coming from power supply -> capacitor, compared to my console from November.

Question is will Sony decide to do anything with it now - doubtful knowing that demand is high and production is at max cap. I think its something we need to live with as early adopters unless it sounds like a tractor (then it's not ok :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interestingly, I had my ps5 in rest mode a while ago, coil whine (or whatever it is) and then it stopped and I got a phone notification that a game had finished downloading. For Rest Mode, I only have Internet enabled, no USB power supply. The noise was only happening while something was downloading, very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Have a digital PS5 since launch. All good here noise wise, a very slight hum at times but you can ignore it (and I'm fussy about console noise).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacConmheadha

I got my PS5 at the start of February. The coil whine on it was fairly annoying so I sent it to PlayStation to get repaired. I got it back today after two weeks without it and the noise honestly sounds worse, the note with it said it was repaired.

It’s a buzzing noise like a barber’s clippers. It’s very noticeable while I’m in game but it’s not there or very silent in the UI/home screen.

I know coil whine is common with computer parts but that being said I know someone with a silent PS5, and the XSX is silent.

Does anyone else have this problem? or got it “repaired” like me but with better results?

Don’t know whether to contact PlayStation again or try to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I got my PS5 at the start of February. The coil whine on it was fairly annoying so I sent it to PlayStation to get repaired. I got it back today after two weeks without it and the noise honestly sounds worse, the note with it said it was repaired.

It’s a buzzing noise like a barber’s clippers. It’s very noticeable while I’m in game but it’s not there or very silent in the UI/home screen.

I know coil whine is common with computer parts but that being said I know someone with a silent PS5, and the XSX is silent.

I have the same issue. On my 2nd PS5 and it was same with both of them it's very annoying.

Think we just have tonout up with it as it seems a lottery as to if any replacement etc woukd be better or worse.

I'm lucky enough to have been able to get a Series X also and that's completely silent. I'll likely play most cross console games on that as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I have two, one is silent and the other makes a a buzz a bit like there is something stuck in the fan. Might open it up and have a look but I wouldn’t call it noisy, particularly after owning a PS4 pro.

I have the same issue. On my 2nd PS5 and it was same with both of them it's very annoying.

Think we just have tonout up with it as it seems a lottery as to if any replacement etc woukd be better or worse.

I'm lucky enough to have been able to get a Series X also and that's completely silent. I'll likely play most cross console games on that as a result.

Yeah it seems to just be a lucky dip, my mate has one and it’s dead silent.

Just off the phone with PlayStation. Your man said they’ll more than likely just replace it this time rather than repair it, we shall see in two weeks...

Probes wrote: »
    I have two, one is silent and the other makes a a buzz a bit like there is something stuck in the fan. Might open it up and have a look but I wouldn’t call it noisy, particularly after owning a PS4 pro.

It’s definitely not anything to do with the fan for me. It’s fairly noticeable and annoying, can hear it during gameplay.

If you take off the faceplates, spin the fan and you still hear it then it’s the fan. If not it’s coil whine or something else.

Just off the phone with PlayStation. Your man said they’ll more than likely just replace it this time rather than repair it, we shall see in two weeks...

Will you let me know how it goes pls

Yeah I’ll come back on here when I get it back.

By your 2nd one do you mean you bought a second one from a retailer or Sony replaced or “repaired” it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

This is what worries me. Been forced to sit on the fence for PS5 as I can’t get one but I’ve very much cooled my need for one. The only thing holding me on to PlayStation is I still play my PS4 pro (jet engine). If I go full digital for PS then it’s very hard to ignore the Series X full digital. Backwards compatiblity is fantastic but I reckon a short lived need until the game infrastructure builds up. Then there will be little need.

2nd one through retailer. My brother in law bought the first one from me. Noise didnt bother him as he wears headset when gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

It’s definitely not anything to do with the fan for me. It’s fairly noticeable and annoying, can hear it during gameplay.

If you take off the faceplates, spin the fan and you still hear it then it’s the fan. If not it’s coil whine or something else.

You're right, it definitely isn't because it changes noticeably and suddenly between scenes. It kind of sounds like a wonky fan though. My other PS5 I can't hear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Put a DVD in for the first time yesterday and could not believe how noisy it is to start up. The noise goes once read, but Jesus H Christ that is a tremendous racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

Mine makes an electrical buzzing noise when playing games. Silent on the menu or an app like Netflix. Seems to be worse the more demanding a game is. For example it's worse when playing Spiderman miles morales than when playing Astros playroom or a PS4 game. Disappears the moment you hold the ps button to return to system menu.

Have emailed Sony about it just there so hopefully they come back.

It's a lot louder and more annoying than my PS4 Pro ever was (that was a late model so one of the quieter ones and there was a small bit of fan noise that could only be heard with TV on mute when playing something like the last of us 2 or red dead 2). This buzzing can be heard over the TV during quiet parts of games like the MJ bits of Spiderman remastered.

sinnerboy0 wrote:
    Mine makes an electrical buzzing noise when playing games. Silent on the menu or an app like Netflix. Seems to be worse the more demanding a game is. For example it's worse when playing Spiderman miles morales than when playing Astros playroom or a PS4 game. Disappears the moment you hold the ps button to return to system menu.

sinnerboy0 wrote:

sinnerboy0 wrote:
    It's a lot louder and more annoying than my PS4 Pro ever was (that was a late model so one of the quieter ones and there was a small bit of fan noise that could only be heard with TV on mute when playing something like the last of us 2 or red dead 2). This buzzing can be heard over the TV during quiet parts of games like the MJ bits of Spiderman remastered.

Let us know what they say pls. Have the exact same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

Let us know what they say pls. Have the exact same issue.

Will do. It's a pain in the hole as by all accounts both of the new Microsoft consoles are completely silent.

My guess is it's something to do with the power supply as it gets worse the more demanding the workload and the more power being drawn.

sinnerboy0 wrote:
    Will do. It's a pain in the hole as by all accounts both of the new Microsoft consoles are completely silent.

sinnerboy0 wrote:
    My guess is it's something to do with the power supply as it gets worse the more demanding the workload and the more power being drawn.

Yeah I have a series x also and it's silent. Mine exact same not too bad when playing ps4 games but extremely loud when playing MM or astros

sinnerboy0 wrote: »

Coil whine, the exact same as mine. If you see my last posts here Sony took it back.

Got it back today..... it’s a brand new one......... and.........

🥁🥁🥁

The noise is still there hahaha

Going to leave it for a while and see if it gets better. Apparently it can go away.

Then if it doesn’t I’ll ring them at some point within my warranty.

Don’t see any point sending it back again when I’ll just be getting ones with the same problem, so I’ll be better off waiting till more become available and they improve the hardware.

• Advertisement

The noise is still there hahaha

Mad stuff. Yeah I've just accepted mine for what it is now. Mostly playing GTA on it these days and the noise isn't bad from that. Going tonoick up deathloop on release and see what that does for the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lcomps

Mine resting fan noise is louder than my PS4. At load it's quieter but just having it on in the room the sound is more noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

Mine is making a slight sqweek as the fan rotates now. Certain games cause a slight buzz. More noticeable now than when I bought it. Its worse when downloading and playing at the same time which might be expected but its starting to get on my tits now.

Advertisement