Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French press vs Hario V60, Clever Dripper etc.

Options
  • 23-11-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am thinking of switching to an old school brew method as I only ever drink Americanos and it's just not doing it for me lately and my machine is on the fritz.

I used to use french press way back and loved it bit never tried a drip filter like Hario v60 or clever dripper. The simplicity of teh french press also appeals to be honest with just filling it and timing it without the slow pouring etc. for the hario

Does anyone have any advice? I know they are not too expensive either way but I think brew technique has come on a bit since my french press days so even if they are unfashionable I am itching to give it a try again LOL

Will pair with a good grinder obviously too (looking at the wilfa svart in case that makes a difference)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

French Press > Aeropress > Hario V60 > Chemex.

You just can't match the French Press in terms of body or flavour for me and I've tried a lot. Only use the French Press or the aeropress these days. The rest are gathering dust in various corners of the shed.

Only thing about the French Press is that I brew too much. And then drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

I'd have to say something like the V60 or Kalita Wave.

French Press for me is something I prefer to use if I'm making a batch brew for a group, if I'm on my own I still like to make enough for 2 or maybe 3 cups even and unless I transfer from the French Press to another server the coffee continues to brew and becomes bitter tasting, but that's down to letting it sit in the FP. I find a pour over gives the best flavour for me, I use the V60 for some time but lately find myself brewing with the Kalita Wave more often which I do recommend. It all comes down to preference really, there is no one better than the other.

As you mentioned they are all relatively cheap, I would get a French Press and a dripper to be honest, both would set you back around €40-50. You can get decent hand grinders too for less than the Svart if you really want to go 'old school', the Timemore C2 is a great burr grinder and can be got for around €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks DIID - I guess that's another advantage I can try a few different approaches as they are all pretty cheap! Hadn't thought of the Kalita thanks.

Mr Magnolia I'm delighted to hear I'm not the only onto into french presses :-) I was starting to doubt myself!

I have been a bit taken by the Espro P7 - is it worth the money? I do like the idea of an insulated press to keep a couple of mugs hot without having to make each one at a time..
    https://www.espro.com/product/coffee-p7

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't know why, whether I've read it or thunk it, but I'd be wary of over extraction in a thermally insulated French Press. I've a big aul bodum that serves me well and a zojirushi thermal mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

As others have said it depends on what you enjoy and what your priorities are.

I use the v60 most frequently, the odd time I'd brew on a Kalita or Chemex. It takes a bit of practice to get the technique right but ultimately pour over filter is the most rewarding. I love the variety of flavour profiles that you can experience and trying different coffee from different roasters means it's never boring. V60 is cheap too.

I'd personally go with a clever dripper..it'll give you all the benefits of an immersion brew but with better clarity than what you would get with a French press as you're using filters. Plus it's easier to clean. It seems that you want something that convenient and easy to use.

• Advertisement

Bigbooty wrote: »
    As others have said it depends on what you enjoy and what your priorities are.

I use the v60 most frequently, the odd time I'd brew on a Kalita or Chemex. It takes a bit of practice to get the technique right but ultimately pour over filter is the most rewarding. I love the variety of flavour profiles that you can experience and trying different coffee from different roasters means it's never boring. V60 is cheap too.

I'd personally go with a clever dripper..it'll give you all the benefits of an immersion brew but with better clarity than what you would get with a French press as you're using filters. Plus it's easier to clean. It seems that you want something that convenient and easy to use.

Thanks! Just spent the last while looking at brew methods for the clever dripper and it looks great to be honest and exactly what I want. Will probably go with a cheap french press and a clever dripper and have fun for a while, and in time then have the option of a V60 or whatever when I want to try something new.

After being espresso only for a good few years I am really looking forward to exploring the flavour profiles of the filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Thanks! Just spent the last while looking at brew methods for the clever dripper and it looks great to be honest and exactly what I want. Will probably go with a cheap french press and a clever dripper and have fun for a while, and in time then have the option of a V60 or whatever when I want to try something new.

After being espresso only for a good few years I am really looking forward to exploring the flavour profiles of the filter

French press is always handy to have too. Good choice in the end up and as you say you can always mix it up later on. Theres great things happening in the Irish speciality coffee scene at the minute so it's a good time to be making the leap over.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I've spent close to a year perfecting my V60 technique but a few weeks ago my SIL posted over their unused Kalita Waves (SS and ceramic) and I've fallen into another rabbit hole. Pour over is a nice involved brew type but not everyone wants that though at 7am!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I use a FP if me and my wife are sitting down for a coffee, otherwise I brew 250ml in the Aero for my speciality SO beans that my wife is not allowed near.

The odd time I'll do a Hoffman V60.

I'd like a Clever though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I use a FP if me and my wife are sitting down for a coffee, otherwise I brew 250ml in the Aero for my speciality SO beans that my wife is not allowed near.

The odd time I'll do a Hoffman V60.

I'd like a Clever though

Saw a clever dripper in operation. a clever device :D

my wife knows not to go near my coffee..she doesnt drink it..or tea:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

When making one for myself and my wife, I was always an FP user but tried out a V60 at the start of lockdown and haven't looked back. Find it a much cleaner cup than the FP. I use the AP at home when making a single cup for myself.

That said, if and when I return the office I will revert to the FP as it is alot easier to brew at the desk.

We actually own 3 FPs

a single cup that my wife uses, one that makes 3 mugs of coffee (1.5 each) and one that makes 6 mugs that we use when we have visitors.

It's really the best way to make batch coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Hario do do a V60 style 'clever' dripper also called Hario Switch. Haven't used a clever dripper myself but it's meant to be the best of both worlds. As others have mentioned also the clean up on a V60 takes two seconds, whereas I always dread the FP cleanup, getting every bit of coffee ground off the mesh can be a pain!

So to report back on this - LOVING the clever dripper so thanks for the suggestion. French press has been nice too but the clever is a really clean cup. Might take the plunge for a hario switch when I find one too.

I watched Hoffmann's video on the Clever Dripper last night. It seems much larger than I thought it would be but the cup looked pretty nice. The switch is about €40 in Crema Shop, maybe next month.

Talguetler wrote: »
    I watched Hoffmann's video on the Clever Dripper last night. It seems much larger than I thought it would be but the cup looked pretty nice. The switch is about €40 in Crema Shop, maybe next month.

There are 2 sizes a 300ml and a 500ml (thought the 500ml only holds about 350ml in practical terms)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭breeno

Santa is bringing me a Clever dripper. Very excited for my Christmas morning brew now. I'll have to put some gear away as I have a v60, aeropress and mila pot on the go as well as my bean to cup. I don't know how it's come to this since I only really got into coffee in the last couple of years!

The clever dripper looks great though. A good mix of varieties and quite straight forward while being consistent. I like the v60 but it's quite involved. Like the idea of setting up the dripper and leave it brewing whole I make breakfast or whatever.

Coffee Angel have a good offer at the moment of the clever dripper and 100 filters for 31 quid. https://coffeeangel.com/shop/cleverdripper

That Coffee Angel price is almost too good to pass up :( I have the same concerns with space, we have our B2C machine packed away until we move into our new place next year and we're already surrounded with pour over equipment as it is.

Talguetler wrote: »
    That Coffee Angel price is almost too good to pass up :( I have the same concerns with space, we have our B2C machine packed away until we move into our new place next year and we're already surrounded with pour over equipment as it is.

I got mine in coffee angel - great price and free delivery included (was also a good opportunity to throw in some beans! :-D)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

A few thoughts on different home brewing approaches:-

French press - Great for a larger group, but personally - as mentioned earlier in the thread - the sediment issue annoys me. There are ways around it but I have gravitated towards other brewing methods, full stop.

Kalita Wave / Hario V60 - I've owned and extensively used both for years. I would highly, highly recommend them as a combination of producing a great cup but also making for easy cleaning. In a pinch both can use non standard filters or you can buy a metal filter. I like that there's the potential to opt for ceramic, plastic or metal depending on what price point you're prepared to go for. I've had plastic and ceramic and the durability of the plastic appealed, because of the chaotic nature of our household. Which brings me to...

Chemex - I've had large and small and broken both. They're fragile, which is probably the main reason I'll never buy one again. In a family home like mine they just couldn't survive(!). Pluses to the large Chemex: Looks beautiful, can brew for a larger group. Downsides to all Chemex in addition to the fragility: They make you work hard to get coffee that isn't becoming tepid. Also, the unusual filters and required folding are an annoyance. You can buy aftermarket metal filters but the one I had was a pain to clean.

Clever dripper - I was genuinely surprised how much I like the Clever dripper and it's what I'm currently mainly using at home. It's not just hat I think the brew method works well ... It's the ease of cleaning, the durability and the way you can pop this on and off cups and it'll only dispense liquid (or drip) when it's sitting on a rim. Makes chucking out the filter and grounds a less messy process than with a Kalita or Hario drip filter.

Aerporess - I highly rate this as a way for someone to brew who is willing to do a bit of minimal research and practice. About the only downside I could think of is that I do think it's a bit more idiosyncratic to clean, if you want to keep it properly clean of oil residue over time. I bought an aftermarket metal disc filter which eliminated fussing around with little paper filters.

• Advertisement

yeah, the metal mesh filter is a great extra purchase for the AP.

I picked up the Clever Dripper from WCC as they had it on offer last week. It's completely thrown me as I normally adore V60/Wave pour over but I think I may prefer this brew method :o So far I've only gone with the Hoffmann technique and the results have been pretty good to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 onemorekahve

I don't like the residue left by the french press in the glass. Therefore, my choice was for chemex. Chemex is the winner of the Chemex vs French press battle for me.

Advertisement