Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple smartwatch series 6/se gps+cellular

• 23-11-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi, I recently got the 12 pro max as a gift. Really its not the ideal phone for my work/farm environment so I have been looking at ways to mind this expensive phone. One way is I will be buying the apple series 6/se smart watch.

i was considering buying the gps+cellular version so that I can leave the phone in the house for a couple of hours and still answer calls and reply to texts. Will I need a completely new phone plan for this cellular version and can such a plan be got in Ireland? Also, how fast does having cellular switched on drain the battery?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Pat10 wrote: »
    Hi, I recently got the 12 pro max as a gift. Really its not the ideal phone for my work/farm environment so I have been looking at ways to mind this expensive phone. One way is I will be buying the apple series 6/se smart watch.

i was considering buying the gps+cellular version so that I can leave the phone in the house for a couple of hours and still answer calls and reply to texts. Will I need a completely new phone plan for this cellular version and can such a plan be got in Ireland? Also, how fast does having cellular switched on drain the battery?

No esim support/cellular available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pat10

rizzee wrote: »
    No esim support/cellular available in Ireland.

Thanks. I had a look at esim and came across this:

Does Ireland support eSIM?

Right now, Irish domestic operators (like Vodafone and Three) do not support eSIM. This means you can’t visit one of their stores and request an eSIM plan to activate the eSIM within your device. However, customers can purchase global roaming eSIM plans from a number of online stores that will activate the eSIM in their device and allow them to use their eSIM in Ireland. The eSIM will ‘roam’ onto mobile operators’ networks and can be used at home or abroad. 

What are the benefits of using a global roaming eSIM?

An global roaming eSIM purchased online can be used at home or overseas, giving the user a range of different benefits.

Using an eSIM in your home country:

Make use of two mobile phone numbers on one device – great for those who have a personal line and a business lineAs a global roaming eSIM can roam on any network, users may be able to switch network providers to access better coverage in remote locationsAffordable international calling rates

Using an eSIM overseas:

Affordable roaming voice, SMS and data plans – often cheaper than traditional network providersNo need to remove your current SIM card and replace it with a local SIMYour primary SIM number can be used at the same time as your eSIM

Is this a round about way of getting cellular connection on a smart watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pat10

I contacted esim.net to enquire if they provide cellular connectivity to Ireland. Hope to hear back from them soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Pat10 wrote: »
    I contacted esim.net to enquire if they provide cellular connectivity to Ireland. Hope to hear back from them soon.

Would be interested to hear this. Thanks for the information above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I flip flop between Apple and Android devices the last few years. Last iPhone was over three years ago.
    Back on the bandwagon tomorrow when my 12 arrives. So just been looking into LTE watches. I can't believe what I'm reading, the carrier's still do not support esim all these years later since I last looked.. jaysis

• Advertisement
Advertisement