Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@thefa I think what is noticeable with the English is the accent is just a generic American accent so it seems a bit odd.

Yeah. There's a certain uneasiness about them using phrases like "bring it home" and "get it done" or whatever in a Californian accent. I was hoping that the Comanche would have been the original language used. But alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I did find it disorientating at first but yeah it did quickly grow on me.

It probably helped that I was appreciating them having the french speakers there because I had some history in my head about the french having that vast swathe of america around that time.

I don't waste my time. The English was awful so tried the Commanche but subtitles where closed caption and unwatchable so off it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

watched it in American engllish think I would preferred it in comanche.

So many Comanche language aficionados in Ireland.

Who knew?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Native Americans speak in what can sound to our ears almost like an exaggerated American accent but that's their real accent. Think Eugene Brave Rock in Wonder Woman and you have it.

Anyway, I thought it was moderately enjoyable jape. Beautifully shot, as others have said. I thought they kept the Predator cloaked a bit too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sure Jan.

There was about as much dialogue in the opening 10 minutes of this as there was in Wall-E.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 60,634 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was a grand 6 out 10 action pic with a very good run time of 90 minutes more action movies need to go back to that kind of run time instead to thw 150/180 minutes that seems to be the norm now.

Also why the hell would Predators keep coming back to earth as every time there are here they get killed and even when they take humans to other planets they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just watched it with my eldest there. Both went in with low expectations but I am pleasantly surprised.

The cinematography alone is fantastic, cgi mostly holds up very well and the plot is good.

Not sure why people are so pressed on accents, feels like an odd thing to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Thought it was just OK, stuck on predator 2 striaght after, much better film :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just finished this. Enjoyed it a lot. Would definitely have it as second best predator movie (faint praise indeed). Couldn't care less about the accents, was half expecting it dubbed the way people were talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I'm not so sure it was the accent but more the dialogue that let it down. An 18th century Native American teenager talking like a 21st century 'Emo'. She was only short of uttering "OMG!" or "whatevvver" or "like you know.. duh!". It really did take away from an otherwise entertaining action flick.

Just to repeat what others have already mentioned, the cinematography is first rate. Well worth viewing but frustrating as it could have been a real contender if it weren't for the.. like off putting dialogue like.

If you say so. Enough to turn it off anyway. Too many mentions of a dog grunting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve always assumed the predators have been here hundreds of times and we’ve only seen the 5 odd times that they didn’t win!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

it’s good little movie, like Cloverfield Lane, Trachtenberg does a lot with little.

The actors and their performances are very modern so I don’t think them speaking Comanche would have worked. It’s more than just their accents or dialogue, it’s how they express themselves. It suits the film’s script and story perfectly imo. It’s just a fun little film about a teen girl fighting an alien predator, it’s not trying to be historically accurate to how Native American Indians spoke and behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

What makes the original Predator so difficult to match is that it introduces the Predator, the bit by bit reveal of its capabilities, the whole buildup to the inevitable Arnie v Predator battle and how Arnie is going to overcome the seemingly impossible odds. All subsequent films suffer in comparison as we already know the Predator and its main capabilities, haven't seen the new one yet, would be interested to see what someone who had never seen any Predator film before thought of it and what they would think of the original if they saw it after Prey?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Correcto mundo!

Like alien. Loved the way the alien and face hugger was only seen rarely(still aliens is my favourite).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First things first, this not being in the cinema was a total waste. The cinematic brush was there, the canvas of streaming simply not appropriate.

To the film itself? It was a swaggering reminder what we've lost with the extinction of the mid-sized blockbuster: that crowd-pleaser with a modest but confidently executed scope and intent. Not a single beat in the plot was a surprise, nothing new was brought to table, only that the end result had a polish and steady direction that ensured the feature entertained throughout. Dan Trachtenberg is quietly putting together a CV establishing himself as a craftsman, the steady pair of hands. There aren't enough of those in mainstream Hollywood, and far too many Trevorrows.

This was nuts 'n bolts cinema in all the right ways: a straightforward story of the passage from teen to adult; the plot the right curve of mystery, discovery and stakes; the action perhaps lacking a signature flourish but still had the punch and impact of visceral danger; and the period was put to good use as a natural ring-fence around events. The set pieces were simple, nothing showy as said, but all smartly handled to the point the resolution wasn't a cheat, nothing convenient - just a neat bit of organic learning.

I miss this type of Hollywood. I miss the fun of an uncomplicated story, handled by a total pro. Here's a tall tale, told in 90 minutes (even if, ironically, it's a presequel to an existing IP).

Also, golf clap for that R rating being used without ever being gratuitous. The gore and blood was brief, shocking - but never leering either. Heads rolled, but we never stopped to stare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also also, forgot to add; I love that the bear nearly won. That would have made the move much shorter.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 60,634 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well since Predators don't actually exist and there has only been 5 films and they have lost to humans in each of those films they really aren't any good at this whole Predator thing.

Maybe the reason they keep going after humans is because the humans are the actual Predators and the aliens want to try and beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My favourite insane Metacritic user review of the film I’ve read complained that the film doesn’t show ‘sufficient respect’ to the predator.

Buddy, you’re talking about a fictional man-hunting alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was very solid. Lean, great cinematography, decent action and doesn't overreach. Thought the actors and accents were fine, it's not exactly putting itself forward as a historical drama piece, at the end of the day it's the latest in a string of movies about advanced aliens hunting humans for sport.

For what it is, it's about as good as it was ever going to be. Big thumbs up from me anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

(edit: referring to post deleted at user’s request)

Goes to show how utterly meaningless the ‘Mary Sue’ criticism is when the entire film focuses on the main character practicing, failing, learning from her mistakes, training, observing the predator, learning about the environment around her, narrowly escaping on several occasions and finally implementing the lessons she has learned over the entire course of the film to defeat the creature.

Still a ‘Mary Sue’ apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah I'm not really seeing the Mary Sue thing.

Naru is a capable hunter and tracker in her own right, and has permitted is just looking to take part in this key hunt. Her mother and brother are both supportive of this, and there's the usual skepticism from others without resorting to old tropes like "Duh woman's job is pick herbs" all the time.

She makes mistakes, comes up with new ideas and manages to take down a weakened Predator. I'd agree with the Mary Sue stuff if she managed to take on the Predator at full strength and win, but the whole situation is very comparable with Arnie in the first movie. Notices the Predator is "blind" towards cold things and sets up traps.

The last 40 mins or so were cracking. Funny that the star was a meek bank teller in hell or high water a few years back. I knew I recognised her from somewhere and had to google it. 7/10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Naru metamorphosises into a Mary Sue as the film progresses.

After a shaky start she butchers 5-6 French guys at close combat.

She barely gets a scratch on herself.

How she figures out that the Predator can see in infra red and her flowers will block his vision is tenuous at best.

He doesnt kill a severely wounded man feigning death so she deducing that he cant see him is pretty weak.

Especially after he still kills him.

Then Naru jumps off a branch around 20ft up in an Arya Stark manoeuvre and bests the Predator in hand to hand combat and lasoos him ffs.

How does she figure out his laser aiming system, seriously that is ludicrous.

It was more a Pocahontas coming of age film than a Predator film.

Decently shot and nice cinematography but a clunky preachy script.

The lead is decent enough, but there's a bit of Hollywood "strong female character" nonsense going on here and there, but it isn't as tiresome as it is elsewhere and, over all, it comes off

Wholeheartedly agree

The Predator himself is well handled and was menacing but he was left down badly in the finale.

I'd probably give in 6/10 , its way behind the original and Predators is better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭omerin

If it's raining outside and there's nothing else on, stick it on, it'll pass 90 mins. No real tension or edge of the seat moments, no scares. Had a lot of potential but it's a storyline that's been done to death and predicable 3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Was ok-ish I suppose in a 5.5 out of 10/over in an hour and a half kind of way..........nothing special, and certainly not one to get worked up about. Better than the last rubbish, which is hardly a difficult task, but no better than the likes of Predator 2 (which I was never crazy about), or Predators (an effort that seriously went down in estimation on a more recent viewing).

Was annoyed with the Comanche dub (more specifically the CC) as the little I'd read about the film a while back suggested there was to be scenes shot in Comanche in addition to English. Sounded fanciful at the time TBH so I think some news sites got the wrong end of the stick, and so it proved to be. Switched over to the English, so perhaps someone who viewed the other can confirm whether or not later scenes were as suggested.

Other than that, it was fairly middle-of-the-road. Decent amount of blood for a modern film, girl in the lead was mostly OK and a little bit more fleshed out than some more derivative material, but eventually falls into a somewhat predictable path, taking on a Predator that's lifting bears and what not whereas everyone else falls by the wayside, taking out the 'evil French trappers' with ease. Stretches the believeability of a film which to its credit was somewhat grounded in spite of the matreial. Still, its hardly unexpected to see her waltzing back home with the head, as that was always going to happen.

Wasn't mad about the Predator design FWIW, plus I get that everyone knows what it is, but still a bit annoying to see it so early and so often. CGI bears and wolves also a bit of a distraction but it's the way of modern films. Liked some of the cinematography all the same, more so in the establishing shots, some of the night shoots could have been used more effectively though. Less impressive is some of the dialogue which comes across too modern, plus they couldn't help themselves with the eyerolling 'if it bleeds, we can kill it'.

I'd argue its a wasted opportunity, given the premise, but in truth it's a franchise that has one great film and middling to very poor for the rest, so is it all that surprising ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The term Mary Sue mostly says more about the person saying it than who they are saying it about.

• Advertisement

Well, this goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus approved.

Advertisement