Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

A lot of people are missing the basic point why this movie doesn't really work. It has nothing to do with the protagonist being a woman or a Comanche Indian or whatever else you are having. It doesn't work because the premise of the 'Predator' has been done to death, there are 7 films now with this creature doing what it basically does, so there is no suspense left, because every single film has just copied the basic model of the creature since the first one. Its gone plastic and mediocre, just like every other re-boot that wants to cash in on an original concept that worked and was actually clever. There is no suspense. This film like every other single sequel or reboot wants to capture the suspense of the first one. But they can't. The reason the first Predator film is a classic is because not only did the audience not know what genre of film they were entering into, the characters within the film itself didn't know what type of film they were in. If you just copy the basics of such a pretty basic but clever villain character trait for ever and ever it just isn't going to work, especially if the main character trait is revolved around suspense, which the 'Predator' ultimately is.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In fairness, it worked a damn sight better than the last one.

I never seen the last one T, last one I seen was the one with all the Earth villains being sent to the alien planet, the one with yer man from 'Vice Principals', I thought it was alright, but had no real inclination to watch any other ones because the whole thing has been done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That was 'Predators' (I think?). Wasn't gone on that either.

Honestly, I thought 'Prey' was a decent stab at a Predator story. Sure, the suspense element is going to be all but lost, but that's a given. As I said earlier though, all of these franchises need to just die, Aliens, Predator, Indy, Jurassic meh, etc. They've had their day. It's done.

There's really only one great movie in the series, and that's the first one.

I honestly don't know why they feel the need to reboot the first one anyways. Of course, the reason is to make loads of money, but the first film still holds up as a classic that can't be touched. Either technically or story-wise, even after 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,689 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would say right off the bat you're beginning with a very debatable statement - it would seem for the majority of people, this movie does work. I would say you being tired of all these other Predator/AVP movies is a reason it doesn't work for you.

For me at least, all but the first one and Predators are so relegated to the deepest depths of my memory that there's room for this one. Like Predators, this one took some of most interesting parts of the original and put its own spin and style on them. Of course neither will ever match up to the first, but that's ok. It is what it is, a decent way to spend ~90 minutes of an evening after work. I enjoyed it more than plenty of standalone monster movies anyway (and much much much preferred it to things like the new Jurassic World)

Well that's fair enough if it worked for you, but for me, the total lack of suspense is the main reason it didn't work for me. And there is a complete and total lack of suspense that is inherent within the context of the first one, which is the sole reason why the first one works so well. There is nothing within this film that has anything to say or enjoy except it wants to ape the first one and add some CGI effects and easter eggs into the equation. Now, that may be enjoyable to other people, I just see it as nothing but needlessness and a complete waste of time. I never actually seen any of the AVP ones, just the first two and the other one I was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,689 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mean, by this rationale, all monster movies fail the second you see the monster and the suspense of not having seen the monster is ended.

Like, we know the hero is going to win in the end, whether that's Arnie or Naru.

I would say the suspense of the monster is a particular reason why the first Predator was an absolute classic, because it's such a great monster. This one will never have that of course, but that doesn't make it an automatic failure. It just means it has to survive on its own merits, beyond just the monster, which of course is up to each individual viewer. For me, it does enough to still be a really fun watch. The last one, by contrast, did not.

Also, just because the suspense of the monster reveal was not there, doesn't mean the film wasn't suspenseful (just as the original remained suspenseful even once we saw Predator in full despite knowing Arnie was obviously going to win in the end). I was still held in suspense as to how each moment was going to play out in Prey, and found the film particularly well crafted in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Well first of all I love Predator 2. Getting a lot of stick here poor old Predator 2 and Danny Glover.

That aside, for me its about what you can put in a film that is still going to be believable. It might be a stretch, but if its possible at that stretch the viewer can stay engaged, emotionally connected and still believe even if its a fantasy. When you started doing stuff that is beyond the characters true abilities, it becomes video game esque because we are seeing stuff that's not real and not possible.

"Swift action that's expected", expected by who? Children? The Chinese market? Ok yes in the Super hero movies and whatever other blockbusters that are essentially cartoons made into adult films you need this hyper fast fighting etc. Our belief is suspended before we even start watching. But that is those films, we know they are from kids comics books.

Predator is supposed to feel real and scary like the original which if you can remember the first time you watched it you were probably scared a lot, and it was a seriously intense viewing experience. Its not possible when you do this hyper kind of action that is not physically possible.

I grew up on these films especially the Jackie Chan ones. The difference they are performing the stunts in these films. Even when he drives down a mountain through a shanty town, someone is actually driving that car and the stunt was set up. So you can see it being done for real and you believe. It was a wow factor because of that. There is a big emotional disconnect when its blatantly obvious its not real and CGI's etc with special powers. And on top of this they have the weird slapstick over there in those JC action movies, the OTT emotions etc, so you always feel a little bit that its partially comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

should make a film of a Human going to the Predator home planet and hunting them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

A cross between intersteller and Predator. Could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Retractable?

Wasn't it just an axe tried to a bit of string?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would be hard to make without it descending into a Generic Alien Movie. Aliens was the quintessential masterstroke that turned a Serial Killer / Haunted House movie into a War Movie ... but not sure how you got there with the Predators.

Would certainly like to see some kind of switch up though for any sequel; maybe the lead character IS the Predator, injured and trying to avoid some Human marines or some-such (made comically evil so we can side with the Ugly Motherfudger protagonist)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Got to see this last night after watching Predator 1 & 2 first as refreshers as I hadn't seen them in years.

Glad I did as I enjoyed them as I did Prey.

Predator is what it is, an alien that enjoys hunting and each movie is a separate adventure for them.

No lore, no backstory, no romances, family issues or sub-plots. Just action and violence.

I thought this one was done very well, was a visual treat (some shots were definitely for the cinema) and was thoroughly enjoyable 100 minutes that I will have forgotten about in a few weeks.

This thread is laughable with complaints of Mary Sue, White knights and even about the Comanche language not being used pitting people off.

Did people complain about everybody speaking English in Schindler's List or even Star Wars? Ridiculous complaint.

Some movies are to be enjoyed for what they are, an entertaining action flick and should not be over-analysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think I saw Predator 2 some time in the 90s but don't remember it at all (beyond a bit where the predator wouldn't attack someone because they were pregnant and the baby was unarmed?) and obviously I've seen the original a few times as it's shown on telly so frequently, pretty sure I haven't seen any of the others. I think Prey compares well to the original and thought the decision to set it in the past was a good one. The Mary Sue comments don't really hold up for me, the lead was clearly shown to be already training herself as a hunter and had numerous montages depicting her continuing to train, develop her skills, endure her failures and earn her wins. The scene where she dispatches a bunch of trappers was way OTT but in a series kicked off by a classic Schwarzenegger performance, a bit of OTT violence is to be expected imo. It's not like Star Wars where an untrained girl suddenly surpasses all other practitioners of the form of "magic" she possesses the ability to use because she's so special...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I just watched it for what it is – switch off you brain action film that essentially has the same type story as the other predator films, but at the same time is a very well made movie. I didn’t at any time think to myself that the action parts were ridiculous. I was just entertained by the film.

The only part that got me puzzled was I did ponder on how she got the predator to shoot itself. She had obviously set the helmet thing in a particular position to aim at the predator when he stood what had to be a specific position. And was counting on the fact that predator would shoot when he is in that specific position.

Anyway, that’s the only thing that got me thinking anything negative. Maybe I am wrong in that analysis. I haven’t watched it back. As was repeated here, and as I suggested myself, it’s a sc-fi movie. We know that going into it. If the writer/director/producer wants to bring anything into the film, in my opinion, they have license to. 

Also, how come at the end of Predator 2, when the Predator was killed that a bunch of his buddies turned up immediately to retrieve his body but in this film she could claim his head as a trophy an nobody turned up (apart from 3 incoming ships in the animated credits, must be for Prey 2).

those other predators were on the ship in L.A overseeing the hunt , that's what the common explanation is/was apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting timeline of the Predator movies from AV Club

Includes the plot of Prey.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Ah yes, looking back that makes complete sense now, as I always thought they just appeared there but they were there all the time and witnessed the killing and were impressed, hence the reward of the pistol.

Only took me 32 years to work that out.😀

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I haven't checked but was the pistol that featured in Prey the same one that was seen in the Predator ship from Predator 2?

yup, so my thinking is some more preds wiped out the tribe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Yeah , the physics of such a weapon seem suspect. Its like a fantasy type weapon wielded by the likes of Thor and Kratos.

According to lore Predators return to claim the dead and collect their tech so it doesn't fall into enemy hands. Slaying the tribe goes against their code of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,059 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I just watched it. It's not perfect but it's not terribly bad either.

Such a pity it was not released in the cinemas. I would have went to see it 3 times at least but sure I will just watch it for free instead on my phone.

I thought it was very dark and hard to see in parts and some of the scenes were hard to make out what was going on too. Like the last fight with Naru and the predator I have watched it twice already and still could not makeout how she cut off the Predators arm or how the laser pointer reflected like it did.

I would give it 7 out of 10.

It might have gotten 9 or 10 out of 10 had it been in the cinema and a little more light and care gone into the film.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah, someone needs to be fired. It's a definite cinema release. Far far worse gets cinema releases and do well

In terms of the series stacking it sits with Predator 2, below the original.

I always feel that P2 gets unfairly maligned. If it was the original film it would be viewed as a very good 80/90s action/sci-fi. But it didn't have Arnie so gets lamblasted. It really gives claustrophobic feel to LA during a hot and horribly humid summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Saw some of The Predator last night, had forgotten how unbelievably bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,318 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its not a slam dunk, its one thing paying a few bucks to seeing it online versus shelling out 50 or 60 to go see it in the cinema. Its clearly not summer blockbuster material ,

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I would have much preferred to see it on the big screen. Would not have taken much at all for that to do quite well in the cinema. what's in at the moment worth seeing?

It's the first home film, in a long time, that I did not look at my phone once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The movie has reviewed well and has enjoyed excellent word of mouth; there's no good reason it couldn't have been a modest success as a midtier release. Disney obviously had no faith in the franchise and perhaps, are too obsessed with mega hits.

This film could have easily made its (presumably) low budget back, with the rest being gravy.

Advertisement