If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony STR-DN1080 vs Soundbar

Options
  • 24-11-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Looking for some advice.

I currently have an Onyko TX-NR515 and Bose AM 15 speaker system attached to an LG 55C8 OLED TV.

I'm interested in upgrading the sound system to one that is Dolby Atmos compatible but not sure of best way of doing this. As the TV doesn't have eARC I believe that anything connected to the ARC HDMi port will not receive an uncompressed Atmos signal and the way around this is to connect Blueray player etc. directly to soundbar/receiver.

As the cabling of the AM 15's is run under the floor I really dont want to change the speakers as that cable is bespoke to the Bose system so need to either just replace the receiver (and get upfiring speakers for Atmos for use with the Bose) or replace the current system with a suitable soundbar (in which case I'll take the AM 15's down).

From what I've read, the Sonos Arc is a very good soundbar but really needs a suitable TV with eARC to make the most out of it due to there being only a single HDMI, is that the case? The TV is also on its stand and is not wall mounted so soundbar ideally needs to be fairly low profile (about the same as an AM 15 cube on its side).

I have a number of Sonos speakers (including Beam and pair of One's in another room) so adding the Arc expands that overall system  but any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

RDMH wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Looking for some advice.

I currently have an Onyko TX-NR515 and Bose AM 15 speaker system attached to an LG 55C8 OLED TV.

I'm interested in upgrading the sound system to one that is Dolby Atmos compatible but not sure of best way of doing this. As the TV doesn't have eARC I believe that anything connected to the ARC HDMi port will not receive an uncompressed Atmos signal and the way around this is to connect Blueray player etc. directly to soundbar/receiver.

As the cabling of the AM 15's is run under the floor I really dont want to change the speakers as that cable is bespoke to the Bose system so need to either just replace the receiver (and get upfiring speakers for Atmos for use with the Bose) or replace the current system with a suitable soundbar (in which case I'll take the AM 15's down).

From what I've read, the Sonos Arc is a very good soundbar but really needs a suitable TV with eARC to make the most out of it due to there being only a single HDMI, is that the case? The TV is also on its stand and is not wall mounted so soundbar ideally needs to be fairly low profile (about the same as an AM 15 cube on its side).

I have a number of Sonos speakers (including Beam and pair of One's in another room) so adding the Arc expands that overall system  but any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi RDMH,

Thanks for the post!

The best option for sound quality would be to replace the amplifier and keep the speakers so long as the Bose cabling is compatible. This way all you would have to do is add two Atmos speakers and run everything directly to the amp. You still wouldn't get Atmos from the TV as it doesn't have eARC but a Blu Ray player or console will give you the Atmos for pass through. You would need to check the speakers first though as a lot of Bose subs act as an amp and won't take a standard sublink connection!

The ARC would be a great addition as well but you would also need to add the sub. It would still give a great sound and would allow you to lonk your other wireless speakers in though!

Check the speaker terminals first though as I think a new amp would be the way forward!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

Hi Lads,

Looking for some advice.

Thanks
    Hi RDMH,

Thanks for the post!

The best option for sound quality would be to replace the amplifier and keep the speakers so long as the Bose cabling is compatible. This way all you would have to do is add two Atmos speakers and run everything directly to the amp. You still wouldn't get Atmos from the TV as it doesn't have eARC but a Blu Ray player or console will give you the Atmos for pass through. You would need to check the speakers first though as a lot of Bose subs act as an amp and won't take a standard sublink connection!

The ARC would be a great addition as well but you would also need to add the sub. It would still give a great sound and would allow you to lonk your other wireless speakers in though!

Check the speaker terminals first though as I think a new amp would be the way forward!

Kind regards

David
    Hi Dave,

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Attached is a picture of how the Bose sub connects to the current Onyko, I think this is fairly standard.

Assuming there are no issues with this, what receiver would you recommend? Also, I presume there would be no issues with placing upfiring speakers on my TV stand either side of the TV, would that be right?

Hi Lads,

Looking for some advice.

Thanks
    Hi RDMH,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David
    Hi Dave,

Attached is a picture of how the Bose sub connects to the current Onyko, I think this is fairly standard.

Assuming there are no issues with this, what receiver would you recommend? Also, I presume there would be no issues with placing upfiring speakers on my TV stand either side of the TV, would that be right?
    Hi RDMH,

That's a standard sublink cable so you should have no issues!

I'd recommend either the new Denon AVRX2700 or the Yamaha RXV6A which are both stunning amps!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14159-denon-avrx2700-black-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14194-yamaha-rxv6a-black-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx

Kind regards

David

Hi Lads,

Looking for some advice.

Thanks
    Hi RDMH,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David
    Hi Dave,

Hi RDMH,

I'd recommend either the new Denon AVRX2700 or the Yamaha RXV6A which are both stunning amps!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14159-denon-avrx2700-black-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14194-yamaha-rxv6a-black-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

I'd lean more towards the Denon thna the Yamaha, looks like it has stronger reviews. Any reason why you'd choose this over the Sony STR-DN1080?

Would the Eltax Monitor ATMs be suitable Atmos speakers to accompany the Bose AM 15s?

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203576-eltax-monitor-atm-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx 

Kind regards,

Robert

Hi Lads,

Looking for some advice.

Thanks
    Hi RDMH,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David
    Hi Dave,

Hi RDMH,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

I'd lean more towards the Denon thna the Yamaha, looks like it has stronger reviews. Any reason why you'd choose this over the Sony STR-DN1080?

Would the Eltax Monitor ATMs be suitable Atmos speakers to accompany the Bose AM 15s?

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203576-eltax-monitor-atm-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx 

Kind regards,

Robert
    Hi RDMH,

The Denon supports 8K passthrough whereas the Sony doesn;t so it's more future proofed!

The Eltax are also a great Atmos speaker but I would recommend the Elac Debut A4s for sound quality!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203404-elac-debut-a4-mk2-atmos-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi RDMH,

The Denon supports 8K passthrough whereas the Sony doesn;t so it's more future proofed!

The Eltax are also a great Atmos speaker but I would recommend the Elac Debut A4s for sound quality!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203404-elac-debut-a4-mk2-atmos-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice and assistance, as it's Black Friday this weekend I'll hold back to see if there is any further discount on these (or other receivers that migh move into my price range). The Denon seems to be the way to go although I have heard that there is an issue with the Denon and X Box Series X running 120FPS that I want to look into.

I presume the Denon is in stock and can be shipped to Dublin without any issues. Can you also advise there are any shipping costs?

Regards

Robert

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi RDMH,

thanks for the post - the DENON AVRX2700 is in stock and available for shipping

Its currently 629€ including delivery
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-14159-denon-avrx2700-black-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx?swapstore=1

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John,

Was hoping there would be a BF discount on the Denon AVRX-2700H and the Elac Debut A4s (or Eltax Monitor ATMs) but don't seem to see any BF deals on the website, what's the best price in Euro for these? I'll also need about 5/6 meters of suitable speaker cable for the atmos speakers, what would you recommend? 

I can't place the atmos speakers on top pf my front speakers due to these being small Bose AM 15's from about 20 years ago and I can't mount them on the wall either so I'll need to place these either side of the TV (which means they will be about half way between TV centre speaker and front speakers), will this work or am I wasting my time with that type of setup and better off getting a decent soundbar or just sticking to a 5.1 setup with updated receiver?

I can get the Denon from a supplier in Dublin for the same price as yourselves, they also have the Jamo S8 ATMs for €209 (which from what I can see gets fairly good reviews) so hoping that you can do a better deal than that as I'd rather continue dealing with you guys.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi John,

Was hoping there would be a BF discount on the Denon AVRX-2700H and the Elac Debut A4s (or Eltax Monitor ATMs) but don't seem to see any BF deals on the website, what's the best price in Euro for these? I'll also need about 5/6 meters of suitable speaker cable for the atmos speakers, what would you recommend? 

I can't place the atmos speakers on top pf my front speakers due to these being small Bose AM 15's from about 20 years ago and I can't mount them on the wall either so I'll need to place these either side of the TV (which means they will be about half way between TV centre speaker and front speakers), will this work or am I wasting my time with that type of setup and better off getting a decent soundbar or just sticking to a 5.1 setup with updated receiver?

I can get the Denon from a supplier in Dublin for the same price as yourselves, they also have the Jamo S8 ATMs for €209 (which from what I can see gets fairly good reviews) so hoping that you can do a better deal than that as I'd rather continue dealing with you guys.
    Hi RDMH.

Seems the 2700 was not part of our Black Friday deals.

Best price on a 2700 at the minute would be £530 delivered. We also include our VIP 6 year guarantee with the 2700 free of charge.

The ATM's will still work sitting on your rack, as long as they are facing upwards.
    I could go £170 the Debut A4's or £119 on the ATM's.

It will be very hard to find a soundbar that can compete with a 5.1 system.
    If it was me I would upgrade the Amp and forget about a soundbar.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks, what would the Euro price on these be? Can you also advise on suitable speaker cable and price (6 meters should be enough)?

Once I have this information I should be ready to proceed with placing the order so let me know how best to do this.

Thanks to all for the help.

Robert

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny,

Thanks, what would the Euro price on these be? Can you also advise on suitable speaker cable and price (6 meters should be enough)?

Once I have this information I should be ready to proceed with placing the order so let me know how best to do this.

Robert
    Hey RDMH.

It would come in at 600 Euro and I can throw in 6 meters of our Ultra Micro free of charge. (It retails at £3.19 per meter).

The A4 would work out at 193 Euro and the ATM's at 135 Euro.

Once you are ready to order drop me a PM and I will call you ASAP.

I'm still calling back customers that have PM'd me as it been crazy today

Thanks Kenny,

Just sent you a PM, I'm here all evening and available in the morning, whatever suits you best.

Thanks again for all the advice and help, top class as always.

Robert

Thanks Kenny,

Just sent you a PM, I'm here all evening and available in the morning, whatever suits you best.

Thanks again for all the advice and help, top class as always.

Robert
    Cheers RDMH.

I have the order onto our system and will drop you a call in the morning if that's ok to finalise things.

Hi Kenny,

That's perfect.

Chat to you tomorrow.

Robert

Hi Kenny,

That's perfect.

Chat to you tomorrow.

Robert
    Have a good evening RDMH :)

Hi Kenny,

Just following up on the above, available whenever suits to complete this order.

Cheers.

Hi Kenny,

Just following up on the above, available whenever suits to complete this order.

Cheers.
    Hey RDMH.

We will call you straight away :o

Hi Kenny,

Robert
    Hey RDMH.

It would come in at 600 Euro and I can throw in 6 meters of our Ultra Micro free of charge. (It retails at £3.19 per meter).

Hi Kenny,

Received the Denon and Debut A4s this morning (thank you) but there was no speaker cable included, can this be sent down?

Give me a call if needed.

Thanks

Hi Kenny,

Robert
    Hey RDMH.

Hi Kenny,

Received the Denon and Debut A4s this morning (thank you) but there was no speaker cable included, can this be sent down?

Give me a call if needed.

Thanks
    Hey RDMH.

Sorry about that.
    It was soooo busy yesterday it seems it was missed :(

I will get it posted out to you today.

Hi Kenny,

That's great, thanks.

Robert

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny,

That's great, thanks.

Robert
    No problem RDMH!

Hi Kenny, David,

Just want to let you know that DHL have just delivered the speaker cable, looks like it must have been in the van all along or got separated from the rest of the package so no need to send anything else out.

Thanks again.

Robert

Hi Kenny, David,

Just want to let you know that DHL have just delivered the speaker cable, looks like it must have been in the van all along or got separated from the rest of the package so no need to send anything else out.

Thanks again.

Robert
    Hey Robert.

We dispatched you another order of cable today so you can just keep a hold of it when it arrives on us in-case you need anymore of something.

Thanks for letting us know the original turned up.

Thanks Kenny, I'll be back in touch when I'm changing my speakers next year!

Thanks Kenny, I'll be back in touch when I'm changing my speakers next year!
    No problem at all RDMH.

Enjoy your new toys :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.