Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin after Covid

Options
  • 24-11-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Listening to David McWilliams here. What do you think will be the future of Dublin once Covid has gone? Everything will return on some level but it's hard to see things returning to the conditions that allowed Dublin to expand and thrive over the last few years. Will small countries, especially isolated countries that need to be reached by plane, be the losers out of this new post Covid order?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I suppose there's a much larger question about the value of large cities with high costs of living across the world, particularly in countries with good telecoms infrastructure. I think that people will still gravitate towards big cities, it's in our nature. But the extent to which that is true maybe reduced for some years, with people from rural backgrounds opting to remain closer to home. Cities will still grow, just probably not as quick as before, at least in the next few years. Gradually the effects of covid will fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/08/future-of-cities-covid-19/

Just reading this here which paints a bright future for the global city. My worry about Dublin is that it will be left behind. Not over night but in a post Covid world, with Brexit and power increasingly going towards the east, large companies will be orientated more towards the continent. Perhaps Ireland, especially in a world of a harmonized EU taxation system, will not be European enough given its location?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Just reading this here which paints a bright future for the global city. My worry about Dublin is that it will be left behind. Not over night but in a post Covid world, with Brexit and power increasingly going towards the east, large companies will be orientated more towards the continent. Perhaps Ireland, especially in a world of a harmonized EU taxation system, will not be European enough given its location?

Location? If Covid has thought us anything it's that physical locations are being less important as technology has allowed remote working and connectivity to come to the fore of a huge amount of industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is the whole point not that our Island location is less relevant than ever in economic terms. I would think the issue is more for people who's job is based in Ireland, is it more attractive to live in Ireland or in Cyprus/Malta/The Canaries, i.e. more peripheral regions of Europe with better weather, more affordability, same currency, more family orientated culture and. I really don't think covid will convince more people to locate themselves around the BENULUX/Northwest Germany/Paris areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

My worry for Dublin or thoughts are that there is a reset coming with Covid. Now, there's many reasons to continue operating in Dublin but they are contingent on knowledge spillovers, network effects. If you take these out of the equation why stay here? Why not go to where the action is? In a Dublin now cut off from the UK, Dublin seems very removed from the EU. London was a nice bridge but who knows what will happen down the road?

• Advertisement
Advertisement