Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options
  • 24-11-2020 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

One week until December, so it's time to roll out...

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

s-l300.jpg

Like last year, there will be one Christmas themed question each day from the 1st to Christmas Eve.
    Unlike last year, the answer each day will be a number. Your score will depend on how close your answer is to everyone else's (there is a "correct" answer, but I don't always know what it is!)

For example, I might ask "How many turkeys will be cooked in Ireland on Christmas day?"

Let's say most people say around 1 million, if you say 1 million you'll get about 10pts. If you say 7 you'll get hardly any points, maybe even lose points! :eek:

Honestly, that's all you need to know. No mathematical knowledge required, but the next post will give unnecessary detail in case you're curious.

I'll post the question each day about 9am (no, no earlier, don't be harassing me at 2am!)
    PM me answers by 7pm.
    I'll do a mini reveal each evening about 8-8:30pm (depending on toddler bedtime!)

That's it. No sign-up required, if you want to play then follow this thread and check back on December 1st :D

Of course, if you want to hype it up and engage in pre-match banter now that would be fun! And if you want to recruit new players that would be great (I'll head over to the Christmas forum to let them know)

Ho ho ho, here we go!

Oh, edit: this will be a no google game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Unnecessary detail!
    You don't need to read this if you don't want

So... each day the best answer will be the median. That is, the middle answer if they're all put in order. That answer will be worth 10pts

Other answers will receive fewer points based on how close they are to the median. How many fewer depends on the standard deviation of the answers. If everyone's very close the reduction will be more severe, if the answers are really spread out then less so. This is to ensure each day's answers get treated about the same, whether the answer is around 10 or a million

This is how it will actually work:
    SCORE = 10 - 5*abs(ANSWER-MEDIAN)/SD

If you miss a day, you'll score zero

Foolproof, right?! :o

giphy.gif

So it's possible for one to give the exact correct answer to a question but still score terribly if everyone else has given answers that are horribly wrong but similar to each other?

Or does the SD parameter take care of that? Nope, seems possible - you can get minus points for a correct answer if everyone else is a really terrible guesser! :D

l3hkRcx.png

This sounds fun and evil, so I'm in.

EN you're such a legend! Can't wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm in..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

So it's possible for one to give the exact correct answer to a question but still score terribly if everyone else has given answers that are horribly wrong but similar to each other?

Or does the SD parameter take care of that?

Same as sheep really!

Example: what is the best Christmas movie

I say Die Hard

1 other says die hard

7 say Elf

I only get 2 points for what is obviously the correct answer whereas the other get more for an obviously incorrect answer

:D

• Advertisement

Trigger wrote: »
    Same as sheep really!

Ok yeah, it makes more sense when you think of it as standard Sheep. I suspect this game will involve a lot more terrible guessing than most Sheep games though!

santalaughgifsforum1.gif

Of course, when I know the correct answer I'll be sure to let you know if that happens! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Thank you thank you thank you, so badly need a daily dose of sheep this year!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,297 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I could never get my head around standard deviation when I was in school, and I'm fcuked if I'm going to start understanding it now. I shall be entering and I'll just have to trust that EN doesn't abuse my ignorance too much...

Zaph wrote: »
    I could never get my head around standard deviation when I was in school, and I'm fcuked if I'm going to start understanding it now. I shall be entering and I'll just have to trust that EN doesn't abuse my ignorance too much...
    No mathematical knowledge required
    Trust me, I'm a doctor mathematician ;)

No, honestly no need to follow the gubbins behind the scene. Basically a good answer will score near 10 and terrible answers near zero. Really terrible answers might go negative!

I think/hope that after a day or two it'll be really clear and intuitive how it works. If not... well, we're stuck with it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

In !
    Please do not have Die Hard as the answer to a question :p

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    In !
    Die Hard isn't a number, Mam :o :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

In !

But it is a Christmas movie :D:P

In !

At Christmas, Die Hard is the answer to every question.

One of my preliminary questions was...

"We all agree Die Hard is the best Christmas film, but what was its worldwide box office takings, in dollars?"

...but that's a crap question and has been culled

(it was $139,109,346)

That also reminds me, this is a no google game!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Die Hard isn't a number, Mam :o :pac:

Die Hard 1 ,2, 3, 4 whatever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You could definitely do a question like "How many bullets are fired across all 5 Die Hard films?" or something along those lines.

There should definitely be a Die Hard question of some sort or else we won't know its a Christmas themed SHEEP... Die Hard being the universally accepted indicator that it is indeed Christmastime...

You could definitely do a question like "How many bullets are fired across all 5 Die Hard films?" or something along those lines.

There should definitely be a Die Hard question of some sort or else we won't know its a Christmas themed SHEEP... Die Hard being the universally accepted indicator that it is indeed Christmastime...
    tenor.gif

That's a good point. I'll see what I can do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

How about this: how many actors appear in Love Actually?

I take it that you just enter on an Advent Day if it suits.

I missed it last year. I had just come into these Forum Games via the music route and I was still finding my way around this mansion! :D

How about this: how many actors appear in Love Actually?
    Last year one of the questions was "Name an actor or actress from Love Actually" :p

That was standard sheep.
    Hugh Grant 23
    Keira Knightley 4
    Alan Rickman 2
    Liam Neeson 2
    Bill Nighy 1
    Emma Thompson 1
    I take it that you just enter on an Advent Day if it suits
    Ideally enter every day, I'll be keeping a running score all month and the winner will be crowned on Christmas Eve!
    If you do miss a day it'll be zero I'm afraid

If you (anyone that is) know you'll be offline for a day let me know, I can PM you the question in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm with Zaph on the Maths, not on the Christmas movie thing which is A Wonderful Life of course.

Sure I'm in, what's to lose. :o

Purgative wrote: »
    Only your sanity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,149 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was very good at maths in school, and statistics was a particularly favourite of mine, but that's a very long time ago.

So, this ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 29,149 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm with Zaph on the Maths, not on the Christmas movie thing which is A Wonderful Life of course.

Oi, it's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, everyone knows that :D

(with Sound of Music an honourable mention)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47wp1xvtvkmcwh5k5n95dr1ylp4msk98egi07n5u8e&rid=200w.webp

I'm with Zaph on the Maths, not on the Christmas movie thing which is A Wonderful Life of course

christmas-cute-home-alone-kevin-Favim.com-1644108.gif

When I was a kid those two films, along with The Wizard of Oz and Oliver!, were on every year without fail. Growing up in Ireland in the 70s was pretty grim, even at Christmas.

When I was a kid those two films, along with The Wizard of Oz and Oliver!, were on every year without fail. Growing up in Ireland in the 70s was pretty grim, even at Christmas.
    Whereas now you have such wonders as...

MV5BYTkxZDY2NjMtMDE2MC00ZDVjLWI4ZGYtYWIxYzM0OGIwMDRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI0Njk2Nzk0._V1_.jpg

(Haven't actually seen it, but the comments in the netflix thread aren't good!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I'm in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sheepish virgin here............I'm in

Advertisement