Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    After a near escape by re reading the question, I'm confused , is it total singers or just the ones who sang the verses?
    (I first thought it was Live Aid and hadn't enough fingers and toes to count on :o)
    Depends what everyone else thinks, no right answers in Sheepish ;)

No wrong answers either

Does that mean there's no answers? What are we all doing here? :confused:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm not going to google it, this time - it just adds to the pain of "Boy am I stupid" feeling .

At the end of the day

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e476ee2ahrdwluvo8ku3u97ga20wdenq1edtad4fu5z&rid=200w.webp

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    After a near escape by re reading the question, I'm confused , is it total singers or just the ones who sang the verses?
    (I first thought it was Live Aid and hadn't enough fingers and toes to count on :o)

There's more than one :eek:

If it makes any of ye feel better, I'm going to extend my lead at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

If it makes any of ye feel better, I'm going to extend my lead at the bottom.

There's no pressure down there Hello 2D, not that I'd swap places with you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Simon Le Bon sang a line or two of the song. But I know other members of Duran Duran were there too, and I'm sure they contributed to the backing vocals, so I'm counting them and the same with other similar groups. On that basis I'm up to around 4,500, but I think I might be understating it a bit.

Zaph wrote: »
    Simon Le Bon sang a line or two of the song. But I know other members of Duran Duran were there too, and I'm sure they contributed to the backing vocals, so I'm counting them and the same with other similar groups. On that basis I'm up to around 4,500, but I think I might be understating it a bit.

Good ruse but you're not genna shift me off - I know the answer. I expect to be going up a couple of notches this evening :P

Siobh73 wrote: »
    There's no pressure down there Hello 2D, not that I'd swap places with you...

RoBOQL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well there was Geldof, he did sing I think, so at least <1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Watched a docu on the making of the song and live aid a few years back on yt, its very interesting. Check it up if you're interested, highly recommended.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Watched a docu on the making of the song and live aid a few years back on yt, its very interesting. Check it up if you're interested, highly recommended.
    Does it cover whether you should count bands or individuals? :o

Really didn't see this being a controversial question, none of them are meant to be!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Does it cover whether you should count bands or individuals? :o

Really didn't see this being a controversial question, none of them are meant to be!

Controversy is what this forum thrives on!

Final little bump
    Q7: How many artists sang on the original (1984) version of Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid?

As always, PM me your answer before 7pm
    I'll reveal everyone's answers and scores around 8:00-8:30pm

Just waiting on Ecto, Reb, Sephi and Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Sent.

And wishing I

a) Read the question properly and
    b) Read the comments after the questions first

*headdesk*

And wishing I

*headdesk*

Wouldn't have made a difference. We're all just wrong as wrong can be. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Neowise

And wishing I

*headdesk*

I done the same, except for headdesk, instead i changed my answer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Final little bump

Just waiting on Ecto, Reb, Sephi and Ted

Id love it if ted had to sit on zaphs lap 😄😄

Just Reberetta left, will the lead be forfeited? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just Reberetta left, will the lead be forfeited? :eek:

It's mine I tells ya, all mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Id love it if ted had to sit on zaphs lap 😄😄

Just you wait until you don't have your gang of FGbuddies around you for support.

:mad:

And everyone's in :D

So, the correct answer is 40...
    i-img1200x1200-1551197972punkov1008621.jpg
    Did they all sing? Are some bands? I don't care :pac:

I still need to compile the results but they look good, I think the median will be close. As is becoming traditional for Sheepish Advent, we have one sacrificial lamb :o

Two people changed their answer, both got worse. I think there's a lesson there!

See you in an hour or so for the reveal :)

Today's comments...

Is lots an appropriate answer??? I haven't a clue to be honest

I know this answer too mainly because of the tournament :pac:

Omg I'm pretty sure I know this one!!!! Oh but what if other people don't? I feel like this is something that crops up in quizzes and stuff... A good few people will know...

Now! NOW! My christmasyness should be paying off today because I am LITERALLY listening to a christmas playlist as I type this. DTKIC hasn't come onto the playlist yet though and my conscience tells me I should just put in an answer now before it comes on and I can attempt to count people.

I know there's a lot of individual artists but that whole feed the world bit that goes on forever has a big group as far as I remember...

I could probably sit down and work through the song, but then you have to factor in all the musicians on the chorus. I can remember the video and there were a lot of musicians for the group shot...

Right, so there's Bono, Paul Young, George Michael, Boy George, Sting...that's only 5. I think Simon Le Bon was there. And I know Bananarama are in the music video, as is Lionel Richie iirc. There were a lot there that you can't actually hear. I'm assuming Sir Bob and Midge were there too...

Ok, so best way to go through this, who was involved
    U2 =4, Bananarama =3, (7) The Police =3, (10) Duran Duran =5, (15) Spandau Ballet =5 (20) Boomtown Rats=6, (26) Midge Ure =1 (27) Paul Young =1 (27)
    Culture Club =4 (31) Big Country =4 (35) Status Quo = 2 (37)

Hey EN, great game last night. Should have been a booking for Cody, blatant dive. Nice to see Gini and Matip score, Fulham next then Spurs at home. Oh, right, the answer...

...this is definitely very close to the actual correct answer, I remember reading this years ago.

It’s time to put No62 back on the door I stole it off and use a new number. I’m quite confident in knowing the “correct” answer to this but not confident in the rest of the mob playing this game.

Oh I dunno, I can't even remember who was on it apart from Bono and Geldof, vaguely remember George Michael and Lionel Richie being on it but wouldn't be confident... And were ABBA on it? Or am I just thinking of their Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! A Man After Midnight video? Literally anyone that was knocking about in the '80s that I remember ever seeing wearing headphones in a music video I think could've been in it. Like were Womack & Womack on it or have I just seen the Teardrops video too many times? I'm starting to question my own existence at this point and its only Day 7.

More than 1 , less than 100

45.I think it is less but some dum dums are bound to guess in the hundreds or even thousands and screw up the average.
    ...ten minutes later...
    I've been thinking that I might be underestimating the dum dums so I'll change my answer to 150.

Absolutely convinced these people are all scamming on the thread :pac: I think the number may be higher but will go with...

...where the only water flowing will be my bitter sting of tears when this is way off.

I'm trying to imagine the big group sing at the end of the video, I think there are about 3 or 4 rows of people, 10 people in each row...

Heard this being discussed literally last night at about 4am on some playback show on De Wireless! But do you think I paid any attention? All I can remember is that there are 4 people who weren't in the group silhouette photo on the vinyl single artwork :(

Bono
    Geldof
    Wham
    Duran Duran
    Boy George
    Bananarana
    Paul whatshisname
    Ehhhhhhh...

So, I don't think it matters what an artist actually is, cos none of these people know either! So I'll guess at individuals...

I prefer the one with Dizzee Rascal on it because I’m cool and young.

I always feel like I should be putting something more in my PM's whenever I'm sending in an answer or a sheeps/peehs etc.

Ummm right Band-Aid...Do they Know It's Christmas... Bono and Bob Geldof were on it so at least two...

kalessi and siobh make good points. artists who sang. changing my answer

Just got to say that I preferred you last year :p What is with these questions!?! Tree heights and now guess the artists but you don't know if people are counting all members of a band as one or individually.

This one should be a ****show :D

I don't consider Bono a singer. Can a discount him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Oh dear. I was very wrong here. Not as wrong as the person who likes Dizzee Rascal but that won’t hurt him/her as much on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I think I'm the Sacrificial Lamb :eek:
    Mutton chops anyone ?

:D

Collie D wrote: »
    Not as wrong as the person who likes Dizzee Rascal...
    You could say they're....

...wait for it...

...bonkers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Couple of facts.

All of U2 were NOT on the record. Adam Clayton appears in the video but maybe he did not sing.

Paul McCartney, Holly Johnson and David Bowie seem to be counted even though they did not sing on the A Side (the actual song) - they did give messages on the B Side.

Lionel Ritchie was NOT on the record. He was part of USA for Africa's We Are The World. I think people are confusing him with James Taylor of Kool and the Gang, who indeed was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You could say they're....

...wait for it...

...bonkers :D

Ah Jesus.

I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Couple of facts.

All of U2 were NOT on the record. Adam Clayton appears in the video but maybe he did not sing.

Paul McCartney, Holly Johnson and David Bowie seem to be counted even though they did not sing on the A Side (the actual song) - they did give messages on the B Side.

Lionel Ritchie was NOT in the lineup. He was part of USA for Africa's We Are The World. I think people are confusing him with James Taylor of Kool and the Gang, who indeed was there.

Oh yeah, and Abba had broken up long before Band Aid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Think Declan may be overestimating how much some of us know (or should know) about Band Aid.

There's a few of us around here I reckon, myself included, who think DTKIC is an awful song and only have a vague recollection of who was or was not involved.

The only two I was certain of were Bono and Geldof. Not to mention the song was released about three years before I was born.

Although fairplay on the knowledge Declan (always great with the facts in fairness to you), I'd say you'd do well on Mastermind.

Advertisement