Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

But what about the letters that go to Santa via Supervalue post boxes? They all get replies from Santa ( and you saved a euro ) so you'd need to minus off the Supervalue letters

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The more I think about it , I'm convinced my number is way too low . How many children are in Ireland , under a certain age , of a faith that believes in Santa ??
    My poor lonely little brain cell is hurting today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Siobh73 wrote: »
    I think only the kids ones get a reply and those are tallied too. They read all of them

That job sounds a lot like Nitwit reading our answer PMs. But instead of sending nice letters back about being a good little boy/girl he takes the piss out of us by printing them all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Collie D wrote: »
    That job sounds a lot like Nitwit reading our answer PMs. But instead of sending nice letters back about being a good little boy/girl he takes the piss out of us by printing them all here.
    I send nice replies to all the good boys and girls too. If you didn't get one you need to ask yourself why ;)

When you have one of those faces can you blame him?

Funny enough, for a work thing, I was looking for some old photos of me with Santa and I came across one when I was nearly three and I have a face like thunder on me. In my defence the Santa is very thin and his fake beard is off to one side, three year old me is NOT impressed.
    Shelly, I don't think you've entered yet, is that right?
    If you have could you resend it? I may have messed up my PMs

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »

I'm grateful mine aren't interesting enough to be posted here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I send nice replies to all the good boys and girls too. If you didn't get one you need to ask yourself why ;)

I like being naughty so score!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I'm grateful mine aren't interesting enough to be posted here :D

Ah, no. He just keeps yours for himself I reckon.

I can't wait to see what all the tryhards sent to Nitwit today.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Shelly, I don't think you've entered yet, is that right?
    If you have could you resend it? I may have messed up my PMs

I feel like I've been called out by the teacher for messing in the classroom :(

Well sir, I just sent my homework in there :pac:

• Advertisement

I feel like I've been called out by the teacher for messing in the classroom :(

Well sir, I just sent my homework in there :pac:
    Ha ha, not at all.
    Boards only let's you have 500 PM's which fills up quickly playing a game like this! I deleted loads earlier and was worried I'd messed up when I saw you post on thread

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    The more I think about it , I'm convinced my number is way too low . How many children are in Ireland , under a certain age , of a faith that believes in Santa ??
    My poor lonely little brain cell is hurting today :pac:

I'm convinced mine is way too high :( my brainy also hurty

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

EN Do we include man children in this as well? 🤔🤔

EN will everyone else think we include man children in this as well? 🀔🀔
    ;)

EN Do we include man children in this as well? 🀔🀔

I included the likes of you in my calculations anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I included the likes of you in my calculations anyway.

Ok then so.......I'll add.........half a million + 1 (me) to my total then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Ok then so.......I'll add.........half a million + 1 (me) to my total then :D

I'd love to see answers like: 500,001; 100.001; 9.999; 2222; 1,999; 888 or 111!

Everyone's entered :)

So I can tell you the correct answer, according to an post, is 140,000

I'm ready earlier today, let's go for the reveal at 7!

NO it isnt cant be, thats not what i put down
    Nooooooooo

To keep you going until then, there were a lot of comments today...!

Remember telling my eldest about it last year...

I'm not even thinking about this today, stab in the dark

What happens to the letters that go up the chimney though, do they just get incinerated there and then or do they end up in your neighbours back garden I always wondered

Dude!! Seriously... what the hell... Purely off population, ages, etc I'm guessing

I thought this one might be easy to work out bearing in mind we know the demographics...but I actually have no idea how many children there are of Santa-believing age or even what age kids stop believing in Santa. This could be disastrous. Now if you'd said Fastway instead of An Post I could probably tell you that they all end up arriving in the South Pole on the 26th of December soaking wet and left under a penguin nest.

Oh this is gonna be a bad day. I can tell. Do we assume that children these days email Santa because we live in the future now and letters are for chumps? As a childfree person this is not a good question for me at all. All I have to go on is my only nephew. I think he wrote a letter. But did his mother actually post it? The more I think about this the lower my guess gets. We used to just stuff our letters up the chimney in the living room. And magically they were gone the next morning when we came downstairs. I've a feeling I'm gonna be the outlier today though. But sure feck it. I'm never gonna win anyway and I'm enjoying the moral dilemma every day. Gives me something to fret about. :D

What do they do with them? Sling them straight in the bin?

Another wild guess, and kind of playing it safe, hoping to be close to the mean.

How many kids in Ireland, a million? What percentage would post a letter? I never used to for my kids as we had a fire so the letters went up the chimney as that was Santa’s mode of delivering presents. How many kids have a fire in there house? With all these Greta types floating around the kids probably got their parents to block up the fireplace and install a heat recovery system. Good thing Greta is an adult now as Santa would not be pleased that his access has been removed. He would probably give her a present with loads of plastic wrapping that cuts the hand off ya and millions of those little plastic ties holding your present in place in said plastic. There was always one tie that you would forget to untie, wasn’t there?

Well now do I answer the question you asked or the question i think you meant to ask? If it's the question you asked then the answer is zero because they don't deliver the letters to Santa. If the question is meant to be how many letters do An Post send to children in reply to their letters then...

Estimate the number of children under 13, subtract those who are sceptical or have been told they are on the naughty list, add 6 to the total and increase by another 1%. Then change your mind twice, each time increasing by 1,000. What could possibly go wrong?

Is it sad that these are turning into ther highlight of my mornings???

That's a hum dinger of a question though.... think I might be getting badly roasted on this one.

Is that number too big? Too small? Do most children not put them up the chimney? Are there even children in Ireland? I haven’t seen one in months.

Let's say there are 4.7 million people in Ireland, roughly. Without any justification, let us assume 15% are of letter-to-Santa-writing age. Allowing for children who don't celebrate Christmas and families that send one letter for all the kids, let's say one letter is sent for every 3 children.

Mathletes assemble! There is about 900k under 12's in ireland, how many believe in Santa hmm then how many would use An Post instead of a good aul Chimney. Its say its a small % probably about 20-25%. I did perfect calculations in my head for this, no need to write it down

Ah for fekk sake, who even bothers counting them?

They probably don't even have to put a stamp on the letter to Santa, in a way it's the Children's fault that An Post have money problems. Stupid Kids....
    I don't know, how many kids are there between 2 and 10/11 in the country...? Haven't got a donkeys clue

Gawd these questions! I sit down try to work out rational answer but really they are fancy guesses sheesh!!!!

Who knows? An Post probably just feed them into a shredder anyway.

Do people actually post their letters through An Post? We never did this!

Another exercise in first deciding how many digits, and having decided that, randomly stabbing the numbers keyboard that number of times. Oh, the scientific precision of it all! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna guess there's 1 million children in ireland. Now I'm gonna start knocking 100,000s of that for various things.
    -100,000 for different cultures/religions that don't celebrate it.
    -200,000 for kids that are too old
    -100,000 for the kids with **** parents who don't let them indulge in Santa
    -100,000 for people who do weird things like cook their letter and make an ornament out of it...

I don't know how many children there are in the Country, except that there are too many of them, so picking a number out of thin air...

I really want to say 0, because Santa isn't real - yeah that's right, I said it! :D But that will get me a terrible score in this format, so let's not do that

I could be way way waaay off, but I haven't the time or brainpower to do calculations so just went for something with a lot of zeros. :p

The answer is surely ZERO because, however hard Tim Allen and his fake son may try to convince us, he doesn't exist! But that's not going to get me points so...

Right, there's about 60000 students in any year nationally in school. Kids who write to Santa are probably 3-8 for the most part. So that's 300,000 kids but that would be if everyone wrote to Santa, and I'd say there are just some kids (and parents) who can't be arsed, so I'd say half of that...

Why am I playing this game again?
    So...maybe 1.5 million under 18s?
    Maybe a third of them Santa writing age?
    But not all of them will write and send through post. Maybe 1 in 5...which would give me 100k...
    **** it.

So lets think of this logically..... There's what about 50,000 - 60,000 sit the Leaving Cert each year. Lets take the average of 55,000. I'm guessing that 3 year olds will grasp the concept of Santa somewhat and probably around 11 you'd stop writing to him as you don't want to still be writing to him as you go to Secondary school. So far we have 55,000 kiddos multiplied by 8 (3 to 11 year olds in the country) giving us 440,000 letters. Now we must adjust for the non Christian/Jews, etc that don't do Santa, the illiterate and the parents that couldn't be arsed (aren't I a ray of sunshine spreading cheer :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ooh I wasn't too far off

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I hope An post just rely on the guy filling out O/T docket to answer the letters.

I'm just so screwed on this :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ooh I wasn't too far off

Me neither but gauging on the reaction here the median could be anything from 500k to 7 billion.

:pac:

Woohoo! !

I didn't guess the right number but I'm happy enough that it wasn't such an abysmal stab in the dark . Yep , I'm easily pleased :pac:

100,000 for people who do weird things like cook their letter and make an ornament out of it...

This player submitted an answer after Khaleesi’s revelation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Oh no, I'm going to get a negative score :eek:

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ooh I wasn't too far off

I was! So much for my taking off those on the naughty list, adding 6, adding 1% and adding a few thousands! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've literally never heard of this chimney thing in my life...

Anyway, I think I've gone far too high based on the actual answer and the comments from all the chimney fetishists.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

I've literally never heard of this chimney thing in my life...

Anyway, I think I've gone far too high based on the actual answer and the comments from all the chimney fetishists.

giphy.gif

You haven't seen my answer yet! :o

Advertisement