Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I had my first mince pie ever last year. I always thought they were awful, but they are actually quite nice!
    I've had 5 this year already - and fancy ones at that cause I picked some up in Avoca, and the MIL made homemade ones we had for dessert on Sunday.
    Himself though.... he must have eaten around 50 of them so far. But he is definitely not average in his love of them. I've been picking them up in the weekly shop since mid November though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    Both are vile and should be banned from human consumption :D
    If you don't like brussel sprouts you've just never had them cooked properly ;)

Adore Brussels sprouts. Despise mince pies....

I'm the opposite.

A mince pie and a glass of mulled wine....*drools on keyboard*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Judging by the amount that some deviants here are saying they've eaten already, I suspect I may have gone far too low with my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Can we get clarification on this question please. Is it how many are eaten by an average person, which in trigs case, the answer would be 0, or is it on average, how many are eaten per person (worldwide I assume).

I'm climbing up the table slowly and should be top at christmas so info like this is important.

PS. Great call on the sprouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

OK, so I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole but is this related to solely the Irish population or global???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Trigger wrote: »
    I'm average! The answer is bloody none! They are disgusting
    Posy wrote: »
    My answer is also none, bleeeurgh! :p

This should be the correct answer... no question!!

Kolido wrote: »
    Can we get clarification on this question please. Is it how many are eaten by an average person, which in trigs case, the answer would be 0, or is it on average, how many are eaten per person (worldwide I assume).

I'm climbing up the table slowly and should be top at christmas so info like this is important.

On average, how many per person

But also to clarify, Trigger is in no way average :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Neowise

In the last decade i have eaten zero mince pies and zero Brussel sprouts. I doubt that’ll increase this decade.

I’d eat Brussel Sprouts all day every day.

Mince pies - meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

On average, how many per person

But also to clarify, Trigger is in no way average :pac:

Yes, unfortunately I'm WAY above average..

Kneel before your new overlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If you don't like brussel sprouts you've just never had them cooked properly ;)

Cooking properly? Surely you mean burning in the depths of Hell

Ok, so I'm up to 11 mince pies now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Good morning elves, welcome to day 9 of the Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar!
    MessySpryHammerheadshark-size_restricted.gif

After yesterday's stress, let's relax with a nice little treat today...
    skynews-istock-image-mince-pies_4515471.jpg

Q9: How many mince pies does the average person eat over the Christmas period?

As always, PM me your answer before 7pm
    I'll reveal everyone's answers and scores around 8:00-8:30pm

On the basis I will be eating M&S mince pies when they are on sale well into February, what defines the Xmas period?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    On the basis I will be eating M&S mince pies when they are on sale well into February, what will everyone what think defines the Xmas period?
    ;)

Edit: just checked the source of the "correct" answer and it doesn't specify

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Kolido wrote: »

I would also like to know this. I don't imagine mince pies are a big thing in China. So it could massively skew the answer if you're talking worldwide.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I would also like to know this. I don't imagine mince pies are a big thing in China. So it could massively skew the answer if you're talking worldwide.
    In Ireland :)

Pretty sure the TodayFM survey didn't cover China

*wasn't actually TodayFM but I can't remember who it was now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I imagine the research took the number of mince pies sold over the December/January period and divided it by the population of the UK - since there is unlikely to be anyone counting mince pies in Ireland, and I would imagine the proportions are about the same. Including babies and small children who traditionally don't eat/despise mince pies. But then Santa will sway the average the other way.

On that basis I will submit the number that first occurred to me, which I suspect is a bit high but its being very persistent. Of course the lack of office and similar parties is going to be way different this year. But the figures wouldn't be for this year anyway. Oh dear, this is too complicated.

Edit - ah, overlapped with EN's answer.

bubblypop wrote: »

And that was just for breakfast today... :pac:

Every year I buy mince pies and Christmas pudding. When I unload my shopping, I dump the mince pies and Christmas pudding I bought the previous year and put the new ones in their spot in the cupboard.

Every year!

• Advertisement

And that was just for breakfast today... :pac:
    I'm proud of bubblypop :)

I have a 2 year old christmas pudding in the cupboard that is not likely to get eaten this year either.

looksee wrote: »
    I imagine the research took the number of mince pies sold over the December/January period and divided it by the population of the UK - since there is unlikely to be anyone counting mince pies in Ireland, and I would imagine the proportions are about the same. Including babies and small children who traditionally don't eat/despise mince pies. But then Santa will sway the average the other way.

On that basis I will submit the number that first occurred to me, which I suspect is a bit high but its being very persistent. Of course the lack of office and similar parties is going to be way different this year. But the figures wouldn't be for this year anyway. Oh dear, this is too complicated.

Edit - ah, overlapped with EN's answer.
    I'd say you're overthinking it, but given some of the PMs I receive you're about average :p

I chickened out and didn't use the number I first thought of, I suspect I will regret it!

Every year I buy mince pies and Christmas pudding. When I unload my shopping, I dump the mince pies and Christmas pudding I bought the previous year and put the new ones in their spot in the cupboard.

Every year!

Sure it's nice to have Christmas traditions, all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I've been having brussel sprouts at least once a week for the past week. Christmas foods are the best!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bubblypop wrote: »

Stop eating them, you're making my answer look worse than it already was!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I’d eat Brussel Sprouts all day every day.

Mince pies - meh

Do you find that you sit on your own a lot? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Do you find that you sit on your own a lot?

Hahahahaha :pac:

I just burst out laughing in the office :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Just for the record, I love mince pies, especially when they come straight out of the oven. I don't quite have the same stamina as I used to have for going through them, though. :)

Advertisement